ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > Off Topic > General Discussion > Literature

Vindictus
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Vindictus

Rating:  

View Poll Results: Which book should be Pages' first book of the week?
"Frankenstein" by Mary Shelly 6 26.09%
"Great Expectations" by Charles D i c kens 4 17.39%
"The call of the Wild" by Jack London 2 8.70%
"The hound of the Baskervilles" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 3 13.04%
"The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" by Mark Twain 8 34.78%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
08-04-2008   #1 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games
MapleStoryLuniaKingdom of LoathingCity of Heroes
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM AwardPervert Award

Location: Narnia, and the north! Wait....is Narnia supposed to be Canada?
Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi
IGN: SakiaLumei, Arphage
Class: Aran, Blaze Wiz lt_treasurehunter
Level: 9x,3x
Guild: Cupcake
Default Pages poll #1: Classics

Pages? What the...? (Read here if you don't know what this is lol)

Pages: The MyMMOG book club book of the week poll

Well, here we go, this is the first one to get us started, so I though we could use Classic pieces of literature.

Since this is the first poll (and I want more people to get involved), I'll leave it open for a bit longer than my original intent, maybe two weeks? After that, new polls every Sunday, with the poll closing friday of the next week. Yes, the poll will be open while the previous book is still being read, so that when that week's discussion thread goes up, the new book is decided. :D

btw: You don't have to participate in order to vote :D

Okay, since these are classic works, I went to make sure they were easy to find. These are books you should be able to find in any library, but just in case, They all can be found online:
Literature.org - The Online Literature Library

links are also included on the titles.

"Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein
A scientist, Frankenstein, discovers the secret of animating lifeless matter and, by assembling body parts, creates a monster. Rejected by society, Frankensteinís monster vows revenge on his creator.

"Great Expectations" by Charles D i c kens (lol language filter)

This is the only one without a link, as none of the e-books i can fid that I like don't use his last name in the link. Just go to Literature.org - The Online Literature Library and search for him there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Expectations
Great Expectations follows the life of young Pip, from his awakening to life. It goes on to tell the story of a young working class lad in England, who inherits a fortune from an unknown source and becomes a gentleman.

"The hound of the Baskervilles" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The hound of the Baskervilles
Taking place in both London and Devon, the novel traces the story of American Sir Henry Baskerville, the heir to a considerable estate after the death of Sir Charles Baskerville of a heart attack. Due to a West Country legend about a huge demon dog roaming the moors and seeking an ancient vengeance against the Baskervilles, locals are convinced that Sir Charles' death was no accident. Sherlock Holmes is invited by a certain Dr. Mortimer to investigate the matter for the benefit of Sir Henry. Holmes and his sidekick Watson who is sent ahead to Devon are drawn into a fatal adventure of superstition and revenge on the barren, gloomy moors in this hugely enjoyable mystery.

"The Call of the Wild" by Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by The call of the wild
The Call of the Wild tells the story of a dog named Buck. He is stolen from his home in the Santa Clara Valley of California, and taken to the Alaskan gold fields to be a sled dog. This story tells the life of Buck as he is passed from owner to owner.

"The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer" by Mark Twain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer
Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer is one part trickster, one escape artist and one part very lucky fellow! The Adventures of Tom Sawyer takes the reader along on a series of entertaining adventures and pranks while Tom's youthful romance with his sweetheart Becky Thatcher blooms in the background.

Last edited by Mitchi; 08-04-2008 at 08:03 AM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
08-04-2008   #2 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIkariamSword 2La Tale
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent Winner

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

...I've always been drawn to the more dramatic Classics like Les Miserables and Wuthering Heights. None of those are in my bookshelf. D:

08-04-2008   #3 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games

Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharsis
...I've always been drawn to the more dramatic Classics like Les Miserables and Wuthering Heights. None of those are in my bookshelf. D:
I only got two suggestions, so I pulled random other ones from the site I posted.

08-04-2008   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

fieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura aboutfieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura about
IGN: Look behind you and ask them.

What constitutes the word "classic"?

Books published before the 1900s that emphasize Romanticism and the idea that the Romans and Greeks were the founders of modern thought and science? Or books that are timeless by nature and inherently good regardless of when or by whom they were written?

TrueSilverFox and Mon_Ami roamed Caballa together in Trickster Online, searching its ruins of splendor.

Valeria, sworn only to her sword and herself, traverses Erinn in Mabinogi with her pet silver fox, Truesilver.

"Whoa, TrueSilverFox, girl! Anyone ever tell you you look like some sun-bronzed Greek Goddess these days?"

08-04-2008   #5 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieryshadowcard
What constitutes the word "classic"?

Books published before the 1900s that emphasize Romanticism and the idea that the Romans and Greeks were the founders of modern thought and science? Or books that are timeless by nature and inherently good regardless of when or by whom they were written?
Books that appeared on wishbone? /o/

Honest answer, I think the latter? Like I said, I just pulled half of those choices out of nowhere due to lack of suggestions.

08-04-2008   #6 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I haven't found the time to PM my book suggestions. @_@ I thought the window time would be longer lol...

08-04-2008   #7 (permalink)
Awards Event WinnerEvent WinnerSotW Beginner

Solemn is on a distinguished road

Lol...too bad it's not multiple-choice. *still deciding between Great Expectations and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer* Both were really good... :\

08-04-2008   #8 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharsis
Sorry, I haven't found the time to PM my book suggestions. @_@ I thought the window time would be longer lol...
You can Pm your suggestions any time you get a chance, I just wanted to get this up and running while i was still motivated to. If I wait too long, I get Lazy ._.

08-04-2008   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

HennaIkimono will become famous soon enough

lol, I don't own any of those books, not sure which to pick.
Justice, Il 60458
Flat Lick, Ky 40935
Paint Lick Ky 40461
Flower Mound, Tx 75022
Cumming, Ga 30040
King of Prussia, Ga 19406

08-04-2008   #10 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
MabinogiDC Universe OnlineVindictusLineage II
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardStaff AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularMoM AwardSotW SeniorHarem JuniorLucky StreakArtifact HoarderFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Joey is the ultimate pervertJoey is the ultimate pervertJoey is the ultimate pervertJoey is the ultimate pervertJoey is the ultimate pervertJoey is the ultimate pervertJoey is the ultimate pervertJoey is the ultimate pervertJoey is the ultimate pervertJoey is the ultimate pervertJoey is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Nasu Kha
Class: Carpenter lt_knight
Level: 60
Guild: Rapscallions
Xfire: glarbage

lole, I <3 The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

08-04-2008   #11 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennaIkimono
lol, I don't own any of those books, not sure which to pick.
I only own Call of the wild, which I doubt will win the poll lol

08-05-2008   #12 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

Even though these are all well known books I've only read Frankenstein. I voted for Tom Sawyer, as I've always meant to read the book but never got around to it.

08-06-2008   #13 (permalink)
Hanging by a Thread
Special
Awards Pervert Award

Guiles is a name known to allGuiles is a name known to allGuiles is a name known to allGuiles is a name known to allGuiles is a name known to allGuiles is a name known to all
Class: Some kind of mage shat lt_sorcerer
Guild: MyMMOGames

Only eight votes.

*dies*

08-06-2008   #14 (permalink)
STEP
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardSotW BeginnerWandering EyeFacebook FanTwitter Fan

WhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePhuc Send a message via MSN to WhatThePhuc
IGN: Phuc Tran
Class: Visual Arts Major lt_warlord
Level: 23
Guild: University of California, San Diego

what no les miserables?
haha
imo, huck finn > tom sawyer

i pick frankenstein though

08-06-2008   #15 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiles
Only eight votes.

*dies*
Lol, and the votes are all skewed towards two choices.

Come on people, vote, even if you're not gonna participate.

08-06-2008   #16 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
DofusWorld of WarcraftSword 2Soul Master
Awards Facebook Fan

kuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to kuyaBaka Send a message via Skype™ to kuyaBaka
IGN: Euler Breslau
Class: SMN-main, AST.
Level: i200 SMN
Guild: Get Some LLC

Mark Twain made my grade go down a letter grade.
I vote for Great Expectations. It's probably the only book I *really* got into my Freshmen year besides Romeo and Juliet, but that's more a play than a book. .___.;

08-06-2008   #17 (permalink)
~~OBEY OBEY OBEY~~

Belphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Belphybear
IGN: Will Smith
Class: Will Smith
Guild: Will Smith

I was hoping Pride and Prejudice would be in the list, but I've never read it in my life. :x

08-06-2008   #18 (permalink)
STEP
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardSotW BeginnerWandering EyeFacebook FanTwitter Fan

WhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePhuc Send a message via MSN to WhatThePhuc
IGN: Phuc Tran
Class: Visual Arts Major lt_warlord
Level: 23
Guild: University of California, San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismas
I was hoping Pride and Prejudice would be in the list, but I've never read it in my life. :x
what in the hell?
that's a chick flick, not a classic

08-06-2008   #19 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePhuc
what in the hell?
that's a chick flick, not a classic
It's also a book published in 1813.

Also, any suggestions you guys have, please PM them to me, so I don't forget them for next weeks poll. I don't wanna have to keep pulling suggestions outta my ass Q_Q

08-07-2008   #20 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games

OMG I love Pride and Prejudice. 8D MR DARCYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

We can do trash novels next week for Step. 8D
Classics --> trashy novels --> Shakespeare --> murder mystery --> Sci-fi --> Horror --> ???