IGN: SMEXIA
Class: Meister lt_blader
Level: 145
Guild: ShiningRay
Default Be careful~

as you may know, I, VIRAL, played CBT AND OBT with the IGN: VIRAL

as some may have noticed, my guild was LuckyStar in obt

---

When i made my character today, the name VIRAL was taken, so i made a char named Smex

i dont know what is going on, but there may be impersonators out there lol. my guild leader, GUE55 (in OBT)'s ign was also taken...as well as a couple other LuckyStar Members. I do not know if this is pure coincidence, but i heard something about impersonators(idk rly -.-).

So before you even think of Pming "VIRAL" and giving "VIRAL" the money you owed him from OBT or gifts or whatnot. That's not me =D

VIRAL MOG is now =/= VIRAL
VIRAL MOG = SMEX ( my name in Seal Online)

yadayadayadaaaa

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
09-18-2008   #2 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

qooo is on a distinguished road

ah that sucks

Qoo - Warrior
Caramel - lvl 63 sheep
IceCream - lvl 142 lion

09-18-2008   #3 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineEden EternalMapleStoryRagnarok Online

Kusuriuri has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Kusuriuri Send a message via Skype™ to Kusuriuri

Lol impersonators? Are you kidding me? Ever think other people may have wanted the username for themselves, not to 'impersonate' :x

モノノ怪

09-19-2008   #4 (permalink)
cheese on a stick

Globalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Globalastro Send a message via MSN to Globalastro Send a message via Yahoo to Globalastro Send a message via Skype™ to Globalastro
IGN: Globby (Wonderking)
Class: Wizard lt_mage
Level: 4x
Guild: Prinny doods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodVeil
Lol impersonators? Are you kidding me? Ever think other people may have wanted the username for themselves, not to 'impersonate' :x
could be, but there are Screen shots of luckystar and its members floating around and the fact that viral and gue55 were taken on the first day makes it fishy, on top of that, viral mentions that others have mentioned impersonators. now i was not in luckystar but i was also in cbt and obt, my friends list was pretty big and my name has to this day, never been taken in any game i have played other than a couple japanese games i tried, so if my name is taken when i get to the library tomorrow after work, then ill agree that there are imposters

ugh, crappy phone, t-9 that comes and goes as it pleases and timmy at 4am= imminant posting failure

Last edited by Globalastro; 09-19-2008 at 12:54 AM.

09-19-2008   #5 (permalink)
He who laughs, lasts.
Games
Loong - The Power of the DragonLeague of LegendsProject BlackoutCabal Online
Awards Pervert Award

Crave is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Crave
IGN: Cravey#1907
Guild: DiabloTalk

Yeh bro, I seen this guy running around. I was confused cause it looked nothing like you. He had blond hair instead of black but I guess the rest was similar. I tried talking to him and asked him some stuff but he never answered, he also denied a buddy request. So I think he/she's just acting out of anger or something.

09-19-2008   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Leenalia has a spectacular aura aboutLeenalia has a spectacular aura about
IGN: Viola
Class: Rena to_librarian
Level: 60
Guild: PrinnyMages

If someone took the name Leenalia in this game I would be furious. Even if I do not have the name in this game (first ever MMO that I didn't use the IGN Leenalia), no one should take it for the sole reason that this username I have has been copywritten 6 years ago.

09-19-2008   #7 (permalink)
Punching Bag

Skwie is an unknown quantity at this point
IGN: Skwie
Class: Money lt_treasurehunter
Guild: Kirameki

Viral is the name of a popular anime character.
You should expect names like that to be taken very soon.
I actually thought of making a knuckle knight named Viral just for the hell of it during CB.

09-19-2008   #8 (permalink)
cheese on a stick

Globalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Globalastro Send a message via MSN to Globalastro Send a message via Yahoo to Globalastro Send a message via Skype™ to Globalastro
IGN: Globby (Wonderking)
Class: Wizard lt_mage
Level: 4x
Guild: Prinny doods

Lemon, Honey, How the helldo you copyright a username??? I'd love to know even though if i were to try to copyright Globalastro, I'd probably be sued by my favorite japanese group

09-19-2008   #9 (permalink)
LolWut?

TehAwesomo is on a distinguished road

lolz good thing tehawesomo isn't a famous name xD

09-19-2008   #10 (permalink)
nɹ!ɯǝpu!ɥs uǝdd!

KouNeeSama will become famous soon enough
IGN: "BlancNeige" / "MeowTan"
Class: Sorceress / $$$
Level: 115 / 72
Guild: Cookies

mine were taken too..

09-19-2008   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalastro
Lemon, Honey, How the helldo you copyright a username??? I'd love to know even though if i were to try to copyright Globalastro, I'd probably be sued by my favorite japanese group
Just like you copyright anything on the internet, make some work on it and so on. Leenalia, the username, not only is for my MMO's but also used for important informations like Photobucket, Paypal, Xanga, etc. Also, the name Leenalia is in my character bios, drawings, fanfictions, and so on and it has been in there for years. If someone was to be stupid enough to use my name without my permission and SOMEHOW gain access to my password, I can sue them for identity theft and watch them get arrested lol. I used the name "Leenalia" in such a way that it practically associates with my real name Monica, they go hand in hand and if anyone tries to impersonate me, they have a lawsuit against them by me....because they are literally stealing my identity.

09-21-2008   #12 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

Avarice is on a distinguished road
IGN: Ricecake
Class: Temple Knight lt_templar
Level: 5x
Guild: Debaters

....no.

First off, the probability that someone probably just used the name because it was common is very high.

Besides that, if it was an intentional, "oh hey that name looks cool," or, "lol i'm going to piss this person off," then there isn't much you can do about it. You can't put a lawsuit up against someone for stealing a pseudonym you planned on using for an online game. Now if they somehow managed to get your account and password information, then legal action can be taken, but the probability of someone being able to somehow figure out your nickname, account name, and password is extremely low.

Avarice, AKA ByakuyaZ.

09-21-2008   #13 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Rusty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenalia
If someone took the name Leenalia in this game I would be furious. Even if I do not have the name in this game (first ever MMO that I didn't use the IGN Leenalia), no one should take it for the sole reason that this username I have has been copywritten 6 years ago.
I hate to tell you, but you can't copyright a name.

Just because you use it on silly sites like facebook or myspace or whatever doesn't make it special.

Also, this is a game, if someone were to use it anywhere, in any game, you would most likely fail to win a case against them.

What you're saying is basically I can sue anyone for using the name Rusty, since I've had it for ages, right?

Well, it sucks for that guy in IRC who is always using my registered nick Rusty.

It also sucks for anyone who creates Rusty on a site or game that comes out in the future from now.

Wrong.

You can't sue someone for using a name.

You did mention if someone were to gain access to your name somewhere and impersonate you, then maybe you could have a chance in a lawsuit, but not if someone were to just use THE name (note: not YOURS) in a game or forum, you have no chance against them if they're not pretending to be you.

Quote:
To enforce a copyright in U.S. federal court, it must first be registered, as proof of ownership, and a copy deposited with the Library of Congress. Copyrights registered early do have the benefit of certain statutory fines, if an infringement is proven.
WikiAnswers - How do you copyright something

Copyrighting names, lol.

Thats like Paris Hilton, or whoever trying to copyright a word. xD

By the way, saying its copyrighted to instill fear fails.

You're only asking people to use your name now.

09-21-2008   #14 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

No seriously, I do have a case. If someone were to look up my username they will my infomation like my real name, age, etc. I use that username in conjuction with my real name. Using that name is basically telling people that "hey I'm Monica A. I live here, and I do this, yada yada"...that's identity theft right there.

09-21-2008   #15 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Rusty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenalia
No seriously, I do have a case. If someone were to look up my username they will my infomation like my real name, age, etc. I use that username in conjuction with my real name. Using that name is basically telling people that "hey I'm Monica A. I live here, and I do this, yada yada"...that's identity theft right there.
Identity theft is when someone steals your identity.

Just using a name doesn't make something identity theft.

Even if they pretend to be you, you won't get anywhere in court.

The only real way it would be considered identity theft was if they actually stole your life, such as social security number, credit card information and that sort of jazz.

Even if they were pretending to you, it isn't identity theft otherwise.

People pretend to be Elvis, thats not identity theft.

And again, if they are just using the name without knowing anything about you, that is a case light years away from being identity theft.

If you're just worried about someone mistaking you for someone using the name Leenalia, the Leenalia would most likely do something to indicate they are not the same person.

In Mabinogi, I was Sai, and in some private servers I was Ping, and I've been mistaken for other beings who have used those names before.

That doesn't mean I stole their identity.

=========================

This is all off topic, as the topic is about MMO impersonators, not identity theft.

If we could refrain from continuing this conversation, that would be for the best.

I also apologize for continuing the conversation myself, as I didn't have to post again, or at all to begin with.

Thank you for any cooperation and understanding.

Last edited by Rusty; 09-21-2008 at 07:26 PM.