Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
04-20-2012   #1 (permalink)
You're my prince... =)
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineLeague of LegendsLuniaTrickster Online

Yumidesu has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to Yumidesu Send a message via AIM to Yumidesu Send a message via MSN to Yumidesu Send a message via Yahoo to Yumidesu Send a message via Skype™ to Yumidesu
IGN: Amiez
Level: Bronze League
Guild: Titans
Xfire: pandaamy
Default Getting a job...

I suppose this is the right section... if not, please move it. ^^

So, yeah. Anyways. I'm 19. In the US, in MS (Mississippi). I've been looking for a job since I was halfway into being 16. I had to dropout to find a job due to money needs. Anyways, I've been looking for a job for over three years now, and I can't seem to get one. I've applied like, everywhere.

Fast food places (like Sonic, Subway, and basic restaurants), dollar stores (Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, general cheap places), Kroger, K-Mart, Wal-Mart, etc. I've followed up, but I'm always told that due to my lack of experience (AKA having never having a job before) that they don't want to take a risk or a chance on me. So, can anyone offer me any advice? What to say or do or anything?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
04-20-2012   #2 (permalink)
사랑해~
Special
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerMoM AwardSotW JuniorWandering EyePervert Award

Aimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond repute

Keep applying to places, express an interest in whatever the job entails and show that you're willing to learn and do your best.

Or try applying for voluntary work/apprenticeship, if they're looking for experience that's the only way you're gonna get it, unless you manage to find a place thats offering to ''take a chance''. Here, we had 'work experience' which was 1-2 weeks of unpaid work at a workplace during school, just for that purpose.

I'm not sure why the places you've named would look for experienced people anyway, shop jobs don't exactly require it, and once you've worked a few shifts you'd not have a problem anyway. (I started working in a big D.I.Y store after doing my work experience in a small gift boutique, so they're completely different and I know -nothing- about D.I.Y~)

04-20-2012   #3 (permalink)
4.30.13 RIP
Special Games
Trickster OnlineRunescapeRobloxPangya
Awards Event WinnerWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Jessica has a reputation beyond reputeJessica has a reputation beyond reputeJessica has a reputation beyond reputeJessica has a reputation beyond reputeJessica has a reputation beyond reputeJessica has a reputation beyond reputeJessica has a reputation beyond reputeJessica has a reputation beyond reputeJessica has a reputation beyond reputeJessica has a reputation beyond reputeJessica has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jessica Send a message via Skype™ to Jessica
IGN: Settie
Level: 24
Guild: MC/Astro

Try applying to local businesses if any are hiring, those are the best to go for first. You could also try hotels if youre interested, housekeeping or working front desk. They train you for either one for a few weeks so you shouldnt need experience.

And really, fast food places and those kind of stores wont take you? Thats so stupid.. Fast food places usually train you/watch over you for a week or two, I dont know why youd need experience for that. The stores like Walmart all you do is scan and be nice to customers, or stock stuff which shouldnt need experience either.. Plus theres higher ups there to help if you ever need it. Its dumb D:

But good luck, Im sure youll find one somewhere, I know how hard it is these days.

Last edited by Jessica; 04-20-2012 at 09:29 AM.

04-20-2012   #4 (permalink)
Deadpool approves!
Games
Cosmic BreakGrand ChaseMapleStoryMabinogi

Marzai is a name known to allMarzai is a name known to allMarzai is a name known to allMarzai is a name known to allMarzai is a name known to allMarzai is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Marzai
IGN: -points at name-
Guild: None

It's all about persistence and patience. I remember having to ride my bike into town every day in the summer to find jobs, just because my step-mother said so. Then I landed a job I applied online for. Stupid.

Anyways, job searching is like a job in and of itself. Some places like it when you visit them physically rather than applying online, just so they can see who they're dealing with. That way they'll really know you're interested. At the same time, don't visit/call the same place every day; you'll just look desperate. You'll even have to see if you can apply to some convenience stores, gas stations, the local newspaper(s), and - if you have one - the public library. Try and think of places you've never thought of before as viable options.

As for the grocery stores you've mentioned...they at least could've made you a bagger or something. Then again, it IS coming to the time of year where people are out of school and/or college in the U.S., so hopefully you can nail a job before summer hits. That's when it's hardest to find anything.

Good luck out there, though. It's tough these days.

Pinkie Pool's archnemesis: Oatmeal.

04-20-2012   #5 (permalink)
You're my prince... =)
Games

Send a message via ICQ to Yumidesu Send a message via AIM to Yumidesu Send a message via MSN to Yumidesu Send a message via Yahoo to Yumidesu Send a message via Skype™ to Yumidesu

I don't do it every day, Marzai. I apply. Next week, I call. Week after that, I call. Then I skip a week, and then call. Then do it every two weeks. But.. ugh. No luck. I'll keep trying, though.

And yeah, Settie. It really is retarded. I could -easily- do a lot of these jobs. Like bagging or working a front desk or housekeeping or doing a fast food restaurant or being a cashier or stocking shelves. Even if I didn't, one to two weeks of training would put me in the right place to do it. Uuuugh. ~_~

Edit: I applied at a somewhat decent restaurant. They said they were in desperate need of dishwashers. I can wash dishes. Who can't? I followed up, but the person in charge of approving the applications and such never contacted me back for some reason. I hate life.

Last edited by Yumidesu; 04-20-2012 at 01:26 PM.

04-20-2012   #6 (permalink)
[夢]
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineGunboundLuniaAtlantica Online

Yume has disabled reputation
IGN: Yume/Relief/夢
Guild: Drop/JW/Kirameki/Hores(FT)

Perhaps you could try to improve your resume/cover letter. How? I'm honestly not sure, just rewording things I guess, and add towards your skills.
Otherwise, if they're looking for 'experienced workers', then you better volunteer for a while and then apply for a paying job.

04-23-2012   #7 (permalink)
You're my prince... =)
Games

Eh, I've been told to make a resume, but... I've also heard it would be kinda pointless. Since I don't really have anything to put on there.

But I was talking to my dad who's had a job ever since he was 16 (he's like 52 right now) and he asked if I had a resume. I said "Well... no. I mean, I don't really have anything worth a crap to put onto the resume, so I don't really see any point in it." then he said "Well, think about this. You and one other person apply for a job. He has the same amount of inexperience you do. Dropped out of school like you did. Never had a job. But he went through the trouble of obtaining a resume. You didn't. That shows that the other person is willing to put in effort, as opposed to you looking like you don't care or are slacking off." to which I said "Yeah, I suppose you're right."

So, blegh. But I don't even know where or how to create a resume. I could ask a friend, though.

Also, wanted to add something. Uhm, my mom's going to school. Everest, I think it is. They're paying her for going to school there after a few months, and giving her a laptop as well. Lol. She wants me to go since I'd get paid for it too, but I don't care for any of the degrees there. Nothing interests me. But it's something like $2,200 ~ $2,500 after a few months. But what I really want to do is get a job somewhere and get some money saved up so I can be nice and stable, and then apply for loans/grants to try to get into ITT Tech, if possible. That's where my dreams and interests lie. Do you guys think that's kinda... setting my expectations too high and such?

Last edited by Yumidesu; 04-23-2012 at 10:38 AM.

04-23-2012   #8 (permalink)
[夢]
Special
Games

Yeah, your dad's right. It doesn't matter whether or not you have anything on your resume, it's something that a lot of employers look for. It also has sections on where you can list your skills, such as are you good with microsoft programs, typing speed, or things like that. I actually have never made one/have one, but I will for a co-op program in the next school year, but they can be pretty important. Some people may not care at all, but some really do.

You can't just be like "I want a job" and expect that SOMEONE will hire you after you send in the basic application. You should also try talking to people/other employees. If you had to drop out because of financial reasons, then any job you can get, is better than none. You can't be picky, so talk to people and get on their good side.

04-23-2012   #9 (permalink)
You're my prince... =)
Games

I'm not being picky whatsoever. I'm applying -everywhere-. Just... nothing. qq

04-25-2012   #10 (permalink)
I set fire to the rain
Games
Dragon NestLuniaValkyrie SkyDungeon Fighter Online

1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold
IGN: Erliana
Class: Spirit Dancer lt_blader
Level: 70
Guild: Excallibur

Same goes to me.. Been applying since last February, nothing....
NOTHING.

I can see why though, I have 0 experience.
It's like a plague.. Once you told them that you have no experience, goodbye sir.

My freaking college on the other hand replaced our Internship program with FINAL PROJECTS. ****ing hell.

04-25-2012   #11 (permalink)
[夢]
Special
Games

I've been looking for a job too, but haven't put that much effort in yet. -.- Luckily I have a friend that is somewhat a manager at a movie theatre so connections ;D and I've also been taking part in the volunteer program 'Let's Talk Science' and I plan to volunteer at hospitals this summer too. If you can't find a paying job, do some volunteer work and try again!

04-26-2012   #12 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule Fighter

ForTheCity is a jewel in the roughForTheCity is a jewel in the roughForTheCity is a jewel in the rough

Well I think resumes help you because you basically need basic experience to get a job. While you're looking for a job you should be volunteering since it counts as experience. I know its not fun but some people have it harder than others.

Also you can always look at construction work if you're big enough. I know my friend didn't really have work experience after he graduated, worked a little at target but got a construction job.

Don't forget to call in if you don't hear from them as a follow up.

05-01-2012   #13 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlinePangya9DragonsDream of Mirror Online
Awards Facebook Fan

Rhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to Rhinehart Send a message via AIM to Rhinehart Send a message via MSN to Rhinehart Send a message via Yahoo to Rhinehart
Xfire: rhinehart

Temp/employment agencies. You don't have to go it alone.