Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
01-04-2009   #1 (permalink)
Play Ikariam?
Special

PlayerKiller is on a distinguished road
Default Joining the Army.

Now I know we have some people in the military (whichever country you may be from) so this question is directed to you guys:

I've been thinking about this for a long time and I think now that I'm 18 is the time to take action.

I'm considering joining the Canadian army next year, no not because I want to be in a real FPS or some stupid shit like that, but I believe I don't really have much direction in life at the moment.

I think joining something like the army will help me get my priorities straight, also, it may sound corny but I've always been very patriotic and interested in what's going on in the world, I think this may be a stepping stone to something greater in my life.

Anyway, I just want to know what you military types think of the organization you may be participating in, can you tell me what it would take to succeed? Maybe some general opinions/suggestions?

(This question can also be directed to people who may have friends or family in the military)

Ikarium - Odephus - Lambda world
Retired - PlayerKiller - 2xx Dark Dragon [R.I.P]

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
01-04-2009   #2 (permalink)
Martyed to evil

Eternal has disabled reputation

Well.. Im against joining the military. You never know when the major war will come and you just might be dispatched. No, its not that I am scared of death. It is because I deem war as murder, even though I am an Atheist.

We need soldiers though( unless new groups are formed) in times of disastors to rescue civilians. An example of this would be the Chinese military sent out to rescue civilians during the Earthquake.

If you are determined to join the military, I suggest becoming a non-combatant.

No matter what may await, please don't regret meeting me.

Solomid Guides:
http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=22360

01-04-2009   #3 (permalink)
GM Magnet
Special

SEGAMew will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to SEGAMew
IGN: ~LeonSchroeder~, HaoQiao,
Class: Lion to_scientist
Level: 253
Guild: DayBreak

Expect to be shot at and hated for no apparent reason.

Actually, I wouldn't know how do Canadians take care of their Army soldiers... but from what I can see (which probably isn't much >__>), many new USA Army personnel can expect to be sent to dangerous areas wear your life is always at stake just because you're an American.

I can't really say if joining the Army will set your life straight since it varies from person to person. Being in the USA Navy kinda screwed my head some, making me feel... a lot less caring towards humans. No it's not that the Navy trained me to be that way, the Navy agitated me to the extreme and saw nothing but bad within our own military.

But anyway, to be successful in the military, do everything higher ranks tell you to do, even though you may not agree with the command. Always do your best and show them that you actually want to be there... yeah it's simple, but a lot of people have a hard time doing this, including me. Remember that joining the military is a commitment, there are no trial periods here.

Oh yeah and don't join the military expecting to "see the world" in terms of traveling all over the world for fun/learning/etc. All but one of my instructors here in this Navy base haven't been to Australia, even though they were deployed on ships that supposedly go to this mystical land.

[Temporary Sig Until I Get a New one] - Now where have I heard that one before @.@
[Leon's Thread of Arts]

Last edited by SEGAMew; 01-04-2009 at 09:43 PM.

01-04-2009   #4 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute
Class: NONE

The Canadian Armed Forces have once central boot camp where you'll be trained and even in boot camp you will have a lot of liberties, like weekends and freedom when not training

which is completely unlike the USMC, where I spent four years (loved it) and boot camp was brutal and nonstop

I'd strongly suggest you join the Air Force branch of your armed services, unless you like to play with guns and be in the mud. Being in the armed forces will not give you instant direction, but it can help in getting your priorities straight, as you said. Just keep in mind you're signing your life away for a set amount of years, and you can't "quit" like a normal job.

01-04-2009   #5 (permalink)
Play Ikariam?
Special

I'm actually really interested joining the Air Force, though I heard you need to be in almost perfect physical condition and have very good eyesight, only a slight deviation from 20/20. I saw this on the Military Channel and it was profiling something on the United States Air Force, but I'd think it would be the same here in Canada...

01-04-2009   #6 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute
Class: NONE

well I'm blind in one eye and I was still an expert marksman as well as an instructor

I'm pretty sure your eyesight doesn't have to be spot-on perfect to enlist in the Canadian Air Force, but it'd be required to be an officer pilot

01-04-2009   #7 (permalink)
Play Ikariam?
Special

I just looked in to Officer Pilots, they need strong academic performance, "At least 20/20 vision" (which already disqualifies me), not to mention a whole slew of other requirements I don't think I qualify for.

I think I'd do well as an Infantry soldier, maybe if I do well and demonstrate good ability at being infantry I read somewhere that they offer specialized courses such as training to be a sniper, or parachutist, etc (although I don't know if I'll be in the military long enough to qualify)

01-04-2009   #8 (permalink)
ZeR
ggFTW Stalker
Special Games
La TaleDragon Nest

ZeR is a glorious beacon of lightZeR is a glorious beacon of lightZeR is a glorious beacon of lightZeR is a glorious beacon of lightZeR is a glorious beacon of light

i wanted to have a try at the army too but I've decided otherwise now. If you want to be part of the air-force, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to be a soldier or something. You can be a chef or engineer or what not. Heck, I've seen people join to be the navy's bartender.

01-05-2009   #9 (permalink)
Red
Manual Breathing
Games
Battlefield HeroesCombat ArmsConquer OnlineCross Fire
Awards Retired Forum Operations StaffEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerFacebook FanTwitter Fan

Red has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Sircuit
Class: WH
Level: 117
Guild: ggFTW

I am not sure if this offer still exists but in my Highschool students were offered military training with some pay and a contract for X years to defend Canada in case of war (home front).

Basically they can't send you overseas, so look into that if you are unwilling to go overseas.

01-05-2009   #10 (permalink)
Lazy Lurkin'
Special
Games
Atlantica OnlineDofusTrickster OnlineRift: Planes of Telara

Javier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Javier
IGN: Ripchord
Class: Commando

I was a coast guard for two years and I can say it was a pretty eye-opening experience. I learnt how to handle all sorts of weaponry, about ship systems, and how to navigate coastal waters as well as open seas. I guess the only thing I hated was the constant enforcement of rank and file authority.

How to succeed? Well you have to work your way up the ranks, so that means excelling at your vocation, following any and all orders from superiors (face it, if you're a private or a corporal, you're still pretty much the lowest ranking soldier around), and of course, gaining the favour of your direct in-charges who have a say in your promotion.

I cannot comment much about being an infantryman as I don't have much training in that field, but honestly I wouldn't encourage you to take up that vocation unless you enjoy camo, trenching, crawling through mud, and spending days/weeks outfield in a desert or forest with nothing but combat rations to sustain you.

It's the nature of my circuitry.

01-05-2009   #11 (permalink)
GM Magnet
Special

SEGAMew will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to SEGAMew
IGN: ~LeonSchroeder~, HaoQiao,
Class: Lion to_scientist
Level: 253
Guild: DayBreak

The Navy is the source of Healthcare and Food for the other branches, and transportation.

Moochers =|

[Temporary Sig Until I Get a New one] - Now where have I heard that one before @.@
[Leon's Thread of Arts]

01-07-2009   #12 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Pentao has a spectacular aura aboutPentao has a spectacular aura aboutPentao has a spectacular aura about
IGN: Pentao
Class: (Dagger) Ruin Walker / Rogue Master lt_treasurehunter
Level: 18X / 14X
Guild: Syndicate [Leader]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal
It is because I deem war as murder, even though I am an Atheist.
Wait what. Since when do all atheists believe that war is not murder? It doesn't take religion to tell you war is, or is not murder. Sure it can guide you but really, no, being an atheist has little to nothing to do with thinking war is murder.

Sorry for being a tad off topic, but that irked me.

01-07-2009   #13 (permalink)
Crescent Fresh
Special
Games
Ragnarok OnlineTrickster OnlineLuniaPangya
Awards Facebook FanTwitter Fan

NoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to NoeJeko Send a message via MSN to NoeJeko Send a message via Skype™ to NoeJeko
IGN: NoeJeko
Class: Warrior lt_warrior
Level: 23
Guild: Kirameki

I guess I should chime in on this thread.

I spent 6 years in the US Air Force, separating as a staff sergeant (E-5). Joining the Air Force was the single best thing I've done in my adult life.

It forced me to grow up, very quickly. At age 22 I was still just floating through life. I didn't have any direction and, when I would decide on a direction, it felt like I was running on a treadmill trying to get there. The Air Force taught me to develop plans and execute those plans - a skill that got me where I am today.

The Air Force taught me everything I know about leadership. Entering at 22, I was immediately forced into the role of dorm chief for my basic training unit. Looking back on that experience, I know now that I knew nothing about leadership. I still recall half of my element leaders wanting to quit because they couldn't stand working for me. At the end of my tour of duty, troops wanted to come and work on my shifts. Not because I was easy to work for - I demanded excellence and attention to detail in every task completed - but because they knew I would take care of them, give them the recognition they deserved, and kick them in the ass when they slacked off. It gave me the skills I needed to effectively lead this community of 1800+ active members =]

The Air Force taught me about management - management of resources, personnel, logistics, time, etc. Time management is a skill very few people have - even after completing college - and one they need to be effective in today's workforce.

The Air Force taught me honor, dignity, pride, and courtesy. People randomly will tell me I have excellent posture - I don't walk around with my shoulders slumped looking at the ground. I look people in the eyes when speaking to them. I stand when replying to someone senior to me, and stand to shake hands with anyone that offers theirs. I'm probably the only one at my office that knows how to properly display and honor a US flag.

The Air Force let me work with bigass explosives =]

If I had to do it all over again - knowing how the experience would be - I wouldn't change my decision at all. There were times that it was rough, times that I worked 16-18 hour shifts, 7 days a week, for weeks straight because we had a war to fight. There were times I had to perform funeral detail for comrades who fell in battle. Even knowing all that, I'd do it over in a heartbeat.

I would not, however, continue my career in the military. It was a good and educational experience but it was not what I wanted for the rest of my life.
[ggFTW on Twitter][ggFTW on Facebook][NoeJeko on Twitter]

01-07-2009   #14 (permalink)
VIP

Tamiki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayerKiller
Now I know we have some people in the military (whichever country you may be from) so this question is directed to you guys:

I've been thinking about this for a long time and I think now that I'm 18 is the time to take action.

I'm considering joining the Canadian army next year, no not because I want to be in a real FPS or some stupid shit like that, but I believe I don't really have much direction in life at the moment.

I think joining something like the army will help me get my priorities straight, also, it may sound corny but I've always been very patriotic and interested in what's going on in the world, I think this may be a stepping stone to something greater in my life.

Anyway, I just want to know what you military types think of the organization you may be participating in, can you tell me what it would take to succeed? Maybe some general opinions/suggestions?

(This question can also be directed to people who may have friends or family in the military)
Canadian forces ish pretty much about peacekeeping missions and I leik the fact that Canada ish a middle power. :3

Just be sure you fight in what you believe in, if you don't have that, then don't bother joining the army.

Good luck with your decision. :3

01-07-2009   #15 (permalink)
Martyed to evil

Eternal has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentao
Wait what. Since when do all atheists believe that war is not murder? It doesn't take religion to tell you war is, or is not murder. Sure it can guide you but really, no, being an atheist has little to nothing to do with thinking war is murder.

Sorry for being a tad off topic, but that irked me.
That was accidental.... D:... I watched 7 Deadly Sins for 5 hours that day, in which it talked about murder and war.... So I guess I slipped it in there. I was still thinking about Christianity etc when I typed that. And yes, saying war is murder has little to do with religion.

No matter what may await, please don't regret meeting me.

Solomid Guides:
http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=22360

01-07-2009   #16 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Pentao has a spectacular aura aboutPentao has a spectacular aura aboutPentao has a spectacular aura about
IGN: Pentao
Class: (Dagger) Ruin Walker / Rogue Master lt_treasurehunter
Level: 18X / 14X
Guild: Syndicate [Leader]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal
That was accidental.... D:... I watched 7 Deadly Sins for 5 hours that day, in which it talked about murder and war.... So I guess I slipped it in there. I was still thinking about Christianity etc when I typed that. And yes, saying war is murder has little to do with religion.
Oh okay good.

01-08-2009   #17 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games
MapleStoryLuniaKingdom of LoathingCity of Heroes
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM AwardPervert Award

Location: Narnia, and the north! Wait....is Narnia supposed to be Canada?
Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi
IGN: SakiaLumei, Arphage
Class: Aran, Blaze Wiz lt_treasurehunter
Level: 9x,3x
Guild: Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayerKiller
I'm actually really interested joining the Air Force, though I heard you need to be in almost perfect physical condition and have very good eyesight, only a slight deviation from 20/20. I saw this on the Military Channel and it was profiling something on the United States Air Force, but I'd think it would be the same here in Canada...
I don't know about the almost perfect physical condition, but your eyesight doesn't have to be tops, just good. When I went to take the physical exams to join the air force, my eyesight didn't really affect it that much, and I have crap depth perception (20/20 in one eye, 20/40 in the other). What got me disqualified though was my back being screwed up.

My two best friends and my brother all have vision problems and got into the air force just fine though (My brother has astigmatism, my bf is partially color blind with bad eyesight, and my other friend is legally blind without his glasses). Also, all of them were either over or under the weight requirement.

I'd personally recommend against the army though. I don't know how it is in Canada, but over here, a lot of Army guys get the short end of the stick. A brother of a friend of mine had to help with rescuing people after Ike struck Houston, and he got paid next to nothing, and was forced to take off work from his decently paying job for strenuous, thankless labor, and he has a family to support ._.

01-09-2009   #18 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIkariamSword 2La Tale
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent Winner

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

How about looking into this instead:
https://jobs.un.org/Galaxy/Release3/...aspx?lang=1200