ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Literature (http://ggftw.com/forum/literature/)
-   -   The Great Gatsby (http://ggftw.com/forum/literature/92057-great-gatsby.html)

CountBlood 02-24-2011 12:28 AM

The Great Gatsby

Who here has read this fascinating book?

http://www.sc.edu/library/spcoll/aml...lchio/gg1a.jpg

At first I thought it dragged on, but like most great novels, it picked up in the middle, and ended heartily.

Also, the final line of this book, brilliant. :py16:

DarkAmbience 02-24-2011 12:36 AM

I read this book 2 yrs ago in my 11th grade English class.
IMO, one of the better books that schools require us to read.

I was pretty much bored during some parts of the book, but a lot of it is good.

This and Romeo & Juliet are my favorite required reading books.

CountBlood 02-24-2011 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAmbience (Post 1479588)
I read this book 2 yrs ago in my 11th grade English class.
IMO, one of the better books that schools require us to read.

I was pretty much bored during some parts of the book, but a lot of it is good.

This and Romeo & Juliet are my favorite required reading books.

Yeah exact reason why I read it, still enjoyed it more than A Tale of Two Cities

PedroRomero 02-24-2011 12:48 PM

well i must say that i'm glad it was as short as it was. I was never a fan of this one although I do appreciate it and I do think it belongs in the literary canon.

My friend asked me to name a great american novel and I named this one because of the themes it covers. I think it lends itself well to the discussion of "the american dream". She was surprised because it's known that I dislike it. I had to read it twice. One for 10th grade and another time in my 20th century American novel course in uni.

If you like Fitzgerald you might like "This Side of Paradise". It is my favorite book by him and if I remember correctly it's his first one.

that said: nick caraway is gay!

CountBlood 02-24-2011 04:07 PM

...Wait whut?

PedroRomero 02-24-2011 04:47 PM

lol sorry i was just saying that although i don't like the book i can see why it's in the literary canon. also my favorite book by Fitzgerald is "This Side of Paradise" which is also about the american dream.

one of my teachers one time argued that Nick Carraway was gay and it was pretty hilarious. Remember that scene where Nick was in the elevator with that artist dude? sorry it's been a while since I read it but that's a pretty gay scene

Marzai 02-24-2011 05:55 PM

Yep. I've read The Great Gatsby in my Junior year in high school, and I enjoyed it in its fullest. Heck, we even watched the movie of it, and my English teacher just couldn't stop making fun of it the whole way through because of how badly and cheesy they made it. The whole class laughed.

The one character that really stuck out to me though was Jordan. She seemed to be one of the more complicated characters. Nick Caraway as the narrator tried to make the reader 'like him' as my teacher had said it. He tried too hard to make us like him, and Jordan is way out of his league.

I still need to purchase that book and reread it again. Heck, I just need to start reading again.

CountBlood 02-24-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedroRomero (Post 1480124)
lol sorry i was just saying that although i don't like the book i can see why it's in the literary canon. also my favorite book by Fitzgerald is "This Side of Paradise" which is also about the american dream.

one of my teachers one time argued that Nick Carraway was gay and it was pretty hilarious. Remember that scene where Nick was in the elevator with that artist dude? sorry it's been a while since I read it but that's a pretty gay scene

Oh I got that first part, I just didn't understand the Nick is gay thing, I don't remember that scene from the book, perhaps it was from the movie? Either way, I haven't seen any of the various film adaptations yet. We're supposed to watch the '74 version next week. I'll see how terrible it is!

PedroRomero 02-24-2011 08:20 PM

it was in the book. he rode the elevator with a man when he went to Tom's party. Then he went back to said man's room to look at his photography. i've never seen a great gatsby movie