ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > MMO Games > League of Legends (LoL)

Elsword
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
02-20-2012   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict
Games
Grand ChaseMapleStoryTrickster OnlineLa Tale

RaineScarlet is a jewel in the roughRaineScarlet is a jewel in the roughRaineScarlet is a jewel in the rough
IGN: RaineScarlet
Default How to Change Roles..?

Long story short, I always queue with my friends and I play Support (Sona, Soraka, Janna, etc.) but lately, I've been getting a bit bored stalking my friends around Summoner's Rift and I want to try a new role (carry, solo top/mid, jungle).

Unfortunately... I'm not really good at League, so every time I tried a new champ, I failed so hard that my team would tell me to uninstall -_-.

What I want to know is, what's a good way to ease into playing a new role without getting steamrolled too hard by my lane opponent?

NB: Other than supports, I can play Lux and Caitlyn with so-so results. I don't really carry, but I don't fail either. Not sure if those games were luck-based or what. I used to be a great Singed, but I don't own him so it's been a while.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
02-20-2012   #2 (permalink)
LIFETIME TRADER
Games
Aika OnlineAlliance of Valiant ArmsAsda StoryArchlord
Awards Event WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

Nihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Nihil679
IGN: Nihiru

Watch streams.
Any question of "How do I get better?" is often just that. Watch a lot of streams.
Since you play support a lot, have you tried looking at other lanes? It's the field equivalent of watching streams.

Aside from that, simply playing and thinking, "I did something wrong here. What did I do wrong and how can I fix that?" Are you not able to CS? If you are, is it just missing them or getting out-harassed? Are you bad at making decisions as a jungler? Identify what makes you not able to play a role and find a way to get around it.

Ignore whatever people say when you're trying to learn. Unless you are playing ranked, there is no reason to take it extremely serious to the point of heart attacks.

Learning in LoL basically boils down to "Monkey see, monkey do."

02-20-2012   #3 (permalink)
Bleughhh
Games
Grand ChaseElswordLeague of LegendsEden Eternal

Kenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant future
IGN: Kenzor

Find a champ that you enjoy from one of those roles and practice with that first.
If you stick around with that champ for a while, you might find yourself playing other champs of the same role after.

Also helps to play vs bots at least once to get the feel of what a champion does, how their skills work etc.

02-20-2012   #4 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Battle of the ImmortalsFlyFFGrand ChaseLa Tale
Awards Facebook Fan

Riolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Riolu
IGN: Devilit
Class: Raven lt_explorer
Level: 60
Guild: Majestic
Xfire: riolu

Do what you can with what you've got. Practice as much as possible against bots to get better. When you get 40/0 scores in co-op vs ai you'll be ready.

02-20-2012   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict
Games

RaineScarlet is a jewel in the roughRaineScarlet is a jewel in the roughRaineScarlet is a jewel in the rough

Thanks everyone. I'll try using bot games to improve. I used to frown on bot games because they were unrealistic (a.k.a. they don't gank and they seldom chase you into brush <--which is stupid), but I'll give it a shot.

I do watch streams from time to time, but my main issue is when I'm actually playing, I'm so focused on last-hitting and harassing that I sometimes don't look at my minimap for missing champions (and thus, die from ganks). It's easier for me to do it as a support because I just sit back and let my carry farm. More for me to practice then. @_@

02-20-2012   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterLeague of LegendsGrand ChaseAudition 2
Awards Facebook Fan

soulzter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to soulzter
Class: lolragequit
Guild: Synergy

play garen
1.hide in bush with friends, best if sion or someone who can disable or slow
2.silence them with 1st then spin like mad with 3rd and ulti any survivors
3.???
4.profit!

garen is a good hero to have a good change in pace i dare say and remember, spin to win~
also if you wan a good idea how to play, just find me on LoL, i don't mind, but beware i tend to ***** alot when i lag.

Last edited by soulzter; 02-20-2012 at 11:02 PM.

02-21-2012   #7 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Riolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant future

What summoner level are you at by the way?

02-21-2012   #8 (permalink)
Bleughhh
Games

Kenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineScarlet
Thanks everyone. I'll try using bot games to improve. I used to frown on bot games because they were unrealistic (a.k.a. they don't gank and they seldom chase you into brush <--which is stupid), but I'll give it a shot.

I do watch streams from time to time, but my main issue is when I'm actually playing, I'm so focused on last-hitting and harassing that I sometimes don't look at my minimap for missing champions (and thus, die from ganks). It's easier for me to do it as a support because I just sit back and let my carry farm. More for me to practice then. @_@
Yes, it's easy to exploit bots' limited intelligence but the main point of playing against bots is really just to get a feel of your champ, test builds, etc.

but then again, the new intermediate bots are pretty sly.

02-21-2012   #9 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzor
but then again, the new intermediate bots are pretty sly.
I've actually played games where they'd chase me into bushes and/or gank me while laning and the devs are still working on improving them (next patch they're adding a bot function where they'll gank you if you keep pushing and making the enemy champs go back to their base frequently).

02-21-2012   #10 (permalink)
Bleughhh
Games

I've played 1 game with the improved bots.

I chased a bot from bot to mid, thinking they were acting like true bots who only do one thing and completely ignore the fact that I was chasing it.
Turns out, it was just an act and it ganked me from the bush.

dat sly bot.

02-21-2012   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict
Games
Trickster Online

Argorath has a spectacular aura aboutArgorath has a spectacular aura aboutArgorath has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulzter
play garen
1.hide in bush with friends, best if sion or someone who can disable or slow
2.silence them with 1st then spin like mad with 3rd and ulti any survivors
3.???
4.profit!

garen is a good hero to have a good change in pace i dare say and remember, spin to win~
also if you wan a good idea how to play, just find me on LoL, i don't mind, but beware i tend to ***** alot when i lag.
I take teleport on Garen and ward 90% of the bushes on the map.

Anyways, bot games are a good idea - it's amazing how even custom games feel like I'm playing an actual match of Co-op VS AI.
Or you can Skype with your friends and have them walk you through a role - learn how to last hit or initiate with different champions. Maybe some that don't require skillshots such as Akali, but just simple decision making in the beginning.

02-21-2012   #12 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Akali is in no way a good champion for someone who's just starting to play the game.

If you want to play other roles just check champions in the shop that have "recommended" in their description, they're good for someone's who's just starting.

02-21-2012   #13 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule Fighter

ForTheCity is a jewel in the roughForTheCity is a jewel in the roughForTheCity is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riolu
Do what you can with what you've got. Practice as much as possible against bots to get better. When you get 40/0 scores in co-op vs ai you'll be ready.
I will never be ready...

02-21-2012   #14 (permalink)
LIFETIME TRADER
Games

Nihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond reputeNihil679 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheCity
I will never be ready...
It's an exaggeration.
... at least I hope so. I don't deserve my current elo if it wasn't.

02-21-2012   #15 (permalink)
Martyed to evil

Eternal has disabled reputation

best way to improve imo is abuse op characters

raise your elo, face better players, learn new things etc.

No matter what may await, please don't regret meeting me.

Solomid Guides:
http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=22360

02-21-2012   #16 (permalink)
LIFETIME TRADER
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal
best way to improve imo is abuse op characters

raise your elo, face better players, learn new things etc.
This does nothing except give you an artificial improvement.

02-21-2012   #17 (permalink)
Martyed to evil

Eternal has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihil679
This does nothing except give you an artificial improvement.
nah, you learn from playing against better players.

thats the main point of improving if you artificially raise your elo.

just from self experience, since having no prior moba/rts experience, I learned quickly by abusing shaco/ezreal/tf( top most played champs by me pre season). Then I face ppl like regi, kobe24, etc. and learned lane freeze, harass/last hit techniques, builds( doran stacking back then), etc.

whether or not you can learn as much from streams, I donno.

No matter what may await, please don't regret meeting me.

Solomid Guides:
http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=22360

02-21-2012   #18 (permalink)
LIFETIME TRADER
Games

You still are not learning what to do if you lose your lane because you're playing an "OP" champion, which, in theory if you're playing an "OP" champion, means they cannot be beat.

"What should I do as my role if I lost my lane?"
"What should I do as my role if I am camped?"
"What should I do as my role if I am counterjungled?"
"What should I do as my role if SAID OP CHAMPION IS NOT EVEN AVAILABLE?"

Learning a role is not simply playing the strong pick. Learning a role is understanding what you do when you are doing stupendously well, what to do when you just lost it completely, what to do when this, what to do when that, what if teammate is this, what if teammate is that.

Not to mentions roles can differ from lanes down to champion picks. You aren't going to be engaging fights and tanking 1v5 as a Riven, as opposed to Amumu, though both can jungle. You aren't going to be targeting the enemy's anti-carry to peel them off your carry as Akali, as opposed to Singed, though both can top. Top lane can very well be bruiser or AP. Mid lane could be AD anti-AP counters.

In short, just playing an OP champion does not teach you a role. Playing against high level players that you reached to by playing said OP champion will get you rolled. Losing is just demotivating, especially when you realize you only reached so high because you cheesed your way up. You can achieve the equivalent to this by watching streams and asking "Why does <player> do this?" If it hasn't occurred to you already, questioning everything that happens is an amazing way to improve.

Some don't learn by being thrown into the pool and being yelled "Swim!" Others could very well be thrown into a vat of acid and being told "Survive."

02-21-2012   #19 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riolu
What summoner level are you at by the way?
I supported my way up to level 30. I've learned a lot of things as s support character, such as map awareness, ward placement, and jungle times. My main problem right now is harassing (which Sona is helping me with) and last hitting (which I stink at no matter how many times I practice in custom games).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihil679
Some don't learn by being thrown into the pool and being yelled "Swim!"
Dat's me right there. I learn very slowly, even though I watch streams from time to time.

I used to solo queue before I hit 30, but since I hit 30, I coincidentally found a steady group to play with, so I always Skype/Steam with them while I play--we usually 3-5 man it. But my friends always have the other roles covered, and the remaining pub or two we pick up never play support, so it usually falls to me to take that role.

As for the "OP" champs comment. I dunno. While I do agree that playing OP champs might help me out at first (Caitlyn as opposed to Ashe or something), I'll eventually play against a Caitlyn better than me, so doing just that will cause me to hit a dead end.

02-21-2012   #20 (permalink)
LIFETIME TRADER
Games

Harassing is definitely something support can help you with, because their role not only babysits the carry, but makes you the mosquito in the enemy carry's life. Tying that in, you can learn how to harass while having map awareness, which would flow over to top/mid lane and a bit into carry bot lane, where you can harass while holding up map awareness for incoming ganks.

For last hitting, it's something you just adjust into and it's usually just getting to know your champion. For example, last hitting is stupid easy as Irelia since she can spam Q for last hits, but Anivia is notorious for being difficult to last hit with because of her attack animation. Miss Fortune has an amazing attack animation, Cassiopeia's makes me rage.
If you want to set a minor handicap for yourself, find one minion whose health seems to go down a bit faster than the rest in a wave. Keep watch of it's health in the top left and compare it to your AD. When you find where the minion's health is less than your AD, make a mental note of its health bar, then use that to mark when to hit a minion. This works the same way if you were using skills, just check the skill damage.