Vindictus
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Vindictus

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
02-19-2010   #1 (permalink)
cheese on a stick

Globalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Globalastro Send a message via MSN to Globalastro Send a message via Yahoo to Globalastro Send a message via Skype™ to Globalastro
IGN: Globby (Wonderking)
Class: Wizard lt_mage
Level: 4x
Guild: Prinny doods
Default big job decission

So, there's a job opening in California that I meet the requirements, and have been told that it wouldnt be too hard for me to get.

It's a payrate between 25-35k a year depending on position. and it's an actual CAREER.

I currently work at blockbuster, make roughly 13k-14k a year depending on what hours i get.

I'd really like this job as it's somewhat of a dream job for me, but my boyfriend refuses to relocate to california (we live in delaware) due to A) His job and B) His elderly mother.

My mother thinks the job sounds fishy, but i want to talk to her after George leaves for work tonight.

I've already looked up apartments, and there's one that is a 10 minute drive from the office, studios start at $675/mo, We're currently paying 795$ a month for a studio.

What would you do? I'm so torn because i dont want to leave my boyfriend of 4 years, I dont want to move 3500 miles away from all of my family. I dont drive nor do I have a license... But this is a dream job for me. and I'm so freaking torn right now....

someone give me good advice and reasoning. If you think it's a bad move, then tell me, but tell me why, and if you think it's worth the possible emotional pain, tell me why.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
02-19-2010   #2 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIkariamSword 2La Tale
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent Winner

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

It's obvious from the past year or so that you've been posting about your RL problems that you need this job. You have health issues on top of financial difficulties, so this actually would help you take care of your own welfare. Also, your current job and its current pay seem to stress you out a lot. =/

Careers are not just about money, though. They're important for self-actualization and over-all contentment. It's great waking up every day knowing that you'll get the same sufficient payslip, and that you'll have somewhere you're progressing towards career-wise.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd pack up my bags and just go. It's tough to get breaks like this especially with the economy.

The problem is the MOM. You can't really make your boyfriend choose between his mother and his lover IF he takes care of her. But if he just leaves her at home anyway and visits like every other month, well, that's as good as moving to another state. Does he actually take care of her, or he just wants mommy to be a stone throw away?

Either way, I'm leaving with or without him. Rawr.

02-19-2010   #3 (permalink)
cheese on a stick

Globalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Globalastro Send a message via MSN to Globalastro Send a message via Yahoo to Globalastro Send a message via Skype™ to Globalastro

We've discussed, if i can get the financing for a flight for the actual interview, i'm going for it. It's for a position at nDoors Interactive.

02-19-2010   #4 (permalink)
SOC
"God is my Judge."
Special
Games
La TaleFinal Fantasy XIRagnarok OnlineMapleStory
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

SOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to SOC
IGN: Fortuleo
Class: Duelist/Judgement lt_gunslinger
Level: 142/152
Guild: GoldenDawn

WOW! Good luck Globby!!!

02-19-2010   #5 (permalink)
too much effort
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAtlantica OnlineGlobal AgendaUrban Rivals

WhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to behold
IGN: WhatThePho
Class: Maniac
Guild: Mooglets v1.1

Boyfriend issue aside, how are the income tax rate and general standard of living/living expenses in that state and city?

Last edited by WhatThePho; 02-19-2010 at 08:24 PM.

02-19-2010   #6 (permalink)
cheese on a stick

I'm looking that up now. cost of living is rather high, but utilities are rather inexpensive. As for taxes, I'm still researching that.

Income tax rate for 25k-60k in delaware=5.55%
Income tax rate for 26k-37k in california=6%

So income taxes arent too bad.

I think it's sales tax and the cost of housing which is the most expensive.

but i already found an apartment complex for a studio apartment for at least temporary housing at 675$ a month, and the city's a beach city, so I can understand the cost. and It's right outside LAX.

Last edited by Globalastro; 02-19-2010 at 08:37 PM.

02-21-2010   #7 (permalink)
Pixellated Yeti Goodness.
Special

Dook is just really niceDook is just really niceDook is just really niceDook is just really nice
IGN: Dookoon/Dashyat
Class: Mighty Ferret Militia
Level: Low
Guild: Noobs Club

:v nDoors interactive eh? Maybe you can find out for us why they can't manage to fix the bugs in their games (Or maybe just AO) even though they're raking tons of $$$$ from serial addicts through continuous Item Mall promotion. :P

---------

Anyway, I hope you find a place near convenient public transport.

Personally I'd strongly suggest against moving there alone. A good housemate can be very financially rewarding.

I'm not American, nor Californian, so I can't really give much useful advice xD
I hope things work out well for ya.

02-21-2010   #8 (permalink)
ZeR
ggFTW Stalker
Special Games
La TaleDragon Nest

ZeR is a glorious beacon of lightZeR is a glorious beacon of lightZeR is a glorious beacon of lightZeR is a glorious beacon of lightZeR is a glorious beacon of light

I would pick the career path.

There are many times in life where you just have to do what you think it's right. Don't over-think it.

1) I'm sure your boyfriend can support himself and look after this mother. He should understand your career is very important to you as well. If he loves you, he will let you go.

2) would you really rather work at blockbusters and walk down the not-so-bright future
ahead?

Give nDoors a try. You can always turn back if it doesn't suit you. However, you might regret it if you don't give it a go when the chance arises.

02-22-2010   #9 (permalink)
I KNOW THAT FEEL BRO
Special

Shirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Shirakani
IGN: Kyoji
Class: Shootin' Mah Balls
Level: 130
Guild: Minerva

What i would do is:

Discuss with your partner first, let him know how much it means to you, etc. Again if he really loves you, then it WILL WORK OUT.

Second I'd try for the job, if I get it, i'd go and give things a shot for a period of say, 3 months. Usually you're on a probationary period for 3 months anyway. Within those 3 months, keep in contact with your partner and keep looking for alternatives. If the job really DOES pan out to be a dream job, then maybe start asking within the company for a possible opening and then get your partner hired there too, such things can happen.

Either way; opportunity only knocks once, as the saying goes. You either jump on it or you watch and wave as it passes you by. Rather than sit and regret in future at what MIGHT HAVE BEEN, jump at the chance, and go from there.

Your partner would understand if he really does love you, you know the old saying, 'love will find a way'. If it's true enough, it always does.

PS: If you get the job @ NDoors, i'm going to throw a page of *****ing at you about nerfs and getting the devs to unnerf AO

02-22-2010   #10 (permalink)
cheese on a stick

That's nice, shira, If you did give me that, I'd just say: "Ok... i'll forward these to Mr. Trash can for you!... or maybe someone who is working in the AO department "

The position is for a newly opened gm position for Wonderking because JustWondering is having family issues dealing with his parents.

All in all, I'm working on finishing my cover letter, resume's pretty much updated, and then I'm talking to Zabu to find out about job security IF i get it. There's still a big IF involved.

02-22-2010   #11 (permalink)
I KNOW THAT FEEL BRO
Special

Shirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Shirakani
IGN: Kyoji
Class: Shootin' Mah Balls
Level: 130
Guild: Minerva

Job security is always the big thing, especially if you have to pack up and haul ass, it has to be dependable and solid. This would be one thing to make clear at the interview too, that if they do offer the position it has to come with a guarantee of job security due to circumstances.

02-24-2010   #12 (permalink)
cheese on a stick

OK! Resume and cover letter are sent... Now i sit and wait and continue to stay anxious. Most overwhelming part is "how am i going to pay for this relocation"

That's a whole new matter altogether. I have to somehow keep George from spending any unnecessary money and make phone calls all over the US today... well, by all over i mean in Delaware and in California just to get an idea of these apartment complexes in Cali just so I already have all of my information and research together.

If anyone has any information on the El Segundo area in Los Angeles county, It'd be greatly appreciated.

02-27-2010   #13 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIkariamSword 2La Tale
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent Winner

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you're doing this, Glo. I know it's hard. The first time I walked away, I second-guessed myself sleepless for weeks.

If you need someone to talk it over with, you know how to find me.

03-01-2010   #14 (permalink)
cheese on a stick

Thanks Cath and everyone else, Right now, I'm waiting on a response, but all in all, I'm not minding the waiting, it seems that I feel better just by submitting my resume and such.

03-02-2010   #15 (permalink)
cheese on a stick

Sorry for the double post. If when they call, they give me an option of when to go in for an interview (Although they've pushed for an over the phone, HR refuses which is somewhat understandable. You cannot get an accurate idea of someone without meeting them face to face), and I can somehow manage to have it pushed back to the beginning of april (spring break starts around the 20th, which is hell for flights), i'll be looking at approximately just over $300 for a flight and hotel for just myself or approx $575 if george decides to come along for the interview.

The hotel I'm looking at has some nice reviews as of late, and is only 3 miles from where their office is located (and 3 miles from LAX) so I could either walk it in 45 minutes (assuming I do not get lost, i'd rather not walk) or public transit for 35 minutes, or a variation of the two.

That sounds reasonable, right? Question is, am I going to be able to finish coming up with that kind of money and the fact that I'm still mid way through getting dentures due to current monetary issues. I am going to see about any form of at least partial compensation for the flight and temporary lodging for the interview. I will understand if they cannot do that, but it wouldn't hurt to try with them already knowing my current pay rate and such.

I'll keep everyone updated.

03-02-2010   #16 (permalink)
gah lol
Special
Games
MabinogiDragon NestTrickster Online

AnnabelleMarie is just really niceAnnabelleMarie is just really niceAnnabelleMarie is just really niceAnnabelleMarie is just really niceAnnabelleMarie is just really nice
Send a message via Skype™ to AnnabelleMarie
IGN: Annabelle/AnnabelleMarie

i can helps finding a home for u C: im good at gathering random data :x

er also i didnt see anywhere if you mentioned you have a car or not? if you dont things can get tricky here x.x a simple 30 mins drive can easily turn to hrs

mhms sometimes you can find 1 bedroom places for under 800 if u know where to looks C: that way if you and bf decide to make the move you can have a more roomy home.

My Steam ID - My Facebook
3DS Friend Code: 2020-0049-4799
Animal Crossing New Leaf - Aerielly, Town Totoro

03-03-2010   #17 (permalink)
cheese on a stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnabelleMarie
i can helps finding a home for u C: im good at gathering random data :x

er also i didnt see anywhere if you mentioned you have a car or not? if you dont things can get tricky here x.x a simple 30 mins drive can easily turn to hrs

mhms sometimes you can find 1 bedroom places for under 800 if u know where to looks C: that way if you and bf decide to make the move you can have a more roomy home.
So far, i've found 2 apartments offering studios for under $800, biggest issue with price is that it i'm looking in a 10 mile radius south and east of LAX, which means of course, the prices of apartments will be higher (because the office is approx 3 miles southeast of LAX.)

I do not drive, and that's what's causing me to look so close. I've already been looking for hotels with monthly rates near the office and apartments in the area and also looking at the estimated walk and public transit times from all apartments and hotels I'm looking from.

So far, i've found a flight and hotel for the interview as soon as they can contact me to discuss when, as long as it's in early april, i'm looking at approx $300 for round trip. Most of the reviews I'm seeing for this hotel are positive and it's 3 miles equidistant from both LAX and nDoors office. I currently walk 3 miles to or from work a few times a month, so that will not be a big deal.

03-05-2010   #18 (permalink)
SOC
"God is my Judge."
Special
Games
La TaleFinal Fantasy XIRagnarok OnlineMapleStory
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

SOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to SOC
IGN: Fortuleo
Class: Duelist/Judgement lt_gunslinger
Level: 142/152
Guild: GoldenDawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalastro
and it's 3 miles equidistant from both LAX and nDoors office. I currently walk 3 miles to or from work a few times a month, so that will not be a big deal.
How about biking? I know a lot of LA/southern California people that take bikes to and from work. It could really save you a lot of time~