Aika Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
03-08-2012   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlinePangya9DragonsDream of Mirror Online
Awards Facebook Fan

Rhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to Rhinehart Send a message via AIM to Rhinehart Send a message via MSN to Rhinehart Send a message via Yahoo to Rhinehart
Xfire: rhinehart
Default Bully

This might sound like it's in the wrong section, but bullying is a part of life and relationships, so I posted it here, in case anyone wants to share some experience stories or opinions. Though this article is about a documentary film, it's just as much about the issue itself.

I remember an episode of an anime I was watching once, Shigofumi (you can watch it on IMDB there), and there was an episode (I don't remember which one) where a student was being bullied so badly, he wound up jumping off the roof of the school. The bullies then found another victim who, at the end of the episode, killed the bullies. The whole episode, I thought, very accurately portrayed bullying, having suffered through it for most of my own life, and was difficult for me to watch, for the same reason.

Bully (2011) - IMDb

Now there's a documentary coming out about bullying called Bully. And the MPAA has given it an R rating. Needless to say, I find this counterproductive. Bullying is at its worst before you turn 18, so for kids to not be able to go see this movie in theatres or in the classroom really, really disturbs me. As gruesome as bullying can be, it's important for everybody to be made aware of this, especially kids. 'Cuz when you're bullied, you usually don't report the incidents to anyone. Not if you don't want it to get any worse. I haven't seen this movie, but I know what it's trying to accomplish and the MPAA isn't helping. I'm going to sign the teen's petition to change the rating. I urge you to do the same.

"Bully" Director Lee Hirsch: "I Didn't Think I Was Making a R-Rated Film" - The Moveable Fest
'Bully' controversy: Student urges MPAA to change documentary's R rating - CNN.com
Petition (last link in the article): Teenager petitions to change R rating for 'Bully' - CBS News

Trailer:

Behind these spoiler tags is what I wrote in as my "Reason for signing" the petition. Reading it's optional, but I strongly recommend you do.
Spoiler!

Last edited by Rhinehart; 03-23-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
03-19-2012   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Rhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to Rhinehart Send a message via AIM to Rhinehart Send a message via MSN to Rhinehart Send a message via Yahoo to Rhinehart

The petition has reached over 430,000 signitures so far. Let's see if we can hit that 500,000 mark.

Quote:
"Certain movies will never get an R no matter what's in them. That's the problem when the ones policing the system have an economic incentive to give films a certain rating," Isett said.

A full-fledged movement to overhaul the rating system hasn't coalesced. But the chorus is growing louder. More than 300,000 people, including Meryl Streep and Johnny Depp, have signed an online petition protesting the "Bully" rating.
Read more here: 'The Hunger Games,' 'Bully' prompt MPAA ratings fight - KansasCity.com

Eff the Em Pee Ay Ay.

Last edited by Rhinehart; 03-19-2012 at 12:43 PM.

03-23-2012   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Richeyz1337 is on a distinguished road

I signed the petition

I've been bullied from 3rd grade to 10th grade...

7 YEARS

I said stop, didn't work

I went to teachers, and upper authorities. No help.

I've gone to extremes,

Fighting back made me an accused for being a bully

Ignoring it, I got a blow to the back of the head. Out for an hour

Verbal Fighting, I got ISS for making fun of his mother

I made suicide threats

I made bomb threats

I did everything I could think of...

and then it hit me...

make friends with him/her...

and it worked...

Sure, people still hate me every now and then. But I accept it as praise.

People only bring you down because they know you're above them.

Dan Gates was one of my worst bullies. At the time he came, I loved wearing long zip-up hoodies, the one I had at the time was deep black. He called me "Emo Kid" and because of him I made a bomb threat.

He is now one of my friends, though I don't talk to him much I still bother to say "Hi"

Sometimes you can't make friends with the bully, accept that. But never, EVER, try to take the law in your own hands.

I'm in 12th grade. I still feel that pressure, of people hating me for who I am, but I make sure I stand out. I make myself proud of who I am.

Anyone can see me from miles away. I'm the one wearing the bright, neon green, "highliter" hoodie with black lining.

If I see this movie, I will make sure to round up all my little friends and take them to see the movie with me. If not, I'll risk it and post it on YouTube pirated.

no one should ever be bullied

03-23-2012   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

I'd been bullied since the day I entered preschool (probably) to the day I dropped out of high school. My experience was likely a lot like your's and it always got worse whenever someone, who meant well, had me fill out an incident report.

To me, school was like prison without the rape. Educationally, there was nothing for me there since halfway through middle school 'cuz they kept putting me in lower tier classes instead of trying to figure out why I never bothered doing any of the work. So my classes kept getting further and further below my ability to the point where I felt like the school was insulting my intelligence.

Having not gotten any respect from any front, I dropped out in tenth grade and the school never so much as called my house ONCE to confirm my absences as they're legally obligated to because apparently they just really didn't give a shit.

I don't want anyone else to have to go through things like that and I think the movie Bully would really help with that. It's very offensive subject material, but guess what. It's real life.

04-09-2012   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Well, I got an email regarding the success of the petition to change the rating of the film "Bully" to PG-13. Last time I saw the trailer on TV, it said the movie was unrated and by the time it's released, it'll be rated PG-13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my email
Jesse -

I have some amazing news to share.

Last month, I saw the new documentary, Bully, which reveals the raw and honest reality behind bullying in high schools and middle schools. I cried when I watched the movie because I was horribly bullied in middle school. That’s why I was shocked to find out that other young people like me might not be able to see the movie because the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) gave it an “R” rating.

Outraged, I started a petition on Change.org asking the MPAA to change the rating to PG-13. After more than half a million people signed -- including you! -- the MPAA agreed. When Bully is released on April 13, it will be rated PG-13, and the most controversial scene in the film will remain unchanged, reflecting the reality and brutality of bullying.

This happened because people like you -- 500,000 strong -- came together to say that we think the issue of bullying in schools is important, and if this movie can help, then kids should be able to see it. We were even joined by people like Ellen DeGeneres, Meryl Streep, Johnny Depp, Michael Jordan, Drew Brees, Justin Bieber, and 35 members of Congress. My petition was covered by almost every major TV station and newspaper in America.

When I was bullied, I felt alone. But today I feel the power of half a million people standing beside me. Thank you so much.

- Katy
This comes on the heels of an incredibly stupid thing I saw a parent do on Easter Sunday. Terrible Mother lets Problem Child eat a bunch of candy all morning. Terrible Mother complains that Problem Child is unruly at lunch. Terrible Mother threatens to spank Problem Child and after no progress is made in her son's behavior, Terrible Mother asks another kid to hold Problem Child's Easter basket and not let him have it.

...I'm just going to pause dramatically here so you can absorb that because, frankly, I couldn't effing believe she just did what I saw her do.

3, 2, 1...that's about as long as it took Problem Child to walk to the other kid and scratch him, demanding his Easter basket back. And as if that wasn't frustrating enough, the other kid's mother just says "Boys will be boys".

This kept me up last night because both parents were just so frickin' stupid. And it's a textbook example of why bullying happens.