ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   League of Legends (LoL) (http://ggftw.com/forum/league-legends-lol/)
-   -   Skin RP price changes - New Pricing Tiers, Tier guidelines, and 79 skins decreasing & (http://ggftw.com/forum/league-legends-lol/121436-skin-rp-price-changes-new-pricing-tiers-tier-guidelines-79-skins-decreasing.html)

Mega 04-11-2013 12:36 PM

Skin RP price changes - New Pricing Tiers, Tier guidelines, and 79 skins decreasing &

Surrender at 20: Skin RP price changes - New Pricing Tiers, Tier guidelines, and 79 skins decreasing & 18 skins increasing in price.

Ummm WHAT????

Quote:

Continue reading for the full announcement including a new set of skin prices, a new 750 RP pricing tier, a run down of what to expect from each pricing tier, and a list of 79 skins that are decreasing in price and 18 skins that are moving up in price.

Here is Hippalus with the full announcement:

Hey folks - Hippalus here with a couple big updates to skin prices designed to give players more value for their skin purchases and better align skin pricing with the amount of work that went into them.

As you've probably noticed, the quality of champion skins has increased dramatically since we started creating them way back in the day. This upward trend in quality is something that we're always looking to advance while continuing to provide good value and affordable prices to players. With that in mind, we felt it was time to revisit RP skin pricing and come up with improvements for 2013 and beyond.

975 RP has become an extremely broad tier, encompassing skins of wildly differing production quality. We wanted to better define the value of your purchase, and will soon implement a couple of big pricing changes as we move skins into more clearly defined RP tiers and establish two new tiers at 750 and 1350 RP. By positioning skins into tiers based on their features, you'll have a better idea of what you're getting for your RP and be able to make more informed purchase decisions.

Here's a breakdown of the new skin prices with what features you can expect for each skin:

390/520 RP skins
  • These are outdated tiers used for skins that only featured texture changes, a new splash image, and at times slight model changes.
  • 36 skins in the store at the 975 RP tier will have their prices lowered to 520 RP
  • No new skins will be created for these tiers, but existing skins in the store are eligible to be put on sale.
  • Example: Loch Ness Cho'Gath, Aviator Irelia

750 RP – New tier
  • Skins in the new 750 RP tier feature new texture and model work as well as a new splash image; and some skins in this tier will feature new animations.
  • 40 skins from the current 975 RP tier will have their prices lowered to 750 RP
  • We expect that 10-20% of skins in 2013 will be released at 750 RP, and they will be eligible to be put on sale.
  • Examples: Little Knight Amumu, Explorer Ezreal

975 RP
  • 975 RP skins feature a new model, textures and splash image; some skins in this tier will feature new animations, visual effects and sounds where appropriate for the theme of the skin.
  • We expect that 50-75% of skins released in 2013 will be 975 RP, and they are eligible to be put on sale.
  • Examples: Haunted Maokai, Jade Dragon Wukong

1350 RP
  • Skins in the 1350 RP tier will feature a new model, textures, splash image, visual effects and sounds. In some cases, these skins will also have processed voice overs.
  • This tier is intended for skins that go above and beyond the quality of 975 RP skins but don't quite reach legendary status.
  • 3 skins from the current 1820 Legendary tier will have their prices lowered to 1350 RP
  • 18 skins from the current 975 RP tier will be moved to the 1350 RP tier
  • We expect that 7-15% of skins released in 2013 will be 1350 RP, and they are eligible to be put on sale
  • Examples: Blackthorn Morgana, Arcade Sona

1820 RP – Legendary skins
  • A legendary skin completely changes the look and feel of a champion.
  • These skins feature a new model, textures and splash image as well as completely new animations, visuals, voice over and sounds.
  • We expect that 6-10% of skins released in 2013 will be Legendaries, and they will not be put on sale.
  • Examples: Battlecast Prime Cho'Gath, Brolaf

3250 RP – Ultimate skins
  • An ultimate skin is a complete reimagining of a champion that includes an evolving model and additional features and bonuses, such as summoner icons.
  • 3250 RP skins feature a new model that evolves into different forms, textures, splash image, animations, visuals, voice over and sounds, as well as additional content.
  • We expect that 2-4% of skins released in 2013 will be Ultimates. They may have initial promotions or discounts, but will not be put on sale.
  • Examples: Pulsefire Ezreal

The price changes will all go into effect at 9am PST on April 25, so there is plenty of time to plan any purchases of skins that are impacted. Partial refunds will be automatically granted for all past purchases of the three legendary skins (Astronaut Teemo, Lion Dance Kog'Maw, and Piltover Customs Blitzcrank) that are decreasing in price, as that is a price-protected skin tier. No other refunds will be granted in relation to these changes.

That's it for now! All of the skins that will be changing in price are listed below. Let us know your thoughts in the comments - we'll do our best to address your questions.

36 Skins moving from 975 to 520:
  • Emumu Amumu
  • Prom Queen Annie
  • Boom Boom Blitzcrank
  • Desperada Cassiopeia
  • Siren Cassiopeia
  • Loch Ness Cho’Gath
  • Executioner Dr. Mundo
  • Tango Evelynn
  • Bandito Fiddlesticks
  • Royal Guard Fiora
  • Atlantean Fizz
  • Commando Galio
  • Commando Garen
  • Aviator Irelia
  • Pre-Void Kassadin
  • Commando Lux
  • Djinn Malzahar
  • Pharaoh Nasus
  • Pharaoh Nidalee
  • Gothic Orianna
  • Battle Regalia Poppy
  • Outback Renekton
  • Crimson Elite Riven
  • Mad Hatter Shaco
  • Boneclaw Shyvana
  • Hextech Singed
  • Earthrune Skarner
  • Bilgewater Swain
  • King Tryndamere
  • Tango Twisted Fate
  • Vindicator Vayne
  • Prototype Viktor
  • Marquis Vladimir
  • Thunder Lord Volibear
  • Undertaker Yorick
  • Groovy Zilean

40 skins moving from 975 to 750:
  • Midnight Ahri
  • Little Knight Amumu
  • Hextech Anivia
  • Apocalyptic Brand
  • Arctic Warfare Caitlyn
  • Explorer Ezreal
  • Fiddle Me Timbers Fiddlesticks
  • Nightraven Fiora
  • Tundra Fizz
  • Dragon Slayer Jarvan
  • Temple Jax
  • Sailor Gangplank
  • Rugged Garen
  • Sun Goddess Karma
  • Pentakill Karthus
  • High Command Katarina
  • Wicked Leblanc
  • Acolyte Lee Sin
  • Defender Leona
  • Spellthief Lux
  • Coral Reef Malphite
  • Cowgirl Miss Fortune
  • Blade Mistress Morgana
  • Grungy Nunu
  • Perseus Pantheon
  • Chrome Rammus
  • Blood Moon Shen
  • Ironscale Shyvana
  • Mad Scientist Singed
  • Barbarian Sion
  • Bandit Sivir
  • Northern Front Swain
  • Crimson Elite Talon
  • Junkyard Trundle
  • Viking Tryndamere
  • Musketeer Twisted Fate
  • Greybeard Veigar
  • Northern Storm Volibear
  • General Wukong
  • Runeborn Xerath

3 Skins moving from 1820 to 1350:
  • Astronaut Teemo
  • Lion Dance Kog’Maw
  • Piltover Customs Blitzcrank

18 skins moving from 975 to 1350:

• Sad Robot Amumu
  • iBlitzcrank
  • Soul Reaver Draven
  • Surprise Party Fiddlesticks
  • Steel Legion Garen
  • Frostblade Irelia
  • Warring Kingdoms Jarvan IV
  • Full Metal Jayce
  • Glacial Malphite
  • Blackthorn Morgana
  • Astronaut Nautilus
  • Arcade Sona
  • Tyrant Swain
  • Battlecast Urgot
  • Scorched Earth Xerath
  • Warring Kingdoms Xin Zhao
  • Pool Party Ziggs
  • Wildfire Zyra

"

http://www.surrenderat20.net/2013/04...rices-and.html

Quote:

After yesterday's announcement, many summoners pointed out that back in the day Surprise Party Fiddlesticks was promised to stay at 975 RP.

Hippalus responded, apologizing for forgetting Riot's previous promise and announcing that Surprise Party Fiddlesticks will remain at 975 RP and will NOT be increased to 1350.
"Hey all,
So we made a mistake with Surprise Party Fiddlesticks where we didn’t take into account our previous promises – for that we apologize and we’ve decided not to increase the price of Surprise Party Fiddlesticks. He will remainpermanently (for real this time) on sale for 975 RP.
The rest of the changes will proceed as scheduled. Here are my thoughts:
  • These changes are about providing more transparency and fairness in how skins are priced, and doing so with sufficient notice to prepare.
  • As before, the majority of skins will be released at 975, and we will continue to push the envelope of quality at each tier.
  • This isn’t about making Riot more money. The 79 skin prices that are being lowered actually produce more sales than the 17 that are being increased.
  • There will be more 750 skins released this year than 1350 skins, including five very cool 750 skins before the end of June...

As with other eCommerce initiatives in the past several months (champion price changes, rune page sales, self service refunds, gifting, legacy skin sale), this change was intended to make things better for players, not worse. As always, we are open to constructive feedback!
-Hippalus"
Furthermore, Hippalus also clarified everyone who owns Astronaut Teemo, Lion Dance Kogmaw, and Piltover Customs Blitzcrank will be getting a 470 RP refund!
"The 3 Legendaries that are being reduced will have the difference refunded to all owners, since Legendary is a price protected skin tier."

Veloze 04-11-2013 12:44 PM

This is cool, even though I don't understand why skins like Frostblade Irelia and Warring Kingdoms J4 are going 1350 RP though. They really should just say at 975 RP.

Light 04-11-2013 12:51 PM

That's good to finally see.

I remember talking a while ago about how some skins shouldn't cost so damn much when they are just basic texture swaps, recolors, etc.

Although I still find some of them to be too expensive for what little they provide, such as Dragon Trainer Lulu which has nothing drastically different to warrant 1350 RP.
But to each their own I suppose, I still prefer my wicked lulu skin any day.

Kenzor 04-11-2013 02:17 PM

It's good that obvious culprits are having their prices reduced but I can't believe they're actually increasing prices on certain old skins.

Good thing I got Arcade Sona and Surprise Party Fiddle while they was 975.

+ lol @ Glacial Malphite becoming 1350.

iTaker 04-11-2013 02:20 PM

Eh can't please everyone xD

Rhois 04-11-2013 07:02 PM

Zyra's only skin is going to be 1350? At least give her another skin if they're going to do that.

Tardar 04-11-2013 07:57 PM

Some I agree with. Some I detest.

Mega 04-11-2013 10:19 PM

Surprise Party Fiddle and Skin Prices - League of Legends Community

Quote:

Hey all,

So we made a mistake with Surprise Party Fiddlesticks where we didn’t take into account our previous promises – for that we apologize and we’ve decided not to increase the price of Surprise Party Fiddlesticks. He will remain permanently (for real this time) on sale for 975 RP.

The rest of the changes will proceed as scheduled. Here are my thoughts:

• These changes are about providing more transparency and fairness in how skins are priced, and doing so with sufficient notice to prepare.
  • As before, the majority of skins will be released at 975, and we will continue to push the envelope of quality at each tier.
  • This isn’t about making Riot more money. The 79 skin prices that are being lowered actually produce more sales than the 17 that are being increased.
  • There will be more 750 skins released this year than 1350 skins, including five very cool 750 skins before the end of June...

As with other eCommerce initiatives in the past several months (champion price changes, rune page sales, self service refunds, gifting, legacy skin sale), this change was intended to make things better for players, not worse. As always, we are open to constructive feedback!

-Hippalus

Sunniiee 04-12-2013 01:27 AM

I don't see why anyone complained saying riot just wants more money when so many skins they are lowering the price on. They intended it to be something good for the players and people always have to be negative about it. I'm not saying everyone should agree with riot's choices; however, they don't deserve to be bashed when they're doing something good for the community (not directed towards this forum, but to the responses on theirs). Just thought I'd share.

Mega 04-12-2013 01:48 AM

I think it's more like "I want my money back for all those skins going down in price" and Riot saying only the Legendary skins price difference will be refunded.

Light 04-12-2013 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunniiee (Post 1812536)
I don't see why anyone complained saying riot just wants more money when so many skins they are lowering the price on. They intended it to be something good for the players and people always have to be negative about it. I'm not saying everyone should agree with riot's choices; however, they don't deserve to be bashed when they're doing something good for the community (not directed towards this forum, but to the responses on theirs). Just thought I'd share.

Because they're only kids, you can't expect much from snobby teens and many young immature adults.

Joy 04-15-2013 09:35 AM

This is very nice of RIOT indeed. Always thought some prices were unfair but I only have about 5 skins in total anyways.

Mega 04-17-2013 03:05 PM

More red posts about price changes.

Surrender at 20: More on Skin RP Price Changes and other tidbits

Quote:

Between all this Freljord and skin RP price change talk, not much is getting done on the ole' general forums. Good thing I'm here to wrap it all up for you or you might get overrun!
Continue reading for a wealth of forums posts including more discussion on the recent skin RP price changes, when the next ultimate tier skin will be out, and Morello briefly mentioning Sion's rework and a small idea for Leona.

Hippalus responds to skin RP price changes

The forums are still aflame with discussion about the recently announced skin rp price changes and Hippalus, Riot's eCommerce director, has stepped in to address a few issues.

He started off by rejecting the statement that Riot is just ignoring community feedback on the decision.
"Actually we're ok with players telling us when they don't like our prices (or anything else we do) and is helpful to understand when and why they're upset or annoyed. Just because the game is free doesn't give us a license to be ******bags with pricing."
Continuing on about the announcement in general, he said:
"The price changes were done so that we''ll have tiers for different levels of effort that go into skins, and I'm glad at least one person agrees they make sense. The 79 price reductions and 18 (now 17) increases were part of that and not some scheme to make more money. I've seen claims on here that Riot makes more money when we raise prices AND we make more money when we lower prices, so this plan is doubly evil. Who can argue with logic like that?"
When asked how each tier was decided upon, Hippalus commented:
"Finalizing which skin goes into which tier was the toughest aspect of this and we knew there was no solution that would make sense to everyone. The skins team put together a plan that combined the skin features with the amount of overall time and effort that went into the skin. Sales data wasn't used at all in choosing the tiers.
But it's not an exact science with clear break points, so that's why the descriptions have some overlap and use the word "some"."
Further discussing these new tiers and what to expect, he says:
"As the announcement shows, there will be roughly 5 times as many 975 skins created as any other tier in 2013. 1350s will be only 7-15% of new skins in 2013 and since there are already three on the list (iBlitz and the Warring Kingdom skins), there are not many more 1350s to come this year.
I'm confident players will be pleasantly surprised at the quality that comes out at 750 and 975 in the coming months, but I understand we have to prove it.'
A summoner then asked "Why did it take so long to start doing 1350 skins?", to which Hippalus responded and proposed a potential solution:
"The short answer is that we didn't want to charge 1350 for new skins without a longer term plan and structure. If we had, every 1350 skin would have been met with complaints that 1350 was the new 975. And we were focused on other areas (champion pricing, gifting, etc.) and OK with the reality that some of our skins were probably underpriced.

On a related note, we're considering the idea of launching 1350 skins on sale for 975 (or close to it) for a week after release. Would that make these changes better for you?"
He also responded to why Special Weapon Zac, which the community tends to label as just another recolor, is in the 975 tier.
"Per the skins team, Secret Weapon Zac has new animations, new VFX, new SFX and a custom recall, so he is solidly in the 975 tier. On top of that, Zac skins are much more complex to create than most champions because of his model design."
Furthermore, Hippalus had some good news for those waiting out for ( if I'm not mistaken ) Arcade Sona, Pool Party Ziggs, and Astronautilus - they will be going on sale at 487 despite their upcoming price increase!
"The three that were released in mid 2012 and have not yet been on sale will go on sale for 487 before the increase. And as always, if you bought them in the two weeks prior you will be eligible for a refund through Player Support."
As a general response to the forum outcry, Hippalus stated:
"Short term fallout I can handle. If weeks and months from now, players feel that they were lied to and this change has cost them money or forced them to pay more for the same content, it will have been a mistake. I am fairly confident that will not be the outcome, but if it is, we'll find a way to fix it.'
While we've heard murmurs of recolor skins ( that is just a color swap, no other features ) potentially making a comeback, we haven't actually heard much lately. Hippalus replied to a comment about them, saying:
"Cool new ways of making recolors available to players are being looked at, but there is not enough of a plan in place to know if it will ever be a reality."
Finally, and perhaps the most savory piece of information, Hippalus shared the time frame on the release of the next ultimate tier skin ( think Pulsefire Ezreal ! ) by simply saying:
"Month"
More Tidbits from Morello

In addition to his comments yesterday, Morello had a few more things to say about Sion's future rework.
"This is a very long post (and again, raises the engagement barrier) - I'll try to look over it. I did wanna make a quick post to explain, though.
It's hard because meeting current gameplay expectations would be hard to do, and what to do with him (do we make him an undead mage guy and remove the axe, or make him a Zombie Giant?) could go either way. Since we do care about some existing expectations when we relaunch a character, we can't just throw that piece of the puzzle out the window. It's possible that a relaunch could be shipped that does, but not without a robust cost/benefit analysis (to players) of that decision.

One thing to clear up quickly, though, is that "nothing" isn't an option on the table because we agree it's critically bad. The question is how to take such a schizophrenic gameplay pattern and such a one-dimensional character and make it into something great. We could recraft him into a different character favoring one or more elements - which (and how) is where the problem-solving is crunchy."
He also responded positively to a player request that Leona should be able to proc her own passive on MINIONS AND MONSTERS , a change that would allow her to jungle.
"Only on minions/monsters bothers me a lot less. Worth a discussion with the team at least (though, Leona's not exactly weak right now...)"
While this certainly isn't anything definitive, how would you feel about Jungle Leona?