ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > MMO Games > LaTale > LaTale Fandom > LaTale Fanfiction & Fanart

Elsword
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
10-03-2010   #1 (permalink)
Wen
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Ragnarok OnlineLa TaleElsword

Wen is just really niceWen is just really niceWen is just really niceWen is just really niceWen is just really nice
IGN: Shikigami
Class: Minstrel lt_bard
Default Art tips + tutorials (not mine)

Anyway, like the title side, anything posted below the dashed lines are NOT mine and are simply copy & pasted from another forum/message board on a site I play. A good friend of mine wrote it (elloi @ dA) and I think this guide is very helpful for Latale people who wish they could draw better.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mind you, this is for you to build your own style, and for the sake of art, become a better artist. This includes reading, there are no shortcuts to becoming a good artist, no magic brushes/pencils. Do your homework, spend the hours, and you'll eventually improve. Most of it isn't fun. On that note, anything that could be learned at an art school can be found online.

GUIDE, links, etc

Quote:
Warning: These [anatomy] links contain nudity (drawn, not actual real naked people). So yes 8D there'd naked drawn people, and posemaniacs is basically what you see in a bio class - a big person made up of muscles who's also naked.
**Male human proportions.
The way it's distributed into 'heads' apply to both men and women. (e.g: knee-level is six 'heads' down. these are the sections that divide the body in that image)

**More proportions - with links to females. Alignment and proportions of the human face also given.

for those who think it's TL;DR:
- eyes are mid-level of head.
- top of ear starts at eyebrow level
- bottom of ear ends at tip of nose

On that note, please do read it. it'll help you.

**Head Patterns
**Body Types

***Hands tutorial 1 / good hands tutorial / More hands and feet tutorials.

What is realism? Look around you. It's you, it's that cup you drink water from, it's your house, your pet, the TV in their REAL, inch by inch, detail by detail identity. There is nothing more realistic than your face. Its proportions, the placement of things within it. Not even a realistic portrait such as THIS ONE will always get all those little things right, but it's as close to realistic as you'll get from someone who hasn't studied this all her life (kudos to janaschi for being so amazing). Anything else short of almost photographic representation of an object, an animal, or a human is NOT realism.

And the only way you'll learn it is by drawing, repeatedly, until your fingers bleed, those things around you. You don't need a model when you can model for yourself. Draw your own hands, your own feet, knees, do self portraits. Draw those objects around you. You'll never know how hard a nose is to draw until you actually try one.

--------

Books:
*** good read.
**** recommended.
***** Highly recommended.

****Perspective made Easy - By Norling - password if they ask for it: www[dot]argentofull[dot]com[dot]ar (replace [dot] with actual dots)

***** All books by Andrew Loomis
On perspective, anatomy, drawing, composition. you think it up, he's talked about it.
A book all pro's go to.
***** Constructive Anatomy - by George Bridgman
One of his many books, and just as good.
Also a book you'll find professionals referencing.

****Posemaniacs - 3D versions of the human body with interactive flash for you to switch their angles.
Both male and female. Very helpful referencing.
They also have hands...somewhere there.

-------------------------------

URLs:

Recommended, but it includes reading.
@@@ - Everything you'd possibly want to find out about, compiled all here.

Lurk, yes, lurk. A lot of the info there you can easily pick up without having to sign up for the forums. If you're serious about art, or digital art, I recommend you sign up and go through the sketchbooks on that website. I've been on it for years, and it's an amazing source of information in general. A lot of professional artists in the gaming/concept art/movie and television industries are there. And they're willing to help.

@@@ -- ImagineFX workshops - an amazing library of tutorials compiled by the CG art magazine from the best artists out there.
They're PDF files! so make sure you've got adobe reader.

@@@ -- Linda Bergkvist's Furiae tutorials

@@@ -- Blending and painting with photoshop - Simple, basic, yet amazingly informative.

@@@ -- Great tutorial - Sam Liu's tut - Great read.

Some of these are advanced. Actually, a lot are. But don't get discouraged.
Reading up on what they have to say won't hurt you as an artist, but don't try to create a massive sci-fi landscape with creatures and all, and heavy machinery, if you don't know how to draw a tree, a chicken, and a bolt/screw properly first. Don't jump the gun.
It is tempting to do everything out there from the beginning, without learning first the basics.

---------------
For those who like anime/other type of drawings
Not all of us like realism (although learning the basics helps anyway), so here's some for you, too:

&&& - Cell-shading tutorial
&&& - How to use the pen-tool // another lineart tut
&&& - Cleaning up scanned lineart if you're too lazy to do the pen-tool
&&& - Soft-shading tutorial (great walk-through, you'll have to download through the link provided)
&&& - Copic Marker tutorial / Copic Marker tutorial by toounit // Copic marker tutorial by ecthelian

-----------------------
Traditional artwork!

yes, XD i love this, even though i dont do it enough.

+++ - Pencil tutorial
+++ - amazing watercolor tutorial (and go through his gallery damnit XD *total shameless plug of friend*)

Other good books for reference and reading
I went through my bookshelf..if you guys have any good books
feel welcome to link us to them.

@@@ -- Comicker's coloring book -- with tutorials inside.

@@@ - The big fat book of watercolor basics

@@@ - Perspective! for comic book artists - it describes perspectives through an actual comic. its very entertaining to read and guides you step by step with pictures of this one character learning perspective.

@@@ - reference - Artist's photo reference - wildlife

@@@ - reference - Treasury of flower designs

@@@ - I recommend every aspiring artist reads this - Art & Fear: Observations On the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking

Excerpt: MAKING ART IS DIFFICULT. We leave drawings unfinished and stories unwritten. We do work that does not feel like our own. We repeat ourselves. We stop before we have mastered our materials, or continue on long after their potential is exhausted. Often the work we have not done seems more real in our minds than the pieces we have completed. And so questions arise: How does art get done? Why, often, does it not get done? And what is the nature of the difficultires that stop so many of us who start?

.... Those who would make art might well begin by reflecting on the fate of those who preceded them; most who began, quit. It's a genuine tragedy. Worse yet, it's an unnecessary tragedy. After all, artists who continue and artists who quit share an immense field of common emotional ground. (Viewed from the outside, in fact, they're indistinguishable.) We're all subject to a familiar and universal progression of human troubles - troubles we routinely survive, but which are (oddly enough) routinely fatal to the art making process. To survive as an artist requires confronting these troubles. Basically, those who continue to make art are those who have learned how to continue - or more precisely, have learned how not to quit.

---------------------------------------------

Those of us with our limited knowledge are here to help, and so are those links up there.

These tutorial are for reference, but remember not to follow every stroke to the dot of the i. otherwise, it'll become a crutch rather than help. They're there to share knowledge, not for you to try and create copies of someone else's style.

For more links and references, go here:
Library Reference - Artistshospital @ DA.

Relevant Links!:
What-I-Do-is-Secret on Deviantart - Gallery of his resources
ImagineFX Magazine
ConceptArt Forums
----------------------

Next up: Jan 05 Update Review

Last edited by Wen; 10-03-2010 at 11:07 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
10-04-2010   #2 (permalink)
Virakin of Darkness
Games
La Tale

VirusChris will become famous soon enoughVirusChris will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to VirusChris
IGN: ChrisYuushi
Class: Strider lt_blader
Level: 19x
Guild: VirakinWarriors (Guild Master)

Very nice! I will use these to improve myself!

Thanks for posting this! ^_^

10-04-2010   #3 (permalink)
aeiou
Special
Games
La TaleVindictusShattered GalaxyRagnarok Online
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

xdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to xdgr
IGN: xdgr
Class: dubbls lt_blader
Level: 70
Guild: Puella Magi

ohh, an art resource thread? that's a first, for this forum anyway.

10-04-2010   #4 (permalink)
Wen
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Ragnarok OnlineLa TaleElsword

Wen is just really niceWen is just really niceWen is just really niceWen is just really niceWen is just really nice
IGN: Shikigami
Class: Minstrel lt_bard

I figured I'd share the links since it wasn't readily available outside the site (you'd need to be a member etc). I really liked the anatomy links since they were very helpful for me at times when I wasn't sure about some parts when I'm drawing. O:
The hand/fingers tutorials were very helpful too imo.
/o/

Next up: Jan 05 Update Review

10-04-2010   #5 (permalink)
I got bored.
Games
La TaleMapleStoryCosmic BreakElsword

Lime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: BelleGlacier
Class: Trap Highlander lt_warlord
Level: 195
Guild: Luminary

Q_______Q

ily wen Q_Q_Q_Q_Q_Q -click click bookmark click-

10-04-2010   #6 (permalink)
Takamina=waifu material
Games
Iris OnlineLegend of EddaLa Tale

Bacon is a jewel in the roughBacon is a jewel in the roughBacon is a jewel in the roughBacon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Bacon
IGN: Bacon
Class: Cleric
Guild: Hello Gangster

Bookmarked also. Thanks wen!

10-04-2010   #7 (permalink)
aeiou
Special
Games

xdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to beholdxdgr is a splendid one to behold

^ you don't even draw anymore !

10-05-2010   #8 (permalink)
Takamina=waifu material
Games

Bacon is a jewel in the roughBacon is a jewel in the roughBacon is a jewel in the roughBacon is a jewel in the rough

I draw Draw.

10-05-2010   #9 (permalink)
aeiou
Special
Games

900THDAWG

I actually thought you draw pretty gud with mspaint ..

10-05-2010   #10 (permalink)
Takamina=waifu material
Games

I will become better with these guides!

10-06-2010   #11 (permalink)
./Queet
Games
La TaleAngels OnlineAuditionDofus

Aubree will become famous soon enoughAubree will become famous soon enough

Can't wait to see your failure future master pieces ./fangirl
i admire your work sooo much 8'D