MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > Off Topic > Life & Relationships > Homework Help

Grand Fantasia
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Grand Fantasia

Rating:  

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
10-30-2010   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)
is cute + gore

Point has a spectacular aura aboutPoint has a spectacular aura about
Default [Statistics] Why can't |correlation| be above one?

We're not exactly expected to know this for our course/it's not explained in the textbook, but I feel like I can't grasp the true meaning of correlation until I find an answer for this.

So... correlation r = (n-1)^(-1)Σ[(x-xbar)/sx*(y-ybar)/sy]

I get how Σ(x-xbar/sx) would just be 0 because of adding all z scores together, how multiplying x-xbar/sx and y-ybar/sy has to do with the least-square regression idea, and how dividing n-1 is just with relationship to the sample; however, why |r|< 1 I have no idea. It's also really close to s^2 = (n-1)^(-1)Σ(x-xbar)^2, but I'm not sure if that's just by chance. If anyone can prove this algebraically or with logical deduction, I'd really appreciate it.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
11-04-2010   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

toasty is a jewel in the roughtoasty is a jewel in the roughtoasty is a jewel in the rough

The sample correlation coefficient is defined as r = (n - 1)^{-1} Σ [(x_i - xbar)/s_x] [(y_i - ybar)/s_y].

Using s_x = sqrt[(n - 1)^{-1} Σ (x_i - xbar)^{2}] and s_y = sqrt[(n - 1)^{-1} Σ (y_i - ybar)^{2}], we can rewrite r as

(1) r = Σ [(x_i - xbar)/sqrt(Σ (x_i - xbar)^{2})] [(y_i - ybar)/sqrt(Σ (y_i - ybar)^{2})]

The triangle inequality states that the absolute value of a sum is never greater than the sum of the absolute values; in its simplest form, if a and b are real numbers, then |a + b| ≤ |a| + |b|. In this case, we get

(2) |r| = |Σ [(x_i - xbar)/sqrt(Σ (x_i - xbar)^{2})] [(y_i - ybar)/sqrt(Σ (y_i - ybar)^{2})]| ≤ Σ |(x_i - xbar)/sqrt(Σ (x_i - xbar)^{2})| |(y_i - ybar)/sqrt(Σ (y_i - ybar)^{2})|.

Note that the terms |(x_i - xbar)/sqrt(Σ (x_i - xbar)^{2})| and |(y_i - ybar)/sqrt(Σ (y_i - ybar)^{2})| are normalized distances; that is,
(3) Σ |(x_i - xbar)/sqrt(Σ (x_i - xbar)^{2})|^{2} = Σ |(y_i - ybar)/sqrt(Σ (y_i - ybar)^{2})|^{2} = 1.

Now, for any real numbers a and b, (a - b)^{2} = a^{2} - 2ab + b^{2} ≥ 0. Shifting terms around, this tells us that ab ≤ (a^{2} + b^{2})/2.

Hence, for all i, we have the following inequality:
(4) |(x_i - xbar)/sqrt(Σ (x_i - xbar)^{2})| |(y_i - ybar)/sqrt(Σ (y_i - ybar)^{2})| ≤ 1/2 * |(x_i - xbar)/sqrt(Σ (x_i - xbar)^{2})|^{2} + 1/2 * |(y_i - ybar)/sqrt(Σ (y_i - ybar)^{2})|^{2}

And because this is true for each term, it is also true for the sum:
(5) Σ |(x_i - xbar)/sqrt(Σ (x_i - xbar)^{2})| |(y_i - ybar)/sqrt(Σ (y_i - ybar)^{2})| ≤ 1/2 * Σ |(x_i - xbar)/sqrt(Σ (x_i - xbar)^{2})|^{2} + 1/2 * Σ |(y_i - ybar)/sqrt(Σ (y_i - ybar)^{2})|^{2}

But, from (3), each of the sums on the right-hand side of this last inequality is 1, making the right-hand side 1/2 * 1 + 1/2 * 1 = 1. So we have
(6) Σ |(x_i - xbar)/sqrt(Σ (x_i - xbar)^{2})| |(y_i - ybar)/sqrt(Σ (y_i - ybar)^{2})| ≤ 1.

Combining (2) and (6), we get
(7) |r| = |Σ [(x_i - xbar)/sqrt(Σ (x_i - xbar)^{2})] [(y_i - ybar)/sqrt(Σ (y_i - ybar)^{2})]| ≤ Σ |(x_i - xbar)/sqrt(Σ (x_i - xbar)^{2})| |(y_i - ybar)/sqrt(Σ (y_i - ybar)^{2})| ≤ 1.

11-04-2010   #3 (permalink)
is cute + gore

Point has a spectacular aura aboutPoint has a spectacular aura about

Wow math genius here. It took me awhile to finish reading it. Thanks for explaining it ;3 I didn't think it would get answered at all. I'm pretty sure I understand everything except this part:

"Note that the terms |(x_i - xbar)/sqrt(Σ (x_i - xbar)^{2})| and |(y_i - ybar)/sqrt(Σ (y_i - ybar)^{2})| are normalized distances; that is,
(3) Σ |(x_i - xbar)/sqrt(Σ (x_i - xbar)^{2})|^{2} = Σ |(y_i - ybar)/sqrt(Σ (y_i - ybar)^{2})|^{2} = 1."

Normalized distances and getting 1 when you square the inside...how does that work? O.o

11-04-2010   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

toasty is a jewel in the roughtoasty is a jewel in the roughtoasty is a jewel in the rough

Let's start with a simpler example. Take the standard xy-coordinate system and draw a line segment from the origin to an arbitrary point (x, y). The length of this segment will be sqrt(x^2 + y^2). Now, suppose that we want the coordinates of the point on this segment that is a distance of 1 from the origin. The coordinates of this second point would have to be (x / sqrt(x^2 + y^2), y / sqrt(x^2 + y^2)). One can verify that this second point does have a distance of 1 from the origin.

The same principle applies for (3), the difference being that we are operating in n-dimensional space instead of 2-dimensional space. In this case, view sqrt(Σ (x_i - xbar)^2) as the distance the point (x_1, x_2, ..., x_n) is from the point (xbar, xbar, ..., xbar), or, if you prefer, the distance the point (x_1 - xbar, x_2 - xbar, ..., x_n - xbar) is from the origin.