LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
11-17-2008   #1 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

mangoman will become famous soon enoughmangoman will become famous soon enough
IGN: BumSmash
Class: Dacy
Level: 59
Guild: Mivehind
Default Does wanting to be independent = legit. motive?

Just had an eye-opening experience when I tried L. Tarask today.

When we got to the part where you had to bonk the rocks that spammed moon orbs, I chose to go to a spot everyone else didn't so as to get twice as much done in a quicker time. The healer that so graciously accompanied us got in a bit of a hissy, it seemed, and said something like "I can't be in two places at once..." Not minding if I died while recklessly soloing a side of a room, I kept on. Apparently everyone else died once on the other side before I did (no doubt owing to the amount of time it took her to type her remark), so I think the Eir voted on a stage restart. I thought that was stupid, as we still had two lives left. "k bye then" was the response, and she left.

Now, I"ll be honest with you guys. I"m not perfect, or even /that/ good. I don't expect to do most stages/raids without at least one healer present. But if people (I use the term loosely) like that are going to be the ones I rely on and bend my knee to, I'm thinking just eff it and be one myself. I feel like, in a strange altruistic way, I owe it to the Lunia community to be a healer whose ego isn't over-inflated and doesn't give the impression of mental retardation.

Of course, some people might feel that independence as a reason for class choice is a slippery slope. It starts with not wanting to rely on others for stages, and eventually winds up with not wanting to interact with people on any level because at some point you're gonna have to lean on those who don't suck. And if that's the case, better give up the joy of being able to play something for free endlessly and start saving up for that XBOX 360, as the former has group play as its foundation.

So, your thoughts?

Last edited by mangoman; 11-17-2008 at 05:11 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
11-17-2008   #2 (permalink)
Don't go, Simple+Clean~

LeafKunoichi is on a distinguished road
IGN: LeafKunoichi, ChocoVanill
Class: Eir/Healer
Guild: Illuminati

It's good to be independent, in game and IRL, but if you can be independent AND reliable on/to your teammates, that even better . Thats my opinion...

Sig by Synlight

Last edited by LeafKunoichi; 11-17-2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: the stuff i said bout FS healers didnt rly make sense -.-

11-17-2008   #3 (permalink)
fat fat fat fat fat PIG
PROBLEMS BUTA?!
Special Games
Aika OnlineAll Point Bulletin (APB)Alliance of Valiant ArmsAsda Story

buta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond repute

The games is built very much around partying. If you're going to go solo to one side, tell the healer to watch the other people.

Other than that, if you're so independent, go solo.

11-17-2008   #4 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Addict

Blorgh is on a distinguished road

In my opinion, it was premature of that healer to leave the room like that. So what if some people lose few lives before boss? That's what ress stone is for! (LOL)

Of course, she was right for the fact that she can't be at two places once. Perhaps you should have let her know that you'll be fine on your own and that you're not going to expect any support from her until the party regroups after that part.
Ah, how could this be? My comrades fall, one by one. This beautiful yet sad scene is a garden of roses, blown away by the brisk outdoor wind--
W-Wait, I'm the only one left! What do I do now!?

11-17-2008   #5 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

mangoman will become famous soon enoughmangoman will become famous soon enough
IGN: BumSmash
Class: Dacy
Level: 59
Guild: Mivehind

Since when do I have to keep healers updated on everything? (aside from f11, obv.) I assume if I go on the side where Eir isn't, there's a pretty good chance I'm not too worried about getting teh healz. Eir is starting to sound like the negative archetypical mom. She must be treated like a goddess, all the while being overbearing and having an insatiable urge to know what you're doing at all times.

Quote:
Other than that, if you're so independent, go solo.
Wouldn't get as much experience that way. =/

Guess I'm just anxious about handing out the most important position of a party to a potential doodoo-head. (Damn it's pathetic for me to relate to Neku...) Should I just lrn2trust, or assume the position?

11-18-2008   #6 (permalink)
fat fat fat fat fat PIG
PROBLEMS BUTA?!
Special Games
Aika OnlineAll Point Bulletin (APB)Alliance of Valiant ArmsAsda Story

buta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond repute

Then you're expecting them to read into it too much. It's the healers job to heal. If you don't want them to, tell them. Simple, yes?

Like most games built around partying, communication is required to be (mostly) successful. That does not mean that if you're playing, people suddenly become telepathic. And that does not mean that you gotta spam everything about yourself. Just stay somewhere between the two extremes.

11-18-2008   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Fiona is on a distinguished road

I said "I can't be in two places at once" to some people once with my Eir. But they deserved it. Because those morons ran off to separate paths (I think it was one of those Episode 1 stages where you needed to destroy the life stones. Or maybe mushroom collecting) and kept DYING in two places at once. I mean, seriously, don't go independent if you aren't good enough to be independent!

If you ARE good enough to be independent, then I didn't mind.

11-18-2008   #8 (permalink)
全砲門!Fire!
Special
Games
LuniaLuna OnlineLand of Chaos OnlineGrand Chase
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerWandering EyeTwitter FanPervert Award

Gladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud of
IGN: 混合
Level: ⑨
Guild: NoGay

Well... you should have told the Eir that you didn't need to be healed... and I agree that it's good to be independent. Or you could have gone solo

11-18-2008   #9 (permalink)
You talkin' to me?

Ultimaga will become famous soon enoughUltimaga will become famous soon enough
IGN: xVertigo
Class: NINJA! lu_sieg
Level: 8x
Guild: Fusion

my group is full of independent players, thats why we work so well together and dont have to rely on any class or any player for anything.

eventually, as you play more and more, you're going to want to do things without worrying about whomever may be in the party.

pick a group that wants to be as skilled and independent as you, grow with them, over time, you'll all get better, as a group and individually. then laugh at the ones that cant do anything without some sort of crutch.

off topic: HI FIONA

11-18-2008   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Fiona is on a distinguished road

Yea, some people can be relied on to do their own thing, and some can't. And it shouldn't be too hard for anyone with half a brain to figure out whether or not some guy they've never seen before can be relied on to be independent or whether they can't (Just check if they're dead one minute later or not).

OT: Hi, Ulti!

11-18-2008   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Lunar is a glorious beacon of lightLunar is a glorious beacon of lightLunar is a glorious beacon of lightLunar is a glorious beacon of lightLunar is a glorious beacon of lightLunar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona
Yea, some people can be relied on to do their own thing, and some can't. And it shouldn't be too hard for anyone with half a brain to figure out whether or not some guy they've never seen before can be relied on to be independent or whether they can't (Just check if they're dead one minute later or not).

OT: Hi, Ulti!
*me rushes*
lags temple guards own me *dead*
so.. guess i can't be independent lol

11-18-2008   #12 (permalink)
Pro in EVERY class

Ichi will become famous soon enoughIchi will become famous soon enough
IGN: Ichigon, Ichigirl, Ichiti
Class: Every Class
Level: 61, 60, 57, 60, 53, 50, 50, 65
Guild: Daysleepers, TheNakedHealer, SexyCat, 500Cent

just like in kirin, when fighting water chief, i always said before hand if i see some unfamiliar faces, "if you choose to stay up, make sure you don't die"

as an eir, i have a responsibiliy to keep the team alive, and it's annoying when 1 or 2 people do something on their own or keep dying and end up occupied all my heal and mp or even cause me to die.

and if you know how to keep yourself alive, sure, go ahead, why not?

11-18-2008   #13 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

Skiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Skiegh Send a message via MSN to Skiegh
IGN: Skiegh
Class: Sieg
Level: 56+

Well, some people are easily discouraged and will leave fairly easily if things go in a bad direction for a short time.

Independence is good, learn to play without the assistance of other classes and if things go wrong for you because you took on too much, tell them it was your fault. Most healers will naturally assume that someone who dies will blame the healer even if they don't speak. Letting them know you were at fault is a good way to keep their spirits up.

On the subject of making an Eir, do what I do. I have a chain of characters that I level in order of how much I want to level them and how fast I can get a party. I log on my Sieg first, if he doesn't get a party within a few minutes, I switch to my dainn, same deal. Then I switch to my Eir which is a guaranteed party within a few seconds. I try not to waste time looking for parties for too long on my Sieg anymore as I am in the zone where I can't really get parties very fast because if you are below 60 and above 50 as a Sieg, you get kicked a lot. (I guess no Iron hammer is a deal breaker? What ever happened to all those people that say level doesn't matter? They must be on break now.)

Far as how I use my Eir, I prefer attacking over healing. I love when I can just be on the other side of the room doing my own thing and every now and again tossing beads to the other side to keep my team at full. It's nice.

At the level my Eir is at now (38), I prefer to tease low level players who are too dependent on me. I'll purposely suck at healing if they run into too many attacks within the first few minutes of the map. I do this to Lime's especially because they run into Tarask's breath attack in a transformed state and expect me to heal 9,000 damage within in a few seconds.

(A little rant for no reason)
On a side note: Why are Dacys always so lazy? It's like they think they can use candy and then sit in a corner for the rest of the fight. They HAVE the ability to melee and you still regain MP while doing it. Use it. (I notice this a lot too.)

Candy is strong but it's not so strong that you have the right to do nothing the rest of the fight. The rest of your party will easily out damage your candy in a few seconds if you plan to sit in a corner.