ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Life & Relationships (http://ggftw.com/forum/life-relationships/)
-   -   Dating a family member... (http://ggftw.com/forum/life-relationships/69692-dating-family-member.html)

Maiyu 01-30-2010 11:52 PM

Dating a family member...

I always hear people saying it's really bad to date / marry somebody of your own family tree. I was reading some FML, and some of them go FML when they figure out they're in love with their cousin or something...

...why is dating another family member considered "bad" ?

I mean, sister or brother, I might understand since you two are born by the same parent, but why are other members not allowed?

...who thought of this rule that it would be weird to date somebody in your own family tree anyways? I mean, we're all connected somehow anyways, right?

buta 01-31-2010 12:06 AM

I don't think it's so much of dating as it is having sex with family members. This leads to a smaller gene pool and you'll usually get retards for kids. As in mentally retarded, etc. Many genetic problems will occur given the small gene pool as well. While cousins may be a little better compared to brother's and sisters, it's still pretty bad, gene-wise.

That's the basics of the biological standpoint.

Miyuki 01-31-2010 12:42 AM

bad genes, etc, even in religion is a no-no

anyway, for more read and stuff
- Incest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/easier

Noctis 01-31-2010 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buta (Post 1142152)
I don't think it's so much of dating as it is having sex with family members. This leads to a smaller gene pool and you'll usually get retards for kids. As in mentally retarded, etc. Many genetic problems will occur given the small gene pool as well. While cousins may be a little better compared to brother's and sisters, it's still pretty bad, gene-wise.

That's the basics of the biological standpoint.

From a biological standpoint, I believe that cousins are supposed to be genetically removed enough for breeding. Brothers, sisters, and children on the other hand, no.

1stsim144 01-31-2010 02:33 AM

So.. that is why we can't have sex with our own siblings. Even science against it. o_o

Maiyu 01-31-2010 12:40 PM

...so the only reason is pretty much because of inbreeding?

...people just seem to overreact when they hear family members dating each other =.=;;

And what about what Noctis said? Wouldn't inbreeding be considered null with cousins?

MoonlightMemento 01-31-2010 01:17 PM

In theory, assuming the Bible is correct (NO RELIGIOUS DEBATES), mating with anyone is inbreeding as everyone is a child of Adam/Eve, so regardless, you're always inbreeding.

Religion aside, it's just wrong. You're screwing up your kids life because you couldn't find a real partner? :x
Oh, and what's FML?

Dani 01-31-2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonlightMemento (Post 1142582)
Oh, and what's FML?

FML = www.fmylife.com

I have nothing else to add to what has already been said.

Skiegh 01-31-2010 01:53 PM

I think several generations need to go by before you're far enough apart to really consider dating. I mean if you have the same great great great grandparents who cares but if it's something close enough that your 1st grade teacher's assignment of doing a family tree links the two of you together then that's not good.

Think about how awkward family get togethers would be when you introduce your wife only to have her say to your grandmother "Oh, your dad was my great grandfather." (Who would say that but seriously)

In other words, if you're aware that you're related, you're far too related to date.

buta 01-31-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonlightMemento (Post 1142582)
In theory, assuming the Bible is correct (NO RELIGIOUS DEBATES), mating with anyone is inbreeding as everyone is a child of Adam/Eve, so regardless, you're always inbreeding.

If you want to think about it that way, you can cut it off at Noah since the flood keeled everyone but him and his family.

However, I'm pretty sure the idea is to allow evolution (no, not the monkey turning into man evolution) occur over a large time (ie. mutations. not mutations as in having a third arm, but mutations that would change certain physical characteristics) so that there is some variation within the gene pool. I believe the idea behind that was to make it so if there were some virus that killed everyone with one characteristic, the world wouldn't suddenly be full of dead people.

But all that aside, there are some other more theological points that can arise from your point that I don't wanna talk about cause I already have to worry about an essay and writing another one would suck. ._.

MoonlightMemento 01-31-2010 02:05 PM

Inbreeding results in the same genes, over and over again. How did Adam and Eve manage to make so many children? Or let's say (I don't have a copy of the Bible on hand) Adam and Eve were "tests", then more humans were made. Anyway you look at it - it's always incest.

True incest (with a cousin, sibling, etc) is never, ever a good idea. I'm assuming you are writing an essay about this for school, or something. The most logical reasons (not being emotional stuff) have already been said.

Marisa 01-31-2010 02:44 PM

Incest is horrible. Just like everyone says it causes physical mutations. I heard of people dating cousins before though :/.

Dani 01-31-2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buta (Post 1142617)
If you want to think about it that way, you can cut it off at Noah since the flood keeled everyone but him and his family.

However, I'm pretty sure the idea is to allow evolution (no, not the monkey turning into man evolution) occur over a large time (ie. mutations. not mutations as in having a third arm, but mutations that would change certain physical characteristics) so that there is some variation within the gene pool. I believe the idea behind that was to make it so if there were some virus that killed everyone with one characteristic, the world wouldn't suddenly be full of dead people.

But all that aside, there are some other more theological points that can arise from your point that I don't wanna talk about cause I already have to worry about an essay and writing another one would suck. ._.

Gilgamesh lived from the flood too :jj: search the epic of gilgamesh

Isn't it actually illegal to marry anyone from your family? I know in Japan its legal to marry your cousin but elsewhere..

PedroRomero 01-31-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dani (Post 1142692)
Gilgamesh lived from the flood too :jj: search the epic of gilgamesh

Isn't it actually illegal to marry anyone from your family? I know in Japan its legal to marry your cousin but elsewhere..

gilgamesh didn't live the flood. unapishtim did. and i think scholars think unapishtim is a version of noah. sorry if i spelled names wrong

SkyAngelic 01-31-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperXMeeRee (Post 1142143)

...who thought of this rule that it would be weird to date somebody in your own family tree anyways? I mean, we're all connected somehow anyways, right?

Definitely connected in some ways. I moved from California to Florida and met a Chinese girl that spoke the same Chinese dialect as me (gaginang that speaks jujo). We were like "I bet we're somehow related".

So we made a huge family tree and BAM, my grandpa's cousin was related to her great uncle-in-law.

Other than that, direct sibling and cousin incest is frowned upon and is labeled 'disgusting'

I think the only general viewpoints (other than religion and science) that doesn't have as much disagreement to incest are love ethics, some made-up religion that focuses on incest, or royalty.

Dani 01-31-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedroRomero (Post 1142706)
gilgamesh didn't live the flood. unapishtim did. and i think scholars think unapishtim is a version of noah. sorry if i spelled names wrong

I was close enough ;_;

MoonlightMemento 01-31-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyAngelic (Post 1142742)
Definitely connected in some ways. I moved from California to Florida and met a Chinese girl that spoke the same Chinese dialect as me (gaginang that speaks jujo). We were like "I bet we're somehow related".

So we made a huge family tree and BAM, my grandpa's cousin was related to her great uncle-in-law.

Other than that, direct sibling and cousin incest is frowned upon and is labeled 'disgusting'

I think the only general viewpoints (other than religion and science) that doesn't have as much disagreement to incest are love ethics, some made-up religion that focuses on incest, or royalty.

Royalty is a really huge contradiction if it's all inbred, eh?

buta 01-31-2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonlightMemento (Post 1142782)
Royalty is a really huge contradiction if it's all inbred, eh?

How is that a contradiction? They believe royalty is in the blood so they don't want to taint it with the commoners.

PedroRomero 01-31-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dani (Post 1142692)

It's legal in quite a few states of the US to marry your cousin. the state i live in is one of em