Iris Online
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Iris Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
01-31-2010   #1 (permalink)
Puhi Puhi <3~

Maiyu has a spectacular aura aboutMaiyu has a spectacular aura aboutMaiyu has a spectacular aura about
Default Dating a family member...

I always hear people saying it's really bad to date / marry somebody of your own family tree. I was reading some FML, and some of them go FML when they figure out they're in love with their cousin or something...

...why is dating another family member considered "bad" ?

I mean, sister or brother, I might understand since you two are born by the same parent, but why are other members not allowed?

...who thought of this rule that it would be weird to date somebody in your own family tree anyways? I mean, we're all connected somehow anyways, right?

Thanks to CherryPanda for an AWESOME sig!

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
01-31-2010   #2 (permalink)
fat fat fat fat fat PIG
PROBLEMS BUTA?!
Special Games
Aika OnlineAll Point Bulletin (APB)Alliance of Valiant ArmsAsda Story

buta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's so much of dating as it is having sex with family members. This leads to a smaller gene pool and you'll usually get retards for kids. As in mentally retarded, etc. Many genetic problems will occur given the small gene pool as well. While cousins may be a little better compared to brother's and sisters, it's still pretty bad, gene-wise.

That's the basics of the biological standpoint.

01-31-2010   #3 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina

bad genes, etc, even in religion is a no-no

anyway, for more read and stuff
- Incest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/easier

01-31-2010   #4 (permalink)
Custom User Title
Games
Puzzle PiratesAtlantica OnlineGrand ChaseRunescape
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Noctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by buta
I don't think it's so much of dating as it is having sex with family members. This leads to a smaller gene pool and you'll usually get retards for kids. As in mentally retarded, etc. Many genetic problems will occur given the small gene pool as well. While cousins may be a little better compared to brother's and sisters, it's still pretty bad, gene-wise.

That's the basics of the biological standpoint.
From a biological standpoint, I believe that cousins are supposed to be genetically removed enough for breeding. Brothers, sisters, and children on the other hand, no.

01-31-2010   #5 (permalink)
I set fire to the rain
Games
Dragon NestLuniaValkyrie SkyDungeon Fighter Online

1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold
IGN: Erliana
Class: Spirit Dancer lt_blader
Level: 70
Guild: Excallibur

So.. that is why we can't have sex with our own siblings. Even science against it. o_o

01-31-2010   #6 (permalink)
Puhi Puhi <3~

Maiyu has a spectacular aura aboutMaiyu has a spectacular aura aboutMaiyu has a spectacular aura about

...so the only reason is pretty much because of inbreeding?

...people just seem to overreact when they hear family members dating each other =.=;;

And what about what Noctis said? Wouldn't inbreeding be considered null with cousins?

Thanks to CherryPanda for an AWESOME sig!

01-31-2010   #7 (permalink)
Banned

MoonlightMemento will become famous soon enough
IGN: DevilSpree
Class: Buffalo to_mercenary
Level: 17x
Guild: ~CRiSiS^

In theory, assuming the Bible is correct (NO RELIGIOUS DEBATES), mating with anyone is inbreeding as everyone is a child of Adam/Eve, so regardless, you're always inbreeding.

Religion aside, it's just wrong. You're screwing up your kids life because you couldn't find a real partner? :x
Oh, and what's FML?

Last edited by MoonlightMemento; 01-31-2010 at 02:52 PM.

01-31-2010   #8 (permalink)
NYO~HO HO!
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineMabinogiS4 LeagueSpiral Knights
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering Eye

Dani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Dani
IGN: FearmyLEGS
Class: i shoot you lt_gunslinger
Level: E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightMemento
Oh, and what's FML?
FML = www.fmylife.com

I have nothing else to add to what has already been said.

ggFTW RulesggFTW Eventscomedy.mp4
My fingers trace lines of azures and scarlets, following the viridian milky ways above
To the poetry of fourteen billion years of light that mellows my heart into a melody

01-31-2010   #9 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

Skiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Skiegh Send a message via MSN to Skiegh
IGN: Skiegh
Class: Sieg
Level: 56+

I think several generations need to go by before you're far enough apart to really consider dating. I mean if you have the same great great great grandparents who cares but if it's something close enough that your 1st grade teacher's assignment of doing a family tree links the two of you together then that's not good.

Think about how awkward family get togethers would be when you introduce your wife only to have her say to your grandmother "Oh, your dad was my great grandfather." (Who would say that but seriously)

In other words, if you're aware that you're related, you're far too related to date.
"There once was a boy who dreamed of being a hero. Who believed sincerely in the battle to banish darkness from a world of light... but light and darkness are equal... and where one exists so too must the other... and when the boy finally realized this he had taken the first step toward being a true hero."

01-31-2010   #10 (permalink)
fat fat fat fat fat PIG
PROBLEMS BUTA?!
Special Games

buta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In theory, assuming the Bible is correct (NO RELIGIOUS DEBATES), mating with anyone is inbreeding as everyone is a child of Adam/Eve, so regardless, you're always inbreeding.
If you want to think about it that way, you can cut it off at Noah since the flood keeled everyone but him and his family.

However, I'm pretty sure the idea is to allow evolution (no, not the monkey turning into man evolution) occur over a large time (ie. mutations. not mutations as in having a third arm, but mutations that would change certain physical characteristics) so that there is some variation within the gene pool. I believe the idea behind that was to make it so if there were some virus that killed everyone with one characteristic, the world wouldn't suddenly be full of dead people.

But all that aside, there are some other more theological points that can arise from your point that I don't wanna talk about cause I already have to worry about an essay and writing another one would suck. ._.

01-31-2010   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Inbreeding results in the same genes, over and over again. How did Adam and Eve manage to make so many children? Or let's say (I don't have a copy of the Bible on hand) Adam and Eve were "tests", then more humans were made. Anyway you look at it - it's always incest.

True incest (with a cousin, sibling, etc) is never, ever a good idea. I'm assuming you are writing an essay about this for school, or something. The most logical reasons (not being emotional stuff) have already been said.

01-31-2010   #12 (permalink)
The Ordinary Witch uguuuu
Games
Cosmic BreakSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterMapleStoryMegaman Online
Awards Facebook Fan

Marisa is a splendid one to beholdMarisa is a splendid one to beholdMarisa is a splendid one to beholdMarisa is a splendid one to beholdMarisa is a splendid one to beholdMarisa is a splendid one to beholdMarisa is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Marisa
IGN: bippusuta
Class: Homing Spammer

Incest is horrible. Just like everyone says it causes physical mutations. I heard of people dating cousins before though :/.

01-31-2010   #13 (permalink)
NYO~HO HO!
Special
Games

Dani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buta
If you want to think about it that way, you can cut it off at Noah since the flood keeled everyone but him and his family.

However, I'm pretty sure the idea is to allow evolution (no, not the monkey turning into man evolution) occur over a large time (ie. mutations. not mutations as in having a third arm, but mutations that would change certain physical characteristics) so that there is some variation within the gene pool. I believe the idea behind that was to make it so if there were some virus that killed everyone with one characteristic, the world wouldn't suddenly be full of dead people.

But all that aside, there are some other more theological points that can arise from your point that I don't wanna talk about cause I already have to worry about an essay and writing another one would suck. ._.
Gilgamesh lived from the flood too search the epic of gilgamesh

Isn't it actually illegal to marry anyone from your family? I know in Japan its legal to marry your cousin but elsewhere..

My fingers trace lines of azures and scarlets, following the viridian milky ways above
To the poetry of fourteen billion years of light that mellows my heart into a melody

01-31-2010   #14 (permalink)
Mr BLOW YOUR MIND Simple
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineWorld of WarcraftLineage II
Awards Retired Content StaffTwitter Fan

PedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Seasoning
Class: Cleric & Knight to_gambler
Guild: Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani
Gilgamesh lived from the flood too search the epic of gilgamesh

Isn't it actually illegal to marry anyone from your family? I know in Japan its legal to marry your cousin but elsewhere..
gilgamesh didn't live the flood. unapishtim did. and i think scholars think unapishtim is a version of noah. sorry if i spelled names wrong

01-31-2010   #15 (permalink)
...Wah?
Special
Games
Lunia

SkyAngelic is a name known to allSkyAngelic is a name known to allSkyAngelic is a name known to allSkyAngelic is a name known to allSkyAngelic is a name known to allSkyAngelic is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to SkyAngelic
IGN: SkyAngelic / SkyDemonic
Class: Lunia: Sieg / Trickster: Temp DX Buffalo (Abusing Attr. equips), Dragon / Cabal: Force Archer
Level: 103, 69, 72, 104
Guild: Solstice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperXMeeRee

...who thought of this rule that it would be weird to date somebody in your own family tree anyways? I mean, we're all connected somehow anyways, right?
Definitely connected in some ways. I moved from California to Florida and met a Chinese girl that spoke the same Chinese dialect as me (gaginang that speaks jujo). We were like "I bet we're somehow related".

So we made a huge family tree and BAM, my grandpa's cousin was related to her great uncle-in-law.

Other than that, direct sibling and cousin incest is frowned upon and is labeled 'disgusting'

I think the only general viewpoints (other than religion and science) that doesn't have as much disagreement to incest are love ethics, some made-up religion that focuses on incest, or royalty.

gg Noperative

01-31-2010   #16 (permalink)
NYO~HO HO!
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroRomero
gilgamesh didn't live the flood. unapishtim did. and i think scholars think unapishtim is a version of noah. sorry if i spelled names wrong
I was close enough ;_;

01-31-2010   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyAngelic
Definitely connected in some ways. I moved from California to Florida and met a Chinese girl that spoke the same Chinese dialect as me (gaginang that speaks jujo). We were like "I bet we're somehow related".

So we made a huge family tree and BAM, my grandpa's cousin was related to her great uncle-in-law.

Other than that, direct sibling and cousin incest is frowned upon and is labeled 'disgusting'

I think the only general viewpoints (other than religion and science) that doesn't have as much disagreement to incest are love ethics, some made-up religion that focuses on incest, or royalty.
Royalty is a really huge contradiction if it's all inbred, eh?

01-31-2010   #18 (permalink)
fat fat fat fat fat PIG
PROBLEMS BUTA?!
Special Games

Quote:
Royalty is a really huge contradiction if it's all inbred, eh?
How is that a contradiction? They believe royalty is in the blood so they don't want to taint it with the commoners.

01-31-2010   #19 (permalink)
Mr BLOW YOUR MIND Simple
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineWorld of WarcraftLineage II
Awards Retired Content StaffTwitter Fan

PedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Seasoning
Class: Cleric & Knight to_gambler
Guild: Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani
It's legal in quite a few states of the US to marry your cousin. the state i live in is one of em

02-01-2010   #20 (permalink)
Time Breaker

Bolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud of

You know, when you mate with someone of the same family tree as you, the child that comes out will be deformed.