Class: Duelist lt_gunslinger
Level: 193
Guild: Aisuru
Default Massive Lag on new Laptop

My laptop specs:

2.5GB RAM
2.53 Ghz Processor (i5)
420M Nividia Graphics

Yet it still lags on my laptop. Like ridiculously evil lag. 1-2 second delay for anything I do. Yes, even typing.

My wireless router is online, and laptop is the only system connected. So why does it lag? What do I need to run LaTale smoothly?!

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
01-17-2011   #2 (permalink)
God
ggFTW Regular

God is on a distinguished road
IGN: GregoryL
Class: Saint / Psykicker lt_guardian
Level: 16x / 15x
Guild: No (Slightly Defunct), KaiogerkArmy (Still communicating with members), SEKIREI

I've been having slightly the same problem too. I think it started after the server maintenance last week. I've been lagging severely (I live in Florida, so it would kinda make sense that my latency isn't that great, but I've been able to play this game with 70+ ms) to the point where it's almost like I disconnected from the server. This happened 3 times yesterday. Also, I find d/cing at the screen when entering and/or exiting coli to be rather annoying.

01-17-2011   #3 (permalink)
after seeing Flay naked:
Games
La TaleDragon SagaGrand FantasiaMapleStory

LilPhenyl is a glorious beacon of lightLilPhenyl is a glorious beacon of lightLilPhenyl is a glorious beacon of lightLilPhenyl is a glorious beacon of lightLilPhenyl is a glorious beacon of lightLilPhenyl is a glorious beacon of light
IGN: Evey
Class: The Master Of Coli Pickle Sticks: Queen Weinerlooks
Level: 14X
Guild: TrueHeaven

I had the same exact problem for the past few weeks. I was wondering how I went from "As smooth as a laggy East Coaster can be" to HOLY F*** STOP USING BASIC ATTACKS THE ANIMATION LAGS MEEEEE!!!"

It turns out I totally forgot to turn on my GAME BOOSTER PROGRAM. Once I did, I was back to as good as I can get my connection to be. There's also a few other things I had to address over the years when I was getting laggy on my craptop. Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike:

Overheating may also be an issue with gaming - especially for laptops. So if you find the bottom getting too hot, that means your whole system will be under fire from this heated menace. If you can feel the heat whenever you touch the keyboard or top, then the cooling pad is LONG over do. In other words, invest in a GOOD COOLING PAD. Cooling pads also help your computer last a bit longer since it won't be constantly overheated after an hour of use. However, I'm sure this isn't a problem that you have (it's one that I have though, yippe!) In addition to that, when you're not using your laptop, turn it off. If you're going to be AFK in a game for more than 20 minutes, just turn it to "I'm not going to be AFK in the game at all because my computer will be off since I don't want it to burn out years earlier than it has to".

Then there's your router... It may need to be RESET. It's recommended to reset your router every month to make sure it runs at optimum efficiency... Though for some people, it has to be done weekly. Like, if you like, have like, a crappy, like router or like, some junk like that. If you have the option to have a direction connection with a LAN cable or something, you MIGHT wanna switch to that. Wireless is good and all, but it isn't consistent since almost anything can interfere with the connection. LAN is faster, so if you hit a slow patch, it'll have more than enough slack to overcome it. As for wireless, once the lag hits, it tends to stick around for a long time. That's just from my personal experience.

Lastly, you're using a laptop. It's basically a fact that server sided games + laptops = disaster. Integrated graphics (lol chipsets lol laptop "graphics cards" loooooool) so doesn't do the trick for anything that's over Maple Story/Wonder King/Ragnarok threshold in terms of graphics. Luckily you can change your setting to increase performance (yet decrease quality - which doesn't make much of a difference for LaTale's looks) to get the best out of that crappy little chip. You can also update certain drivers which may be why you're lagging. Doing this for 3D games will usually cut the quality in half, so be thankful it's only a 2D game here. >_>

Those where the things causing my game to lag, so you might be in the same boat. Or maybe it's something entirely different and my crappy 3-year-old-Toshiba-with-outdated-everything-and-VistAIDS happens to run better than some of the newer laptops. Then all I have to say is: SCHAAAAAAAADENFREUDE! MAKING ME FEEL GLAD THAT I'M NOT YOU! Best of luck to ya!

Last edited by LilPhenyl; 01-17-2011 at 01:41 PM.

01-17-2011   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan
Games
La Tale

Cinnamon will become famous soon enoughCinnamon will become famous soon enough
IGN: Shuuko

I don't mean to offend, but what exactly does the game booster program do?

Also, heating issues and graphics issue are definitely not at stake. I'm 100% sure of this.

I'll try directly using an Ethernet cable, thanks for the tip.

01-17-2011   #5 (permalink)
Wen
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Ragnarok OnlineLa TaleElsword

Wen is just really niceWen is just really niceWen is just really niceWen is just really niceWen is just really nice
IGN: Shikigami
Class: Minstrel lt_bard

@Fish
Are you using the net at home or at school?

And, have you tried doing disk defragment lately since a new laptop needs to install a lot of new programs, scattering files all over which will cause everything to be slow/sluggish over time even if it's /new/.

From the specs, your system should be able to handle LT without a problem.
I have a 3 gig RAM + T7250 @ 2.00GHz and using a wireless router and Latale runs smoothly w/o lag (sans the random lag spike that I get).

Next up: Jan 05 Update Review

01-17-2011   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan
Games
La Tale

I'm using the net at home. Figures. I hook it up to the router, and suddenly lag free.

Now, to pinpoint this issue, for those that are using wireless, what's your wireless provider?

I've been using AT&T(and their supplied Router). This issue was the same with all the computers in the house apparently, so obviously it's not a hardware issue.

01-17-2011   #7 (permalink)
ahhhhh wait
Special
Games
MabinogiDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon SagaDragon Nest
Awards Most Valuable DivisionAdmin AwardMost Valuable StaffMoM AwardWandering Eye

Sandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Sandrie
Class: ~ lt_sorcerer
Level: e

Wifi sucks for interweb gaming in general. It's especially bad if you have vista. It may or may not be an ISP problem, I derno. I personally don't have AT&T for an ISP so i can't say. But if it's fine if you use an ethernet cable I wouldn't think it's your ISP...?

/tech noob

01-17-2011   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan
Games
La Tale

Ah. Don't worry, I'm bad with tech as well. It's probably as you said, wifi being the issue. However, how much RAM do you have to run LT? LT(mainly XFire) seems to drain my GPU massively.

01-18-2011   #9 (permalink)
after seeing Flay naked:
Games
La TaleDragon SagaGrand FantasiaMapleStory

LilPhenyl is a glorious beacon of lightLilPhenyl is a glorious beacon of lightLilPhenyl is a glorious beacon of lightLilPhenyl is a glorious beacon of lightLilPhenyl is a glorious beacon of lightLilPhenyl is a glorious beacon of light
IGN: Evey
Class: The Master Of Coli Pickle Sticks: Queen Weinerlooks
Level: 14X
Guild: TrueHeaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinYin
I don't mean to offend, but what exactly does the game booster program do?
Game Booster shuts down all unnecessary background programs, thus freeing up a bit of RAM. If you're using Vista, it'll help lots. You usually free up 30~100mbs of ram, which may not sound like a lot... But you also have to consider that it's less things your computer has to worry about doing. On top of that it "boosts your game" which is another way to say "it makes your computer focus more on the game, meaning more resources, etc. for it to use when needed". So you may notice your computer running a TAD BIT more slowly when you're playing a game, but that's just the Game Booster doing its thing.

You could try to shut down the processes yourself, but with one click, Game Booster can do a better job than anyone ever could.

01-20-2011   #10 (permalink)
Needs more cute stuff
Games
La TalePangyaCabal Online
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardTwitter Fan

Manabi has a brilliant futureManabi has a brilliant futureManabi has a brilliant futureManabi has a brilliant futureManabi has a brilliant futureManabi has a brilliant futureManabi has a brilliant futureManabi has a brilliant futureManabi has a brilliant futureManabi has a brilliant futureManabi has a brilliant future
IGN: Manabi/Joxina/Fatechan
Class: RW/Blader/Bard lt_treasurehunter
Level: 175/107/111
Guild: ShiningRay / AnimeBlogger
Xfire: ManabiLT

There's always more latency (what you feel as lag) over wireless, just because it's slower than wired and subject to all kinds of possible interference. Add in the fact that La Tale as a whole is much more sensitive to latency than most MMOs and you have a recipe for frustration over wireless. Since it's fine wired the problem definitely isn't your ISP, although it could be the wireless portion of the router. Routers can flake out, and they don't always die at once. Sometimes just parts of them croak, so it's completely possible that the wireless parts are dying and the wired parts work fine. (I have an old router that works fine, except for the Internet port failed. You could conceivably make it a wireless access point that routes through another touer, but it's not really worth the effort.) It's not worth buying a new router to check really, unless you've seen other signs that the wireless is acting up.

Manabi (Level 177 RW), Mitsuki4k (Level 155 Engistar), Joxina (Level 141 Strider),
Fatechan (Level 141 Minstrel), Viitachan (Level 85 Templar)