ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   LaTale Tech Issues (http://ggftw.com/forum/latale-tech-issues/)
-   -   Lag Semi-Fix (http://ggftw.com/forum/latale-tech-issues/40666-lag-semi-fix.html)

Shugi 03-01-2009 06:54 AM

Lag Semi-Fix (Requires Regisitry Editing)

Do this at your own risk. Please follow all instructions thoroughly.
Most gamers have already done this at sometime... but this will improve the game play by a bit. For me this completely removed all the lag.

You are going to need to edit your registry.

First Do this
1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type into the box regedit and enter
4. There should be a box now move onto PART A.

PART A - TcpAckFrequency - The location you need to edit is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\
1. Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
2. Click SYSTEM
3. Click CurrentControlSet
4. Click Services
5. Click Tcpip
6. Click Parameters
7. Click Interfaces
8. There are going to be a lot of random numbers/letters here. They will look something like this {7DBA6EDA-FAE8-4002-A28F-4D2B57AE8094}.
9. Open up command prompt (look below for help)
10. Type in ipconfig/all
11. Now there should be a list of IP address and such
12. Go back to your regedit window and go through all the stuff there and see if you can find the one with the same information as the one in the command prompt window.
13. Now right click the area
14. Choose add new DWORD
15. Type in TcpAckFrequency (Case Sensitive)
16. Now right click the new entry
17. Click modify
18. Now change the value to 1 (default value is 2, basically deleting the entry)

PART B - TCPNoDelay - Location in you need to edit is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Paramet ers
If you cannot find the location it means you need to install the program. Microsoft Message Queuing
1. Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
2. SOFTWARE
3. Microsoft
4. MSMQ
5. Parameters
6. There should be a TCPNoDelay alreayd if not then do this:
a. Right click
b. Add DWORD
c. Name it TCPNoDelay (case sensitive)
d. Right click and modify to 1 (default is 2)
Command Prompt
1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type cmd

I hope this helps anyone, but it's not a permanent fix.

Make sure to restart your computer to see any difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazirusienca (Post 743386)
I figured out how to install MSMQ onto Vista if it doesn't have it.

START
RUN
Type CMD

In Command Prompt enter

ocsetup MSMQ-Container;MSMQ-Server;MSMQ-Triggers

That should run the optional program installer, and for me it ran in the background, it didn't show up but after a few minutes of waiting, i checked the REGEDIT and it was there.

Happy happy joy joy.

Setyroth 03-02-2009 04:27 AM

Maybe your setting will have an effect on lag but what I have is delay; those tricks wont work. =P

(I've tried them; entered the game only to find it full of lag)

*reverts registry back*

EDIT

If full-fix would mean something like removing that 20% bandwith limit windows reserves for itself, then no that will likely not help either I'm afraid. =(

Shugi 03-02-2009 01:03 PM

It should normally make it better, if it lagged even more that would mean you made a mistake somewhere or your connection can't handle it.

What this fix does is lets your computer send packets with absolutely no delay.

Setyroth 03-02-2009 05:51 PM

I never said it made it worse; and I do realise what its trying to do more then you think. I've had LaTale installed on different computers with different connections, considering how even after a update with a almost empty server the very annoying delay in controls is still there its obviously not related to how good the connection is but rather the fact those of us who have the problem are in Europe (or some other region far away from the server).

lovelyrosely 03-02-2009 05:53 PM

What if I cant find the same info from the cmd to the registry editor?

Shugi 03-02-2009 06:04 PM

Find the most similar ones.

The distance problem well cant really be resolved by any tweaks...

lazirusienca 03-03-2009 10:11 PM

Shugi, I'm finding that microsoft server program can't be set up on Vista. When I heard your from Canada, I rushed to this thread to try it out, if you have had success, maybe I could aswell.

I think if I was able to set it up like you have, and get on a strong good connection the lag would be gone, and delay halfed or gone. At my friends house (same town) the delay isn't as bad as it is here :S. Also after Part A, it feels a bit better but I can't really say for sure.

Any thoughts on Vista users, besides downgrading to XP

=P

Shugi 03-04-2009 01:42 PM

I'm using Vista. The microsoft message queuing should be pre installed on all vista machines. I don't know how to acquire it on vista if it's not already installed. =/

lazirusienca 03-04-2009 04:52 PM

I figured out how to install MSMQ onto Vista if it doesn't have it.

START
RUN
Type CMD

In Command Prompt enter

ocsetup MSMQ-Container;MSMQ-Server;MSMQ-Triggers

That should run the optional program installer, and for me it ran in the background, it didn't show up but after a few minutes of waiting, i checked the REGEDIT and it was there.

Happy happy joy joy.

Rie 03-04-2009 05:01 PM

Eh I Followed the guiide and it seemed to have worked on me @_@; Not Lagging anymore. But the Delay Remains. better than before i guess ;p thanks for posting this shugi.

citrustang 03-04-2009 09:24 PM

I'll give this a try. Thanks shugi! :py54:

Aura 03-08-2009 11:56 PM

Hm... finally tested this, as LaceyBun stated, the delay is still there. I live in US myself, on the east coast and yet I see some people from maine and flordia have better latency than me -_-. Really don't know how the delays works too much but, you'd seriously have to have some good connection and location to even do dash-and grab-ladders or skip ladders. I still get the same stupid delay lag glitch whenever I even attempt to dash for ladders. Even worse when I get wind walk casted on me and I try to grab ladders.

Fayt 03-09-2009 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aura (Post 749829)
Hm... finally tested this, as LaceyBun stated, the delay is still there. I live in US myself, on the east coast and yet I see some people from maine and flordia have better latency than me -_-. Really don't know how the delays works too much but, you'd seriously have to have some good connection and location to even do dash-and grab-ladders or skip ladders. I still get the same stupid delay lag glitch whenever I even attempt to dash for ladders. Even worse when I get wind walk casted on me and I try to grab ladders.

I'd really like to know what your connection speed is, seeing as how I live on the east coast myself with latency issues myself. Some other people from the east coast have no problems running and grabbing a ladder, as well as ladder skipping. I know for a fact that my super weak internet connection is causing me lag/latency, and it should clear up once I get an upgrade.

Aura 03-09-2009 11:24 AM

Well, I have verizon dsl, with the 7.1 Mbps plan, so yeah it should be quite enough for a game like this seeing as how I used to run 1.5mbps with other games that use up more graphics than this game. As stated by several GMs on their forums, its always some kinda distance issue.

Amanos 03-09-2009 12:03 PM

Could anyone from Europe , provide his experience with this guide ?.

Shugi 03-09-2009 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aura (Post 750219)
Well, I have verizon dsl, with the 7.1 Mbps plan, so yeah it should be quite enough for a game like this seeing as how I used to run 1.5mbps with other games that use up more graphics than this game. As stated by several GMs on their forums, its always some kinda distance issue.

Your router or computer connections aren't set up right. That's probably why you lag. I live further away from the server than you and I have the same connection as you.

Just wondering but are you using Vista + Wireless?

Aura 03-09-2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shugi (Post 750316)
Your router or computer connections aren't set up right. That's probably why you lag. I live further away from the server than you and I have the same connection as you.

Just wondering but are you using Vista + Wireless?

Using windows xp service pack 3, duo core 3ghz, 2gig ram, directly plugged into my router rather than using wireless. I can try and test to see if there's much of a difference between plugged into my router vs plugged into the modem itself to see if it makes any difference. However, as of yet, my laptop with wireless and my desktop directly plugged in seem to have the same issues without messing with any configurations (my laptop is a vista unfortunately).

Shugi 03-09-2009 07:29 PM

Ping google server please.

Open command prompt and type ping google.com, then post the results.

Teleclast 03-09-2009 09:31 PM

Thank you kind sir.

For anyone wondering, I'm running Vista 64-bit and it worked fine for me.

I live in Miami, Florida. It got rid of just about all my lag. There is still some, but it's very minimal, and I don't have the problems anymore between attacking, however I can't change between attacking and moving swiftly enough, but that is just a proble with most crap being server side, and nothing will really fix that short of them getting smart.

Manabi 03-10-2009 12:47 AM

This may help some people, but at least some of the lag problems are definitely on the server side. Channel 5 crashed a few hours ago while I was on it, ever since then I haven't been able to run + grab ladders. Before that channel crash I was doing so with no problems. This isn't the first time I've seen this happen either, I suspect the channel crashes are either causing serious server instability or it's some kind of serious server instability that causes the channel crashes. Either way it generally doesn't improve until they do the next update, which is probably cause the server gets rebooted then. Do note, I'm not saying don't try this, just pointing out that some of the issues aren't fixable by us, we have to hope OGP will fix the server too. :py14:

Another thing you can check for to help improve your lag: make sure nothing is doing any uploading while you're playing. Even if it's not using much bandwidth it can still cause horrible lag, the La Tale client is apparently extremely sensitive to upload latency. I discovered this because I use BackBlaze for backups and while it never causes issues in other games, with La Tale it does. I have to make sure I disable it on all my PCs while playing. Also you may experience problems with upload latency during peak traffic times if you're on cable. The way cable internet works there can be problems with upbound network capacity from your neighborhood. I see problems every day starting around 5pm once people get home from work. Fortunately I can generally still run + grab ladders but I can definitely tell when more people start using the Internet. :py25: