ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > MMO Games > LaTale > LaTale Guides > LaTale Warrior Guides

Vindictus
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Vindictus

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
11-19-2010   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Kayo is on a distinguished road
Default Kayo's Comprehensive 2h Sword Warrior Guide

Foreword:I'm pretty new to La Tale in general, so please consider this when reading this guide. Any constructive criticism is welcomed. Either leave a comment, or if you have a lot you'd like to discuss, you can reach me on AIM. My user name is Aemskey.

INTRODUCTION:

Hey there, I'm Kayo. Today I'll be attempting to enlighten some new players to the wonderful world of being a Two-Handed Sword Warrior. Before I start, I'd like to mention two key things.

First off, this is NOT a manual for how you should play this particular class. I'll merely be telling you about the pros and cons of playing a 2h warrior, and going in depth on skills.

Secondly, always remember that it is nigh impossible to completely ruin a character. Skill Reset books are NOT terribly expensive (I'll actually be telling you a half decent way to make money at early levels in this guide, but more on that later.) so if you ever find yourself thinking, "Man, where did I go wrong?" you can always find solace in that fact.

Now that we've got that out of the way...I'll go ahead and outline what we'll be learning here today:

-What it means to be a 2h Warrior from my perspective. I'll outline the pros and cons as I see them, and try to give everyone a general idea of what to expect.

-What the different skills are, and in depth information about individual skill. In lieu of telling you a specific skill tree to follow, I'll assign each individual skill a rating from 1-10 on how important I find them to be.

-The Great Debate: Rage or Concentration.

- Misc. Tips and Tricks. This section will include my tips to make money.

Now then, lets get started.

-------------------------------------------------------

To be a Warrior

Why should I become a 2h Warrior? There is a lot to consider, honestly. The whole reason I became a warrior, was mainly because they were the first class to look really interesting. I mean, high damage and needlessly flashy skills without being made of tissue paper? That sounds pretty cool to me. But you might have other reasons to like them. You could like them just because they are beginner friendly. Maybe you'd be interested in them because they are easier to train if you are by yourself. Who knows? Only you. So evaluate yourself accordingly before making the choice to become a warrior.

What can I look forward to? As a 2h Warrior, you have a lot to looks forward to! High damage, flashy skills, high intensity mobbing....and pot burn. Lots of that. But we'll worry about that a bit later.

What sets me apart from other Warriors? As a 2h Warrior, you are a completely different beast compared to other Warriors. You have superb damage, very acceptable range for a melee class(Second only to Spear Warriors), and you get exclusive access to one of my favorite skills. Plus, 2h Warriors get some of the coolest looking weapons in La Tale.

So lets break things down:

The Pros:

-High damage
-Good range for a melee class
-Decent defense and HP
-Beginner friendly
-Good in party's or solo

The Cons:

-You are NOT a real tank
-You have to get up close to mobs
-Skills tend to be very costly, due to low SP
-Intense mobs will burn your pots quickly
-Can be fairly inaccurate depending on your build

So, now I've told you what you need to expect from being a 2h Warrior. Now you just have to decide if being a 2h Warrior is right for you.

The Skills

In this section, I will briefly outline each skill and describe it's attributes. I will also grade each skill on a scale of 1-10 on how important I consider it to be. Remember, these are only my thoughts. Nothing is set in stone.

The Mastery Skill Tree

Two-Handed Sword Mastery (Novice): This will likely be the first skill you ever put a skill point into. This is because you need to up this skill to increase the level of your first two attacking skills. As for it's effect...It increases your accuracy with 2h Swords. I...shouldn't have to explain how helpful this skill is. You want this skill maxed ASAP. 10/10

Two-Handed Sword Mastery (Skilled): This is actually slightly less important than I originally thought. This skill increases your damage with 2h Swords and when maxed allows you to up Edge Bounce. It's a good skill, without doubt. But unfortunately, I placed more priority on other skills at the time I could up this. 7/10

Two-Handed Sword Mastery (Expert): ....Augh. I'm not a high enough level to up this skill yet, but I've done my research on it. I'm going to level with everyone reading this guide, right now. I don't like this skill. I don't like what it does, and I don't think a skill like this should be referred to as 'Mastery' of any kind. This skill makes all of your 2h sword attacks even more powerful. However! It lowers your accuracy substantially in the process. Now I'm not gonna sit here and preach that this skill is useless, because it isn't. With proper equips, this skill can make you a force to be reckoned with. But meh. I'm just ranting at this point. My opinion, 1/10

Shock Wave Skill Tree

Shock Wave:Nostalgia! The first attack skill I used in La Tale. It's a single strike, multiple target attack thats more cost efficient than the other attack skill you can have at this level. The catch is, that it tends to do collectively less damage. Either way, definitely a good choice for the first attacking skill you choose. 8/10

Meteor WaveAlright, take Shock Wave....and add slight forwards movement, a lot of damage, and a cooler attack effect. Thats Meteor Wave. Same draws backs as well, however. 7/10

Atomic Break: Alright, alright. So picture this. Meteor Wave....but bigger. And blue. And more painful. Noticing a trend here? Anyways, by the time you unlock this skill...you should consider which skill tree you like more if you've been upping both. Having more than 6 attack skills is overkill in my opinion. One thing of note, this skill has a fair bit of delay between uses. keep that in mind. 7/10

Time Breaker: Okay! Okay! Guys! You listenin-....Yeah you know where this going. But the difference this time, is that Time Breaker is the best you can get from this skill tree. This is where I officially say, pick a tree and stick with it. By the time you earn this, you have 4 skills you can use from each skill tree. 9/10

Twin Blade Skill Tree

Twin Blade: Why the hell is this skill called TWIN Blade. He swings his sword three times...Well whatever. This is a costly, multi hitting skill that's great at building and sustaining combos at all levels. Since it hits multiple times, you will usually out damage Shock Wave unless you miss with two of the hits. Of note, this skill moves you a bit forwards. keep that in mind if you are fighting enemies that like to lunge through you with their attacks. 8/10

Double Blade: Now THIS skill is one of my favorites. Your character will twirl around, gaining a bit of forward ground in the process, and swing his sword twice. This attack hits all around your character, causes GREAT damage for a two hit attack, and makes your character grin like a psychopath. What's NOT to love? 10/10

Triple Crashes: Dear god...The skills in the tree are getting almost barbaric, aren't they? This skill carries you a good distance forwards and HURTS. Three hits, all capable of devastating damage. I'm loving it. How about you? 9/10

Blade Thrower: ...Well. This is new. As the name implies, your character chunks his sword forwards a distance in a buzz saw fashion. This attack absolutely SHREDS enemies apart. I mean, come on. You just lobbed a freaking Buster sword at them. <_< Anyways...This skill has it all. Range, power, multiple hits...and the cool down time of a Warp Capsule. Note, that my comments involving the skill tree apply here as well. By the time you can access this skill, you should pick a skill tree and adhere to it in my opinion. 9/10

Edge Bounce Skill Tree
Note: To Unlock Edge Bounce, you need to fully upgrade Two-Handed Sword Mastery (Expert). To increase this skill, you must spend 3 skill points instead of 1. However, this skill only has 1 level, so it balances out a bit.

Edge BounceThis skill is highly underrated and under used. I have not read a guide as of yet that mentions anything about this awesome skill. When activated, you gain roughly 1.5 seconds of complete and total invincibility from physical attacks. All physical attacks launched at you will miss without question. This is a GOD SEND for fighting most mobs. It can give that extra second you need for your pots to recharge, and if used in moderation, can easily cut down on HP pot consumption. There are several downsides to this skills, however. The first, is that you must have Concentration active to use this skill. The second, is the long cool down time. Finally, this skill can NOT protect you from nonphysical attacks as far as I've tested. Invoke's flames and wind gusts penetrate Edge Bounce, so I can assume magic might be exempt from Edge Bounce's effect. If you have Concentration, there is no reason not to have this skill as well, however.. 10/10

Counter: Oh yes. This is a terrifying attack in it's own respect. But it requires slight skill to use. First off, you have to successfully evade an attack with Edge Bounce. For a moment after you do, this skill will be usable. It launches a lightning quick counter attack that causes substantial damage. This skill is VERY cost effect relative to the damage it can cause, but unfortunately it has a cool down time almost as long as Edge Bounce. Either way, if you have Concentration and Edge Bounce then this skill is the next step.

Misc. Skill Tree

Strength Upgrade: This skill is pretty important. I'll say that right away. For every point invest into it, you gain 3% more Strength. This skill also needs to be upped to 5 before you can start investing points in either Rage or Concentration. Obviously, you want to put some points into this quickly. 9/10

Overpowering Gaze: I haven't had a lot of time to experiment with this skill. However, it seems fairly reliable from what little time I've had to play around with it. This skill temporarily decreases a target's Attack power by 2% per level. I'm not sure how much this skill really matters in the long run, since I've had very little time to play around with it. If anyone has additional input, I'd love to hear from you. ?/10

Threatening Gaze: This skill...It seems like it could create some heinous scenarios for the mobs you'll be fighting. But that's purely theory on my part, since I've had NO time at all with this skill as of yet. Anyways, this skill lowers the Defense of a monster by 10% + 2% for every level you have in it. Theoretically, with certain damage increasing skill like Rage and Expert Mastery, you could just shred anything this skill effects to pieces with little effort. But thats purely theory. If anyone would like to give me some more information on this, I'm happy to accept. ?/10

Bloodthirsty Aura: Oh my...a passive party buff. Thats rare for a warrior of any kind. This skill seems like it'd be very useful, but as with the previous moves, I haven't been able to test it. Would anyone care to tell me how significant that critical damage becomes? ?/10

Concentration or Rage?

You should have noticed, but I didn't include Rage and Concentration in the above skill list. This is because those skill trees are substantial to how your warrior will behave in combat.

This topic plagued me badly when I first saw it. You can only have one of these skills or the other...Which sucks. Both of these skill have potential to be great, and both have drawbacks. Lets see what we're working with here.

Concentration

This skill increases your accuracy by 1% per level. Warriors need accuracy. Badly. Having this skill will make you more likely to hit enemies, thus making you more likely to hold a combo in tight situations where a miss could ruin it. Plus the Concentration skill tree can lead to the Scar passive skill, which can partially compensate for lost damage. Also, you need Concentrate to have access to Edge Bounce and Counter, both of which are great skills. On the down side...your damage will NOT be as substantial as a Rage warrior. This can be a very serious turn off for some people.

Now, the opposition...

Rage

Rage increases physical attack power by 1% per level. This adds up quickly, and leads you to Rage Explosion. Rage Explosion has potential to make your Twin Blade Tree skills unholy terrifying attacks with the right equips. Also, with the right equips, you can mitigate that loss of accuracy. The problem with all this, to me at least, is that we can't all have these nice equips I keep talking about. Rage seems to be more geared towards people with money. This is only my opinion of course, so keep that in mind.

Well....we've seen both sides of the story. Concentration was my choice. I like the increased accuracy more than the increased damage. Also Edge Bounce and Counter were VERY appealing to me. As for what you should choose...well thats not for me to decide, now is it? Whatever you choose, just remember, Skill Point resets aren't that expensive. You CAN make a skill build change if you think things aren't going well for you.

Misc. Tips and Tricks

-Remember, it's cheaper to upgrade your armor than it is to buy it new. This applies to low levels, for the most part.

-I keep saying that warriors are NOT tanks in La Tale. This is mostly true, but don't underestimate yourself. If the situation becomes dire enough for the party, you may need to sacrifice your own body to keep everyone alive. You aren't as squishy other classes, so keep that in mind. Just be careful and always remember, "No one lives forever!"

-From Deadeye87 on Money Making: Around level 60 or so soloing Invoke should be possible. Since bosses drop multiple bags now the ely from NPCing stuff adds up fast. Well, that's also the level where farming Mine Bats for peridots and other ores becomes both easy and profitable exp and ely-wise, so it's your choice.

Best way to get funded though? Join a guild, ask for help.

- From multiple repliers: High level accessory crafting (around 30) can bring in decent wages. Lower levels don't appear to be as lucrative.

Well guys, it's 2 AM at the time I'm first posting this guide. I'd love feedback, suggestions, comments, etc. I welcome constructive criticism. Any higher leveled people out there, I'd especially like your opinions or any help you can offer.

Last edited by Kayo; 11-21-2010 at 09:21 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
11-21-2010   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Deadeye87 is a glorious beacon of lightDeadeye87 is a glorious beacon of lightDeadeye87 is a glorious beacon of lightDeadeye87 is a glorious beacon of lightDeadeye87 is a glorious beacon of light
IGN: Deadeye87
Class: Treasure Hunter lt_treasurehunter

Quote:
-Making Money, The n00b's Guide: This tip requires only three things. Some luck, a mule(or a real character, it's whatever you want.) who can craft accessories, and patience. Anyone who's been playing past level 30 probably already knows where I'm going with this. But for those of you who don't, this is what you need to do...
You DO know that accessory crafting was nerfed? You need 3 different ores for stuff now, and multiples of each, instead of just 3 of the same ore.

Around level 60 or so soloing Invoke should be possible. Since bosses drop multiple bags now the ely from NPCing stuff adds up fast. Well, that's also the level where farming Mine Bats for peridots and other ores becomes both easy and profitable exp and ely-wise, so it's your choice.

Best way to get funded though? Join a guild, ask for help.

11-21-2010   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Well first off, thanks for the input. But accessory crafting, nerfed or not is a very productive way to make money as far as I've seen. Now granted, I do agree that joining a guild or doing Invoke runs can be a fairly effective way to make money (I actually sold off 200k worth of drops earlier tonight.) but the simple things should not be ignored. Especially considering that Accessory crafting is a fairly decent field to be in regardless of your intention.

Anyways, if you'd like to suggest anything else, please do. I welcome new information and I'll be updating the guide shortly to include the thoughts you've posed.

11-21-2010   #4 (permalink)
aeiou
Special
Games
La TaleVindictusShattered GalaxyRagnarok Online
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

xdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to xdgr
IGN: xdgr
Class: dubbls lt_blader
Level: 70
Guild: Puella Magi

productive if your craft level is enough to make level 80ish stones for a reasonable npc price; but at a low level it is just not worth the time, effort, and money.

11-21-2010   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Seems like a lot of people have a problem with this method. I won't defend my method against people who more than likely have more experience than me, but I will comment that the money is quite good for the patient unfunded newbie. I can attest to the fact. If anyone else complains about that tip in particular, I suppose I'll just take it down.

11-21-2010   #6 (permalink)
Lord of the Ceilings!
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineGrand ChaseLegend of Edda
Awards Staff AwardEvent WinnerMoM AwardDetail Detective

BoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: RandomPerson
Class: Saint lt_guardian
Level: 195
Guild: FrenchBread

i actually still think that camo acc craft is decently good ely. however, its only good when you can craft the lvl 110 and 120 stones at a decent rate (basically lvl 30 craft or higher) since guild crops made the ores needed available theyre pretty cheap in AH and you can gain just as much as before the craft update (before sapphires were about 1m and now the three ores needed for the lvl 120 stone cost about 1m total)

that being said unless you have money to spend to make money, mining your own is not a good way or efficient way to make ely. it would be faster to farm invoke or hyunmu than to mine stacks of three separate ores even with mining lvl 2

11-21-2010   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Alright then. I've edited the guide and completely removed my tip on low level accessory crafting. Thanks to everyone for commenting, but for the sake of the guide, I would appreciate feedback geared more towards...the guide itself.

11-22-2010   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Deadeye87 is a glorious beacon of lightDeadeye87 is a glorious beacon of lightDeadeye87 is a glorious beacon of lightDeadeye87 is a glorious beacon of lightDeadeye87 is a glorious beacon of light

I know for a fact that starting off on a first char will lead to rather weak equips, and not much way to fund them.

A good way to save ely on this is to skip the NPC armor sets entirely and only get the instance sets, going from Invoke full set to Hyunmu, then Sphinx. Farming the instance mobs solo for them will take a very long time - just ask a nearby level 100 and above for some help doing a boss run for the set, and most will oblige provided you only take 1 copy of the set and leave the rest of the drops for them as payment. I wasn't so lucky back in my lowbies; my post on my Hyunmu set in the frustration thread is still there. xD

As for the weapon, stick with the basic NPC stuff (go for the cheapest white or green colored stuff sold in shops unless you get a nice one from drops), then use the weak special weapon coupon from a successful Dark Moon Princess run to get the phantom sword. It has a delicious invincibility special, and the attack on it will last for around 20 levels - by then you're close to changing to your 2nd class anyway. No need to waste ely puzzling stuff unless you're EXTREMELY confident, or have a friend with 100% enchant rate who's willing to foot the bill. Breaking stuff on 95% on low levels can kill your training momentum as you scramble for funds for a replacement.

11-22-2010   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Once more, I'd like to comment that my armor and weps are all quite good for an unfunded char, due to me using low leveling accessory crafting and mining to gather some money, but I'm not debating that anymore.

The tip about using DMP as a spring board to a better weapon is a VERY nice suggestion however. By the time people are capable, thats a very good money saving tip. Thanks for the comment.

Any comments on the guide itself?

11-22-2010   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

The guide itself?

Well, you've reached your goal of providing a basic idea of what new players should expect when choosing this class. Good for a comparison with other classes, but it doesn't give much help should they choose to play the class itself and want more info.

Might I suggest adding some GIF images of the skills so they know what you're talking about? Being new players and all, they won't know what to expect from the later skills - how it moves, how fast it executes, the range, number of hits etc. There's a thread here on how to make them.

11-23-2010   #11 (permalink)
SOC
"God is my Judge."
Special
Games
La TaleFinal Fantasy XIRagnarok OnlineMapleStory
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

SOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to SOC
IGN: Fortuleo
Class: Duelist/Judgement lt_gunslinger
Level: 142/152
Guild: GoldenDawn

As for the Rage/Concentration...

I've made two level 80 Warriors thus far. Both were two-hand sword. I used the same gear for both, did the same quests (well, I did a lot of new ones on the second because he was more recent than my first), did the same training spots (when I actually needed to grind) and plan on doing the same craft (except this one's going tech weapon while my first is battle, but that doesn't apply to Warrior :P) so I could find out exactly, for my self, how each one played out and if there was a true "better than the other." For Concentration, I skipped expert mastery. For Rage, I got expert mastery.

What I found out: Rage is "better" than Concentration, but only if you're very familiar with La Tale, have other high level characters to fund you, and are willing to bite the bullet in the 50s and and lower 60s of levels.

Pretty much what everyone's already said about them. Concentration lets you land more hits, but you sacrifice a buttload of damage in criticals. The base damage isn't too different, but there's a huge difference in your crits. Scar DOES help in later Warrior levels (75+) when you're doing Neo Navy, it'll actually kill a few of them depending on your gear setup. It helps a little bit when you first get it on Crabs during the 60s, but not as noticeable as it does on Neo Navy. This works great if you want a well-rounded character and want to level on a stable basis without much worry. Great for beginners.

The Rage tree is definitely something I recommend for players who are funded and geared already from other characters, and you know how to play La Tale. The accuracy problem is definitely an issue when you hit the 50s, because that's when the game starts being more demanding. You won't actually start lowering your accuracy until you start getting expert mastery, but the fact that you're not getting Concentration is starting to weigh in, because the mobs require higher accuracy to hit, and the 2h sword's low hit skills (as in, most of them are only 1 hit per skill) means you'll be doing quite a bit of missing. This is when you should consider physical accuracy gloves and weapon, and start paying attention to puzzles. This is also the perfect time to start getting critical damage gloves alongside your physical accuracy, which might cost a bit of money, and why I suggest doing this after you're familiar with La Tale and have funds. I was able to do it, but I got lucky with a lot of 95% enchants (and some below) which doesn't happen often. Should I have failed any, it would've been too costly for me to have gotten my gear back without outside funding or days of mining. The quest Ely wouldn't be enough to get the gear needed to be a decent Rage warrior. XD

But, the Rage warrior is overall better provided you can get your hands on some good accuracy. This means accuracy gloves/weapon and an Order guild. It will make the 65+ (particularly when you can start soloing Neo Navy, which I know is more like 73/74, but the 65+ levels really pick up) fly on by as you crush your enemies with terribly powerful criticals with Rage Explosion and expert mastery. I'm talking you do like... 400-500 normally, and 1.5k-3k with criticals. You just need the accuracy to back it up because a miss is 0 damage afterall, and 2h swords have a lot of 1 hit skills.

The only reason I was able to pull off the Rage tree well was because I was extremely lucky with item trade 2 and 95% enchants and upgrades. I did have to do some mining for Ely and materials for upgrading, but not much. I doubt a fresh brand new noob to La Tale would ever have the same luck, thus I recommend Concentration if you're new to La Tale, and Rage if you're already funded and know how to play La Tale extensively.

Last edited by SOC; 11-23-2010 at 10:48 AM.

11-23-2010   #12 (permalink)
aeiou
Special
Games
La TaleVindictusShattered GalaxyRagnarok Online
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

xdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to xdgr
IGN: xdgr
Class: dubbls lt_blader
Level: 70
Guild: Puella Magi

so yesterday I was graced with a rare opportunity to see someone use edge bounce + counter in pvp, which basically gave a brief amount of invincibility a la specter sword.

its cool down is quite fast too actually, quite useful if you could somehow invest points into them as a concentration build (though as with all skills, your mileage may vary). counter is like a templar's guard impact, but then it doesn't guarantee kb (though I was on a templar). that's just from a pvp point of view anyway

forgot to mention that maxing strength upgrade is unnecessary since strength doesn't do much to increase damage.

Last edited by xdgr; 11-23-2010 at 11:01 AM.

11-23-2010   #13 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Alright then. I'm starting to agree with everyone on some of their point's they've been making.

@Deadeye87: Adding some gifs would be an excellent idea. If I can find some spare time today, I'll try to get around to creating some.

@SOC: THANK YOU. That was exactly what I was looking for in terms of feedback. Someone's who's experienced both routes. I mention in my guide that Rage generally seems geared towards people with money, and thanks to you, I'm not so worried that I might've misinformed people by saying that. My own experience with Rage was around my mid 30's. I reset from Concentration to try out Rage + R. Explosion. I noticed that my accuracy loss was immediate, dramatic, and worth it to nail an enemy for roughly 800 damage(crit) at level 34.

@xdgr: The problem with Edge Bounce and Counter, is that to max both, you need 13 skill points total. On a Concentration build, Edge Bounce and Counter might be geared towards people who don't mind slowing their momentum a bit to observe habits of whatever they may be fighting. I actually had to invest a bit of time in figuring out how to make Edge Bounce/Counter a viable combo against Invoke and Hyunmu. Turns out that the best way to make it work is to lure them into noticeable patterns. IE Invoke (First Form) focuses on the tank of the group who just so happens to be me. TO avoid his fire breath I run under him. Now about 8 times out of 10, He'll follows this up with the Tail whip. Edge Bounce and counter turns that unproductive moment of time into a productive one, while avoiding damage I might have taken.

Thanks to everyone for their observations and tips. I'd like to hear more if anyone is willing to share. Once I can find some spare time, I'll get around to editing the guide a bit.