ggFTW (
-   Life & Relationships (
-   -   Moving out (

Nihil679 04-24-2012 04:55 AM

Moving out
Planning on moving out of my house, away from my mom, without notice as soon as I get a car. I.e., running away. Personal reasons I won't infect Life & Relationships with.

What I would like to know is if there's anything as a somewhat fresh 18 year-old that needs to be done state-wise, such as changing state driver license, residential address, etc. whatever. Also, if possible and I were to go to college in another state (doubt it), is there anything I should do before the school year is over and I graduate?

Rhinehart 05-01-2012 04:36 PM

Hmm. You're moving out of state on your own? That'll be a bit of an undertaking. You'll need a new state ID, and driver's license probably, but you'll also need to put in a change of address at a post office.

As for going to college, I'd recommend visiting that school's career center first and foremost. They can help you get assessed for skills, and such, and they can show you what schools have the courses you want to take. Just make sure you've got a steady job before you start going to school and apply for all the scholarships you can, if possible.

ForTheCity 05-03-2012 04:17 PM

Well to be honest I don't think this is such a good idea. Since you want to run away from home without telling your mom what are you going to do when you run away?

Do you have money for necessities? Such as food, gas for the car, a place to live. Can you even pay for school? There are many things you have to think about before moving out. I'm currently working and I still live at home because the cost of moving out is too much.

Plus I'm pretty sure you really can't do much since the car will most likely be under your parents name so if they wanted they could take the car back. I'm sure they could just call the cops and eventually they'll find you. Technically you would be stealing their property.

Queen 05-03-2012 09:16 PM

Well, to be fair about the college thing, if you're living on your own you usually get a free ride if it's community college. My friend has been on her own since 18. She moved out after saving up all through high school and she's almost 21.

It is possible.

If the car is in your parents name, they can claim it. They'd have to write it over to you and you would have to take on the insurance, if you haven't already. This is just all assumptions, for all we know the car is in your name.

You'd have to reapply for a new drivers license in your new state I think, and you'd definitely have to update your address, but I don't know how/where you'd do that. It can also be hard moving out if you have no one to vouch for you for apartment owners or house renters. ex, someone could rat you out/where you are etc. I think it's like 3 months usually down payment on anything and the cheap cheap apartments with no heat/water/etc usually go for like 650 a month, so almost 2 thousand down right there. That's just my area though, it could be cheaper other places.

If you really want cheap, probably you want something like a house owner with a 6-bedroom house essentially made to house several people. My friends and I met a guy flipping an old house basically made to have each floor be an apartment, and it fits 6 people. I don't recall the cost but it's 250/mo cheaper where my friend has lived since 18 so it's gotta be pretty cheap, all-included.

Basically, car could screw you up depending, you probably/might need someone to vouch for your maturity for an apartment, which can get hairy, look for houses made to have like 4-6 people living there, are it'll likely be cheaper at the cost of probably having to deal with the problems of living with 3-5 other people.

My friend was also told to be wary of leasing agreements. You can get bound to something and want out but you can't get out.

Also, he'd probably be able to get food stamps. My friend applied as it's getting hard and she and her boyfriend get 170 a month. I mean, at this age, if you work your ass off, you can live on your own, go to school, and eat. My friend works 24-36 hours a week, goes to school full time, and makes all her own payments for everything since she was like 16 (she's always paid for the car).

maybeyou 05-08-2012 07:32 PM

I heard a song called ' MOVING OUT'.
Anyway it is a good choice for you.

buta 05-09-2012 03:24 PM

I will second the community college notion. Since you'll be an independent, you can get financial aid to help cover costs. You will probably still need a job on the side to pay for living expenses, though.

If you have places in mind for school, it's a good idea to get in contact with the counselors there.

Other stuff probably depends on the state you're planning on going to.

Cashmerre 05-16-2012 09:34 PM

In South Carolina you don't have to update your driver's license/plates if you are going to school from out of state. Not sure if that is different elsewhere.

Perhaps you could look into student housing if the school you plan to go to offers it? That's what I did when I started out on my own.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.