ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > MMO Games > League of Legends (LoL)

Zero Online
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Zero Online

Rating:  

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
04-15-2010   #21 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

HoN is pretty much DotA 2.0. LoL is an AoS. If they wanted it to be like DotA, they wouldn't have added so many changes.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
04-15-2010   #22 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games
All Point Bulletin (APB)GunboundTwelve Sky 2Grand Fantasia

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Henreh
Class: Bro lt_warlord
Level: 21

A AoS without the triangle layout? Wut.

04-15-2010   #23 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

If you're talking about the map being a square cut diagonally to form two triangles dividing the factions, it's not a requirement to be an AoS.

04-15-2010   #24 (permalink)
Discuss.
Games
League of LegendsAionAlliance of Valiant ArmsBloodline Champions
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM Award

Xpecial has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to Xpecial
IGN: Xpec
Class: Dainn lu_dainn
Level: -
Guild: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector
Too bad this game can never be competitive, considering it's just an EM-DotA.
Excuse me? I played DotA for quite a while and while I agree that LoL is easier than DotA, it's different. The EM mode in DotA was made for who knows what reason, but all it does is benefit heroes that use/need huge amounts of gold. LoL, on the other hand, is completely different from DotA in all but map layout. Champions, items, skills, strategies and layout are among the many different aspects of the game.

If you are an advocate for HoN, all I will say are two words: DotA clone. I see VERY little differences between HoN and DotA compared to the amount of differences between LoL and DotA. The US DotA community is minuscule compared to asian/european DotA communities and when you have two games that are virtually the same in all but name, eventually one will overtake the other.

As for your comment that the game will never be competitive, I find that laughable and that you have not done your homework. There is currently a Twisted Treeline tournament that had just finished registration (Twisted Treeline is a 3v3 map, with its own set of strategies and layout which are drastically different from DotA). The tournament is sponsored by Razor and reached 70 teams in just a few hours. Personally, by the time I got home from school, every slot was already full, which means that there were MANY more people wanting to join, myself included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henreh
You're kind of right. People who spend time and money on this game will have advantages while in HoN it's pure skill. The lack of denies in this game has me dumbfounded. That's probably the only anti-dota close I see in this game. I also don't like the animation it looks too...childish compared to HoN.
There is nothing anyone has over me (and most everyone who plays just a few games each day for a few weeks) in terms of runes/spells/items/whatever other than the different skins for a champion.

After playing LoL, what completely dumbfounds me is the unnecessarily complex item structure in DotA and HoN. I understand that there are limitations on what the WC3 engine can do, but when you make a standalone game and still keep something so idiotic, I can't help but feel that HoN just copy + pasted DotA. What this meant is that even a person who has never played DotA could pick up LoL and easily figure out what items are available without the huge confusion that is DotA's recipe/multiple shop npc system.

As for the thing with denies, I too was hugely turned off at first, but just in the first few games of LoL, I was persuaded. Denies truly prolong the laning experience and allows players to focus more on destroying creeps than each other. In the first 10-15 minutes of most DotA games, both sides are focused on raising CS and with a few ganks here and there. But because you are unable to deny in LoL, one side will undoubtedly start pushing towards the other tower and subsequently makes it much easier for ganks to occur.
As for the graphics, that's preference.

04-15-2010   #25 (permalink)
Booger face
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterDragon NestVindictusLeague of Legends

Seim is a splendid one to beholdSeim is a splendid one to beholdSeim is a splendid one to beholdSeim is a splendid one to beholdSeim is a splendid one to beholdSeim is a splendid one to behold

Comparing LoL to DOTA and HoN is ridiculous indeed.

Gameplay is very different although maybe some ganking knowledge can be shared between the two games.
my noobie art :>
http://carrotlegs.deviantart.com/

04-15-2010   #26 (permalink)
Discuss.
Games
League of LegendsAionAlliance of Valiant ArmsBloodline Champions
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM Award

Xpecial has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to Xpecial
IGN: Xpec
Class: Dainn lu_dainn
Level: -
Guild: -

The gameplay between DotA, HoN and LoL is similar, but they all have different features. But saying LoL is just EM-DotA is false, which was one of my points in my previous post.

Of course, any general knowledge that you gained beforehand is beneficial through all 3 of the games, which is true for almost all games of the same genre.

04-16-2010   #27 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Ghoststaker is on a distinguished road
IGN: Ghoststaker / WrenchFist
Class: Warrior / Engistar
Level: 55 / 14x
Guild: RhoAias

IGN: Ghoststaker

Level 30 summoner at the moment =D

Well in my personal opinion i think LoL is actually more fun than either HoN or DotA cause of one thing. The Barracks (Inhibitor in LoL) respawns! I think this feature actually gives players a chance.. no matter how small to actually turn a losing game around.

In DotA if your rax is down, u can kiss that lane goodbye.

And runes actually make very little difference unless you jungle a lot (Warwick / Udyr). Their there to give u that extra little edge against other players, plus you can only buy runes using IP, which is gained through playing a lot. So the game rewards you for spending your time playing.

O and LoL towers actually do something... Play HoN / DotA and see how much tower diving you see.

04-16-2010   #28 (permalink)
Italian Lesbian Lolicon
Games
Metal Assault

Amanda is just really niceAmanda is just really niceAmanda is just really niceAmanda is just really niceAmanda is just really nice
IGN: Lucchinii
Class: Loli;Swordsmith
Level: 12;2x

I've found myself tower diving a lot in HoN.
In LoL I barely ever do that because I'm scared of getting wtf-owned by the turrets.

04-16-2010   #29 (permalink)
Booger face
Games

Seim is a splendid one to beholdSeim is a splendid one to beholdSeim is a splendid one to beholdSeim is a splendid one to beholdSeim is a splendid one to beholdSeim is a splendid one to behold

the fact that most ganks happen and end in 2 seconds in LoL makes you question what part of the game is similar to HoN and DOTA.

In DOTA and HoN, one mistake rarely insta kills you. Even team fights in LoL end in like 3 seconds.

-No Deny.
-Towers auto targets.
-Minion auto targets.
-Jungling effectiveness and purposes.
-Baron/Roshan effects and solobility (ursa can solo roshan at around lvl 7 but no LoL character can solo baron until farmed effectively). -Bushes change ganking styles alot.
-Dota/HoN is more emphasized on stuns, for LoL it's slows.
-Map is MUCH smaller in LoL
-Most pro's choose flash in LoL making every character having a free kelen's dagger of escape (there are exceptions to some heroes in LoL like Shaco)
-In LoL you get free scroll of teleportations to recall and buy things.
-Items like chicken or empty bottles are pretty game changing options in early play games and LoL lacks that. However, LoL provides elixers which makes up for this in another way. FFS YOU CANT EAT TREES IN LOL?!
-No secret shop in LoL
-Item builds are very limited in LoL
-skills that lets you tp to any part of the map is broken. LoL is encouraging backdooring because of this.( Yi, Teemo, TF, Jax, nidalee, pantheon are common backdoorers)

Tell me reasons that Dota/HoN has more similarities than LoL. I will enjoy this. Gameplay is VERY different.

btw, runes do make a BIG difference. A crit dmg bonus set of runes on a shaco player turns a 200 crit into a OMFG-wtf-did-u-just-do-to-me crit.
A hp regen/mp regen set of runes on any viable tank turns it so much harder to kill/harrass.
a set of armor pen runes on any dps carry makes their hits destroy you. Esp early game.
a set of magic pen runes on any mage burst character makes it so much easier to kill. Annie/Fiddle/Ryze gets free kills with flash/ignite at lvl 6 anyways though.
Hp makes a huge difference on most character.

Last edited by Seim; 04-16-2010 at 11:49 PM.

05-01-2010   #30 (permalink)
.png
Games
World of WarcraftLa TaleLuniaElsword
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorFacebook Fan

HolyAbyssal is a splendid one to beholdHolyAbyssal is a splendid one to beholdHolyAbyssal is a splendid one to beholdHolyAbyssal is a splendid one to beholdHolyAbyssal is a splendid one to beholdHolyAbyssal is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to HolyAbyssal Send a message via Skype™ to HolyAbyssal
IGN: HolyAbyssal
Class: indecisive
Guild: We Sit on Staves

I'm playing, and I love the gameplay.

IGN : Leeke

05-01-2010   #31 (permalink)
You're my prince... =)
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineLeague of LegendsLuniaTrickster Online

Yumidesu has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to Yumidesu Send a message via AIM to Yumidesu Send a message via MSN to Yumidesu Send a message via Yahoo to Yumidesu Send a message via Skype™ to Yumidesu
IGN: Amiez
Level: Bronze League
Guild: Titans
Xfire: pandaamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda
I've found myself tower diving a lot in HoN.
In LoL I barely ever do that because I'm scared of getting wtf-owned by the turrets.
Because you tower-dive way too early?

I have played nearly 1,200 games of LoL. I'm probably nothing like X, but oh well. :P

Towers are incredibly weak in LoL. Once you get to the point where you can take 5+ tower shots and still survive as a carry, then they need a buff. >_>

Edit: Incase anyone cares to play with me: AmyOverlord

05-02-2010   #32 (permalink)
Booger face
Games

Towers do seemingly get more and more useless around lvl 8+ :< alot of team ganks start from there. </3 Alistar.....really hate a good Alistar...

But hey! at least the towers are stronger than the ones in HoN! =)

05-02-2010   #33 (permalink)
Italian Lesbian Lolicon
Games
Metal Assault

Amanda is just really niceAmanda is just really niceAmanda is just really niceAmanda is just really niceAmanda is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiez
Because you tower-dive way too early?

I have played nearly 1,200 games of LoL. I'm probably nothing like X, but oh well. :P

Towers are incredibly weak in LoL. Once you get to the point where you can take 5+ tower shots and still survive as a carry, then they need a buff. >_>

Edit: Incase anyone cares to play with me: AmyOverlord
I normally play squishies, so I can't really tower dive much unless i've got someone to help me.

Also, I bought Garen.
I want my IP back.

Even a Ryze in Low ELO takes more skill than Garen.

He's not fun

05-02-2010   #34 (permalink)
.png
Games
World of WarcraftLa TaleLuniaElsword
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorFacebook Fan

HolyAbyssal is a splendid one to beholdHolyAbyssal is a splendid one to beholdHolyAbyssal is a splendid one to beholdHolyAbyssal is a splendid one to beholdHolyAbyssal is a splendid one to beholdHolyAbyssal is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to HolyAbyssal Send a message via Skype™ to HolyAbyssal
IGN: HolyAbyssal
Class: indecisive
Guild: We Sit on Staves

Ashe is awesomefunhax.
Worth the little IP for her, and she can be played well or bad.

05-02-2010   #35 (permalink)
Italian Lesbian Lolicon
Games
Metal Assault

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAbyssal
Ashe is awesomefunhax.
Worth the little IP for her, and she can be played well or bad.
She's 100x more fun than Garen that's for sure.

05-02-2010   #36 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineLeague of LegendsPangyaTrickster Online
Awards Facebook Fan

Nanayat is just really niceNanayat is just really niceNanayat is just really niceNanayat is just really niceNanayat is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Nanayat
Guild: RedEclipse/World's End

I like playing Garen =x
Although, my main's still Tryndamere, and thats definetly not stopping anytime soon <_<

05-02-2010   #37 (permalink)
Italian Lesbian Lolicon
Games
Metal Assault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanayat
I like playing Garen =x
Although, my main's still Tryndamere, and thats definetly not stopping anytime soon <_<
I would play him more often but he kind of needs a buff big time.
That and sometimes I feel weird when I play tryn and my team makes me lane with our Garen. Spin moar

05-02-2010   #38 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Nanayat is just really niceNanayat is just really niceNanayat is just really niceNanayat is just really niceNanayat is just really nice

Garen's so..... squishy? He barely hits 2k hp on level 18, and I love duel lane spinning, its fun, and Tryn buff was ftw, 40 seconds off undying rage.

05-02-2010   #39 (permalink)
You're my prince... =)
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineLeague of LegendsLuniaTrickster Online

Yumidesu has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to Yumidesu Send a message via AIM to Yumidesu Send a message via MSN to Yumidesu Send a message via Yahoo to Yumidesu Send a message via Skype™ to Yumidesu
IGN: Amiez
Level: Bronze League
Guild: Titans
Xfire: pandaamy

Faildamere. Nothing like Windamere, which is how he used to be before he got a faceplant nerf. :|

Garen pretty much takes no skill and is boring, though. And I hate how easy Ashe is. z.z

05-02-2010   #40 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

I only started when Shen just came out, so I haven't seen Tryn when he was uber, but heard he was auto win basically, and they need to fix that Garen bug, 5 second silence is way to much <_<