Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
08-02-2008   #1 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games
MapleStoryLuniaKingdom of LoathingCity of Heroes
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM AwardPervert Award

Location: Narnia, and the north! Wait....is Narnia supposed to be Canada?
Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi
IGN: SakiaLumei, Arphage
Class: Aran, Blaze Wiz lt_treasurehunter
Level: 9x,3x
Guild: Cupcake
Default Idea: MMOG Book club

I love reading, but usually, I'm too lazy, especially since I have no one to discuss my books with. Last time I read a lot was last summer when my friends and I decided to read the whole Harry Potter series before the final book came out (we didn't read the books, we just watched the movies).

But lately, I haven't been able to chat with people about most of the stuff I read.

So I propose an Idea: Why not have a MOG book club?

Here's what I though of so far:

What we do is make a list of suggestions for books to read, then we vote on them. After we finish (or whenever we feel like it, maybe a week?) we make a topic discussing the book, so we can all chat about it.

I think we should start out with books that are easier to get a hold of, you know, classics like Treasure island and Narnia. No weird and obscure books like "Dragonlance: Tales of uncle Trapspringer" (yes that's real, yes i've read it. lol).

So, what do you guys think?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
08-02-2008   #2 (permalink)
늑대와 미녀
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineTrickster OnlineGrand ChaseAudition
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent WinnerGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Senior

Kudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Kudaranai

I like this idea.

08-02-2008   #3 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIkariamSword 2La Tale
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent Winner

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good, except that a lot of people here tl;dr most long posts, so I don't know about getting them through 300 pages on paper. lol

08-02-2008   #4 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina

Neat idea, but ^ above posts mentioned, I guess we can "fix" that by providing brief summary of the title.

08-02-2008   #5 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games

Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi

Rofl, first three replies are from three of the people I respect most on these forums :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharsis
Sounds good, except that a lot of people here tl;dr most long posts, so I don't know about getting them through 300 pages on paper. lol
That's true, but there's a difference between a long (sometimes boring) post about something serious, and a long book about something possibly exciting.

I dunno, I lose interest in a post halfway through sometimes because I can't read from a monitor very well. But it's easier to read a book sometimes.

Sides, it's for the people who like to read

for the record, my first suggestion is "Call of the wild" by Jack London.

08-02-2008   #6 (permalink)
Crescent Fresh
Special
Games
Ragnarok OnlineTrickster OnlineLuniaPangya
Awards Facebook FanTwitter Fan

NoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to NoeJeko Send a message via MSN to NoeJeko Send a message via Skype™ to NoeJeko
IGN: NoeJeko
Class: Warrior lt_warrior
Level: 23
Guild: Kirameki

It's more like, when people go to a book, they expect long reading. When they go here, they don't expect long reading and are thus turned off by it.

I'm open to the idea, someone just suggest organization and resources for it, i.e. forum, forum placement, etc.

[Forum Rules][NoeJeko's Blog][Guide Guide][TO Training Guide]
k0n: Explaining anything to ignorant people is the same as trying to teach a turtle to sing. At some point, it's just hopeless.

08-02-2008   #7 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games

I've been thinking about how this should work, and I've come up with further details to the ideas:

1. Though I said "club" anyone can come in and join us, obviously. Anyone who's read the books can comment and discuss, this is mostly a "Let's all read a book so we can talk about it" type thing.

2. Voting: I was thinking about this, and most people will just vote for their own suggestions, so suggestions could be PM'd to whoever will "run" this (one of the mods maybe?) and that person could pick out the first five or so suggestions from there, and then post those in a poll, and then members vote. After the poll ends, we read the book that wins (it should be something that can easily be found at a library/bookstore).

After a week or so, we open a thread for discussion on the book, as a enter-at-your-own-risk-because-there's-spoilers zone, and people can share their thoughts, opinions and whatnot. Those threads can stay open for whenever anyone else who has read the book can come in and state their views.

3. Rating system?: I think maybe we should make use of the thread rating system so people have a way to rate the book they read. Of course, this can get inaccurate, so maybe members could put their own ratings, maybe either a 1-5 or a 1-10 scale, but it should be something unified.

4. Forum placement: I think a literary or maybe a "book club" subforum could work to keep all the threads together. Maybe if some of our more booky members are up for it, we could have a Literary forum (since we have one for movies/tv, one for anime and one for fitness) so we could not only discuss books, but post fiction as well.

5. Book Suggestions: We should keep it to something PG-13 at most, and something fairly easy to find, So "Lolita" and Forgotten realms/Dragonlance books (except maybe the Dritz series because nearly all D&D geeks have that set? lol?) and "Ringu" wouldn't be viable, but some thing like "Oliver twist" or "Memoirs of a Geisha (? i don't remember anything too bad in it)" or "20,000 leagues under the sea" would be fine.

I think the first thing though is maybe to decide who should take care of this whole thing. They will be the one receiving the PMs and would have to be unbiased when it comes to the decision poll. Personally, I suggest a Mod so it's easier to monitor the threads and such.

As an added note, if the mods are too busy to be a viable suggestion, I could do it

Last edited by Mitchi; 08-02-2008 at 02:06 PM. Reason: added number 5

08-03-2008   #8 (permalink)
Hanging by a Thread
Special
Awards Pervert Award

Guiles is a name known to allGuiles is a name known to allGuiles is a name known to allGuiles is a name known to allGuiles is a name known to allGuiles is a name known to all
Class: Some kind of mage shat lt_sorcerer
Guild: MyMMOGames

I like this suggestion. I only made a 'what are you reading' thread because I figured this forum wouldn't want to go any further than that... o/ Well now the title's been haxed to 'reading rainbowww' so yeah .-.

Anyway, I like it, except it's hard to make polls for books, since everyone's tastes are so varied .-. Hardly anyone could be objective regarding a book they really like or hate.

08-03-2008   #9 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiles
Anyway, I like it, except it's hard to make polls for books, since everyone's tastes are so varied .-. Hardly anyone could be objective regarding a book they really like or hate.
Yeah, that's true, but they don't have to read what wins the poll if they simply don't want to. Also, I'm thinking maybe the poll should have a set theme, but I'm more inclined to the idea of first suggested, first posted.

There are a lot of people, however, who are open to reading pretty much every type of genre. I for one usually won't turn down a book someone suggests to me based solely on the content or genre, maybe the Author, but if they went to the trouble to recommend it to me, then I'll at least read the first few chapters.

Also, should we come up with a name for is so it's not just called a "book club?" Most people associate that term with Oprah and gossipy housewives. Something cool like, I don't know, "Turning pages" or whatever (lol).

Maybe I'll actually start on this later after work (like making the actual "club" topic or whatnot), and get started on a list to tide us over until we get book suggestions.

08-03-2008   #10 (permalink)
Hanging by a Thread
Special
Awards Pervert Award

Guiles is a name known to allGuiles is a name known to allGuiles is a name known to allGuiles is a name known to allGuiles is a name known to allGuiles is a name known to all
Class: Some kind of mage shat lt_sorcerer
Guild: MyMMOGames

A name?

*points at readingggg rainbow thread*

;D

08-03-2008   #11 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

I like the idea of having themes. ^_^ We can do different things every week like Classics, fantasy, philosophical stuff like Coelho. Heck, I'd even throw in romance novels for the lulz.

08-03-2008   #12 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiles
A name?

*points at readingggg rainbow thread*

;D
LOL oh god, go back to the early 90's XD

Reading Rangers rofl

edit:

Quote:
I like the idea of having themes. ^_^ We can do different things every week like Classics, fantasy, philosophical stuff like Coelho. Heck, I'd even throw in romance novels for the lulz.
Romance novels....I don't know if iI'm proud of or ashamed of my collection of over 50 random romance novels...and not the classy kind, I'm talking about the housewife smut type like Harlequin and Loveswept D:

Philosophical, lol I don't think i have any books that meet that criteria. Journey to Half Price books ftw? XD

Last edited by Mitchi; 08-03-2008 at 06:18 AM.

08-03-2008   #13 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games

How about... "Pages"? Just coz the pun cracks me up lol.

I have a pretty massive bookshelf I can dig through. 8D

08-03-2008   #14 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games

Quote:
How about... "Pages"? Just coz the pun cracks me up lol.

I have a pretty massive bookshelf I can dig through. 8D
Lol, I like Pages, feels like it should have something else though.

Pages of Mog lol? rofl, sounds like a the title of a crappy interplay game XD

08-08-2008   #15 (permalink)
cheese on a stick

Globalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Globalastro Send a message via MSN to Globalastro Send a message via Yahoo to Globalastro Send a message via Skype™ to Globalastro
IGN: Globby (Wonderking)
Class: Wizard lt_mage
Level: 4x
Guild: Prinny doods

i love the idea, but dont have the time or resources to go get a book.... yes,i can go to the library, but i do not drive and hate public transportation, do id rather not walk to the library (an hour walk which i make occasionally cuz its near work)and then walk back home with a huge book.

so i guess, if its a book i've read, ill post my comments and if its a book ive been looking to read for a while, i may splurge and get it.

08-08-2008   #16 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalastro
i love the idea, but dont have the time or resources to go get a book.... yes,i can go to the library, but i do not drive and hate public transportation, do id rather not walk to the library (an hour walk which i make occasionally cuz its near work)and then walk back home with a huge book.

so i guess, if its a book i've read, ill post my comments and if its a book ive been looking to read for a while, i may splurge and get it.
Alternately, I can find an e-book copy so people can read from their computers. 8D

08-08-2008   #17 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games

Quote:
Alternately, I can find an e-book copy so people can read from their computers. 8D
That's what I try to do, and it's easy with classics.

I actually have links to E-book copies of all the books for the current poll, so that people can read them easily.

I could also get versions for Libris DS if anyone wants to read from their DS (assuming you have a flashcart).

08-08-2008   #18 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games

You can also get almost any mainstream, NYT Bestsellers, and most popular books from esnips.com

08-09-2008   #19 (permalink)
Don't touch 8|
Awards Retired Content StaffRetired Content Staff

Sheep is a jewel in the roughSheep is a jewel in the roughSheep is a jewel in the roughSheep is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Flarina/Lunata
Class: SHEEP/ ???? to_soulmaster
Level: 142/5xx
Guild: SOLOMODO/Wish
Xfire: !!! D8

Oooh you can find some books on sparknotes ( yes the whole book ) and I have a questia account ( which I can rip and paste some books ) from o: