Try 

League of Legends

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
05-30-2011   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Games
MapleStoryLuniaLa TaleDragon Saga

Beel is a jewel in the roughBeel is a jewel in the roughBeel is a jewel in the rough
Default Have You Read Any of These?

Hi, fellow /ggFTWers! Even though it's summer, my evil high-school teachers are still piling on the work, and one of these creatures is my soon-to-be AP English Literature teacher. Because she allows her students to choose between certain literary works, I'm wondering if you guys have read any of these and what you thought of them!

NONFICTION

How to Read Literature like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster

NOVELS

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

PLAYS

"The Tempest" by William Shakespeare
"A Doll's House" by Henrik Ibsen
"Pygmalion" by George Bernard Shaw

Thanks! =D

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
05-30-2011   #2 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
DofusWorld of WarcraftSword 2Soul Master
Awards Facebook Fan

kuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to kuyaBaka Send a message via Skype™ to kuyaBaka
IGN: Unicornkitty
Class: Holy Paladin (PvE+PvP)
Level: Pro-level.
Guild: Get Some LLC

I haven't read The Metamorphosis myself, but it was an option for me during my AP English classes in High School. Some of my friends did read it, and told me it was a pretty good book. A lot of others in the class beg to differ, though.

Diablo 3: 60 Witch Doctor; Battletag: Kebbysaurus#1662
WoW(US): Gishy(Mal'Ganis), Unicornkitty(Hyjal), Yigit(Hyjal)
tumblr? | twitter me timbers!

05-30-2011   #3 (permalink)
Lei
偽りの幸せはいらない
Games
Trickster OnlineLa TaleLuniaAudition
Awards Event Winner

Lei is a glorious beacon of lightLei is a glorious beacon of lightLei is a glorious beacon of lightLei is a glorious beacon of lightLei is a glorious beacon of light
Level: 1

I read both The Metamorphosis and A Doll's House a year or two ago for a class. They're both pretty short, and there's quite a bit of (supposed?) symbolism in them. I thought both of them weren't bad. Anyhow, I'd recommend A Doll's House if you'd rather read something a tad more normal. You could try The Metamorphosis if you're up to something a little more out there.

Please read the - forum rules - and keep out of trouble. :3

05-30-2011   #4 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Tardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond repute

I read How to Read Literature like a Professor for my AP Lit. class this year and it was an interesting book and it definitely is a good read whether you decide on reading it or not as it can help those not-as-good-at-identifying-Lit. devices (such as me) understand it better.

If you chose to read Kafka's piece, be prepared to have to analyze it until you die. It is one of those pieces that just has an extreme level of symbolism in it and most teachers require you to know just about every inch of it (that you can).

06-01-2011   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
LuniaAlicia

iARE1337 is a jewel in the roughiARE1337 is a jewel in the roughiARE1337 is a jewel in the roughiARE1337 is a jewel in the rough

I read Siddhartha and I thought it was pretty dull. Maybe reading about a man's spiritual journey isn't my thing.

It's a pretty short book and draws quite a bit of Buddhist parallels.

Last edited by iARE1337; 06-01-2011 at 09:57 AM.

06-01-2011   #6 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIkariamSword 2La Tale
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent Winner

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
The writing style is simple, but everything is a metaphor. Even the plot is a metaphor. It's not a difficult book, especially if you are the philosophical sort who often ponders the meaning of life.

The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
Surreal, weird, disorienting. Also quite slow. You need patience both for following the story AND understanding the meaning of the plot. Also, be warned that it's a mind-eff. If you're familiar with the literary term "Kafkaesque", this is its origin.