ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > MMO Games > League of Legends (LoL)

League of Legends
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

League of Legends

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
07-10-2012   #1 (permalink)
8-bit
Games
LuniaVindictusS4 LeagueDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Mega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: MegaBoy740
Class: Support lt_mage
Level: 30
Guild: Prisma
Default STEALTH REWORK (details) HERE

Hi everyone,

I have news on our Twitch and Eve reworks, or what you’ve come to recognize as the infamous "stealth rework."

I know this has been a major pain for Twitch and especially Eve players for a long time – far too long. It’s also been tough to communicate with you guys on this particular subject due to some failed experiments and iterations that impacted its timeline. That’s been a bad experience for all of you, and we’re sorry for the long radio silence. We’ve learned a lot.

Why Twitch and Eve needed change

First, I want to provide context – this might be a repeat for some of you, but it’s really important to understand why we believe these changes are necessary:

Long-term stealth is a contentious mechanic. It’s really fun for the person using it to gank, but it absolutely blows for the player on the receiving end. Long-term stealth encourages hugging your tower all day long, with stealth detection such as Oracles or Vision Wards being the only viable counter-play option, which is a binary and boring mechanic. Not fun.

It’s also proven near-impossible to balance these mechanics. Long-term stealth isn’t effective against high level players, because they know how to counter it, so it’s never something we’d see in pro-level play. That runs contrary to our goals of increasing the diversity of champion picks. Today, we consistently see over 70% of champions picked in tournaments, but almost never these champions. This is better than it’s ever been in this genre but we’d like to see even more.

But stealth is cool!

All that said, there are some characteristics of long-term stealth we want to preserve. It’s satisfying for scouting and concealing map movement. It allows for some powerful counter-jungling opportunities. It can set the stage for some clutch late game moments.

So in order to deliver the fun of stealth while removing the toxic elements, we explored A LOT of ideas. And we explored them in great depth. You might remember some of the ideas we floated on the forums – ‘robot chicken’ scouting drone, footprints, and others. Those were only a few of the ideas we designed, prototyped, and ultimately decided weren’t good enough to get the job done.

Where we ended up

So, where did we end up? Twitch and Eve are both getting complete ability remakes. Eve is getting new abilities that include a reworked version of long-term stealth, with some similar mechanics to what we attempted a while ago. Twitch is getting shorter-term, tactical stealth and significant kit changes to improve his performance as both an assassin and AD carry.

Let’s talk about Eve in more detail first – because, let’s face it, she’s the most negatively impacted by her current state. For that, I’ll turn it over to Statikk, who’s working on finalizing Eve’s design.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evelynn ability remake overview

Like Morello said, Evelynn is keeping long-term stealth, making her the only champion currently in the game with such a mechanic. Evelynn’s entire concept – from design to theme to aesthetic – is built around the idea of stealth, and so it was important for us to find a way for persistent stealth to live in League of Legends via Eve.

The system we’ve chosen to implement for her new stealth mechanic is similar to what some of you might remember Xypherous talking about a while ago.

Eve’s new stealth

Eve’s passive is now Shadow Walk. From Level 1, Evelynn is stealthed, meaning she can only be seen by enemy champions within a relatively short range of her, or when she passes through true sight (e.g., Vision Wards). She becomes unstealthed whenever she enters combat and reenters stealth after a brief cooldown once out of combat.

That means Evelynn is still hard to pinpoint in terms of map position, and she retains the feel of roaming around and scouting out areas for her team. Her new ring of visibility also introduces some interesting gameplay opportunities for great Evelynn players. Through careful attention, Eve can strategically juke around enemies, carefully set up surprise engagements, and unlock all sorts of new options that will reward player skill.

However, opponents now have a small window of opportunity to react, since she becomes visible before she’s directly on top of them (rather, she’ll be closing in on them at the time of detection).

Eve’s new kit

Since Eve’s now slightly more detectable at close range, we’ve been able to give her a much more robust kit:

• We’ve enhanced Eve’s mobility: instead of just having a movement speed steroid on a long-cooldown ult, one of Eve’s new base abilities passively grants her stacking movement speed on spell hits, as well as an active sprint on a short cooldown. These effects can stack.
  • Hate Spike is getting a significantly longer range and the ability to hit more targets.
  • Eve’s getting a new ultimate -- a ranged AoE that damages and slows enemies while granting her some increased durability based on how successful she is at landing it.

Results

All in all, these changes make Evelynn a much more viable, flexible pick. She’s still a strong duelist and ganker thanks to her stealthy nature, enhanced mobility and high damage output. These new changes also give her some much-needed team fight presence.

We’ll be putting Eve up on the PBE for final testing and QA in the next content patch – look forward to her full kit details and feel free to give her some hands-on testing at that time.

Next up: Classick with the Twitch details.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twitch ability remake overview

For a while now, we’ve felt like Twitch hasn’t lived up to our original design vision. Our goal when revisiting his kit was to restore some of his intended gameplay style and feel without drifting away from what existing Twitch players have come to love.

We’ve always wanted Twitch’s poison gameplay to be rewarding and deadly in the right hands. Good Twitch players should be able to deliberately stack poisons and put out massive damage with Expunge. Currently, Expunge doesn’t scale well and Spray and Pray’s poison-stacking isn’t valued over its direct damage, making Twitch’s poison gameplay feel lackluster at most stages of the game.

Twitch’s new stealth

We wanted to buff Twitch’s poison gameplay across the board, but in order to accomplish this we needed to address how Twitch used stealth. Because of the inherent advantages that long-term stealth brings, we haven’t been able to adequately buff the rest of Twitch’s abilities. This was impacting his competitive viability. The more we looked at Twitch’s kit and where we wanted him to end up, the more we realized that making Ambush a short-term, tactical tool would enable us to realize his envisioned potential.

Twitch’s new kit

Because Ambush’s stealth now has a short duration, we have some breathing room to buff Twitch in other departments:

• Expunge now scales well into late-game, which includes getting additional damage from your bonus Attack Damage. It also now scales off of both AP andAD.
  • Spray and Pray is no longer about melting entire teams via AoE – it’s now more important as a tool for strategically stacking poisons.
  • We’ve remade Debilitating Poison into a new ability called Venom Cask, which now further contributes to his venom-stacking gameplay
  • His base stats are getting buffed.
  • Twitch is also getting some quality of life improvements, which include making his attack animation snappier.

Results

Twitch is going to be in a much better spot at all levels of competition with his new abilities and focus. His core gameplay is getting some much-needed love, and his new Ambush feels great.

Stay tuned for full details on Twitch’s kit – he’s going up on the PBE for final testing and QA in the next content patch, and we’ll have some news on the front page detailing his full kit at that time.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
07-10-2012   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Games
Trickster OnlineRusty HeartsLeague of LegendsGrand Chase

xPhantom is on a distinguished road
IGN: xPhantom | Distiny | Juce
Class: Racoon | Bunny | Fox to_cardmaster
Level: 216 | 192 | 149

Sounds very interesting, I really like Twitch, but I realized he is kinda squishy and weak (at the start), so I really like the buff of the base stats.
It also looks like they want to "buff" his poison, since I think his poison is pretty weak.
So in my opinion it sounds like a great rework for him, surely he will be interesting to play.
Can't really say something about Evelynn, since I don't play her.

Btw. where did you get these informations? o:

07-10-2012   #3 (permalink)
8-bit
Games
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Mega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond repute

Morello made a thread on the LoL general section forums~

All I can say is, yay Evelynn! Now you don't have to worry about pushing a button to go stealth

Definitely looking forward to see how it works for both of them.

07-10-2012   #4 (permalink)
LIFETIME TRADER
Games
Aika OnlineAlliance of Valiant ArmsAsda StoryArchlord
Awards Event WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

Nihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Nihil679
IGN: Nihiru

For the most part, I'm pleased with the remakes, they sound really good.
The only problem with Evelynn is that I find the concept of the ultimate to be a bit uncreative. While I admit that I don't know how it works exactly right now, the fact that it's another "Press R: TANKY DPS MODE ENGAGED" based on what I am hearing makes it a little... vanilla. I hope I'm proven wrong, but it sounds like Xin Zhao's ultimate.

From what it sounds like though, Evelynn's playstyle is now going to be able surprising people and getting in range of the new Hate Spike (which will most likely be long enough just enough for the person to react to visible stealth), mashing that to get movement speed stacks, then kicking them in the face. Unless she gets a gapcloser like they said many months ago, but I hope not.

07-10-2012   #5 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Tardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm intrigued by the Twitch changes. I do prefer the short-term stealth on him, I've always felt he was significantly less gimped by true vision compared to Eve.

07-11-2012   #6 (permalink)
Custom User Title
Games
Puzzle PiratesAtlantica OnlineGrand ChaseRunescape
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Noctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really nice

"Spray and Pray is no longer about melting entire teams via AoE – it’s now more important as a tool for strategically stacking poisons."
Does that just mean they're gonna nerf the damage from Spray and Pray?

07-11-2012   #7 (permalink)
Bleughhh
Games
Grand ChaseElswordLeague of LegendsEden Eternal

Kenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant future
IGN: Kenzor

I'm glad Eve's getting stealth as her passive, having it on cooldown really screws her over, with what little she could do to begin with.

A little disappointed with the rest of her kit though, outside of stealth she now seems very generic...

Can't say much about Twitch since the descriptions are a little vague, base stat increases for him are always welcome though.

07-11-2012   #8 (permalink)
Deadpool approves!
Games
Cosmic BreakGrand ChaseMapleStoryMabinogi

Marzai is a name known to allMarzai is a name known to allMarzai is a name known to allMarzai is a name known to allMarzai is a name known to allMarzai is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Marzai
IGN: -points at name-
Guild: None

Eve's new ult does sound pretty generic, and I don't think that'd really help her end-game all too well. Unless this counts nearby minions, which could be a pretty significant buff on her durability. Nevertheless, I'm really happy she's getting a revamp, and an increase on the range of Hate Spike will be awesome.

Pinkie Pool's archnemesis: Oatmeal.

07-11-2012   #9 (permalink)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Games
League of LegendsSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterMapleStoryDragon Nest
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorFacebook Fan

Role has a brilliant futureRole has a brilliant futureRole has a brilliant futureRole has a brilliant futureRole has a brilliant futureRole has a brilliant futureRole has a brilliant futureRole has a brilliant futureRole has a brilliant futureRole has a brilliant futureRole has a brilliant future
IGN: DestN

The only buff I care about next patch is the win zhao changes. Time to put that Mulan song on repeat while playing him again. =)

07-11-2012   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Games
Trickster OnlineRusty HeartsLeague of LegendsGrand Chase

xPhantom is on a distinguished road
IGN: xPhantom | Distiny | Juce
Class: Racoon | Bunny | Fox to_cardmaster
Level: 216 | 192 | 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis
"Spray and Pray is no longer about melting entire teams via AoE – it’s now more important as a tool for strategically stacking poisons."
Does that just mean they're gonna nerf the damage from Spray and Pray?
I don't think so, Spray and Pray is pretty strong but shouldn't be 'just' nerfed.
Let's just hope for a good change.

07-11-2012   #11 (permalink)
8-bit
Games

Quote:
Ability Remake: Evelynn, the Widowmaker

In an upcoming patch we’ll be revisiting two of the first champions to grace the Fields of Justice: Twitch, the Plague Rat, and Evelynn, the Widowmaker. These champions haven’t been as viable as we’d like them to be due to problematic long-term stealth mechanics. For Evelynn, her core ability Shadow Walk allowed her to remain invisible for long periods of time, ultimately forcing players to stay on the defensive and favor cautious play. Since we want the action to remain a fun and fluid experience throughout the match, we decided to update these champions with some new stealth abilities.

Because Evelynn has always been the consummate assassin in League of Legends, we really wanted to preserve that bloodthirsty feeling of stalking an enemy champion. Instead of traditional invisibility, however, we decided to retool Shadow Walk into a new form of persistent stealth. Whenever Evelynn is out of combat, this passive version of Shadow Walk will kick in after a short period of time, reducing the range at which enemy champions can see her. Additionally, while in this state Evelynn will be invisible to all Sight Wards and minions, though turrets and Vision Wards will still be able to spot her as normal.

This new version of Shadow Walk will allow Evelynn to close in on an enemy, positioning herself closer to melee range while she waits for the opportune moment to attack. To help her initiate in an appropriately predatory manner, her new Dark Frenzy ability can give her the Movement Speed boost she needs to quickly close the distance on an unsuspecting target. Additionally, we’ve modified Ravage so that it not only functions as a nuke but also provides an Attack Speed bonus to help her quickly take down her victim. Should she score a kill or assist, the cooldown on Dark Frenzy is reset, allowing her to either redouble the attack or escape and vanish as quickly as she came.

Evelynn also faced challenges participating in team fights. To give her some additional staying power when entering the fray, Evelynn can employ her new ultimate ability Agony’s Embrace. This new ultimate targets an area, dealing damage and slowing the enemies it hits. In addition to its offensive effects, Agony’s Embrace also grants Evelynn a significant damage shield for each enemy champion caught within the target area.

Combined with the strategic advantage of Shadow Walk, this shield can give the Widowmaker the tactical advantage she needs to quickly reach and tear down a high value target in a team fight. For even more added punch in these group situations, we’ve also increased the range on Hate Spike and updated it to strike multiple enemy targets in a line each time it’s cast. This added team fight utility combines with Evelynn’s new persistent stealth to keep her alive and dangerous even in the more advanced stages of the game when group action is more prevalent.

Abilities

• Shadow Walk (Passive): While out of combat, Evelynn enters stealth causing her to be detectable only by nearby champions or true sight. Additionally, Evelynn rapidly regenerates Mana while stealthed.
  • Hate Spike: Evelynn fires a line of spikes through a nearby adversary, dealing magic damage to all enemies caught in their path.
  • Dark Frenzy:
    • Passive: Evelynn’s spell hits grant her a stacking Movement Speed buff.
    • Active: Evelynn breaks free from any slows affecting her and gains a massive Movement Speed boost for a short duration.
  • Ravage: Evelynn slashes her target twice, dealing magic damage with each strike and gaining a massive Attack Speed boost for a short duration thereafter.
  • Agony’s Embrace: Evelynn impales all enemies in a target area, dealing magic damage based on their maximum health and slowing them. She then gains a shield based on how many enemy champions she hit.
Looks interesting~

07-11-2012   #12 (permalink)
Benevolent Misfortune
Games
Ragnarok OnlineTrickster OnlineGunboundLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

Sanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud of
IGN: Sanichi
Class: Scholar
Level: 50
Guild: FrenchBread

The game style for both seems greatly changed, though, I hoped hate spike would be removed all together.

--—Frenchbread is

07-11-2012   #13 (permalink)
LIFETIME TRADER
Games

Nihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanichi
The game style for both seems greatly changed, though, I hoped hate spike would be removed all together.
Aw, what. Hate Spike was 40% of the reason I wanted to play Evelynn. I love mashing buttons, it's why I like Urgot's playstyle (but hate everything else about him).

I really like the new particle for Hate Spike, and that range doesn't look half bad either. I'm also rather impressed with the ultimate, that it's not a resistance steroid and rather a shield. I have to wonder if it will scale well into late game, unlike Jarvan's shield from what I understand. If the shield health scales off the damage done, it will probably be pretty good.

I like the new design though. Keeping away from the gapcloser and instead making it a surprise attack by running at them and then using Frenzy's passive with Hate Spike to gain movement speed is very interesting.

I don't think I'd be able to play her solo top though with the new stealth mechanic. Sounds like a fun jungler though.

07-12-2012   #14 (permalink)
Bleughhh
Games
Grand ChaseElswordLeague of LegendsEden Eternal

Kenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant future
IGN: Kenzor

I like how lately the new champs, instead of having gap closers, have insane movement speed steroids which stack/refresh based on how you play (Darius, Draven, Jayce), promoting consistent aggressive play rather than retarded hit and run gap closer play.

Looks like they'll be doing that with Eve.

07-12-2012   #15 (permalink)
8-bit
Games

Quote:
In an upcoming patch we’ll be revisiting one of our original classic champions: Twitch, the Plague Rat. Twitch’s Ambush ability will be seeing some changes to shift him toward a more aggressive role on the battlefield. Since this ability allowed Twitch to remain invisible for significant periods of time, enemy players were forced to adopt an extremely cautious and defensive playstyle in response. Since we want League of Legends to be a fun, fast-paced experience, we decided to update Twitch with a new version of Ambush.

Even beyond its duration, we saw some major issues with the Ambush ability, primarily surrounding the nature of the Attack Speed bonus that it provided. While Attack Speed helps quickly stack up charges of Deadly Venom, this bonus ramped up over the total duration Twitch remained invisible. This forced players to strike a balance between selecting the ideal time to strike and attempting to lurk for as long as possible in order to reach the maximum bonus. This was especially problematic for Plague Rat enthusiasts, since it forced Twitch to forego farming gold in order to reach his maximum Attack Speed bonus.

To shift emphasis towards a more action-oriented style of play, we retooled Ambush to promote aggressive repositioning over stalking. The first step in accomplishing this was to change the ability so that it always applies the maximum Attack Speed bonus, solidifying the emphasis on selecting the opportune moment of attack. We also drastically shortened the duration to give the ability a more tactical context, and gave Ambush a Movement Speed boost to help Twitch quickly outflank his opponent.

Another issue Twitch faced was an over-reliance on the enormous damage potential of his ultimate ability. More often than not, Twitch’s success or failure on the battlefield depended on his ability to output massive amounts of damage over the course of Spray and Pray rather than on Deadly Venom and Expunge. Since most of his interesting gameplay revolved around poison combos, we wanted to augment this aspect of his kit both to make him more interesting to play and to make him less one dimensional.

For starters, we noticed most Twitch players using Debilitating Poison to begin every engagement rather than waiting to build up stacks of Deadly Venom. For this reason, we decided to replace this ability with one that was better suited to initiating combat. This new ability, Venom Cask, not only allows Twitch to initiate by slowing a group of enemies at range, but also gives him a head start on his combo by adding stacks of Deadly Venom to those caught within the area of effect. To top things off, while Expunge still adds bonus damage for each stack of Deadly Venom on the target, it no longer consumes those stacks when cast, allowing your poisons to continue to tick away. Expunge will also now receive a damage bonus based on your total Attack Damage, preserving its function as a heavy hitting nuke even into the late game.

The final step in the process was repurposing Spray and Pray to better support this new emphasis on poison gameplay. To do this, we scaled back the massive, team-wide damage potential by making each missile deal reduced damage after passing through each target. To compensate for this, we increased its missile speed to make attacks more difficult to dodge and removed the ammunition requirement, allowing Twitch to spray poisoned arrows to his heart’s content for the full duration of his ultimate. This allows tanks to take the brunt of the initial assault for their team through good positioning, but still allows Twitch to douse the more vulnerable enemies at the back of the formation with stacks of Deadly Venom. These more powerful poison-delivery options help Twitch maintain a constant threat level, allowing him to take down high value targets without leaning so heavily on Spray and Pray.

Abilities

• Deadly Venom (Passive): Twitch’s basic attacks infect the target, dealing true damage over time.
  • Ambush: Twitch becomes invisible for a short duration and gains Movement Speed. At the end of this effect, Twitch gains Attack Speed for a short duration.
  • Venom Cask: Twitch hurls a cask of venom that explodes on contact, slowing targets in the area and applying Deadly Venom.
  • Expunge: All nearby enemies secrete Twitch's Deadly Venom from their bodies, dealing damage for each stack.
  • Spray and Pray: Twitch closes his eyes and rapidly fires his crossbow, quickly spraying powerful poisoned bolts ahead of him.
Click here to comment
Still annoying lol.

07-13-2012   #16 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Tardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond repute

Somewhat bummed that they didn't give Twitch a little facelift. He looks like such a walking turd.

07-13-2012   #17 (permalink)
LIFETIME TRADER
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesie
Somewhat bummed that they didn't give Twitch a little facelift. He looks like such a walking turd.
I bet it's the intention, since he's... you know, a sewer rat. Who says himself that he stinks.