10-31-2009   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Taylor has a spectacular aura aboutTaylor has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Taylor
IGN: TheDayStar
Class: Healer lu_eir
Level: 78 rbx2
Guild: Capcom + Kirei
Thumbs up Kirei Modding-- delete this. I may post the finished version later.

guide moved to another location.

(if you want a link to the new location so you can see every small update I do, pm me and I can send you a link. or you can just wait till I make an official release of the guide here. =/ )
"I'm getting really sick of all the elitist flamers who try to destroy creative and constructive ideas in an attempt to make themselves feel better about themselves. if you don't have any good ideas of your own, don't flame all over someone else's."

Last edited by Taylor; 11-08-2009 at 11:10 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
10-31-2009   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Guide moved to another location.
"I'm getting really sick of all the elitist flamers who try to destroy creative and constructive ideas in an attempt to make themselves feel better about themselves. if you don't have any good ideas of your own, don't flame all over someone else's."

Last edited by Taylor; 11-08-2009 at 01:30 PM.

11-04-2009   #3 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

tommmmmm is your worst nightmare!

One post can be as big as ~32 000 characters unless administrator sets it differently. Because I have seen/made posts longer than 15 000 characters at this forum we can safely assume that two posts one by one - will give you at least 30 000 characters of space. Which should suffice any needs. In case it doesn't - you've made a terrible designing error with releaving it that soon.

Conclusion: It is safe to reply.

Reason for writting it: What you want to do seems to be a pretty big project. Why not to allow users to reply and apply as helpers for the project?

11-04-2009   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommmmmm
One post can be as big as ~32 000 characters unless administrator sets it differently. Because I have seen/made posts longer than 15 000 characters at this forum we can safely assume that two posts one by one - will give you at least 30 000 characters of space. Which should suffice any needs. In case it doesn't - you've made a terrible designing error with releaving it that soon.

Conclusion: It is safe to reply.

Reason for writting it: What you want to do seems to be a pretty big project. Why not to allow users to reply and apply as helpers for the project?
I don't really have another place to post it as my website is over-run with russian/chinese
Spoiler!
spammers. Also Its not that big a project to do... I just need to find time to do it, that's all...

your conclusion was false by the way...

Last edited by Taylor; 11-04-2009 at 03:20 PM.

11-08-2009   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest

Griever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Griever
IGN: Werewolf
Class: Healer to_buffalo
Level: 20
Guild: RustyHearts

Not to be a ****, but is a guide for this really necessary?

Most of us already know how to edit all this. It's loosely covered in Light's guide and we're not doing brain surgery here.

11-08-2009   #6 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

tommmmmm is your worst nightmare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griever

Most of us already know how to edit all this. It's loosely covered in Light's guide and we're not doing brain surgery here.
well said

--
(at least 10 character post)

11-08-2009   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Lunia

taeo has a spectacular aura abouttaeo has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to taeo
IGN: Opponent Itosken
Class: Sieg Sieg lu_sieg
Level: 24 69
Guild: Titans/Illuminati

Quote:

Dont be a flamer.

OP: Complete this darn guide >=O, i wanna make a smexy Eir pet lolol
12/20/11

11-08-2009   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Quote:

you're right actually. Light does have a guide on xml editing, and if you'd like me to stop writing mine, which covers more than simple code swaps and edits, keep flaming. =/
This guide is going to go over a lot more complex things. now... because everyone is getting so angry about this not being finished.. I think I'm going to take this guide down, complete it on another website, and then maybe post it here when I'm done.
it was supposed to help people learn the relationships between different files so they could do more than simple file-swap mods. boss to npc mod? that's a file swap method. -_- clothing mods? file swap. character to another character? file swap. pet to eir?
****ing complex.
alright? there are a lot of people out there who don't fully understand the relationships between these files. If you can understand these relationships, you'll be able to edit Lunia as if it were open source.

Last edited by Taylor; 11-08-2009 at 01:38 PM.

11-08-2009   #9 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardMoM AwardPervert Award

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

Some mods while interesting, can cause more damage then good.
XML editing requires perfection, one tiny flaw can cause many errors, some which can't be easily reversed.

That was one of the reasons why I left out XML editing, as the previous guide which used that technique got more complaints and problems then actual results.

The second reason was the complexity.
In comparison to a few swaps as opposed to coding a file, it was far easier for the general userbase to switch some files, instead of attempting to code things around.
XML is more hassle then it's worth when there are easier alternatives, and many agree with me on that.
--

My advice to you, is if you intend to explain simple-mildly complicated XML edits (which are what you mention), you will have to do so with great detail and pinpoint accuracy, without making it overly complicated and hard to understand.
Not everyone can understand things on the same level as another, and not all complicated things can be explained in a simple manner.

That will be your major stepping stone in this guide, Good Luck.

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

11-08-2009   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
Some mods while interesting, can cause more damage then good.
XML editing requires perfection, one tiny flaw can cause many errors, some which can't be easily reversed.

That was one of the reasons why I left out XML editing, as the previous guide which used that technique got more complaints and problems then actual results.

The second reason was the complexity.
In comparison to a few swaps as opposed to coding a file, it was far easier for the general userbase to switch some files, instead of attempting to code things around.
XML is more hassle then it's worth when there are easier alternatives, and many agree with me on that.
--

My advice to you, is if you intend to explain simple-mildly complicated XML edits (which are what you mention), you will have to do so with great detail and pinpoint accuracy, without making it overly complicated and hard to understand.
Not everyone can understand things on the same level as another, and not all complicated things can be explained in a simple manner.

That will be your major stepping stone in this guide, Good Luck.
edit*
lol light... yes. xml editing sucks. xD It makes a great finished product but causes a hell of a lot more fatal errors than the other methods. ahaha xD

Thanks, Light. And you're right. XML editing is pretty complex and it would baffle a lot of people. I'm hoping this guide can kind of explain things to people in such a way that they can create new mods for themselves. Like you said, using xml edits can be really tricky, and more trouble than they are worth. But when the only way to do something is by using XML edits... you may as well learn the XML editing technique.
ps: imagine having a ton of sieg's run at you in the slime event thing. It could happen. *poof!* another sieg just got hit. shadow clones, I tell ya.

Last edited by Taylor; 03-31-2010 at 10:19 AM.