Eudemons Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
07-01-2008   #1 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games
Trickster OnlineAuditionGrand ChasePangya
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

Torikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Torikakae Send a message via Yahoo to Torikakae Send a message via Skype™ to Torikakae
IGN: Torikakae
Class: Buffalo to_buffalo
Level: 400
Guild: Mirage Coordinator
Default Suicide at school

Imagine that you come to school early on a Monday morning, and the first thing you witness is this....

Quote:
Ateneo teaching assistant found dead in schoolroom
Cops find signs victim killed himself
First Posted 03:29:00 07/01/2008

MANILA, Philippines – A teaching assistant of Ateneo de Manila University (AdMU) was found dead on the campus Monday in what the police said was a case of suicide.

The body of Jose Lorenzo Tan, 24, was discovered by a utility worker in a room at the Department of Philosophy at around 6 a.m., according to a report from the Quezon City Police District’s Criminal Investigation and Detection Unit (QCPD-CIDU).

AdMU watchmen told the police that Tan, a resident of Cubao, Quezon City, went inside the building at around 2 p.m. Sunday and told them he was working on an assignment. As a teaching assistant, Tan’s main task at the department was to conduct research.

The report said the victim, who was enrolled in AdMU’s Graduate School, could have died of suffocation following the discovery of burnt pieces of charcoal in his room.

QCPD-CIDU investigators said they found the room’s windows, door and other openings covered with plastic bags and cellophane, apparently to ensure that “the smoke coming from the charcoal would not escape.”

One of the policemen on the case said they found in Tan’s laptop several stories from the Internet about the harmful effects of charcoal smoke.

Probers said they were checking information that it was the victim’s third attempt to take his own life.

Relatives described Tan as “a loner but very intelligent.” Police added that Tan’s family also told them he was “obsessed” with philosophical readings that espoused suicide.

An official statement from AdMU said Tan, who graduated from the school in 2006 with a management engineering degree, “had been feeling depressed for some time and investigation showed that he took his own life. The family requests that their privacy be respected at this time.”

Sonia Araneta, head of the university’s Communication and Public Relations Office, declined to give more details on the incident.
Ateneo teaching assistant found dead in schoolroom - INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos

All Philosophy classes were canceled for that day. Rumors we're flying here and there, like the main purpose was to burn down the department of stuff like that. Today, all we talked about in philosophy class is about suicide...

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
07-01-2008   #2 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina

That is ._."""

07-01-2008   #3 (permalink)
Muspasuta
Special

Allan has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Allan
IGN: Mustapusta
Class: Male
Level: 99
Guild: None

suicides nowadays D:

07-01-2008   #4 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIkariamSword 2La Tale
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent Winner

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

What the hell. Someone read too much Sartre and Neitzsche. It's like that time when someone jumped off the roof of the SEC building after flunking Accounting.

Also... This is freaky. You and pandaccoon are Ateneans. o_o

07-01-2008   #5 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games

Torikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Torikakae Send a message via Yahoo to Torikakae Send a message via Skype™ to Torikakae

Wait, so that story is true?! Someone really did jump off the SEC building?! I've heard that story but I thought it was just a rumor....

07-01-2008   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict
Games
Trickster OnlineRappelzRakion: Chaos ForceRising Force Online

Pandaccoon will become famous soon enoughPandaccoon will become famous soon enough
IGN: Gedachtnis

wait what? this morning? just next door from our home base (Faura)? ._. whoaa

Our TNT told us that story during our orsem but he told us that the guy lived with broken bones +_+

is Torikakae a MaFin major?

07-01-2008   #7 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Torikakae is a Muffin major.

Anyway, SEC is only 3 stories high max. If he only jumped off the outdoor bridge/walkway connecting the 3 SEC buildings (which is the most dramatic setting for college suicide), that's only 2 stories. I think he leapt from the 2nd floor. Not a very smart guy.

07-01-2008   #8 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina

Too much action related movies or readings lately ._.?

Stresses...is like a walking time bomb ._.

07-01-2008   #9 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games

LOL MaFin? I'm an AMC Major~ There's only 6 of us in our batch so it's not that hard to pinpoint who I am~

And Panda, didn't you see all those cars in front of De La Costa during lunch yesterday? It's a clear sign that something happened since cars aren't allowed there anymore.

What probably struck me the most is that the guy who killed himself.....did it in the office of my Philosophy Professor. He said he'll never use that office again.

07-01-2008   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict
Games

Pandaccoon will become famous soon enoughPandaccoon will become famous soon enough

oh it was yesterday
i don't have class on mondays +_+
whoa he didn't do it in the office of the prof who has him as teaching assistant? =O

Last edited by Pandaccoon; 07-01-2008 at 07:57 AM.

07-01-2008   #11 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games

No, he's not my professor's teaching assistant. Well, the office was said to be the unofficial "hang out" place of graduate students in the Philosophy Department.

What's weird about this is, he went through a lot of trouble to kill himself through suffocation (Sealing the room and all that). Why did he choose that method? And why didn't the smoke detectors detect anything?

07-01-2008   #12 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict
Games

I heard from a friend that the wake was yesterday and the cremation was today. Pretty fast things happening here.
btw, is AMC the Applied Mathematics Major and Computational Science? Cool, alagang-alaga kayo ni Sir Raffy, bait nun ^^

07-01-2008   #13 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games

Yes it is, and yes we are~

Well, it was already his 3rd suicide attempt. I guess the family was prepared for it....

07-01-2008   #14 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games

Oddly enough, I came out of my Philo studies more idealistic and hopeful (reinforced with the Jesuit messiah complex) as opposed to this... fascination with morbid things.

My god, I wonder which philosopher did he misinterpret... =.= I bet Ateneo will reshuffle the philo syllabus.

07-01-2008   #15 (permalink)
Blader get??
Special

Andz will become famous soon enough
IGN: Nyooo/Confess/Banana
Class: Blader/Explorer/Gunslinger lt_blader
Level: 80/68/88
Guild: Kirameki/Kirameki/Kirameki

All this happened at AdMU?

I've always thought that AdMU was more of a 'safer' place than other more liberal and public schools like UP.

Wait, isn't AdMU a Jesuit school as well? Don't the counselors or priests there talk to students who show signs of problems or the like?

/is lost.

07-01-2008   #16 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games

AdMU is the preferred haven for elitist intellectuals who have money to spend on high-quality but unprofitable academic pursuits. Our business and IT courses suck, but we have amazing Humanities and Social Sciences tracks.

Now with this convalescence of brilliant but abstract minds, you never know what kind of eccentricity is gonna emerge. We're "physically" safe, but the culture of liberal ideas make sure that we get to study stuff like "Hell is other people" (hello, Sartre) or that women are the root of corruption (hello, Nietzsche). Twisted minds galore. Not even a minor's worth of Theology classes can save some people from that.

07-01-2008   #17 (permalink)
Blader get??
Special

Andz will become famous soon enough
IGN: Nyooo/Confess/Banana
Class: Blader/Explorer/Gunslinger lt_blader
Level: 80/68/88
Guild: Kirameki/Kirameki/Kirameki

Now I'm scared to go to college ;-;

*Cath scares me with her deep vocab D:*

Guess that these things really do happen...

Wait, I thought AdMU had a nice Business course? That John Gokongwei School of Management and stuff... We had an AdMU Professor give us a talk about AdMU and he sure did give a nice presentation.. and stuff about how successful graduates from the School of Management become..

07-02-2008   #18 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games

Well... Considering most large corporations have a preference for UP/Ateneo/LaSalle, it's much easier to get a good job. But, personally, I don't think business & IT are Ateneo's best points. Still good, but not the best in the country. I think best IT goes to LaSalle. I don't know about business school, but Ateneans are corporate-oriented, and LaSallites have better entrepreneurial tracks.

On topic:
Okay guys I just read an article at the Manila Times that another student from the Ateneo School of Law committed suicide a week before. What the hell?

Untitled Document

Quote:
Tan’s death came in the wake of the June 21 suicide of a recent Ateneo law graduate, Anna Patricia del Castillo, a daughter of former Ateneo law dean Cynthia Roxas-del Castillo and Court of Appeals Justice Mariano del Castillo, who jumped from a hotel building.

07-02-2008   #19 (permalink)
Benevolent Misfortune
Games
Ragnarok OnlineTrickster OnlineGunboundLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

Sanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud of
IGN: Sanichi
Class: Scholar
Level: 50
Guild: FrenchBread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torikakae
Imagine that you come to school early on a Monday morning, and the first thing you witness is this....

Ateneo teaching assistant found dead in schoolroom - INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos

All Philosophy classes were canceled for that day. Rumors we're flying here and there, like the main purpose was to burn down the department of stuff like that. Today, all we talked about in philosophy class is about suicide...
lol whut ._.''''

/ / / Playing:Tree of Savior

07-02-2008   #20 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Addict

Chobits has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to Chobits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharsis
What the hell. Someone read too much Sartre and Neitzsche.
Does Nietzsche really talk about suicide a lot in his writings? o.o; I mean, I've only read "The Gay Science" but he seems more of an epic ubermensch and sex dude.

Sorry if I sound newbie. D:

On Topic:
This is pretty sad and suicide is sad in general. People really need to take hints at suicide a lot more seriously because things can end up really bad ._.