/gg FTW! Stalker

TheDopi will become famous soon enoughTheDopi will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to TheDopi Send a message via MSN to TheDopi
IGN: dopi
Class: Sieg
Level: 67 (439)
Guild: DashAttack
Default Should I pay?

I recently made a bet with a person that I could beat another person's Lime in pvp. During the match, I was on the top wall comboing the Lime and part of my combo was as follows...

...6 kicking s (windmill to 6 9 9 8 7 4) c/c space shift as space space shift aa (windmill to 6 9 9 8 7 4) ...

The Lime said the windmill I did broke tourney rules and therefore was allowed to cheat his/herself, and proceeded to infinite combo me from full health to death (on the next life) with his/her 40 xform.

I lost the bet because (imo) it was a 2 life vs 3 life match.

Reason to not have to pay: Even if the windmills I did did break the tourney rules, they gave an additional 100 dmg and 2 or 3 seconds cooldown for both of us. His/her 40-xform did 7500 dmg and full cooldown for him/her.

Reason to have to pay: We didn't agree on rules beforehand and therefore anything could have gone.

Should I have to pay?

I hope you have a memorable tomorrow, including, but not limited to, the promising, golden hours of morning, the full, rich bloom of afternoon, and of course, the quiet, gentle hours of evening, when time, pausing for an instant and breathing a small sigh, rushes forward to greet the newly forming day. ~George Carlin

Read this to expand your miiinnd: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
08-06-2009   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Gatts has a little shameless behaviour in the past
IGN: OptimusGatts
Class: Sieg - The Knight lt_knight
Level: 5X

yes. there were no rules stated at the beginning. then he made up imaginary rules and then when u broke his imagination he imaginated his winning.

pay him imagination dollars.

08-06-2009   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict
Games
ElswordLunia

Leca has a spectacular aura aboutLeca has a spectacular aura about
IGN: Leca
Class: Runeslayer to_raccoon
Level: 48
Guild: AppleTree/Fusion

if you two had difficulties in agreeing to rules. than you two shouldnt have made a bet in the first place

heres my suggested ruleset

Best out of 3

a rule break will result in loss of that game

Last edited by Leca; 08-06-2009 at 07:24 PM.

08-06-2009   #4 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Bredgen has disabled reputation
IGN: iBredgen
Level: 75 RB

I would say no... your *breaking of rules* actually required skill (windmill.. combo.. blabla) and it didnt come near to killing him.
His infinite on you is cheap is lame and boring. So, not fair. Don't pay/make bets with losers who can't stand seeing someone more skillful than them.

08-06-2009   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Lunar is a glorious beacon of lightLunar is a glorious beacon of lightLunar is a glorious beacon of lightLunar is a glorious beacon of lightLunar is a glorious beacon of lightLunar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bredgen
I would say no... your *breaking of rules* actually required skill (windmill.. combo.. blabla) and it didnt come near to killing him.
His infinite on you is cheap is lame and boring. So, not fair. Don't pay/make bets with losers who can't stand seeing someone more skillful than them.
that and...
if he's so into tourney rules.. it results in a rematch

08-06-2009   #6 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

Yea that was also part of my reasoning Bregden, but since "skill" can't be quantified, I left it out. I do agree that two 180's take more skill than however lime's 40xform works, unless the latter is hard2do...

I hope you have a memorable tomorrow, including, but not limited to, the promising, golden hours of morning, the full, rich bloom of afternoon, and of course, the quiet, gentle hours of evening, when time, pausing for an instant and breathing a small sigh, rushes forward to greet the newly forming day. ~George Carlin

08-06-2009   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Lunar is a glorious beacon of lightLunar is a glorious beacon of lightLunar is a glorious beacon of lightLunar is a glorious beacon of lightLunar is a glorious beacon of lightLunar is a glorious beacon of light

the latter requires no lag and a bit of timing.. but it's not that hard to do
but it takes a lot of skill to catch u

08-06-2009   #8 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

My fault I got caught, made a dumb move that couldn't be remedied.

08-06-2009   #9 (permalink)
Belieb!
Games
Bloodline ChampionsLeague of LegendsRift: Planes of TelaraS4 League

JustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to beholdJustinBieber is a splendid one to behold
IGN: coolbeans
Class: boss lt_gunslinger
Level: ∞
Guild: kool kids klub

Don't pay, kid sounds like a real ***** anyway. <_<

08-06-2009   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

sentythee is just really nicesentythee is just really nicesentythee is just really nicesentythee is just really nice
Guild: Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar
that and...
if he's so into tourney rules.. it results in a rematch
That's a terrible tourny rule >>
"Oh crap, I'm down 2-0. I better cheat so I can try again"

Whether or not you were playing by tourny rules, it seems like you did lose the match (if yes, then by disqualification, if no then... by losing), and you said you would pay if you lost.

08-06-2009   #11 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Bredgen has disabled reputation
IGN: iBredgen
Level: 75 RB

^Yea but if the lime had any sense within him, he would have stopped the match so they can talk it over about what went wrong and what would be the consequences. He wouldn't have xformed and done some stupid infinite that takes u down from full to 0 hp in a couple of mins.
Its like getting infinite'd by a tia on the wall using AASS and that knee skill and then being said that "you lost fair and square, give me money"

08-06-2009   #12 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

I'm torn between the two things. I know that technically I "lost" but that's like giving a 1-life handicap

08-06-2009   #13 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentythee
That's a terrible tourny rule >>
"Oh crap, I'm down 2-0. I better cheat so I can try again"

Whether or not you were playing by tourny rules, it seems like you did lose the match (if yes, then by disqualification, if no then... by losing), and you said you would pay if you lost.
from wut dopi said it was an "even" match... it never restarts if one's winning
no going loopholes!

08-06-2009   #14 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

^Say what? Edit: Nevermind I got it. Yea it was pretty even until I got pwnedzorz.

Last edited by TheDopi; 08-06-2009 at 11:00 PM.

08-07-2009   #15 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Jumper is on a distinguished road

K-Style > Tourny-Style imo.

08-07-2009   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Jeneral is your worst nightmare!Jeneral is your worst nightmare!Jeneral is your worst nightmare!

omg lol

Tell that lime to play me dopi! I bet he sucks!

Last edited by Jeneral; 08-07-2009 at 10:21 AM.

08-07-2009   #17 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Fiona is on a distinguished road

Did you two say it'd be going by tourney rules in the first place? If there were no rules agreed to in the first place, then there were no rules to be broken and thus whoever won the match must be the winner because there are no such things as disqualifications when there are no rules to break.

08-07-2009   #18 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona
Did you two say it'd be going by tourney rules in the first place? If there were no rules agreed to in the first place, then there were no rules to be broken and thus whoever won the match must be the winner because there are no such things as disqualifications when there are no rules to break.
how would it be if someone challenged u to lets say basketball
ur playing, and it's nice and friendly so u assume those are the rules since who'd bother saying the rules before it starts
then at the end it's near a tie and the guy tackles u down and u shout foul
"i never said there were any rules against it, we're playing street style"

08-07-2009   #19 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Jumper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
ur playing, and it's nice and friendly so u assume those are the rules since who'd bother saying the rules before it starts
It's more like:

You brush up against the guy. He shouts foul. You argue that it was nothing. The guy then transforms into a giant blob of slime and eats you.

08-07-2009   #20 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Fiona is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Typically, most people play by basketball's rulebook rules. The same isn't the case for Lunia, so you shouldn't always be making the assumption that it is.

Honestly, if everyone is so bent up over some silly arbitrary ideas of which broken rule in the match was more broken then the other, then either don't pay or ask for a rematch. In the case of the former, it's not like either of you gave a dropping enough to care about the rules in the first place. After all, trying to justify the windmill breaking rule with a weak "Oh, but it didn't disadvantage him much!" excuse when it broke the rules and that's what matters is not how things work when it comes to breaking rules. A broken rule is a broken rule, whether or not it disadvantaged the other guy a lot. And in the lime's case, breaking a rule just because the other guy broke a rule is also an absolutely pathetic and unhonourable justification. For this reason, either just don't pay because this entire match was a complete farce in the first place, or have a rematch. Hopefully it'll be one where you two can actually have a match that isn't filled with silly arbitrary ideas of what justifies a rule and what doesn't.

Moral of the story? Get an actual rule book that you are SURE the populace at large is actually in general agreement on (which again is NOT the case with Lunia at the moment) if you want to play like the way people play basketball, and then make sure everyone follows it without any silly justifications of whether or not they should be allowed to break a rule.

Alternative moral of the story? Betting on PvP matches with a nonregulated system where the only regulation must be left up to random strangers instead of hired screened officials is stupid. Probably because lots of random strangers are stupid.

EDIT: Apologies to TheDopi if that just came off harsh. I just realized that someone somewhere did something very stupid regarding this recently and it has left me in a bad mood.

....one that makes me want to stress the alternative moral of the story even more, really.

Course, there is a third moral of the story. Don't break any rules in the first place.

Last edited by Fiona; 08-07-2009 at 01:41 PM.