Prius Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
11-15-2010   #1 (permalink)
fat fat fat fat fat PIG
PROBLEMS BUTA?!
Special Games
Aika OnlineAll Point Bulletin (APB)Alliance of Valiant ArmsAsda Story

buta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unix Script

So I have a homework where I have to run a script that does prints out numbers every 3 seconds called count, except the teacher wants me to run it in the background and have the output not show up on screen.

As she wrote it:
Quote:
Start a second 'count' job in the background, but this time don't let the output show up on screen.
The code is basically:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

num=1
while [[ $num > 0 ]]
do
   echo "num is " $num
   (( num = num + 1 ))
   sleep 3
done
So I know how to get it to run in the background, but not how to keep the output from showing up on screen. Given that it is in the same section as redirecting of output, I'm wondering if she possibly wanted us to just redirect the output to a file.

Or is there some other way that I'm missing?

Thank yous!

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
11-15-2010   #2 (permalink)
and more came out
Games
AuditionFlyFFGunboundLa Tale

iFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud of
IGN: BANNED!

You are welcome.

11-15-2010   #3 (permalink)
fat fat fat fat fat PIG
PROBLEMS BUTA?!
Special Games
Aika OnlineAll Point Bulletin (APB)Alliance of Valiant ArmsAsda Story

buta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond repute

iFarted helped me figure that one out, but now I have another question.

How do you change the PATH environment variable so that you can run scripts from any subdirectory in your home directory?