ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > MMO Games > LaTale > LaTale Character Types > LaTale Knights

Loong - The Power of the Dragon
Looking for a new MMO?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
12-28-2008   #1 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Morostide is on a distinguished road
IGN: Morostide
Class: Knight lt_templar
Level: 52
Question Knuckle Knights: Blast or Kick?

So, blast or kick, why, which is more expensive, which is stronger, which can mob better, whats your opinion?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
12-28-2008   #2 (permalink)
Benevolent Misfortune
Games
Ragnarok OnlineTrickster OnlineGunboundLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

Sanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud of
IGN: Sanichi
Class: Scholar
Level: 50
Guild: FrenchBread

Most people I know get both and skip punch.
But I believe kick is stronger but neither are noticeably more expensive than than the other.

/ / / Playing: DM

12-28-2008   #3 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Morostide is on a distinguished road
IGN: Morostide
Class: Knight lt_templar
Level: 52

So far im going with just kicks, im doing okay with that but im not really knowing which is better.. I dont like using more than one tree since I want to master alot of my other skills such as passive defense and the shout skills

Which has stronger mob abilities or wider range of attacks? such as how far does the attack spread around you. whats the AoE?

Last edited by Chesters; 01-07-2009 at 07:22 PM.

12-28-2008   #4 (permalink)
Benevolent Misfortune
Games
Ragnarok OnlineTrickster OnlineGunboundLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

Sanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud of
IGN: Sanichi
Class: Scholar
Level: 50
Guild: FrenchBread

Blast is probably the better mob since it has a longer range.
But kick can hit enemies behind you as well but they would have to be pretty close >>
But generally the AoE of both is to the front of you.

/ / / Playing: DM

12-28-2008   #5 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

PsalmsOfPlanets is on a distinguished road
IGN: PsalmsOfPlanets
Class: Wizard - Water/Heal
Level: 4x
Guild: EurekaSeven

I'm using all three trees, which is absolutely fun. Doing combos like 99+ and having fun with not using two skills over and over - priceless! This way it's getting more like some old school street fighter than boring grindlike mmorpg

12-28-2008   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
ElswordVindictusLeague of LegendsEden Eternal

Sephyrr has a spectacular aura aboutSephyrr has a spectacular aura about

Early Blasts do more damage. Later Kicks do more damage.
A mixture of both is great. Blasts will mob better, but Kicks gives you the ability to push enemies back.

I really suggest you get two skill paths. It makes playing less boring (more actives = fun). It also helps you level faster and use less potions.

You do not have to get Blast and Kick. You could get Punch and Kick...but I think you should really get Blast and one of the melee paths.

12-28-2008   #7 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

SomeRandomPoo is on a distinguished road
IGN: HeavensBlessing
Class: Templar lt_templar
Level: 95
Guild: Destiny

All of them can be used at low levels but you'll lose out on a lot of the misc skills.

Fist hits more than kick (not sure) but kick is win for running (cresent kick for those short ladders)

I used boom and kick, mainly because of the range @.@ (and final crash can be used for running lols)

12-28-2008   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
La TaleEden EternalDragon Nest

Lenono is on a distinguished road
IGN: ViradoPaulista
Class: Saint lt_guardian
Level: 17x
Guild: Infiniti

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsalmsOfPlanets
I'm using all three trees, which is absolutely fun. Doing combos like 99+ and having fun with not using two skills over and over - priceless! This way it's getting more like some old school street fighter than boring grindlike mmorpg
Doing That Is not a good Idea. You will lose a lot Misc Skills wich are Important

12-28-2008   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games

Default 3 paths?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenono
Doing That Is not a good Idea. You will lose a lot Misc Skills wich are Important
Which Misc Skills are important? Stamina Upgrade and Iron Armor. Those are the really important ones. Knuckle Knights get all accuracy masteries so those really aren't that important as level difference between you and the monster affects accuracy the most. I think it just comes down to personal preference.

Leave 20 skill points for Stamina Upgrade and Iron Armor.
Leave 5 points for Beginner Mastery.
Leave 45 Points for three paths.
You end up with 10 left. Weapon Blocking/Magic Armor.

It's pretty simple.

If you want the shout skills. You can put 5 into each. Bravery Shout though...IMO is not that great. It's like...a +5% max damage bonus, but you have to use 10 sp for it. Encouraging shout is much better.

Last edited by Sephyrr; 12-28-2008 at 10:38 AM.

12-28-2008   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
La TaleEden EternalDragon Nest

Lenono is on a distinguished road
IGN: ViradoPaulista
Class: Saint lt_guardian
Level: 17x
Guild: Infiniti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephyrr
Which Misc Skills are important? Stamina Upgrade and Iron Armor. Those are the really important ones. Knuckle Knights get all accuracy masteries so those really aren't that important as level difference between you and the monster affects accuracy the most. I think it just comes down to personal preference.

Leave 20 skill points for Stamina Upgrade and Iron Armor.
Leave 5 points for Beginner Mastery.
Leave 45 Points for three paths.
You end up with 10 left. Weapon Blocking/Magic Armor.

It's pretty simple.

If you want the shout skills. You can put 5 into each. Bravery Shout though...IMO is not that great. It's like...a +5% max damage bonus, but you have to use 10 sp for it. Encouraging shout is much better.
True Tho im more Biased to Defense Side =(

12-28-2008   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games

Default Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenono
True Tho im more Biased to Defense Side =(
I am too...seeing how I play my Templar more than my Knuckle Knight.

My templar does not even have Magic Armor though. I don't really find it that useful.

12-28-2008   #12 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

PsalmsOfPlanets is on a distinguished road
IGN: PsalmsOfPlanets
Class: Wizard - Water/Heal
Level: 4x
Guild: EurekaSeven

First of all - I'm not seeing knuckle knights as tankers. I'm seeing them as perfect solo killers, with stamina on level, which gives them possibility to not depend on others. While having skills from every trees, I can use top combo with highest dmg. Not like using lev 60 skill, then 40 lev skill, then 20 skill with lowest dmg. I can use lev 60 skill, then next lev 60 skill and then NEXT 60 lev skill and then some 40's. I'm finding this absolutely fun. (:

12-28-2008   #13 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games

Default Hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsalmsOfPlanets
First of all - I'm not seeing knuckle knights as tankers. I'm seeing them as perfect solo killers, with stamina on level, which gives them possibility to not depend on others. While having skills from every trees, I can use top combo with highest dmg. Not like using lev 60 skill, then 40 lev skill, then 20 skill with lowest dmg. I can use lev 60 skill, then next lev 60 skill and then NEXT 60 lev skill and then some 40's. I'm finding this absolutely fun. (:
Guardians do sub in though. Their stamina is great enough to sub in as a Tank, especially when the Templar needs a little breather.

With crazy Stamina, they do very well in Solo since they are offensive built. Their only real problem is damage. Personally, I think Knuckle damage needs to be upped a little for PvE (or PvM, Enviornment, Monster, whatever, same thing). Guardians burn SP like crazy and faster than Templars burn theirs (Guardians are faster attackers and use skills faster).

But, I have noticed many Guardians having problems training. The major problem for this is the lack of knowledge and experience. Almost all Knights go Sword to maximize experience gain since it will get anyone to Guardian faster. If anyone remembers Cease from the forums, he just switched from Sword Knight to Guardian and is having a lot of trouble with mobs (he's mobbing as if he was a Sword Knight again).

But even with knowledge, mobbing is still hard for Guardians. My friends who have been knuckle for life and just made Guardian have a lot of trouble. The answer lies of course, in the shield. The shield knocks off about 50-80 damage per attack (depending on how good it is). It doesn't seem like much, does it? We know how DoT works for us and our damage output. But, how does it work against us?

Assuming you're trying to take a mob of 8 crabs, Trenches, Hummingbirds, etc, you are getting hit for an average of 400-640 (50-80 * 8 enemies) more damage when you get hit by all of them without the shield.

The secret to being the Killing Solo Machine?

To be a perfect Solo Killer like PsalmsOfPlanets, you need to move. If you started as a Sword Knight or even if you've played Knuckler until now, you need to constantly move. Moving reduces damage like crazy and if you play enough, you will be good enough to maintain combo. Air skill constantly, especially when your kick requires it. When you land, consider pushing back enemies until you kill them or can take to the air again. Blasts are a nice way to get a mob riled up, but then take to the air and when you land, push them back with more kicks or fists if you have them.

Knuckles are very fun, almost too fun. Unique with the ability to take three paths in one weapon. I recommend starting with two. If you find yourself needing another attack skill, add it in. But really, using one skill path does not maximize the potential of the Guardian, and standing still while fighting makes it a steep uphill climb.

12-28-2008   #14 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

RealChill is on a distinguished road

Lol a one tree Guardian = a Fail Guardian, it's the truth. It's common sense especially for knucklers to move because our skills makes us to move. Anyways, I went with two trees as a Knuckle Knight so...which tree is better? None, you'll need them both unless you plan to party your whole time.

12-29-2008   #15 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Regular

Kirbical will become famous soon enough
IGN: Kirbical
Class: Warrior lt_warlord
Level: lvl 40-50
Guild: truelove

can the punch branch really help chain combos? and if so how do you keep a knuckle combo with those skills?

Random question: how well can a knucke knight fair against mobs like crabs and stars if they have iron armor maxed

Click if you dare!

12-30-2008   #16 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Regular

Cease is on a distinguished road

I'll elaborate.

This is how I used to train with my Knight: I'd jump onto a platform, walk to the other end and then kill the monsters. Doing this made the monsters stack up neatly, and when I started killing them, I would have a really big mob. Really big. And this is, I believe, the most correct and natural way for a Knight or Templar to work-- it maximizes their combo and therefore their exp.

Now, as Angel pointed out, I no longer have a shield, so I'm taking almost three times more damage. This is unacceptable. Guardians do not work like this. Stacked mobs mean you're really just fighting a really big monster instead of several small ones. Essentially, what you want to do is take them a few at a time, preferably somewhere between four and six monsters at once (compared to over 10 as a Knight). So, as a Guardian, I quickly realized that I'm better off fighting my way to the other end of the platform and then move on, instead of walking past them and turning around. It's much easier to carry a combo around the map with a Guardian as compared to a Knight, and it better be, because we can't just rack up a huge one over and over with big mobs the way Templars can.

So, problem corrected and I'm on my merry way.

The other thing Angel pointed out about Guardians is the fact that they drink SP like it's water. This is totally incorrigible. Naturally they'll waste more SP. The problem does not lie in the fact that they use skills more often, or that the skills cost more SP. They don't, not by much. The problem is that they have triplicates of all their skills, whereas Templars have one of every skill. Imagine using Sonic Blade three times, or Death Blow three times, etc. I think this is going to be a problem right up until level 90, when I get new potions. I can deal with it. Terribly annoying, though. Sometimes I run out of SP while my potions are recharging.

As for getting only one skill tree with a Guardian... don't. Despite the fact that I'm wasting more SP, and even considering the fact that this is costing me quite a bit of skill points right now, I'll still have it no other way other than all skills. That is how a Guardian is supposed to work. And keep in mind that Guardian skills have below-average cooldowns. You won't be able to keep a combo going with only 6 skills-- and the fact that you don't have a shield means that using your normal attack in a mob is out of the question-- you will get flinch-locked into oblivion. My build is going to get all 12 skills-- but will only master 7 right away. This way, I use the same amount of skill points as a person dropping one skill tree, but have more skills to use, therefore having more damage output overall. Consider: will having Energy Boom, Final Crash, and Dragon Kick (skills that have ridiculously high cooldowns) maxed increase your DoT more than having The Fist, Hell Fist, Chulsango, and Twin Fist to use, on top of having the other three, albeit not maxed? Again, consider this: Chulsango, Crescent Kick, and Energy Boom all have enough cooldown that I can't use them even after using all my other skills-- and I have 6 other skills. Add to this the fact that all Guardian skills chain together as if they were in the same tree (the words 'combo' pop up for all of them), and you have a winning combination. All Guardians should shoot for Max Speed as soon as possible. 20% evade and 30% speed is nothing to scoff at!

But if you must skip a tree! Skip the beam tree. Kick and punch do their things (single target, mobbing) more effectively than the beam tree does either, so you're effectively cutting off an arm when you're dropping one of those two (kick or punch). I have no nice things to say about the beam tree-- it's only there as a filler, as far as I'm concerned. And yes, kick and punch got a big upgrade for Guardian. Kick hits as hard as beam single target now, but faster, and punch just plain hits harder than beam on mobs now. Honestly, Chulsango II is my strongest skill thus far-- it can critical for 1900, and it's faster than Energy Boom, and still level one.

As for damage, yes, I can honestly say that my damage is almost on par with all the other classes I have seen, no joke-- and I'm using the Sphinx set for defense, with no stats on it, I'm using my level 76 knuckle because OGP consists of hairy-nippled gorillas who can't be bothered to fix the upgrade bug, and I haven't gotten around to restatting with Guardian stats. Guardians are strong. I can't speak for later on, as other classes fill out their misc. trees, but right now, I'm at least as strong offensively as the next guy. Don't compare our skills to first job skills-- they're more than that. Flame Kick 2 is more than Break or Bamboo Cutter, almost as much as WBreak or DTail-- and this goes for all of my skills, and I have many of them. And don't, for the love of all that is sacred, compare Guardian skills to knuckle skills-- they are nowhere near the same thing. Knuckle skills are a joke in comparison... becoming a Guardian has thought me that more than anything else. So don't despair of your damage when you choose Guardian. You do get enough. It does not make the defense loss go away, though, I doubt anything but game-breaking damage will.

Last edited by Cease; 12-30-2008 at 05:37 PM.

01-02-2009   #17 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Blade & SoulDragon NestDragon SagaDungeon Fighter Online

Byuu is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Byuu Send a message via Skype™ to Byuu
IGN: Byuu
Class: Lots lt_guardian
Level: 20-30
Guild: Hurricane

As someone who has played a Knuckle KNight for 70 level i have found that tanking is not so hard. i am usully the sub-in if the templar in out guild isnt online or around atm. i seem to just as good as a job as him only difference is he gets flinched less than me. but i find that if you are going to be a sub tank as a gaurdian unless you wanna die fast shield is a must. Gaurdian tanks should really attack much unless you want to burn alot of pots, if you are a gaurdian and is being used as a tank then just couch back and enjoy the dmg cause attacking is almost definatly a no no if you are fighting a strong boss.

BYUU BYUU!~

01-02-2009   #18 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Vioded is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Vioded Send a message via Skype™ to Vioded
IGN: zekiel0
Class: templar lt_templar
Level: 110
Guild: Nutmeg, Hobos
Xfire: vioded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morostide
So, blast or kick, why, which is more expensive, which is stronger, which can mob better, whats your opinion?
This is my answer from experience:
kicks is for combos
fist is the strongest but kind of slow
blast is in between

01-02-2009   #19 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games

Default Hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackoria
This is my answer from experience:
kicks is for combos
fist is the strongest but kind of slow
blast is in between
Don't forget. Blast has much longer range than kicks and fists.

Kicks - Fastest.
Blasts - Longest.
Fist - Strongest.

01-12-2009   #20 (permalink)
MMOG Lurker

Dattyboy4916 is on a distinguished road

i just became a guardian two days ago and this is what i learned, similar to what cease said.

just getting kicks and beams as a guardian=eek. comboing was a real pain in the butt for me, and using norm attacks really did send me into flinch oblivion.
so i kinda got some cash from various places (mining inflation is heaven) and then i resetted to a very odd build which most of you will not like me for.

I got all the masteries up to lvl 9 expert mastery. and maxed out ALLLLLLLLLL ATTACK SKILLSSSSSSSS. i have 0 misc. skills.

Sure you'd think that i have horrible survivability but i really don't. I die a LOT less now than when i was before as a kicks + beams. my KB is top notch, but maybe that's just cuz i have really nice gold rings xD (woot for hunting that tengu)

if anyone has the money, try this build, it really isn't all that bad, and who knows, it could turn into a slightly mainstream one

also, i'll try to show you the dmg increase between my skills. level 1 and 2
these are all 1v1, non-crit
flame kick 1:350-450
flame kick 2:750-850
wind kick 1:150-180(per hit)
wind kick 2:450-530(per hit)
crescent kick:700-800(maxed)
crescent kick 2:1.4-1.6k(level 1!)
sonic boom:400-500
sonic boom2:800-950
aero boom:175-200(per hit)
aero boom 2:450-530(per hit)
energy boom1:800-900
energy boom2:1.4k-1.6k

i didnt have fist skills be4 cuz the dmg is so abysmal for all the skills i need misc skills >.<

hope this helped a few people~