ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > Off Topic > General Discussion > Literature

Perfect World
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Perfect World

Rating:  

View Poll Results: What should be the Book for week 2?
Jumper by Steven Gould 1 33.33%
Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
09-01-2008   #1 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games
MapleStoryLuniaKingdom of LoathingCity of Heroes
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM AwardPervert Award

Location: Narnia, and the north! Wait....is Narnia supposed to be Canada?
Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi
IGN: SakiaLumei, Arphage
Class: Aran, Blaze Wiz lt_treasurehunter
Level: 9x,3x
Guild: Cupcake
Default Pages update: BoTW #2 tiebreaker, also, should this continue?

Okay, first off, we got so few votes that we had a tie. So I'll be extending this poll to another week to see what people want to read.

What happened to Tom Sawyer?

Our first book, The adventures of Tom Sawyer, had it's discussion thread up, but to no avail. Seriously, did Anyone at all read this?? IT was a great book, but it seems as though no one was interested. ._.

Project failed??!!

It doesn't surprise me that not many people these days have an interest in reading, but when a community as a whole seems to take an interest, but then they just turn out to not want to bother, it perplexes me.

So tell me, fellow MOGers, should this little club stay open? Am I the only one even reading? O-o

Tiebreaker!

Here's week 2's books that got votes, put up for a tiebreaker.

Jumper by Steven Gould

Quote:
The sudden discovery of his teleportation ability rescues teenager David Rice from his abusive father. It also signals the beginning of a new life for the troubled young man. Gould's first novel features a hero who is not particularly wise and whose ethics are sometimes questionable, but whose yearnings and psychological turmoil ring true.

Silence of the lambs by Thomas Harris
Quote:
Clarice Starling, a precociously self-disciplined FBI trainee, is dispatched by her boss, Section Chief Jack Crawford, the FBI's most successful tracker of serial killers, to see whether she can learn anything useful from Dr. Hannibal Lecter. Lecter's a gifted psychopath whose nickname is "The Cannibal" because he likes to eat parts of his victims. Isolated by his crimes from all physical contact with the human race, he plays an enigmatic game of "Clue" with Starling, providing her with snippets of data that, if she is smart enough, will lead her to the criminal. Undaunted, she goes where the data takes her. As the tension mounts and the bureaucracy thwarts Starling at every turn, Crawford tells her, "Keep the information and freeze the feelings." Insulted, betrayed, and humiliated, Starling struggles to focus. If she can understand Lecter's final, ambiguous scrawl, she can find the killer. But can she figure it out in time?

Suggestions~

As Always, I'm still looking for suggestions for books, as well as themes for the week.

Next week's theme: Free for all!

There will be no theme, I'll just take some of the random suggestions and post em up here in a poll <3

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
09-01-2008   #2 (permalink)
why so serious?
Special

BatgirlZKE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BatgirlZKE Send a message via MSN to BatgirlZKE Send a message via Yahoo to BatgirlZKE
IGN: SelenaKyle
Class: Cat (Charm) to_entertainer
Level: 123
Guild: Pantsu

I enjoy reading but I'm usually in the middle of a series or stuck on a certain genre. So it'd hard for me to just stop and read another book.
Maybe we could just see if we can get a subforum and discuss books/series in different threads (like we do with Movies, Anime, etc)

***Visit G0tham City!*Population*Industry*Transportation***

09-01-2008   #3 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games
MapleStoryLuniaKingdom of LoathingCity of Heroes
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM AwardPervert Award

Location: Narnia, and the north! Wait....is Narnia supposed to be Canada?
Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi
IGN: SakiaLumei, Arphage
Class: Aran, Blaze Wiz lt_treasurehunter
Level: 9x,3x
Guild: Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatgirlZKE
I enjoy reading but I'm usually in the middle of a series or stuck on a certain genre. So it'd hard for me to just stop and read another book.
Maybe we could just see if we can get a subforum and discuss books/series in different threads (like we do with Movies, Anime, etc)
Yeah, we probably should. I never wan sure if many of our members read books. I'll go suggest it.

09-01-2008   #4 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

LaRex is on a distinguished road

I'm new here but I'd be interested in a literary discussion type thing too. Shame that not many forums have anything for it though. Worse is the ones that do are all just Twilight/Harry Potter. D:

09-01-2008   #5 (permalink)
늑대와 미녀
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineTrickster OnlineGrand ChaseAudition
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent WinnerGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Senior

Kudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Kudaranai

why are you hating on my Twilight, I can't read serious books all the time Q___Q

09-11-2008   #6 (permalink)
Benevolent Misfortune
Games
Ragnarok OnlineTrickster OnlineGunboundLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

Sanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud of
IGN: Sanichi
Class: Scholar
Level: 50
Guild: FrenchBread

Must Read:
[Same author to]
In the forests of the night
Demon in my View
Shattered Mirrow
Midnight Predetor
HawkSong
SnakeCharm (?)
FalconDance
WolfCry
WyernHail
[this point]

[same author]
Twilight
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn <---- Trying to check out this bad boy at my shcool but...
[to this point]
(Yes, I read too many Vampire Novels.

--Frenchbread is

09-11-2008   #7 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIkariamSword 2La Tale
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent Winner

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I'm picky with books. o_o I usually just read what I prefer.

09-12-2008   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

HennaIkimono will become famous soon enough

I tried to read Tom Sawyer, but ended up losing interest. I guess, like other everyone else, I usually only read a book when I feel like it, and its interesting enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRex
I'm new here but I'd be interested in a literary discussion type thing too. Shame that not many forums have anything for it though. Worse is the ones that do are all just Twilight/Harry Potter. D:
Hey, I like the Harry Potter books. I'm not oppsesed with the series, but I enjoyed them a lot and they are books that I would read again if it were chosen for one of these discutions.
Justice, Il 60458
Flat Lick, Ky 40935
Paint Lick Ky 40461
Flower Mound, Tx 75022
Cumming, Ga 30040
King of Prussia, Ga 19406

09-13-2008   #9 (permalink)
cheese on a stick

Globalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Globalastro Send a message via MSN to Globalastro Send a message via Yahoo to Globalastro Send a message via Skype™ to Globalastro
IGN: Globby (Wonderking)
Class: Wizard lt_mage
Level: 4x
Guild: Prinny doods

i wont get to the library again till friday. so hopefully the next book will be up so i can look for it lol.

currently im reading Steven King's The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon but i should be finished with it on monday... (stupid library with very limited steven king books.... they only had copies opof his books that i own every book but the first in the dark tower series.... ugh LOL)

i suggest Liseys Story by Steven King or Looking Glass Wars (alternate take on alice in wonderland from alyss's point of view as if she actually was from wonderland and escaped to london through the pool of tears to escape the massacre of her evil aunt Redd) by frank Beddor
or even the original alice' s adventures in wonderland... oh how i love that book

09-13-2008   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

HennaIkimono will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalastro
i suggest Liseys Story by Steven King or Looking Glass Wars (alternate take on alice in wonderland from alyss's point of view as if she actually was from wonderland and escaped to london through the pool of tears to escape the massacre of her evil aunt Redd) by frank Beddor
or even the original alice' s adventures in wonderland... oh how i love that book
I'd read Alice's original adventure again, but Looking Glass Wars sounds interesting.
Justice, Il 60458
Flat Lick, Ky 40935
Paint Lick Ky 40461
Flower Mound, Tx 75022
Cumming, Ga 30040
King of Prussia, Ga 19406

09-14-2008   #11 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

I started reading Tom Sawyer but after the first two chapters I found myself bored with the subject matter. I'll probably try to pick it up again later, but there are a number of other books I think I'll find more interesting.

09-15-2008   #12 (permalink)
cheese on a stick

Globalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Globalastro Send a message via MSN to Globalastro Send a message via Yahoo to Globalastro Send a message via Skype™ to Globalastro
IGN: Globby (Wonderking)
Class: Wizard lt_mage
Level: 4x
Guild: Prinny doods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennaIkimono
I'd read Alice's original adventure again, but Looking Glass Wars sounds interesting.
ooh, believe me, it is lol. Frank beddor even went so far as to make a wonderland vs real world timeline linking things that happened through out wonderland and with wonderland characters and linked them to real world history. Granted, i'm pissed that there is still no release date for the third book yet because hes too busy working on a movie version and at this point I've read book 1 7 times and book 2 3-4 times lol