Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
01-14-2009   #1 (permalink)
:kamina: Pro

Goldie is on a distinguished road
Guild: SOS Brigade
Default Ancient Greece

I'm doing a school project on Ancient Greece

Last edited by Goldie; 02-11-2009 at 08:00 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
01-14-2009   #2 (permalink)
doki doki freestyle only
Special
Games
Sword 2MabinogiTrickster OnlineRagnarok Online
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Beginner

Ascherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ascherit
Level: weak

Do Greek gods count?

If so, then you can do your entire report on just this list.

these swimming gays ruined my life

01-14-2009   #3 (permalink)

We can do greek gods and I'm doing aphrodite but um...not all greek gods we can only do like 1 or 2.

Last edited by Goldie; 02-11-2009 at 08:00 PM.

01-15-2009   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on this feeling

Bolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud of

If you can still use greek gods, then you should go for Zeus

01-15-2009   #5 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute
Class: NONE

change Aphrodite to Antikythera Mechanism: Antikythera mechanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

B: Bryson: Bryson of Heraclea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

C: Colossus of Rhodes

D: Democritus: Democritus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

E: Euclid

F: this is a tough one

H: Hera

I: Ithaca

J: Jocasta (lulz)

M: Medea

N: Neoptolemus

P: Perseus

Q: oh dear

R: Rhesus

T: Thebes

V: Vergina

W: good luck with this one too

Y: errr...

01-15-2009   #6 (permalink)

Wow thx so much everyone

oh and btw if any has anymore letter ideas i need to draw a picture with it to so if it was an object instead of a person would be easier ^^

01-15-2009   #7 (permalink)
Classic.
Games
Trickster Online

TheRhymenoceros is a jewel in the roughTheRhymenoceros is a jewel in the roughTheRhymenoceros is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to TheRhymenoceros
Class: Professional badass
Level: 27

For something to draw, how about the Parthenon?

The Colossus of Rhodes that Ethane suggested is also a good idea.

The only thing I could think of for F was the Fates,also known as the Moirae :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moirae

Last edited by TheRhymenoceros; 01-15-2009 at 06:05 PM.

01-15-2009   #8 (permalink)

Wow thanks guys!

01-15-2009   #9 (permalink)
Hooked on this feeling

Bolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud of

For Q, I don't know if 'Queen Cassiopeia' is acceptable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassiopeia_(mythology)

Last edited by Bolter; 01-15-2009 at 09:46 PM.

01-15-2009   #10 (permalink)

Now I only need a good one for W and Y @_@

Thx exploda

Last edited by Goldie; 01-15-2009 at 10:48 PM.

01-15-2009   #11 (permalink)
killing threda since 2007

badna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of light
IGN: fLick3r/MrsT/Cod
Class: Bow/Saw/Cannon to_archaeologist
Level: 111/58/58
Guild: Moogles

Yay finally homework that a classics major can help with!
O = ostrakon, a pottery shard that athenians wrote their votes for exiling people on.

W/Y are a little difficult b/c those letters weren't common in Greek or Latin...
P could also be pericles, athenian orator who built the acropolis and the parthenon

Other terms that popped to my head that would be off the beaten track:
epicureanism/pythagorism (philosophies), Delian/Pelopponesian League, Hermaphroditus (look up the myth, it's really funny), Pasiphae (another funny one. lol), Hesiod (an author).

For K, kleos is a good concept, it's big in homer and is basically the glory that epic warriors are always seeking.
L - linear b, an early form of writing found on Crete, and decoded in the 20th century and found to be a primitive form of ancient Greek.

Last edited by badna0; 01-15-2009 at 11:03 PM.

01-15-2009   #12 (permalink)

Okay , well I'm still missing W/Y

And OMG The O word you said is so perfect!It's great!

Lots of naked art in from Greece , I like it.

Last edited by Goldie; 01-15-2009 at 11:07 PM.

01-15-2009   #13 (permalink)

badna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of light

a cop out answer for W would be to pick a war, any war and describe it. The glaring obvious one is the Trojan War, though you could go with the Persian Wars (think Thermopylae, 300) or the Peloponnesian War (Athens vs. Sparta).

Y, i'm still thinking. I really can't think of anything, I'm hoping to find something that's like... a foreign concept transliterated into greek.

In ancient Greek, the letter upsilon (looks like a u) transliterates to a y, but every y in ancient greek would have a rough breathing in front of it. The rough breathing is aspirated (an "h" sound) and so every word that would start with a y-, ends up starting with hy-, making it difficult to find such a word...

EDIT: maybe its just my gripe, but it would have been much more fun to come up with words that started with every letter of the greek alphabet.

01-15-2009   #14 (permalink)

Hermaphroditus myth was funny , Lol I'm so doing that and drawing them blended together Lol.

Ya I understand Y is very hard , I don't think anyone in my class has Y or W and Q but I have Q because I got help from you guys! Yay!

01-15-2009   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badna0
In ancient Greek, the letter upsilon (looks like a u) transliterates to a y, but every y in ancient greek would have a rough breathing in front of it. The rough breathing is aspirated (an "h" sound) and so every word that would start with a y-, ends up starting with hy-, making it difficult to find such a word...
you know, i was thinking, and if you had this explanation attached, you could easily use any hy- beginning word, and say in Greek, it began with an upsilon. I'll see if i can find an explanation of the rough breathing if you want to read through it.
ah! here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://everything2.com/title/Breathing%2520marks%2520in%2520Greek
The vowel upsilon (Y or U) always has the rough breathing, as in hypo-, except on the name of the letter itself. All other vowels can occur with either.

so basically ὑπο = hypo in English. The u is the "y", but the little ' above the u is an 'h' sound which you tack on before the y when you're reading it, hence, hypo.

my suggestion would be ὑβρις (english hubris, directly translated would be [h]ybris), which of course means the English meaning, but in Ancient greece, had the additional connotation of pride leading to one's downfall (The Iliad - Greek Terminology and Glossary: The Language of the Iliad and Homeric times)

01-16-2009   #16 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIkariamSword 2La Tale
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent Winner

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you grab a copy of Edith Hamilton's Mythology. There's an alphabetical index at the back of the book with page references. I'm pretty sure she has the whole alphabet covered.

01-16-2009   #17 (permalink)

I'm thinking of going to a Chapters or a Local Book store and search some books on Ancient Greece and since this is a Big Project worth a lot of marks.It should be worth it.

01-16-2009   #18 (permalink)
Red
Manual Breathing
Games
Battlefield HeroesCombat ArmsConquer OnlineCross Fire
Awards Retired Forum Operations StaffEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerFacebook FanTwitter Fan

Red has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Sircuit
Class: WH
Level: 117
Guild: ggFTW

Its going to be very tough for you to find words for Y since the Greeks never really started any word with it.

I say go through an Atlas...try to get a city or whatever that starts with X/Y and research about it.

01-21-2009   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badna0
you know, i was thinking, and if you had this explanation attached, you could easily use any hy- beginning word, and say in Greek, it began with an upsilon. I'll see if i can find an explanation of the rough breathing if you want to read through it.
ah! here:

so basically ὑπο = hypo in English. The u is the "y", but the little ' above the u is an 'h' sound which you tack on before the y when you're reading it, hence, hypo.

my suggestion would be ὑβρις (english hubris, directly translated would be [h]ybris), which of course means the English meaning, but in Ancient greece, had the additional connotation of pride leading to one's downfall (The Iliad - Greek Terminology and Glossary: The Language of the Iliad and Homeric times)
My teacher it was okay to do that word.Since Y certainly is a difficult word and he says to be creative and get away from the usual thinkers.

01-21-2009   #20 (permalink)

^^ nice, good luck with your presentation!