ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > MMO Games > League of Legends (LoL)

Vindictus
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Vindictus

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
06-03-2013   #1 (permalink)
~custom user title~
Special
Games
Asda StoryDragon SagaEmil Chronicle OnlineLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Queen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Queen Send a message via Skype™ to Queen
IGN: Evalyn Fior
Class: DRK/WAR
Guild: Excalibooty
Default Recommendations

Looking for top/ADC recommendations. I've played a lot of support (Sona + Janna), and at this point it's my go-to role, however when I solo que (I typically play with anywhere from 1-4 level 30 friends), team comps often go out the window (that one match against 4 ADCs), or support is filled by someone else. I've played mid most often besides support (Diana/Annie), however when it falls on me to be the last to pick and we're lacking a top or ADC, I'm at a loss. I'm willing to throw some money at it to ensure I always play champions I'm familiar with or newby friendly.

Basically, looking for a top and ADC which are fairly easy to get the hang of. I've been told MF is a pretty user-friendly ADC, but still open to recommendations.

FFXIV NA Excalibur Evalyn Fior, DRK/WAR/MNK/LTW

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-03-2013   #2 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

james has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond repute

Caitlyn is pretty fotm especially if you're on blue side since you and your support can take the mini golems and (ideally) start out with a slight level advantage. (But they're changing this anyways so no worries.)

Ezreal's pretty fotm too. He's a little higher skill-cap than other carries since a lot of his damage comes from his Q, which is a skillshot. But he's not as bad as Kog'Maw in terms of difficulty, especially since he has more range and a natural escape.

I've heard Varus has moved into fotm after being "that carry nobody cared about" for the longest time. Cons: no escape either. Pros: pretty good poke and has some hard cc.

Just some carries that popped to the top of my head.

06-03-2013   #3 (permalink)
LIFETIME TRADER
Games
Aika OnlineAlliance of Valiant ArmsAsda StoryArchlord
Awards Event WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

Nihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Nihil679
IGN: Nihiru

For learning AD carries, it's hard to deny that Ashe would be the best way to learn. If you can grasp a mastery for her, you will effectively achieved mastery for every AD carry because she is highly dependent on having good positioning that is vital to playing AD carry. She has little skills and, even with her scouting ability, requires map awareness, especially for her ultimate to make sure you shoot surefire stuns when you are far from a fight to help your team. However, she does suffer from not being a top-tier pick and with League's current favorite champions, is difficult to play with simply because positioning means nothing when people just jump on your face and you instantly die.

As far as "pick up and win" AD carries go, Miss Fortune does work, as does Caitlyn and Graves. All three require very little detailed mechanics other than making sure you rightclick and use skills properly and are still high picks in the current meta. Caitlyn and Graves in particular have dash abilities to counter bad positioning.

For top laners, there is no such thing as a learner's champion because top lane is retarded.
Safe picks are most likely still Renekton, Elise, Darius, Riven, Rumble, Shen, Singed, Udyr, Vladimir, and Zed. Most of them have some kind of difficulty to play with.
opinion Difficult Easiest -> Hardest:
Shen > Vladimir > Darius > Renekton > Singed > Riven > Elise > Rumble

Honestly, the only way to go about top lane is either you pick one bruiser or tank that you find yourself playing well with and play them or learn all of League and counterpick their top lane. Try out whatever is on free week in bot games or something.

06-03-2013   #4 (permalink)
Belay that order!
Games
ElswordGrand ChaseTrickster OnlineMabinogi
Awards Event WinnerLucky StreakPervert Award

Veloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant future

You couldn't go wrong with picking MF. She has a strong laning phase thanks to her damage and a real good ult.
Cait and Graves are also good choices. Cait is one of the safest to play thanks to her range and zoning capabilities, and Graves deals pretty good damage for having some of the simplest skillshots. Both also have gapclosers which help for escaping and going in for a kill.
Play some Ezreal after getting the hang of any of them.

For learning top I'd recommend Garen, Renekton, Singed, Shen, and Malphite. They're annoying and tanky champs that are easy to play and get used to. Even if you get "countered" you'd still be able to get in their faces and bruise them.

Other strong top champs are Jayce, Zed, Irelia, Rumble, and Elise, but you actually need some top lane experience in order to play them properly.

06-03-2013   #5 (permalink)
~custom user title~
Special
Games
Asda StoryDragon SagaEmil Chronicle OnlineLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Queen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Queen Send a message via Skype™ to Queen
IGN: Evalyn Fior
Class: DRK/WAR
Guild: Excalibooty

Alright, thanks. I just hated queueing by myself and then I have to top or something and I have no idea where to even start as far as options go. A friend of mine also recommended Renekton. Laning is my weak point as of now, just because I spent so much time supporting with my friends. Or I'd get into a solo queue, and they all pick something squishy, leaving me to fill in the gap with something tanky, and I have nothing tanky/have little to not experience with what's free.

Gonna note I save all my IP save for really cheap champions, and work enough to charge here and there, and only buy champions when I've seen friends play with them (ie, Diana. Looked really fun playing with my friend, got her and she's as of now my favorite mid, Annie is a nice fallback when I want burst). Could've been more clear on how I obtain champions.

I'll wait for the next free set, maybe pick up something cheap and when I que with friends be sure to lane and get out of my comfort zone.

FFXIV NA Excalibur Evalyn Fior, DRK/WAR/MNK/LTW

06-03-2013   #6 (permalink)
LIFETIME TRADER
Games
Aika OnlineAlliance of Valiant ArmsAsda StoryArchlord
Awards Event WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

Nihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Nihil679
IGN: Nihiru

Should note one thing about top lane
play as if the other top laner is ****ing awful. Like you will just ****ing shit on them. Except they have InSec as a jungler so ward like there's always an InSec there.
Top is less about learning your role and more of a mindset. All you do as a top laner is pull the enemy jungler's attention so your other lanes get free farm (assuming they don't suck) and knock the enemy top lane off the map so they aren't useful. Ever.

Pretty sure the cheapest top laner is Garen. Warwick is also a top laner but I haven't seen him top since s2. Still thinks he'll shit on people even with all the AS nerfs in s3, especially with more itemization and new Wit's End still in PBE.
Next tier cost would be Cho'Gath, Jax, Singed, Tryndamere, Udyr. Cho'Gath doesn't do anything top until a certain point where no one can deal with him, and that's assuming you get past his shitty level 1-3 against most popular top laners. People say Tryndamere sucks but he's a stupid ass pubstomper still. Udyr shits on almost any melee top laner, though nerf to Turtle Stance makes him less so, haven't played him since.

06-03-2013   #7 (permalink)
Bleughhh
Games
Grand ChaseElswordLeague of LegendsEden Eternal

Kenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant future
IGN: Kenzor

Tristana, Graves and Caitlyn are pretty good AD carries for starting out with, Tristana only costs 1.3k.

I don't really play top laners but when I do get put in that role, I can always rely on my Cho'Gath to do the job, as long as you can last hit well and play safe the early levels you will be able to sustain in lane forever with his passive, and at Lvl 6 his burst is really scary if you're able to hit skillshots. He's a very good champ for disrupting the crap out of enemy teams and very good for peeling for your squishy mates.

06-03-2013   #8 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
DofusWorld of WarcraftSword 2Soul Master
Awards Facebook Fan

kuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to kuyaBaka Send a message via Skype™ to kuyaBaka
IGN: Euler Breslau
Class: SMN-main, AST.
Level: i200 SMN
Guild: Get Some LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzor
Tristana, Graves and Caitlyn are pretty good AD carries for starting out with, Tristana only costs 1.3k.

I don't really play top laners but when I do get put in that role, I can always rely on my Cho'Gath to do the job, as long as you can last hit well and play safe the early levels you will be able to sustain in lane forever with his passive, and at Lvl 6 his burst is really scary if you're able to hit skillshots. He's a very good champ for disrupting the crap out of enemy teams and very good for peeling for your squishy mates.
Can't you still get Tristana for free (with skin) by liking their Facebook page?

Also, I second this Cho'gath.
The only other time I've top laned was in s1 as a Swain. I picked it up again maybe a month or two ago with Cho'gath and it's just so much fun. And easy, too, if you're a careful passive player (at least for the first 6-7 levels). After a while you'll just naturally gain more and more health if you're good about using your ult on CD. Then you'll eventually get to the point where nothing can stop you (aside from other enemy lanes getting fed).

06-03-2013   #9 (permalink)
Bleughhh
Games
Grand ChaseElswordLeague of LegendsEden Eternal

Kenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant future
IGN: Kenzor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyaBaka
Can't you still get Tristana for free (with skin) by liking their Facebook page?

Also, I second this Cho'gath.
The only other time I've top laned was in s1 as a Swain. I picked it up again maybe a month or two ago with Cho'gath and it's just so much fun. And easy, too, if you're a careful passive player (at least for the first 6-7 levels). After a while you'll just naturally gain more and more health if you're good about using your ult on CD. Then you'll eventually get to the point where nothing can stop you (aside from other enemy lanes getting fed).
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Facebook thing yeah you probably can.