Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
11-07-2008   #1 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina
Default Robbery

It seems, it happens frequently now, at my neighborhood, and also my workplace.

Just last month, my boss's house been robbed, and luckily they're alright. He lost his wallet and a 4wd.

If you wonder about the police? Nah, they won't helps. It happens @ 4am, called police @ 5:00am, and they came over at 11AM. Oh, how fast they were.

And just recently, some shop houses @ my workplace has been robbed, and luckily all of the workers and staff are ok, just some items gone, like money.

And that makes me feel, lol, kinda uneasy, since I'm always late going back from work, and maybe some of my other colleague, but still, I'm staying back late for most @_@' ...maybe I should get more knives at my side, so I can just /throw on them @_@'

So ok, cctv, alarm system....as prevention...but I don't think that will helps, if the robbers just sabotages those thing or make me or someone as hostage ;;

Anyway, what do you think, the most effective, or better way to prevent these happening, like prevent robbery, and also what if there's robbery happened in your area?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
11-07-2008   #2 (permalink)
Just a cosmic girl
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIris OnlineFlyFFRagnarok Online
Awards Event WinnerSotW Beginner

Moonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant future
IGN: Moonflow
Class: Kitty
Level: RIP

as long as you/the company have insurance let them take whatever the hell they want and get out.
'maybe I should get more knives at my side, so I can just /throw on them' very bad idea.all they want is the goods, let them have it, it doesnt hurt you.
if your confronted by them let them know you dont want any trouble and you couldn't care less that they are stealing from a company, reasure them that your not going to try anything funny and even promise to not give a description to the police.
why put your life in danger for a few items?

11-07-2008   #3 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina

Not that I mean. Fine, if just for the items, then, take it away.

But as for, if they do tried to harm you, like, ok, like rape you, don't you just stand there and do nothing.

11-07-2008   #4 (permalink)
VIP

VorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond repute

Travel in groups, stay in well lit areas, and if all else fails, carry a taser and learn a martial art. I used to commute to work from a bad neighborhood at one point, and wearing a tacky, worn out coat from the Salvation Army store to cover up the suit really helped. Also keep in mind that there is no such thing as crime prevention. Better locks, stronger doors, and more cameras do not stop crime from happening; they just deter the robbers and move them from where the locks are strong to where the locks are weak. At the end of the day, they still rob someone; it just won't be you 8D

11-07-2008   #5 (permalink)
Sleepy Pineapple
Special

Levin has disabled reputation
IGN: Sety
Class: Sleepy Pineapple
Level: 11x
Guild: KoC

That's one way to look at it...but hey if everyone had strong locks and such and even guard dogs/turrets/robots/whatever then who would they rob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing
as long as you/the company have insurance let them take whatever the hell they want and get out.
'maybe I should get more knives at my side, so I can just /throw on them' very bad idea.all they want is the goods, let them have it, it doesnt hurt you.
if your confronted by them let them know you dont want any trouble and you couldn't care less that they are stealing from a company, reasure them that your not going to try anything funny and even promise to not give a description to the police.
why put your life in danger for a few items?
Wouldn't that more or less encourage them to rob you/your company again seeing as how you're so willing to give up? I personally think it's fine to let them rob the stuff but saying all that extra stuff...I don't really think it's needed.

11-07-2008   #6 (permalink)
Just a cosmic girl
Special
Games

Moonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin
Wouldn't that more or less encourage them to rob you/your company again seeing as how you're so willing to give up? I personally think it's fine to let them rob the stuff but saying all that extra stuff...I don't really think it's needed.
well that was just an example of showing that your willing to stay calm and corporate.
your own choice of words and actions are entirely ones own, and would be circumstance based.
in some cases it might be good to talk to the person/peoples to calm them, in others it might be best to keep quiet, really depends on your midset and the mindset of the people your dealing with.
and a lot of the time instincts kick in at times like that and you automaticaly do what you think is best to survive the situation.
everyone has their own way of dealing with things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyuki
Not that I mean. Fine, if just for the items, then, take it away.

But as for, if they do tried to harm you, like, ok, like rape you, don't you just stand there and do nothing.
sorry i thought this was just about robbery, in which most cases the offenders are not looking for trouble and only turn violent when someone tries to apprehend or anything that causes them to panic.
In a general sense of what can you do to protect yourself from muggers, rapists etc.
I'd take vorpals advice.

11-07-2008   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Awards Event Winner

Senike is just really niceSenike is just really niceSenike is just really niceSenike is just really nice

My friend has been house-robbed (is this even a word) `-`
She was walking home and saw some mysterious moving body that doesn't look like her parents and found out that was a thief `-`Her family lost quite alot of money too >_<

ocruelworld

11-07-2008   #8 (permalink)
Just a cosmic girl
Special
Games

my house has been robbed before.
we were all out tho.
he/they just took all eletronic stuff like playstation, dvd player,dvd's.
we got it all back from insurance, the thing that bothers you is the creepyness of it.
someone had been in my bedroom and empty'd out all my draws, even the one with my underwear in probably hoping to find a secret stash of money >.>
felt pretty creeped out for a few weeks after that.
in a strange way i felt lucky tho, to have a robber who was just after goods that he could get cold hard cash for and not one of the ****'s that wreck your house and destroy sentimental stuff.

11-07-2008   #9 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

John is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to John
IGN: Jonathan
Level: 2x

my friend just got robbed a week a go in his business,2 guys with knifes tied him in a chair a took the money,his cellphone and his laptop.
that sucks and he was with his 10 year old brother when that ocurred.
damn people get a job

11-07-2008   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict

Etna is on a distinguished road
IGN: Greyhowl
Class: Pervy Knight lt_explorer
Level: 75 (Total 226)
Guild: iReject!

yikes havnt been robbed as of yet.. must be my protection system <3 a radio thats sometimes on and a bird that has a habit of repeating "hello? hello.. hello?" if he hears someone at the door xD
Disgaea-31 Dain

yay im now the machine! the terminator! the w/e you want me to be! fun fun xD join mah fanclub.. nao! http://www.mymmogames.net/forum/grou...not-human.html

Property of Hana. <3 ya honey!
No worries! the handsome hero will be back shortly!

11-16-2008   #11 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

People get robbed quite a bit in town, but I've never heard of anyone being hurt. The convenience stores used to get robbed a couple times a week and a lot of them have shut down now (except on the main street where everything is cameras). Honestly the only places I see police protecting are pizzerias and coffee shops.

I've had a bike stolen before and a few friends have caught burglars in their homes. I can't say it's something I worry about though, we lock our doors and windows and that's usually enough to deter a lazy thief.

11-16-2008   #12 (permalink)
User Error
Games
MapleStoryEden Eternal
Awards Event Winner

Fuzzy is a glorious beacon of lightFuzzy is a glorious beacon of lightFuzzy is a glorious beacon of lightFuzzy is a glorious beacon of lightFuzzy is a glorious beacon of light

Just get a gun license and carry a gun.

If you see a thief shoot him in self defense or shoot near him as a warning.

11-16-2008   #13 (permalink)
I'll be here, don't worry
Games
Atlantica OnlineAuditionAngels OnlineAika Online
Awards Retired Forum Moderator

LaTale is a splendid one to beholdLaTale is a splendid one to beholdLaTale is a splendid one to beholdLaTale is a splendid one to beholdLaTale is a splendid one to beholdLaTale is a splendid one to beholdLaTale is a splendid one to beholdLaTale is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to LaTale Send a message via Skype™ to LaTale
IGN: Khamael
Class: Wizard/bard lt_bard
Level: -shrug-
Guild: Ciao
Xfire: amittoletumfuzzy

^ If you're gonna shoot him. Shoot him in the leg or as you said, Near him.
However, I don't like weapons...
Or you just can go and learn Aikido/Judo/Karate and shove him into the ground.

11-19-2008   #14 (permalink)
~_~
Games
Dragon NestLuniaDungeon Fighter Online

Pathos has disabled reputation

My dad and his employees were robbed while they were working at a nail salon... I was worried, but not surprised since robbers were common in my old neighborhood >_>

I moved to the suburbs in New Jersey, so things are rather different here...

As for measures to prevent robbery, I suggest being in a group of people that you are familiar with. Self-defense is another option I suppose :s