ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Literature (http://ggftw.com/forum/literature/)
-   -   Looking for recommendations (http://ggftw.com/forum/literature/87021-looking-recommendations.html)

Point 11-30-2010 07:38 PM

Looking for recommendations

backstory (can be ignored): I've been reading from elementary to around grade 9 but stopped then because others things started taking up my time. Very soon I've stopped reading altogether. Because of this, I've been finding myself forgetting words often, or writing awkward sentences, and it's really annoying because I know that I've learned those words and could write way better before.

So basically I'm looking for novels that are more professional/advanced in style, but aren't too boring either. This is excluding the things you read in high school English class of course. Moreover, I probably won't have too much time to read, so quality over quantity if possible.

Thanks ;3

Inexosino 11-30-2010 10:11 PM

What are your tastes? If you enjoy apocalyptic thrill rides, then try reading The Swarm by Frank Schätzing, it's a pretty good one. The Passage and Idlewild are also good reads. Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days by Alastair Reynolds is both short and entertaining, although it's less apocalyptic and more sci-fi noir. The Golden Age from John C. Wright is a bit hard to stomach but an epic "space opera," or you can check out Elantris if you prefer fantasy.

Point 11-30-2010 11:41 PM

There are just a few genres that I don't like as much. In general, they're adventure, story set further than 50 years back (I find it hard to relate) and romance. There are always exceptions though of course.

Thanks for the list =] will check some of them out.

Dani 12-02-2010 08:56 PM

Forgot the author but search for The Devouring series on google. The book site is the first one that pops up. The novels don't take way too much time to read and idk, seem professional enough to me lol. They're horror/mystery/sci-fi, btw. I'm on the third book now o/

If you like deep plot-y things with deep meaning try The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I actually had to read it for my english class but I really enjoyed it.

Also there is the Longlight Legacy series by Dennis Foon. The first book is called The Dirt Eaters. Sounds weird, I know, but I really enjoyed it and am reading the second book in the series now.

Thats all that comes to mind lol

Pathos 12-11-2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Point (Post 1413250)
There are just a few genres that I don't like as much. In general, they're adventure, story set further than 50 years back (I find it hard to relate) and romance. There are always exceptions though of course.

I'm currently reading Sir Gawain and the Green Knight for my English class. Although written during the 15th century, this romance is actually interesting if you enjoy magic, symbolism, etc. However, it is somewhat challenging to read because the author, dubbed the Pearl Poet, wrote Sir Gawain and the Green Knight with long descriptions of a certain aspect in the romance, such as the description of the Green Knight, spanning seventy lines.

I actually do not have a book version of the romance, but instead a scanned copy from my teacher's book. You could probably get a prose translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by J.R.R. Tolkien & E.V. Gordon. Or if you want to read the poem in its original meter, try getting a translation of the poem by Theodore Howard Banks.

Some other books that I recommend are:
- The Shipping News by Annie Proulx
- Catch 22 by Joseph Heller (somewhat long and difficult to read initially, but rather fast-paced once you delve into it. a lot of irony/humor.)