ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Literature (http://ggftw.com/forum/literature/)
-   -   odd topic:Demonology and Witchcraft (http://ggftw.com/forum/literature/27223-odd-topic-demonology-witchcraft.html)

Globalastro 11-09-2008 10:30 PM

odd topic:Demonology and Witchcraft

Whether you believe in it or not, its still pretty good "educational" reading material. And at the moment, I am looking for good books on Witchcraft and any type of demonology encyclopedia (contains the "demons" of many different religions and a definition of what that demon is, does, etc and what religion or region it comes from).

Does anyone have any suggested reading material?

I have "The History of Witchcraft" by someone or other, and its absolutely horrid. It is written in "english" with atrocious grammar and multiple typos and a general negative view on witchcraft instead of the neutral view any good "research" book should try to stick to.

And to this day, I am still having trouble finding Demonology encyclopedias, although i understand, they are not, by any means, in high demand lol.

Catharsis 11-09-2008 11:41 PM

Moved this to Lit section, because you're looking for books.

Anyway, I don't know any good books on this. I've done some reading a few years ago (had a few friends who dabbled with the occult, empaths, 3rd eye, tarot cards, etc) but I can't remember the book titles. Mostly I just scanned the local library.

Globalastro 11-09-2008 11:53 PM

yah, thanks, sorry for the wrong section bit... it was originally intended to ask about books, and spark discussion on the topic in general, but after reading it again.. lol, all i did was mention books.. so i guess i'll just wait to see if anyone can suggest any, and then if the thread gets some interest, maybe making one for general discussion on the topic!

Catharsis 11-10-2008 12:47 AM

Well... Let me know if you want to edit your OP and turn this into something more discussion-oriented, and I'll move it right back.

About Wicca and the occult... All I can say is, be ready for backlash. It's not something to be toyed with. I regret that time when I asked a favor for it. It got rid of guy who was giving me trouble, but it took a lot back in return. That was the first time we attempted something that sucked the whole Circle dry. It was kind of awkward when 3 of us passed out at the same time... and one of us was in the middle of an exam. orz

As for demons... Jesus, just stay away. Too dangerous. They screw people in the head, and God, I almost thought it drove her crazy, but it was just an illusion and it wanted something and she thought she was helping. I should have dragged them out of that old building when I had the chance, but NOOO, I had to go all adventurer-mode and ride it out. Bad, bad choice. Stuff like that forcibly opens your 3rd eye, too, so bad bad bad BAD choice. That was the last of 3 years poking at something that we should have never touched.

JC 11-10-2008 05:14 AM

I think you'd be better off searching for Voodoo or European stuff. Just don't think everything as a literal sense. Some people do seem to go crazy researching this stuff thinking it is real. Reminds me of those crazy teen girl cliques that go looking for love potions or crap that make them haze each other and think they are gonna marry a perfect man or something ;;>_>.

At some point, I think you'd be better off searching google.

Globalastro 11-10-2008 08:29 AM

Lol cath, its not like im going to toy around with it. It's just something i have always been curious about. Sorta like, Ok, you have the demons from buffy, angel, charmed, etc. They had to come up with the basis of some of the demons somewhere (except maybe angel.... karaoke demon?? wtf?!)

Its more of wanting to know more about the history behind it. I, for one, have always believed that something had to make someone come up with the ideas for things somewhere. You dont just come up with things out of nowhere, every though has a basis somewhere. I.E. Dragons, based heavily on combinations of what certain lizards look like and an assumption made by the findings of fossils.

Also, with demonology encyclopedias, it gives you the area it originated in, what it supposedly did, and what it 'looked' like.

I am not stupid enough to actually dabble with the occult. I admit though, i did have a wiccan "phase" in 8th-10th grade, but I am one of those people that thinks "well what if....this is true?, what will it do to me... oh snap, im f***ed....guess i wont do that then"

PedroRomero 11-10-2008 06:58 PM

scary topic :puppy: