Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Eudemons Online

Rating:  

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
04-20-2009   #61 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

GreenGod will become famous soon enough

WhatThePhuc, you're looking at dps as a concept of damage divided by time frame. In other words, you're taking the average amount of damage done each second in a given situation. That has no use in any other place outside of it. The thing that someone used a destruction fist and AFK'ed for half an hour doesn't make destruction fist a near 0 dps skill. The value you give is only useful for a question like:
How much damage did the Sieg do in 30min? (info: dps=1.3)
1.3*30*60=2340 dmg

With your dps definition, Sieg probably has one the highest dps of all characters. He can do 711-791 * 6 in 2.13s with IH, for 2115 dps. Add AEH for 3173 dps. The question is: how often can he do it? That's why people say burst damage.

The only dps measures I consider useful are:
- Constant dps, done by a routine of skills and attacks (and potions if you plan to use) that yield a net 0 MP loss. With this you could compare between people and say things like "your dps is higher than mine". Obviously, it doesn't take into account dodging, dying, healing, combos, buffs, the stage, luck or other stuff that isn't constant. It's more like a constant dps against either boss or mobs.

- Burst dps, done by a routine of skills and attacks that use all your MP in a short period. The idea is to cause as much damage as possible in the shortest time. This is probably easier to compare as there isn't much dodging when you do this routine.

Trying to max those 2 for your character is what you should care about, unless you have other role apart from dealing damage, like healing or freezing.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
04-20-2009   #62 (permalink)
STEP
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardSotW BeginnerWandering EyeFacebook FanTwitter Fan

WhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePhuc Send a message via MSN to WhatThePhuc
IGN: Phuc Tran
Class: Visual Arts Major lt_warlord
Level: 23
Guild: University of California, San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGod
WhatThePhuc, you're looking at dps as a concept of damage divided by time frame. In other words, you're taking the average amount of damage done each second in a given situation. That has no use in any other place outside of it. The thing that someone used a destruction fist and AFK'ed for half an hour doesn't make destruction fist a near 0 dps skill. The value you give is only useful for a question like:
How much damage did the Sieg do in 30min? (info: dps=1.3)
1.3*30*60=2340 dmg

With your dps definition, Sieg probably has one the highest dps of all characters. He can do 711-791 * 6 in 2.13s with IH, for 2115 dps. Add AEH for 3173 dps. The question is: how often can he do it? That's why people say burst damage.

The only dps measures I consider useful are:
- Constant dps, done by a routine of skills and attacks (and potions if you plan to use) that yield a net 0 MP loss. With this you could compare between people and say things like "your dps is higher than mine". Obviously, it doesn't take into account dodging, dying, healing, combos, buffs, the stage, luck or other stuff that isn't constant. It's more like a constant dps against either boss or mobs.

- Burst dps, done by a routine of skills and attacks that use all your MP in a short period. The idea is to cause as much damage as possible in the shortest time. This is probably easier to compare as there isn't much dodging when you do this routine.

Trying to max those 2 for your character is what you should care about, unless you have other role apart from dealing damage, like healing or freezing.
dps is calculated based on situation, not by skill
so you can't calculate the dps of destruction fist, since it is a skill, not a situation

i agree, sieg does have high potential dps in a short time frame
so does lime

and yes, calculating dps helps you plan out ways to improve your constant(long time frame) and/or burst(short time frame) dps

@jumper
i can't change the title, so i edited my first post to be more clear

Last edited by WhatThePhuc; 04-20-2009 at 02:43 PM.

04-20-2009   #63 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
LuniaAlicia

iARE1337 is a jewel in the roughiARE1337 is a jewel in the roughiARE1337 is a jewel in the roughiARE1337 is a jewel in the rough

Lunia does indeed have DPS. The unique part of this game is that every class provides Dps/dpm or some type of damage overtime. I think this guide is trying to accomplish some mean of finding DPS at a constant variable. The issue with that is the gameplay style of Lunia that makes doing damage very situational. A Sieg could be doing more damage than a Dainn and vice versa. Does that mean Siegs in general have a higher DPS then Dainn? No. DPS does exist but is far less straight forward in Lunia compared to other games.