ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > Off Topic > Life & Relationships

Loong - The Power of the Dragon
Looking for a new MMO?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
12-02-2009   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Ashie is a name known to allAshie is a name known to allAshie is a name known to allAshie is a name known to allAshie is a name known to allAshie is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Ashie Send a message via MSN to Ashie Send a message via Yahoo to Ashie Send a message via Skype™ to Ashie
IGN: Lynxz,LynChan,MeekaBearz
Class: Fat Emu Sheep / Fat Emu Kittehs to_schoolgirl
Level: 15x,20x,6x
Guild: Midnight
Default My Pet Ferret

So the other day my Hubby brings home a Albino Ferret..

I dunno how old he is because Brian got him from a friend. His name is Cujo.

I've been around Ferrets before but I was really young and they were my Friend who's like a sister's.

His cage is kinds small and he really dont have that much room to run around in, I let him out but I have to keep a good eye on him because he'll sneek out of the room and Brian wont really watch him. I'm scared his mom's dog will get ahold of him or the outside cats that come in ( His mom allows this) will try and eat him. My cats dont mind him at all.

But I dunno if I should buy one of them Huge Hamster Balls for Chinchilla's to put him in so he can run around and play. He plays with me and does the war dance and that kind scares Brian cus he think's he'll bite me.

but if any of you have Ferrets can you give me some tips plz?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
12-03-2009   #2 (permalink)
Mr BLOW YOUR MIND Simple
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineWorld of WarcraftLineage II
Awards Retired Content StaffTwitter Fan

PedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Seasoning
Class: Cleric & Knight to_gambler
Level: E
Guild: Hardcore

pics pl0x!

i never had a ferret and i don't know if i have ever seen one irl. maybe when i was really young. so nope no advice. sorry

12-03-2009   #3 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games
MapleStoryLuniaKingdom of LoathingCity of Heroes
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM AwardPervert Award

Location: Narnia, and the north! Wait....is Narnia supposed to be Canada?
Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi
IGN: SakiaLumei, Arphage
Class: Aran, Blaze Wiz lt_treasurehunter
Level: 9x,3x
Guild: Cupcake

If you get him a ball, don't leave him in for more than 30 minutes at a time.

Make sure you litter train him, and if you let him out, have several litter pans for him to use.

Ferret Care Guide

Remember that ferrets are very social creatures, like dogs. They usually do best if you have two of them, and you may want to get a bigger cage for him.

<3 ferrets. Too bad they're illegal in California.

12-03-2009   #4 (permalink)
Has Trouble Sleeping
Special

CountBlood is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to CountBlood
Guild: Red Eclipse

Why are they illegal? O.o

12-03-2009   #5 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games
MapleStoryLuniaKingdom of LoathingCity of Heroes
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM AwardPervert Award

Location: Narnia, and the north! Wait....is Narnia supposed to be Canada?
Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi
IGN: SakiaLumei, Arphage
Class: Aran, Blaze Wiz lt_treasurehunter
Level: 9x,3x
Guild: Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountBlood
Why are they illegal? O.o
It's a really stupid and completely outdated law that had something to do with Ferrets being harmful to the wildlife and environment if they got loose (which isn't true anyways since ferrets are completely domesticated, and can't survive in the wild).

12-03-2009   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict

Kruger has a spectacular aura aboutKruger has a spectacular aura about
IGN: VaporTrail
Class: E75 / Jagdpanther

I doubt the ferret sized exercise ball is really necessary, got 1 for my ferrets and they don't even know how to roll around whilst in it. If you do decide to get one anyway, keep it away from stairs.

Ferrets can get along well and even play with other animals. Hold on to him when you introduce him to the other animals and keep an eye on how they react. If the dog has no problems around the cats, then it shouldn't be any different with the ferret.

The cage doesn't need to be very big, as long as its tall enough so that he can stand up comfortably, has enough room for a litter box, food bowl, water bottle, a blanket/old cloth for bedding, it's good. For exercise, let him out for at least 2 hours a day (1 hour in the morning before you go to work, and 1 hour at night). The rest of the time he'll be eating or sleeping (which is why ferrets are so hyper.)

Before letting him out to play, you might want to close off the places where you don't want him to wander into (close doors, block the little space that leads behind the refrigerator, patch the hole under the sofa XD .) Keep an eye on him at all times, if he feels bored he might start looking for things to climb, steal, and/or destroy. If he starts chewing on things that you don't want him to, you can get some bitter stuff (don't remember what it's called.) It can be used on furniture, wires, and hands.

For food, ferrets require a high protein diet. I give mine a 50/50 mix of 8 in 1 Ultimate chicken+rice formula and Science Diet kitten formula. Marshal is also a good brand. You don't have to do a mix, I just like to give some variety. With the Furtone supplement (comes in a bottle, there's a 8 in 1 brand and a Marshal brand with similar names, either of the 2 works), they suggest 3/4 teaspoon added daily to their food. That's a bit if an overdose, 3-5 drops daily is enough. Keeps a healthy coat and reduces shedding is all it does (he'll still shed mind you, just no tumbleweeds... eerr.. tumblehairs.) You can also give him fresh fruits as treats.

Litter training outside the cage can be a bit frustrating at times. As a ferret will mark its territories here and there, most of the time they will go in one particular area. What you can do is put a litterbox there. Any time you see him walking backwards with his tail raised if not in the litterbox, just pick him up and put him in the litterbox. You might have to do this multiple times but he'll get the idea.

Oh and keep him away from rocking chairs and tight tubes that he might try to go through.

12-04-2009   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Ashie is a name known to allAshie is a name known to allAshie is a name known to allAshie is a name known to allAshie is a name known to allAshie is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Ashie Send a message via MSN to Ashie Send a message via Yahoo to Ashie Send a message via Skype™ to Ashie

I'll have Pics of Cujo soon as I find the charger for Brian's phone but this is what he looks like xD

I'll try the ball just to see how well it goes with him. As far as the cats My cats don't mind him Tigger my oldest inst to sure about him yet but Brian's cat Sassy trys to play with him alot. As far as the dog goes I'm sure he wouldnt hurt him but the dog is really snobby when it comes to food..I know this sounds mean but I kicked that gd dog because he went after my cat cus my fat and food and when he tried to bite my cat I kicked him >_>;; I dont want him doing that to Cujo.

As far as his diet goes..Atm he eats my cat's food its pretty high in protein and I give him bits of my magos when I have them, other then that he eats seeds and nuts.

I'm not worried about him being litter box trained because the other day when I let him out, he went right into the closet where I keep my cats litter box , tho he didnt get into it he pooped on the pad under neath the litter box. So I made him up a small one for his cage but I gotta put it in the place he poops D=

He's taking up with me over Brian which is funny I get him out and he wants me to hold him, Brian gets him and he's clawing to get away and run around.

One more question tho..Should I clip his nails? They're long and they hurt but I'm used to being clawed by my moms cat. But I have smaller kids that wanna play with him. I've cliped my dogs nails and my cats before but Should I on his since they are really long and he has nothing to wear them down on?

12-04-2009   #8 (permalink)
FABULOUS MILKSHAKES
Games
Ragnarok Online
Awards Twitter Fan

Milkshakes is a jewel in the roughMilkshakes is a jewel in the roughMilkshakes is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Lady GaGa
Class: Pop Star lt_bard
Level: ∞
Guild: Haus Of GaGa

Awww, he's photogenic!
You're making me want a ferret

12-04-2009   #9 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games
Trickster OnlineAuditionGrand ChasePangya
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

Torikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Torikakae Send a message via Yahoo to Torikakae Send a message via Skype™ to Torikakae
IGN: Torikakae
Class: Buffalo to_buffalo
Level: 400
Guild: Mirage Coordinator

....You should've named it Stuart Little ^^

~Thank you Shnao for the siggie~

12-04-2009   #10 (permalink)
Mr BLOW YOUR MIND Simple
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineWorld of WarcraftLineage II
Awards Retired Content StaffTwitter Fan

PedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Seasoning
Class: Cleric & Knight to_gambler
Level: E
Guild: Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torikakae
....You should've named it Stuart Little ^^
lol i also find that a fittig name. then again ferrets are long so it only looks like stewart little from the front

12-04-2009   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

I haven another question ._. I want a Bunny...I had one a a few years ago but it died because well I'm not sure but someone told me it was because I feed it cabbage to much or something but the person I got it from said alot of the bunny's had died too they all of a sudden fell over in their cages...I've read that Ferrets are used to hunt Rabbits...And that they prey on them..Should I get a bunny or wait?

Plus Im thinking about getting another ferret but they cost alot at Petco... Veily gibe me discount 8D?

12-04-2009   #12 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

Nezu will become famous soon enoughNezu will become famous soon enough

I had a friend that had a bunny and ferret. He had the train the ferret at a young age to get along with the bunny. Also because the ferret was female it supposedly was less likely to hurt the rabbit. As an extra measure they were always supervised when in the same room and usually they were let out at different times. If you decide to go through will it I would introduce the rabbit to the ferret in stages so it can get use to it. I would advise against having both though.

NezukoChan - lvl 1xx - Permanently 2nd job Bunny

12-08-2009   #13 (permalink)
Has Trouble Sleeping
Special

CountBlood is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to CountBlood
Guild: Red Eclipse

Dang Lyn wants lots of animals! I just have one cat..

Anyway I wouldn't get a ferret and a rabbit they could get fighting and that wouldn't be any fun..

And try to cut his nails if he scratches you, that would suck.

01-16-2010   #14 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Corrosion is on a distinguished road
Default Ferret Care Guide

Make sure you obtain your Ferret Care Guide to ensure your ferret is well looked after!