LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
01-06-2011   #1 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Special
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Admin AwardMoM AwardPervert Award

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208
Default Virtual Personalities

For the longest time, I'd always display a personality online that's not at all like how I am in reality.
Everyone does this to some degree, though some fabricate completely different personalities as well.

Here on ggftw, my most commonly used virtual personality was that I was a hardcore lolicon; when in reality I could care less for the subject.

I was asked a few times "Why do you do it?" to which I reply.
"I don't feel the need to be myself in a virtual world where I can be whatever I want"

After all, the internet is simply just an escape from reality is it not?

I've gotten to personally know two people who do similar things, we treat each other like family and only act ourselves around each other.
Although you'd never guess what they're really like based on how they act.

I'm bringing this up because I've read some mixed opinions on doing this, and I am curious to know what people think of the idea in general.
OR if some of you are comfortable with it, then write what you do differently online.

P.S - For those who may wonder, yes I'm being genuine here; and no, my "giant secret lolicon stash" doesn't exist, nor would I have one.

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
01-06-2011   #2 (permalink)
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Games
Blade & SoulAdventure Quest WorldsDiablo IIIGuild Wars 2
Awards Twitter Fan

Poople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud of

I'm usually quieter unless i'm with friends.

01-06-2011   #3 (permalink)
wow so scare
Games
Emil Chronicle OnlineGrand ChaseMabinogiLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Junior

Shnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fine with it and sometimes I wonder about how my online friends would act around me if I met them irl.

I think... I act pretty much the same way online as I would irl (for the most part anyways).

Also, I noticed, when I played online games with some of my irl friends, the way they type makes me feel like I'm chatting with really dull robots. While in reality, the way they behave is more entertaining because they're actually pretty witty and funny and you know, very expressive of their emotions. Yes I know it's harder to express emotions online than irl but still, you would know what I mean if you saw. -too lazy to give example-

01-06-2011   #4 (permalink)
I set fire to the rain
Games
Dragon NestLuniaValkyrie SkyDungeon Fighter Online

1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold
IGN: Erliana
Class: Spirit Dancer lt_blader
Level: 70
Guild: Excallibur

I don't have virtual personalities as you said it. If you known me through Internet, then it means you've known me irl. Since there's no big difference. Except that in Internet, I tend to be involve in serious subject just to feed my curiosity and usually I learned from it. While irl, nobody takes me seriously.
So, getting involve in serious arguments/discussion is really hard for me. D:

ggftw! literally.

01-06-2011   #5 (permalink)
Mr BLOW YOUR MIND Simple
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineWorld of WarcraftLineage II
Awards Retired Content StaffTwitter Fan

PedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Seasoning
Class: Cleric & Knight to_gambler
Level: E
Guild: Hardcore

online i can act like a fan and a fool and i'm a participant in fandoms. i love fandoms. after a day of being "normal" to be able to go online and look at pictures of things you like that can just make you smile or laugh is a great stress reliever. but in real life i do not do fandoms and people wouldn't know i'm into fandoms (although if they went in my room...).

but fandoms aside i think i'm nicer online than i am in real life

01-07-2011   #6 (permalink)
Gluttony Fang
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRagnarok OnlinePerfect WorldPhantasy Star Online 2

Kisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud of
IGN: Excellence
Class: Platinum Lucifer lu_sieg
Level: Ace in Exile
Guild: Harkonen

My virtual personality ain't much different than my real life.

Well, the only main difference is that I'm the "cool" type irl and fiery online. But at the core, I'm the same, I always mean business

| Adventus |

01-07-2011   #7 (permalink)
NYO~HO HO!
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineMabinogiS4 LeagueSpiral Knights
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering Eye

Dani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Dani
IGN: FearmyLEGS
Class: i shoot you lt_gunslinger

I'm generally the same online and offline. Sarcasm and generally being a smart ass are what I do both off and online but depending on who you are you may be spared that for the most part if you're on my good side.

Otherwise I'm pretty carefree.

ggFTW RulesggFTW Eventscomedy.mp4
My fingers trace lines of azures and scarlets, following the viridian milky ways above
To the poetry of fourteen billion years of light that mellows my heart into a melody

01-08-2011   #8 (permalink)
ohi
Games
World of Warcraft
Awards Facebook Fan

crazyhealer is on a distinguished road
IGN: crazyhealer
Class: Eir lu_eir
Level: no idea...

irl personality: how2express myself?
virtual personality: so much easier.

overall suck in it. but since thoughts come in and out so fast of my brain, it seems that only my typing speed can keep up with it.

*i swear i sounds weird*

01-08-2011   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Special
Games
AuditionMapleStoryTrickster OnlineDofus
Awards Facebook Fan

Mazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond repute

My online personality is only slightly different from my real one. Different in the sense that I can talk more openly about certain subjects online than I possibly could IRL. Talking about them IRL would cause me to just die of embarassment.

01-08-2011   #10 (permalink)
Deadpool approves!
Games
Cosmic BreakGrand ChaseMapleStoryMabinogi

Marzai is a name known to allMarzai is a name known to allMarzai is a name known to allMarzai is a name known to allMarzai is a name known to allMarzai is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Marzai
IGN: -points at name-
Guild: None

I don't speak as eloquently as I type irl. It would be awesome if I could. And the words that I'm typing now come most readily to mind then when I'm in a normal conversation about the same subject. It's like when people talk to me, I can't seem to find the right words, or at least let them come out of my yapper, fluently to boot.

Then there's also interaction with people online as opposed to real life. I don't like people in general. So, from my computer monitor, I can scold and hammer a person down verbally (well, that is, if they have no common decency) without any harm to myself. I try that in real life, I just might get punched, stabbed, gunned, bludgeoned, or whatever death style comes readily to mind.

If there's any difference, it's this. Otherwise, I'm still the immature, cynical, generalizing kid that some of you know (and maybe love, I guess.) in both realms.

Pinkie Pool's archnemesis: Oatmeal.

Last edited by Marzai; 01-08-2011 at 11:26 AM.

01-08-2011   #11 (permalink)
Lei
偽りの幸せはいらない
Games
Trickster OnlineLa TaleLuniaAudition
Awards Event Winner

Lei is a glorious beacon of lightLei is a glorious beacon of lightLei is a glorious beacon of lightLei is a glorious beacon of lightLei is a glorious beacon of light
Level: 1

My personality is almost the same online and in real life. The only thing that really differs is the way I act around people I don't like. In real life if I don't like the person, I'm distant to the point of ignoring if they really annoy me, and sarcasm is a given. Although, a lot of people say that it's really hard to tell if I'm joking or not in real life, so I tend to get away with saying things that may or may not be appropriate. Oh, and also I'm not as fluent when speaking in real life, though I wish I was.

Please read the - forum rules - and keep out of trouble. :3

01-08-2011   #12 (permalink)
200%♥
Games
Trickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Facebook FanPervert Award

LauraMix has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazuiko
My online personality is only slightly different from my real one. Different in the sense that I can talk more openly about certain subjects online than I possibly could IRL. Talking about them IRL would cause me to just die of embarassment.
Same with me and somehow I'm more funnier then my virtual personally.

"There is no Real ending. It's just the place where you stop the story." -Frank Herbert

01-08-2011   #13 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict

J0SH2 is just really niceJ0SH2 is just really niceJ0SH2 is just really niceJ0SH2 is just really niceJ0SH2 is just really nice

irl i'm pretty quiet,but if i know a person well enough then i act how i usually am online.. its just easier to express myself online, dunno why

01-08-2011   #14 (permalink)
NYO~HO HO!
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineMabinogiS4 LeagueSpiral Knights
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering Eye

Dani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Dani
IGN: FearmyLEGS
Class: i shoot you lt_gunslinger

^ Probably because text is easier to type then looking someone in the eye and speaking.

ggFTW RulesggFTW Eventscomedy.mp4
My fingers trace lines of azures and scarlets, following the viridian milky ways above
To the poetry of fourteen billion years of light that mellows my heart into a melody

01-09-2011   #15 (permalink)
Lazy Lurkin'
Special
Games
Atlantica OnlineDofusTrickster OnlineRift: Planes of Telara

Javier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Javier
IGN: Ripchord
Class: Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani
^ Probably because text is easier to type then looking someone in the eye and speaking.
This, I completely agree. Which is why I'm way more sociable on the net than in real life. Except to the few close RL friends who've managed to break through my shell.

And I sort of get what Shnao said. I find that most of my RL friends are really dull on the internet.

It's the nature of my circuitry.

01-09-2011   #16 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Grand ChaseLa TaleTrickster OnlineMapleStory

Hykari is a splendid one to beholdHykari is a splendid one to beholdHykari is a splendid one to beholdHykari is a splendid one to beholdHykari is a splendid one to beholdHykari is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Hykari Send a message via AIM to Hykari Send a message via Yahoo to Hykari Send a message via Skype™ to Hykari
IGN: NeoConcept
Class: Elite to_dragon
Level: 113
Guild: Reignbow

Introverts unite?!?! (xD)

My online personality is a little different from my irl one (I'm a little more "reserved/to-myself" and don't initiate conversations unless I'm spoken to first). I guess it's because we all have this tendency to believe that people can be harmful/hurtful/untrustworthy, that we seclude/caution ourselves away from more extroverted people (like, if we let them "in" or "near," there's a possibility/risk that they'll wreck havoc and leave permanent mental/emotional scars on our poor little fragile hearts).

It's also difficult for some to keep conversations interesting without requiring awkward pauses to formulate their thoughts into words/actions. Like since I think about a multitude of things all the time, it'll be hard to determine which one to go with when I'm required on call (without sounding like a total spaz).

It's kinda hard to stay in one state of mind, for me at least. But on forums where there's topics stated explicitly (in real life, topics of interest are stated implicitly and not "outright," so you have to pay close attention to understand which tangent the initiator of the conversation wants you to go on), you can pick/choose which one you want to respond to (without having the "menacing" extroverts forcing themselves onto you waiting for a quick/witty response) and have lots of time to formulate your thoughts (proofread, edit, re-write, etc.; Just as I did for this post).

01-09-2011   #17 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

My online personalities differ on the community, but in the end are still a part of me.

On ggftw, I would probably seem more reserved and be the responsible type of person. I also help out here and there for a reason that I don't even know myself. It's as if I feel obligated to help since that's what I've become accustomed to on here.

On other games with real life friends, I'm an epic troll. I pretend I'm a gangsta balla and type in broken English just to annoy people. There's no need to take it seriously as I'm trying to enjoy myself and people raging at the simple fact that I can't seem to spell words correctly amuses me.

If the game contains no real life friends, I'm just that guy. The guy who's just there and everyone seems to know, but only few (2) have a closer relationship with. Even then they don't know enough about me to know how I would act towards them in person.

Comparing this with real life... I would say I am myself online. It's just that I only bring forth part of my personality in different situations. Also since sarcasm can't really be understood well enough online, I don't show use any of it. In real life however no one seems to be able to tell if I'm serious or sarcastic. Also I am a troll. I constantly troll all my friends with every occasion possible but at the same time I can be seen as the reliable helpful dude that only has like 4 friends.

For those who actually want to meet me in real life... If you like being taken advantage of at every single possible moment and enjoy having a close friend... then I'm the guy for you. (One of my friends is a perfect example of this.)

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

Last edited by Shugi; 01-09-2011 at 04:14 PM.

01-10-2011   #18 (permalink)
<3 you Shane :3

Vixen has a reputation beyond reputeVixen has a reputation beyond reputeVixen has a reputation beyond reputeVixen has a reputation beyond reputeVixen has a reputation beyond reputeVixen has a reputation beyond reputeVixen has a reputation beyond reputeVixen has a reputation beyond reputeVixen has a reputation beyond reputeVixen has a reputation beyond reputeVixen has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Vicksy
Class: Katarina to_cat
Level: Diamond

The personality I use online is how I'd talk to close friends, family etc irl, because I'm more comfortable with people I know (I'm quite a shy person irl), and the internet kinda deletes (<--- see what I did thar 8D) the shyness? >:

01-10-2011   #19 (permalink)
The Truth Is, I Love You ♥
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineLa TaleRagnarok OnlineLegend of Edda
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerLucky StreakTreasure HunterFacebook FanTwitter Fan

Esper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: BabyTakumi
Class: Maestro
Guild: FrenchBread

Real life = quiet with an innocent feel until you get to know me.
Literally what my friends say about me every time.

Online = mix between energetic and quiet.

Home is where someone is thinking about you ▪ crafting resource guidesymphonyblog
健全なる魂は ◦ 健全なる精神と ◦ 健全なる肉体に宿る ◦

01-10-2011   #20 (permalink)
Addicted to BoA
Games
MapleStoryRagnarok OnlineTrickster OnlineLeague of Legends

DarkAmbience is just really niceDarkAmbience is just really niceDarkAmbience is just really niceDarkAmbience is just really niceDarkAmbience is just really nice

IRL: I'm very timid; I'm mostly shy, but if someone needs my help, wants to talk to me, etc., I partially shed my shyness for a while. Though overall I'd say I'm a nice person irl. <:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Online: I'm much more social - though this pretty much only affects people whom I know and are friends with. Like my self IRL, I'm also nice, I tend to be one of those people whom people can talk to about their feelings (despite the fact that I'm a guy, and idk about any of you but the guys I know aren't really sensitive to people's feelings like I am).

Spoiler!

Spoiler!