ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Homework Help (http://ggftw.com/forum/homework-help/)
-   -   Why does vomiting happen during pneumonia? (http://ggftw.com/forum/homework-help/87290-why-does-vomiting-happen-during-pneumonia.html)

k0n 12-04-2010 08:26 PM

Why does vomiting happen during pneumonia?

It's not really a homework or anything. I was researching about the pathophysiology of pneumonia and stumbled on reports of vomiting occurring while having pneumonia. I've tried to search of any internet articles about it, but it seems too time-staking for me at the moment since the keywords I've used don't seem to get the results the first time.

Can anyone tell me if vomiting is due to the gag reflex of coughing while eating and having pneumonia or is there some other reason why this occurs?

YenSai 12-04-2010 08:52 PM

I had pneumonia.. a long time ago but i still remember it
It wasn't from the gag reflex from coughing,
Pneumonia makes your stomach hurt really bad lol..
I threw up A LOT when I had it.. It was the sickest I've ever been
Everything hurts and it's SO painful just to move..And stomach hurting
& vomiting only make it 10000x worse..
But to answer your question, I have no idea why people vomit while they have
Pneumonia..

Red 12-04-2010 09:21 PM

I had pneumonia the morning after my prom party. In other words, I drank and had a bad hangover + pneumonia. Both of them are supposed to make you vomit, but surprisingly I didn't vomit at all. I also didn't have any 'gag reflex'.

Maybe it's the gag reflex that causes vomiting. Since I didn't have that, I didn't vomit.

/my hypothesis

Kudaranai 12-04-2010 09:30 PM

'cause your body is trying to get rid of the bad crap ;_;

I don't know for sure, but that'd be my guess.

and omg, I was googling pneumonia and vomiting and this thread shows up on the first page. :psyduck:

k0n 12-06-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeautyDisaster (Post 1416637)
Spoiler!

The problem with your answer is that you're vomiting because your stomach is worsen. Pneumonia happens in the lungs (symptoms are difficulty of breathing/pain when breathing, coughing, fever, cyanosis, hypoxia and vomiting) . What you're talking about is called acute gastroenteritis (a medical way of saying stomach flu).

Now I know they're both form due to bacteria, virus or fungi so it's probaby possible to pass the bacteria from one system to the other, but when it's strictly occurring in the lungs, how does vomiting occur?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red (Post 1416670)
Spoiler!

That could be true, but when I mention the gag reflex, I'm talking about coughing while eating or digestion something. Though heavy coughing can cause regurgitation (since there were no toxins (unless you consider the alcohol the toxin, lol).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kudaranai (Post 1416674)
Spoiler!

Yeah, I'm having difficulties in finding the answer x.x

YenSai 12-07-2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k0n (Post 1417769)
The problem with your answer is that you're vomiting because your stomach is worsen. Pneumonia happens in the lungs (symptoms are difficulty of breathing/pain when breathing, coughing, fever, cyanosis, hypoxia and vomiting) . What you're talking about is called acute gastroenteritis (a medical way of saying stomach flu).

It's not acute gastroenteritis..The doctors at the hospital told me it was Pneumonia..WITH the vomiting it did hurt to breathe, it hurt my ribs and coughing made my whole head bulge and my ribcage feel like it was going to explode.

k0n 12-07-2010 07:21 AM

Really? Can you tell me a little more about the stomach problem? Did you had LBM/diarrhea during that time? Or was your stomach problem due to coughing really hard? I spoke with another peer and she said it's probably due to the bacteria affecting the epiglottis. I'm not sure still :s

YenSai 12-07-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k0n (Post 1418265)
Really? Can you tell me a little more about the stomach problem? Did you had LBM/diarrhea during that time? Or was your stomach problem due to coughing really hard? I spoke with another peer and she said it's probably due to the bacteria affecting the epiglottis. I'm not sure still :s

No I did not have LBM/diarrhea during it..not that I can remember anyways..It wasn't due to coughing. Whenever I felt like I needed to throw up, I did..lol I didn't cough then throw up..My guess would be bacteria, or my body trying to get rid of the bacteria..
While it wasn't from coughing then throwing up, I may have coughed then a short bit after it may have upset my stomach and then caused me to vomit..I'm not sure.

k0n 12-09-2010 03:56 AM

Man, I'm going to go ask some teachers about this @_@ I'm still puzzled. Anyways, thanks everyone for contributing your experience :)