ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Literature (http://ggftw.com/forum/literature/)
-   -   Pages poll #1: Classics (http://ggftw.com/forum/literature/5780-pages-poll-1-classics.html)

Mitchi 08-04-2008 07:58 AM

Pages poll #1: Classics

Pages? What the...? (Read here if you don't know what this is lol)

Pages: The MyMMOG book club book of the week poll

Well, here we go, this is the first one to get us started, so I though we could use Classic pieces of literature.

Since this is the first poll (and I want more people to get involved), I'll leave it open for a bit longer than my original intent, maybe two weeks? After that, new polls every Sunday, with the poll closing friday of the next week. Yes, the poll will be open while the previous book is still being read, so that when that week's discussion thread goes up, the new book is decided. :D

btw: You don't have to participate in order to vote :D

Okay, since these are classic works, I went to make sure they were easy to find. These are books you should be able to find in any library, but just in case, They all can be found online:
Literature.org - The Online Literature Library

links are also included on the titles.

"Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenstein
A scientist, Frankenstein, discovers the secret of animating lifeless matter and, by assembling body parts, creates a monster. Rejected by society, Frankensteinís monster vows revenge on his creator.

"Great Expectations" by Charles D i c kens (lol language filter)

This is the only one without a link, as none of the e-books i can fid that I like don't use his last name in the link. Just go to Literature.org - The Online Literature Library and search for him there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations
Great Expectations follows the life of young Pip, from his awakening to life. It goes on to tell the story of a young working class lad in England, who inherits a fortune from an unknown source and becomes a gentleman.

"The hound of the Baskervilles" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Quote:

Originally Posted by The hound of the Baskervilles
Taking place in both London and Devon, the novel traces the story of American Sir Henry Baskerville, the heir to a considerable estate after the death of Sir Charles Baskerville of a heart attack. Due to a West Country legend about a huge demon dog roaming the moors and seeking an ancient vengeance against the Baskervilles, locals are convinced that Sir Charles' death was no accident. Sherlock Holmes is invited by a certain Dr. Mortimer to investigate the matter for the benefit of Sir Henry. Holmes and his sidekick Watson who is sent ahead to Devon are drawn into a fatal adventure of superstition and revenge on the barren, gloomy moors in this hugely enjoyable mystery.

"The Call of the Wild" by Jack London

Quote:

Originally Posted by The call of the wild
The Call of the Wild tells the story of a dog named Buck. He is stolen from his home in the Santa Clara Valley of California, and taken to the Alaskan gold fields to be a sled dog. This story tells the life of Buck as he is passed from owner to owner.

"The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer" by Mark Twain

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer
Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer is one part trickster, one escape artist and one part very lucky fellow! The Adventures of Tom Sawyer takes the reader along on a series of entertaining adventures and pranks while Tom's youthful romance with his sweetheart Becky Thatcher blooms in the background.

Catharsis 08-04-2008 08:23 AM

...I've always been drawn to the more dramatic Classics like Les Miserables and Wuthering Heights. None of those are in my bookshelf. D:

Mitchi 08-04-2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catharsis (Post 93142)
...I've always been drawn to the more dramatic Classics like Les Miserables and Wuthering Heights. None of those are in my bookshelf. D:

I only got two suggestions, so I pulled random other ones from the site I posted.

fieryshadowcard 08-04-2008 08:41 AM

What constitutes the word "classic"?

Books published before the 1900s that emphasize Romanticism and the idea that the Romans and Greeks were the founders of modern thought and science? Or books that are timeless by nature and inherently good regardless of when or by whom they were written?

Mitchi 08-04-2008 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fieryshadowcard (Post 93161)
What constitutes the word "classic"?

Books published before the 1900s that emphasize Romanticism and the idea that the Romans and Greeks were the founders of modern thought and science? Or books that are timeless by nature and inherently good regardless of when or by whom they were written?

Books that appeared on wishbone? /o/

Honest answer, I think the latter? Like I said, I just pulled half of those choices out of nowhere due to lack of suggestions.

Catharsis 08-04-2008 09:37 AM

Sorry, I haven't found the time to PM my book suggestions. @_@ I thought the window time would be longer lol...

Solemn 08-04-2008 09:53 AM

Lol...too bad it's not multiple-choice. *still deciding between Great Expectations and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer* Both were really good... :\

Mitchi 08-04-2008 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catharsis (Post 93210)
Sorry, I haven't found the time to PM my book suggestions. @_@ I thought the window time would be longer lol...

You can Pm your suggestions any time you get a chance, I just wanted to get this up and running while i was still motivated to. If I wait too long, I get Lazy ._.

HennaIkimono 08-04-2008 09:52 PM

lol, I don't own any of those books, not sure which to pick.

Harlequin 08-04-2008 10:00 PM

lole, I <3 The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

Mitchi 08-04-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HennaIkimono (Post 93810)
lol, I don't own any of those books, not sure which to pick.

I only own Call of the wild, which I doubt will win the poll lol

Cornflake 08-05-2008 11:36 AM

Even though these are all well known books I've only read Frankenstein. I voted for Tom Sawyer, as I've always meant to read the book but never got around to it.

Guiles 08-06-2008 12:53 AM

Only eight votes.

*dies*

WhatThePhuc 08-06-2008 03:47 AM

what no les miserables?
haha
imo, huck finn > tom sawyer

i pick frankenstein though

Mitchi 08-06-2008 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guiles (Post 95395)
Only eight votes.

*dies*

Lol, and the votes are all skewed towards two choices.

Come on people, vote, even if you're not gonna participate.

kuyaBaka 08-06-2008 07:46 AM

Mark Twain made my grade go down a letter grade.
I vote for Great Expectations. It's probably the only book I *really* got into my Freshmen year besides Romeo and Juliet, but that's more a play than a book. .___.;

Belphybear 08-06-2008 06:35 PM

I was hoping Pride and Prejudice would be in the list, but I've never read it in my life. :x

WhatThePhuc 08-06-2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dismas (Post 96425)
I was hoping Pride and Prejudice would be in the list, but I've never read it in my life. :x

what in the hell?
that's a chick flick, not a classic

Mitchi 08-06-2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatThePhuc (Post 96514)
what in the hell?
that's a chick flick, not a classic

It's also a book published in 1813.

Also, any suggestions you guys have, please PM them to me, so I don't forget them for next weeks poll. I don't wanna have to keep pulling suggestions outta my ass Q_Q

Catharsis 08-07-2008 07:56 AM

OMG I love Pride and Prejudice. 8D MR DARCYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

We can do trash novels next week for Step. 8D
Classics --> trashy novels --> Shakespeare --> murder mystery --> Sci-fi --> Horror --> ???