Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
01-05-2009   #1 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games
Asda StoryDragon SagaEmil Chronicle OnlineLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Queen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Queen Send a message via Skype™ to Queen
IGN: Allure
Class: Holy Paladin
Level: 100
Default [Questionare:Project] Girls and the Video Game Market - MMORPGs

Hey, I'm Kyzuumi typically lurking around the Trickster Online forum and popping into other areas of MOG. I'm doing a project for my media studies class involving the lack-of-targeting female players. 50% of the population of at least the US is generally being ignored (I also know people of many countries go to MOG - you are not excluded from this survey ;P)

You don't have to answer every question - though it's much appreciated, and the more detail the get, the better I can utilize this information for my project.

* Do you enjoy the social aspect of MMOs?
* How much does being the "best" or the "strongest" matter to you?
* Do you ever feel inferior to your male counterparts?
* Do any males help you out because of your gender or give you any sort of "treatment"?
* Are you the leader or a highly active participant in any guilds etc?
* How much do you enjoy creating your own virtual character? Is it a fun aspect, or would you rather have something predetermined?
* How much does the plot of the game affect you? It's developments? Do you look at the plot or story when playing an MMO?
* Are you interested in any console games?
* Do you ever feel like you're in a "man's world", but it's loosing out to a vast, untapped female market?
* Do you feel any sort of marketing is aimed towards you in terms of gender (games for girls), or are you left to decide what's best for you?
* How do you think the female gamer is "branded"? Does a brand even exist yet?

Diablo III North America Glacea#1307
World of Warcraft US Allure, Holy Paladin <Taurential Reign>
League of Legends Queen Nimera
Nintendo 3DS 4511 - 0825 - 1589

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
01-05-2009   #2 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Tardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I do. The community is the best part of a MMO.
I don't mind about not being the best, but being fairly strong, or the strongest would be pretty cool. And I do put a little bit of effort (only a little) into being the strongest.
I'm a male. But I do sometimes feel inferior to almost anyone. Seeing as I just seem to have really bad video game luck. Oh well. =/
* Do any males help you out because of your gender or give you any sort of "treatment"?
If I were to lie to them saying I was a girl, I think many would try to help me. So they can have pixelated girlfriends.
Active in guilds. If things get to quiet, I speak up and try to get something started. Quiet is not good.
* How much do you enjoy creating your own virtual character? Is it a fun aspect, or would you rather have something predetermined?
It's pretty fun. I always try to get it (on some games) like my favorite anime/manga character, from Fruits Basket, Momiji Sohma, but that doesn't always work.
* How much does the plot of the game affect you? It's developments? Do you look at the plot or story when playing an MMO?
Plot is kind of important, but in most MMOs, they may have a background story, but nothing in-game supports it. Or they may have no story at all!
Nintendo FTW.
* Do you ever feel like you're in a "man's world", but it's loosing out to a vast, untapped female market?
I would say video games are mainly targeted at males, which explains why in some games the female characters are ridiculous, aka big boobs, ass, or just sexy in general.
* Do you feel any sort of marketing is aimed towards you in terms of gender (games for girls), or are you left to decide what's best for you?
I think MMOs try to have graphics targeted towards females in hopes of having cuteness catch their eye, "Omigosh! So cuute! MUST PLAY".
Assuming I understand the question, most marketers would assume that girls like the graphics the most. Like I said above. And yes, not all games graphics are catered to a girl's need, but there are a lot (Mainly those made by Korean/Japanese companies) that have very cute graphics.

Last edited by Tardar; 01-06-2009 at 08:06 PM.

01-05-2009   #3 (permalink)
Discuss.
Games
League of LegendsAionAlliance of Valiant ArmsBloodline Champions
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM Award

Xpecial has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to Xpecial
IGN: Xpec
Class: Dainn lu_dainn
Level: -
Guild: -

Is this questionnaire for girls only? o.o

/looks at above, your IGNs look similar :U

01-05-2009   #4 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games
MapleStoryLuniaKingdom of LoathingCity of Heroes
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM AwardPervert Award

Location: Narnia, and the north! Wait....is Narnia supposed to be Canada?
Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi
IGN: SakiaLumei, Arphage
Class: Aran, Blaze Wiz lt_treasurehunter
Level: 9x,3x
Guild: Cupcake

I'd be more than happy to help.

Very much. In fact, the main reason I would quit a game is due to lack of interaction with other people. I stopped playing Runescape and Maple story simply because I couldn't find anyone in the games that I could get along with.

It only matters at certain times. I tend to play a healer type character, so it never really matters if I'm "strong" or not, and I've never really been one for PvP.

Never. First off, I never really know if they are a male or not IRL, and second, your gender will enver determine how well you play the game. If anything, I tend to feel more inferior to the more hardcore female gamers, simply because they put so much work and effort into proving that they're just as good as the boys, if not better.

Sometimes. I've never really asked for it, and I'm actually often mistaken for a guy online. I prefer to make people guess at my gender though, so they more often think I'm male.

I always tend to start my own guild when I play a new game. I've always had leadership tendencies, and I like making a guild to recruit like minded people, rather than join a big famous hardcore guild.

It varies from game to game. Some games, there's very little thought that goes behind my characters, like in Lunia and Trickster, but in other games, Like City of Heroes, I can spend an hour just making the perfect character.

Depends on the MMO. I do for some, and don't care for others. I'd rather create my own story.

Of course. I own a PS2 and a Gamecube, and like to play games on them just as much as I would an MMO. Then again, I also play MMO simulators like .hack//.

Never. As far as I'm concerned, no one really has a gender on the internet. It's not like I'm looking to hook up with anyone. I've met men, women, little kids, homosexual people and "women trapped in a man's body" types, and all of them could care less about if a game is aimed towards males or females.

Some are obviously aimed at certain genders, but it's not like that's gonna stop the unintended market from playing. I personally play whatever I want.

As a label, it very strongly exists. I've walked into gamestop and had people be amazed that I knew what I was talking about. My BF's best friend tells him he's lucky he's got a girl who actually likes video games. People who have "nerdy" tastes often bond together and we start to think that we can't possibly be the minority, even when we are. And most girls I know and talk to play video games, so it shocks me when I'm confronted with the reality that not all girls do play video games. Then again, with video games becoming more mainstream and people like my Yuppie sister wanting a Wii, the distinction between a female gamer and a normal girl may yet fade away.

Don't know if I answered the questions right, but hopefully it helped.

01-05-2009   #5 (permalink)
Don't touch 8|
Awards Retired Content StaffRetired Content Staff

Sheep is a jewel in the roughSheep is a jewel in the roughSheep is a jewel in the roughSheep is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Flarina/Lunata
Class: SHEEP/ ???? to_soulmaster
Level: 142/5xx
Guild: SOLOMODO/Wish
Xfire: !!! D8

-That's basically the reason I play. The only MMO I had fun grinding was Yogurting v_v

-For me it doesn't matter, I play to have fun and to be with friends; however, for some people it is their life duty to become the best. So long as I can function in a party, I'm happy.

-Fax no I ganked so many of them in WoW :U

-Nope, I usually say no to most people unless they are really close or if it would hurt them if I denied.

-Used to be the leader of the SOSBrigade, but then school came along. I was pretty active in Shining Ray, but then my friends stopped playing so I stopped. v-v

-I love dressing up my character and beating up big monsters in funny outfits. Pre-determined gets boring. Too many cookie-cutter builds v_v

-Some MMO's work best with a story and I generally like having a story to follow along. Others should haven't have a story period *cougha18cough* but, as I said, it's always fun to have a story /o/

-Yup, I tend to play Real Time Strategies when I'm bored. I want to play some Tales and Persona games but I lack PS2. I also play touhou stuff /o/

-I read in an article somewhere that women are becoming more common in MMO's, but that survey can be entirely wrong. It could have been counting female avatars rather than counting who is actually female.

-lol HelloKittyOnline. Basically I choose what I want to do or I go along with my friends.

-G.I.R.L. (guy in real life ) is a popular one. Another would be all girls on the internet are ugly and crap like that. Most of it stems from ignorance and stereotypes, but meh people love labeling because it's a shortcut passed getting to know a person.

01-05-2009   #6 (permalink)
doki doki freestyle only
Special
Games
Sword 2MabinogiTrickster OnlineRagnarok Online
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Beginner

Ascherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ascherit
Level: weak
Guild: SOS Brigade

Yes.

In most MMOs I play, being the best and strongest is the only thing you can do.

Sometimes, but hell, it's the internet -- girls can play as guy chars, too.

I find it hilarious how some guys judge you by how hot your sprite looks. Like in L2, I've had some idiots come up to be and be like "hey sexy, u need a bf?? i can treat u right". Lmfao.

I'm currently a sub-leader for a multi-game orientated guild and I was leader for a guild in GE. (and I still am, but the guild is pretty inactive right now)

I LOVE customization. I hate MMOs that only give a few options for looks, because that's just retarded and I don't want to see carbon copies of my character's facial features. (like GE and TO, for example) That's why games like The Sims and Mabinogi gravitate towards me because of its character customization features.

Nope, I don't really care about any of that unless it's forced upon my throat.

Not really. Only console games that I like are RPG games like KH and FF.

No to the former, yes to the latter.

Games for girls = Hello Kitty Online.

Imo, female MMO gamers are generally branded as the type that likes cute things, 'weak', and usually a gold digger. (I've observed this much)

these swimming gays ruined my life

01-06-2009   #7 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

Queen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpecial
Is this questionnaire for girls only? o.o

/looks at above, your IGNs look similar :U
Momi's a good friend, he's a guy and is using my name for the luls. Be sure we're two different people. Guys can answer too if they want, it would add a great comparison (or similarity), which would be great for me also.

Momi@last question - I guess I should've clarified, it's like how a marketer would interpret who the general "gamer girl" is as a mass consumer and a person.

01-06-2009   #8 (permalink)
1)(verb) - to fail.
Awards SotW Beginner

Sephie will become famous soon enough
IGN: Flanoir
Class: Dacy

Mmm. I'll do this as well, I have time to kill anyways:

Quote:
Yes. It's what I mainly game for.

It's fun and give me gloating rights amongst friends, but overall it doesn't matter to me.

No.

Uh. I'll have to say yes, although not so often since I try to make my character as unfeminine as possible for fun and to avoid this.
V Effect.

Sub-leader of a guild my sister runs, which is usually small or a huge group of friends. Of course, strangers are welcomed too.

I love creating my own character, but if I can't it's okay for me. There's always different builds you can do in games, so two characters are rarely ever the same. I love making unique characters for games, the more options, the merrier~

I love plots more than a lot of things. For things that have a base story, those are okay. But I love things with huge plots, and plot twists. It doesn't bother me too much if there's no plot, I'll just make one up in my head or leave it as is and play solely for fun.

It depends, the only games I dislike playing are shooters for some reason. It doesn't matter what system something is on though. If I love a game enough, I'll get a system for it (ex. Tales series. I bought an xbox360 just for Tales of Vesperia), but other things are interesting as well. Things that have co-operative gameplay or competition.

I don't think im in a "man's world", but yes to the latter. I'd love to see more girls play, but I probably wouldn't communicate too much with some girls. Besides, some science thing I heard about said that more women are being born than men due to something or another (chemicals in plastics?), so if things don't pick up for the female market, then things might change for MMOs.

Some things are aimed towards females, with the cuteness and such (ex. Hello Kitty Online.. haha) but as for me, I don't want a game that's overly cute and girl filled. Multi-gender targeted games with some cute things work just fine for me~ I usually follow my sister or a group of friends to games.

I've seen female gamers labelled as nerds, ugly, but also other things. Stereotypes will always exist, in game or in real life, but they're also seen as loving cute stuff, and use a lot of money on pointless things some times. It's fun sometimes though, to prove stereotypes wrong.
.... (:

Lunia Content Manager

Last edited by Sephie; 01-17-2009 at 09:01 AM.

01-06-2009   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Games
S4 LeagueTrickster OnlineDungeon Fighter Online

AcidRainne is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AcidRainne
IGN: IceLatte, Mythica

Yep. That's what keeps me playing them~
Seems far far away~~
Psh. No.
Not really...should they?
Been the leader of alot of guilds, but then they died... I've got some authority in my current guild.
I think it's funner to create your own character, but it's okay having something pre-made for you~
Nope.
I didn't like the Wii that much~
._. No to the first, Yes to the second~
Girls aren't supposed to play games at all...
I dun notice much, but it exists. Most girls are apparently unsociable or nerds

01-06-2009   #10 (permalink)
Discuss.
Games
League of LegendsAionAlliance of Valiant ArmsBloodline Champions
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM Award

Xpecial has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to Xpecial
IGN: Xpec
Class: Dainn lu_dainn
Level: -
Guild: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyzuumi
Guys can answer too if they want, it would add a great comparison (or similarity), which would be great for me also.
mkay o.o

Quote:
If it weren't for this, I would not be playing any MMO, as the community is extremely important to me.
I don't mind being the best, but I rather have fun and enjoy playing the game.
I'll skip this as I am a guy ._.
I'll assume you = females.
To say "no" just means you are not noticing this even though it is quite prevalent. I'm quite sure this applies in real life too, however it is just more obvious in-game.
I'm always a sub-leader or a highly active participant in any guild I join, I enoy interacting with other players and of course helping out other people.
I prefer the gameplay over visual effects. However, there are some basic standards with a game, as an extremely ugly game isn't appealing.
It does not really matter to me. But if it is present, I would love to read it.
I actually am not. I prefer interaction with other players, something console games do not give me the opportunity to do.
Once again, I'll take the "you" to refer to females. I really think games are more and more starting to be marketed to both genders, something that wasn't there years ago.
Of course some games are marketed towards one gender, but that never prevents the other gender from playing those games. However, many games marketed towards guys actually have quite a few females playing it (Counter Strike and most FPS games are great examples).
Um... it doesn't exactly exist for either gender. Though usually people who play games are considered "nerdy," but one can not exactly be sure whether or not a random person is a gamer or not. Most people I know, guys and girls, do play some games. However, only a few of them play games for several hours a week, yet these few are the ones that are hard to single out as gamers by noting only physical appearances.

Oh, and I'm a guy ._.

01-07-2009   #11 (permalink)
You talkin' to me?

Ultimaga will become famous soon enoughUltimaga will become famous soon enough
IGN: xVertigo
Class: NINJA! lu_sieg
Level: 8x
Guild: Fusion

i'll respond as well, i'm a male, btw.

Quote:

very much so, it brings livliness to the game
it's a reason for me to be active in any MMO that i play, but i wouldnt strive to be the best if i wasnt in a group that didnt want the same.
Yes, co-leader of a multi game group
it's very fun building a character up not only by its appearance and aspects in game, but down to the very personality, it brings about a completely different world within the game, adds to the fun.
it definitely makes things more interesting, but it isnt needed for me.
i own every console from sega genesis up
i feel that gender dosent matter when playing any sort of game, everyone should have an equal shot of enjoying themselves
i tend to be ignorant toward such discrimination, i stay away from people and groups that like to have any sort of thought against females playing games.
hope this helps =3

01-07-2009   #12 (permalink)
I'll be here, don't worry
Games
Atlantica OnlineAuditionAngels OnlineAika Online
Awards Retired Forum Moderator

LaTale is a splendid one to beholdLaTale is a splendid one to beholdLaTale is a splendid one to beholdLaTale is a splendid one to beholdLaTale is a splendid one to beholdLaTale is a splendid one to beholdLaTale is a splendid one to beholdLaTale is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to LaTale Send a message via Skype™ to LaTale
IGN: Khamael
Class: Wizard/bard lt_bard
Level: -shrug-
Guild: Ciao
Xfire: amittoletumfuzzy

I hate to play alone, so the social part is really important to me.

To be honset, I doesn't matter at all. As long as you're doing your best. Plus, that I'm usuly the weakes and the slowest~ Haha~

Nope.

I get it sometimes. but I really hate to get treated in a special way just becuse I'm a girl.

I'm a higly active participant. I can't really think myself as a leader.

I think it's really fun to be able to the decide hair, face ect. I think it's kinda boring if the character is "premade" if you know what I mean. It's more fun to create something personal.

Well... I do look at the story of a MMO, but It dosen't affect me that much.

I like Nintendos stuff~

Sometimes, but I don't really think about it so much.

Most of the games that is pointing it's fingers to the gamer girls are usuly trying to be really cute...

I haven't really heard so much about that. I know a very few gamers IRL(like... 2-3), so yeah.

Sorry if I misunderstood any of the questions.

01-07-2009   #13 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Perfidious is on a distinguished road
IGN: Perfidious
Class: Baby Dacy
Guild: Kaizen

:3 Female :3
*Sorry if I misunderstood anything*

Quote:
Yes very much :3 New things happen everyday and I dislike playing alone
Sometimes I love to compete skill wise. Equipment means nothing to me but its nice to have something other players don't or have a hard time getting.
Nope! Not at all.
Yea, they do but I don't think it's because I'm female. Everyone in my group helps each other with anything male or female. Although, in my past MMO's especially fail maple story, guys try anything to get in your pixel pants.
Use to be. Not now though.
Well I love making something customized to describe who I am but predetermined(like Lunia) is fine as well. I just pick a class that seems new and fun to use.
I love Lunia's story so Yes I do look into the plot in a game. It's developments haven't failed me yet. Without a story I think it would be a good game too.
Own every console from Nintendo NES up(except wii...)
Not at all. Never really thought about that or let it get to me.
What ever is best for me. Sure >.> I doubt makers of nintendogs wanted all males to play so some games are aimed towards genders but.. they aren't very successful.
Female or Male, it doesn't matter. Who ever tries to put a line between the two aren't worth the time to acknowledge.

Last edited by Perfidious; 01-07-2009 at 09:39 PM.

01-07-2009   #14 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineEden EternalMapleStoryRagnarok Online

Kusuriuri has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Kusuriuri Send a message via Skype™ to Kusuriuri

Quote:
* do you enjoy the social aspect of mmos?
Depends. With friends its normally quite enjoyable, but sometimes groups of people exist purely to make your experience miserable.
* how much does being the "best" or the "strongest" matter to you?
Not much. I do like to keep a certain level of strength, but I rarely try to achieve "best" or anything. Its not an ideal position, too many people trying to overtake you :x
* do you ever feel inferior to your male counterparts?
Nope.
* do any males help you out because of your gender or give you any sort of "treatment"?
Ha ha. Most of them think Im a guy initially anyway, so no lol.
* are you the leader or a highly active participant in any guilds etc?
Used to be in an active guild. Things came up, I left.
* how much do you enjoy creating your own virtual character? Is it a fun aspect, or would you rather have something predetermined?
Another thing that really just depends on the game. Some games I grow very attached to my character, other games I just throw something on, so to speak.
* how much does the plot of the game affect you? It's developments? Do you look at the plot or story when playing an mmo?
MMOs and console games arent entirely the same. A console game better have good gameplay and good story or I wont touch it. With MMOs, I can deal with good gameplay, since I tend to not pay attention to the story as much.
* are you interested in any console games?
Oh hay I just mentioned those lol. Mhmm yes very much so.
* do you ever feel like you're in a "man's world", but it's loosing out to a vast, untapped female market?
No o.o
* do you feel any sort of marketing is aimed towards you in terms of gender (games for girls), or are you left to decide what's best for you?
I avoid games that are tagged "for girls," 9 times out of 10, they suck hard. Its best just to go for something that would interest you.
* how do you think the female gamer is "branded"? Does a brand even exist yet?
Hmm. Not sure. A lot of people still think the female gamer is a myth. But I think we're more accepted these days.
In quote. And I dont have a penor.

モノノ怪

01-10-2009   #15 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler
Games
Trickster OnlineRagnarok OnlineEden EternalDragon Nest

Losti has a spectacular aura aboutLosti has a spectacular aura aboutLosti has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Losti Send a message via Yahoo to Losti Send a message via Skype™ to Losti
IGN: Sarcasm
Class: Priest
Level: 24
Guild: Infernal

Yes, often my guild/group of friends is what keeps me playing.

It doesn't matter much. I mostly play for fun, but I wouldn't mind being recognized as a "strong" player either XD

Nope, never did.

When I played RO, I often got whispers of the "hey sexy, blah.." sort because I played a female account, now on TO ... not as much, because you can't tell who's female as easily. People often think I'm male somehow, but among people I really know (opposed to the things total strangers say), I don't get any sort of special treatment.

I usually make my own guild, but it depends on the game/people I know in other guilds.

Creating a character is always fun if you have lots of options. I remember spending half an hour to customize a character on Perfect World, for example.

I actually don't care much about the plot. If I do quests, I just click through it x.x The community is much more important to me than the plot.

Nope, never even had any console.

Not really, no.

I think games with cute graphics attract more females than other games, at least that's how it is for me. Examples would be RO and TO~

Stereotypes. Female gamers are ugly nerds and so on. Those are idiotic, though, out of every female I know online, I've rarely seen an ugly one. @.@

Hope that helps~ Dx

01-18-2009   #16 (permalink)
Beyond the stars~

Faelynn will become famous soon enough

Sometimes I do but sometimes I do not. I don't really like hanging out with people I do not know IRL because of trust issues. You never know what sick mind is behind that cute looking girl! You could just go around telling everyone you are a 12-year old boy when in fact you are a 80-year old woman. Just an example but you should get the point. I do however love the company of RL friends or family in games but I still prefer social contact out of game more than sitting in front of a screen every single day.

It used to matter to me but lately I could not care less. I realized to be the 'best' or the 'strongest' in a game is plain ridiculous. To me it does not mean anything. How will you even define who is the best? A level 10 character might have more skill in a single pinky than a level 500+ character in his whole body.

I think females are not being put down on purpose but they sure get (ab)used a lot to sell video games. Go to any game store and look up a videogame that also features female characters and you can bet on it that there is a half-naked character on the cover. In-game itself I don't feel inferior. I can do whatever a male would be able to do. Female characters in games often have more issues to deal with though. (harassment by male characters, male players abusing female characters to get items from other male players, etc...)

I personally have never abused it but many girls or male players playing a female character can easily get free items from players by either acting sexy or cute. I feel if a real girl ever did this in a game that it would be just pathetic and a shame for their gender. I would never put up an act to get something I want for free.

I have lead about 5+ guilds in different games and 20+ guilds as a member. I feel like it adds another aspect to the whole gaming experience.

I absolutely love customization. I don't need the whole facial feature to be customizable but skin color, hair color, clothing, accessories, etc are most appreciated. It's nice if you can customize your character the way you want and really call it your own.

I ALWAYS look at the story and plot of a game. No matter how good the game is, if the storyline is bad, I won't touch it. If you don't have a good story you might as well not build a game. The plotline is the backbone of a game.

Yush! I prefer console games over online games because there is no drama, no other people who might hinder your gaming experience and absolutely no fear of being lied to or scammed.

I don't quite understand the question but I will try to answer it the best way I can. I do notice that games are mostly made by male developers. No complaints, they do their job well but a female touch to the game would be very loved. Many aspects in games just scream out 'MALE' which sometimes bothers me. I can only hope that more and more female gamers will turn into developers and help the male developers make good gaming environments suited to both genders.

Lots of marketing is aimed towards girls >_< anything pink is for girls...anything cute is meant for girls...anything cuddly is made for girls. In game terms they all come together: Barbie Games, Raising Baby Games, Tamagotchi games, pretty much any virtual 'take-care-of-something-cute' is aimed at the female gender. I'm pretty sure many girls out there prefer shooting games over pet games. So even though a lot of marketing is aimed towards girls, they are still free to pick what they play.

I have heard so many brands for female gamers. I'll sum up a few:

- Girls do not play videogames.
- Female gamers are a myth and non-existant.
- Female gamers are actually guys in disguise.
- Female gamers suck at playing games. (suddenly we exist? ._.)
- Female gamers are ugly and have no life.
- Female gamers can't find a boyfriend in RL so they come find a nerd here.
- Female gamers abuse their gender to get free items.

And a very crude one I heard from a former guild leader (notice the former?)

- Girls do not belong behind a computer, they belong behind the stove.

I hope these answers are useful to you >_< I think I kind of overdid it but well I thought it might be better for your grades then .__. Wish you good luck!

01-18-2009   #17 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

I haven't read through the replies yet, but the 15 page print document I have tells me that I have a lot of good responses to sift through.

Thanks to everyone who replied - as this essay is due on Wednesday, I'm not going to take any more responses into consideration. My teacher was really excited about me interviewing on a forum (he loves forum-media-psychology @_@), and I'm glad I got as many replies as I did.