ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > MMO Games > LaTale > LaTale Character Types > LaTale Wizards

Perfect World
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Perfect World

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
01-09-2011   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Dialogue has a spectacular aura aboutDialogue has a spectacular aura about
IGN: Cattle
Class: Wizard
Default Wizard help.

I haven't played in a while, and I plan on making a wizard --> bard.

Now I've never made a wizard before but some people say wind > water
and others say water > wind. I'm not really sure which one to do o-o;

And people also say daggers are pointless, others say daggers are the best up until 40. It's so confusing D:

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
01-09-2011   #2 (permalink)
The Truth Is, I Love You ♥
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineLa TaleRagnarok OnlineLegend of Edda
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerLucky StreakTreasure HunterFacebook FanTwitter Fan

Esper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: BabyTakumi
Class: Maestro
Guild: FrenchBread

Element vs Dagger
It's all personal preference on how players grind.

For me, I chose Dagger over elements until level 60. The reason? Using one element is slow because it only has one path. Dagger provides you with two paths (Throw and Melee) to easily combo.

You could also do a combination of Dagger up to level 40 and then some elemental skills.

Water vs Wind
Grinding from level 1-80, I went with Wind when I started learning them.
Why? Faster casting that goes well with Dagger skill combination. Water was something that I only bothered with once I became a Bard.

Home is where someone is thinking about you ▪ crafting resource guidesymphonyblog
健全なる魂は ◦ 健全なる精神と ◦ 健全なる肉体に宿る ◦

01-09-2011   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Dialogue has a spectacular aura aboutDialogue has a spectacular aura about
IGN: Cattle
Class: Wizard

Okay thanks alot.

Is there a specific build I should follow if I'm going to go dagger?

01-09-2011   #4 (permalink)
SOC
"God is my Judge."
Special
Games
La TaleFinal Fantasy XIRagnarok OnlineMapleStory
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

SOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to SOC
IGN: Fortuleo
Class: Duelist/Judgement lt_gunslinger
Level: 142/152
Guild: GoldenDawn

If you want your standard 1-80 Wizard -> Bard experience, I recommend dagger with main focus on Water attack skills/healing, and then getting the throwing dagger attack tree when you have extra skill points laying around. This will get you used to your water skills, how to heal, and give you enough room to do decent damage. It's not "bad," but it's not the "best." It's pretty standard and average.

01-09-2011   #5 (permalink)
Special
Games
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerLucky StreakTreasure HunterFacebook FanTwitter Fan

Esper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond repute

Not really. Just get the Dagger Mastery (Novice) to level 5 and Dagger Mastery (Skilled) to level 10 and the rest goes into the attack skills.

As a Wizard using Daggers to help level, ignore the Misc. Skills since those are all towards your magic attack.
When you learn your magic attacks, you'll want to get Magic Upgrade to level 10 and that's it.

Home is where someone is thinking about you ▪ crafting resource guidesymphonyblog

01-15-2011   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan

Mac2492 will become famous soon enoughMac2492 will become famous soon enough
IGN: ShuiLong
Class: Elemental Master lt_sorcerer
Level: 153
Guild: Lollipop

I actually suggest getting miscs/heals/higher level magic skills over dagger masteries. The main point in getting dagger skills as a wizard is having something to fill in the gaps of your magic attacks, not to be your main source of damage (unless you want it to be, in which case you'll want to get Dagger masteries and enchant your dagger with min/max damage and gloves with crit damage. might also want to consider making an Explorer too. =P) But in all seriousness, you magic will quickly outdamage your dagger and provide you with a better SP-to-damage ratio. Since the benefits of dagger masteries are... not so great at low levels, your points would probably be better spent in something like heals.

The addition of Flash/Fresh/Flesh (*kicks whoever translated this skill's name*) makes staff Wizard more viable, as you'll have that skill to hold your combo. It's decently strong, and you can even JAS (jump -> attack -> skill, to airskill) it.

If you go with Wind, you won't really need dagger skills to hold your combo by level 40. Not sure why people recommend Water/Dagger or Wind/Dagger, because those are the two elements that need Dagger skills the least.

As for Wind vs. Water or whether Dagger skills are useful or not... All the elements are viable. Just pick the one you enjoy using. Dagger skills are equally viable. You can do just fine with or without them. It'll be a bit harder to combo at lower levels without them, but you'll have more points to put into passives, heals, or attack skills. It's very hard to mess up your build in this game. Shui was Water/Earth/Healing from 1-80 and the general opinion I got before starting was something along the lines of OMGDON'TDOITYOU'LLBEWEAKANDHORRIBLE. End result? Got to 80 in about three weeks and had the time of my life. I could tank, heal, and deal damage both forward and surrounding. It was a great experience.

Main Point: You can't mess up unless you do something really idiotic like getting knuckle skills with no knuckle masteries, skipping magic skills, and boosting dagger masteries. If you mess up your build as a Wizard without doing something that level of dumb, I will seriously pay for your reskill. Just mail ShuiLong. 8D

Last edited by Mac2492; 01-15-2011 at 03:15 AM.

01-15-2011   #7 (permalink)
Special
Games

There are a few reasons to skip misc and heals. :x

Misc
Magic Upgrade: Increases Magic by 3% per level (30% total).
› Not much help at low levels nor is Magic a helpful stat. It takes way too much Magic to make a noticeable difference in your damage. It's always been about a weapon's Magic Min/Max Damage and a stone's Min/Max [Element] Damage/Intensity.
Elemental Harmony: Raises Physical Evasion by 1% per level (10% total).
› Low levels have no purpose dodging. They just don't have enough evasion to make that difference.
Magic Detection: Raises Magical Evasion by 1% per level (10% total)
› Do low level monsters even cast magic? .__.
Mind Square: Raises HP/SP recovery rate
› An okay skill to get. Not that much help at low levels since you have low HP/SP, which a pot can easily remedy.
The rest of the skills under those state above don't serve much purpose either. They also take too many points for someone who's just still leveling to level 80.

All Heals
In the beginning, it's a good skill to have. Saves you HP pots so you can spend more on SP pots/equipment.
Once you get to level 60+, you begin training on mobbier places. Being hit every time, I don't see why you would stand there healing yourself (draining SP) while the monsters keep barraging you with lots of attacks.
It's better to just use both HP/SP pots while killing them as fast as possible.

I've tried the heal skill and found it pathetic in terms of how well it works in a solo situation.
It healed me around 35x (?) HP and before I know it, the monster already knocked it back down.

There is one thing that I did enjoy about the heal though. If you have a grinding partner who does most of the damage, you can get it. I had it from 70-80 and I mixed it in combination with wind skills. Between those levels, the grinding location can become mobby and a HP pot + heal is more than enough to raise the HP back to 90%.

01-15-2011   #8 (permalink)
after seeing Flay naked:
Games
La TaleDragon SagaGrand FantasiaMapleStory

LilPhenyl is a glorious beacon of lightLilPhenyl is a glorious beacon of lightLilPhenyl is a glorious beacon of lightLilPhenyl is a glorious beacon of lightLilPhenyl is a glorious beacon of lightLilPhenyl is a glorious beacon of light
IGN: Evey
Class: The Master Of Coli Pickle Sticks: Queen Weinerlooks
Level: 14X
Guild: TrueHeaven

Hi, wizard~sorcerer~elemental master person here.

Here's an overview for the most proficient of builds. If you have any specific questions, I can lay it out for you. I just don't wanna go into every little detail at the moment.

Build 1~ Throw Dagger + Wind (healing optional)
This build gets you through 1-40(or 60) in a jiffy. You don't max dagger masteries, and you only max the second wind mastery so you can get wind walk. Of course, you max all wind magic and healing magic if you're using heals. Healing and Wind Walk will be invaluable in any party, as both allow for faster/safer mob-killings. (IE: DPMachines take on large mobs without dying, group can move around faster, etc.)

Build 2~ Wind + Healing
I switched to this build at 40, and worked it well. 60 is the perfect level for this, though. You will be able to chain wind magic endlessly if you do it right, and you will have heals. So you're as useful as build 1, except now you can use a staff to boost your power/magic accuracy if you want. You will also have more skill points to use.

Build 3 ~ Dual Element
This build is good, but the second element you use will be weaker and slower than using dagger skills. In other words, this is a bad choice. It may be useful if you use water and fire, and use a water stone. (1 Water is fast and spammy, ice storm saves you from getting pummeled to death 2 Fire is pretty strong so it won't suffer as much in terms of lower damage). Healing can come with this, but you may need more points as you would want maxed masteries for at least one of the elements. All in all, this build is only better than the dagger+magic one if you have a dual elemental stone... Which at that level is a waste of ely, especially since you're going to become a bard.

Notice how I didn't mention Misc Skills? That's because they are a TOTAL WASTE at levels 1~80, and some still are until 110+. You can use your skill points elsewhere. If you have extra points, then you can start fooling around with Misc Skills. The only ones I found useful was Mind Square and Magic Upgrade. Elemental Protection is percentage based, so it's very useful later on, but not at 1~80 (EX: I'm a level 144 EM and I can do potless training for about 2-4 minutes using it - it's cool down is about 2 minutes too. At lower levels, it sooooo didn't do that). The power boosting skills are the same, so at lower levels, you will barely notice a difference. The crit skill, however, may be worth your while since Magic Crit Rate has been proven to be more potent (meaning 3%+ crit rate = worthwhile for the most part).