12-05-2008   #1 (permalink)
C'est La Vie

Mysteria will become famous soon enoughMysteria will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Mysteria
IGN: Eyelash
Level: 143
Default Scientology Opinoin Piece

Quote:
Scientology, cult or religion? It’s nothing but a multi-million dollar enterprise. Take a look at the various sectors of Scientology. (See figure 1) Does “Golden Era Productions” and “World Institute of Scientology Enterprises” not sound like corporations? If you look at the rest of the wheel and the other sectors, it seems like one big company with different marketing departments.
One should keep in mind; a member has to pay huge amounts of money to be “educated” and “counseled” in scientology. To rise through the ranks of this society you would have to have both the education and the cash to do so.
Take the case of Lisa McPherson. Four years before her death she spent more then $176,000 on Scientology counseling courses and various other things. During the 18 years that Lisa spent this amount of money, she was only able to reach the middle level of scientology. Someone would think that 18 years of “counseling” would free past experiences from the “reactive mind” as scientology states. But all it got her was a failed second marriage and bankruptcy for Ms.Mcpherson. To make things worst she later went psychotic and was sent to the hospital. The Church took her out and claimed that she had
been “cleared”. But a few days later she died while in the care of the Church.
I’d like to mention a “quote” by L. Ron Hubbard himself (The founder of Scientology) "Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion.” Doesn’t that sound oddly suspicious? I mean he’s basically admitting that he wants to start a religion for his own gains. His little project has grown into a massive empire that collects a gross of over 100 million dollars worldwide each year. What does he do with all this wealth you ask? He purchases a 30 room mansion and a 57 hectare estate in England for his supposed headquarters of Scientology. Did I mention it also comes with young women who light cigarettes and catch the ashes? They record every word he says, including his frequent outbursts of rage. They help him out of bed in the morning, run his shower, dress him. They scrub his office and rinse his laundry in 13 fresh waters. He’s living quite a sweet life isn’t he?
In general, scientologists are idiots. They’re idiots for joining scientology and fools for believing a sci-fi bible. The whole thing is based off a science fiction novel by the crazy L. Ron Hubbard. Scientologists believe that 75 million years ago Xenu was the ruler of a galactic confederacy which consisted of 26 stars and 76 planets. Earth was one of these planets, which at the time was known as Teegeeack. All the planets were overpopulated, so Xenu decided to exterminate the population. To execute this plan he called all the citizens for an “income tax inspection”. When they gathered he paralyzed the citizens with injections of alcohol and glycol and loaded them onto a spacecraft. When the ship reached Earth/Teegeeack the citizens were unloaded around the bases of volcanoes. Then hydrogen bombs were lowered into the volcanoes and detonated. Only a few aliens’ physical bodies survived.
Who would believe that story? Sounds like something from Star Wars. I mean Hubbard has to do better then that. But what I find truly stupid is the following quote.

“Hubbard's original book created a sensation; he claimed to have "cleared" 270 cases of engrams, thus greatly increasing the subjects' I.Q.s and curing them of assorted ills from arthritis to heart troubles. Later Hubbard said that Scientology eradicated cancer and was the only specific cure for atomic-bomb burns.”
I have to admit it’s truly amazing! Scientology can now cure cancer, raise your IQ and heal atomic burns all for the low price of $100,000+. (You must be one heck of a powerful medical god.) But on a more serious note, I have a better chance of growing wings and gaining superhuman strength.
Members of the scientology “religion” put themselves at a huge risk financially and socially, thanks to the Fair Game Policy. (Of course this excludes celebrities like Tom Cruise, after all who want to piss of a powerful iconic figure)
The Fair Game policy states:
The homes, property, places and abodes of persons who have been active in attempting to: suppress Scientology or Scientologists are all beyond any protection of Scientology Ethics, unless absolved by later Ethics or an amnesty ... this Policy Letter extends to suppressive non-Scientology wives and husbands and parents, or other family members or hostile groups or even close friends
So they’re basically threatening every non-believer of scientology. This policy is the main reason why so many members have been exploited and abused. Many of the court cases involve the Fair Game Policy, such as Operation Freak out. The Church attempted to eliminate or at the very at least imprison Paulette Cooper in a mental institution as revenge for her publishing the book The Scandal of Scientology.
As you see there are a lot of controversies revolving around Scientology. They commit burglaries, espionage, kidnapping and trickery to obtain their goals. But you’d think that they couldn’t steep any lower? Guess what, they can! Anyone up for concentration camps? What I meant is Rehabilitation Project Force (RPF). Although these camps aren’t as horrible as the ones ran during WWII they do enough damage to physically and mentally hurt someone. One gets sent there to rehabilitate members who have not lived up to CoS expectations, failed security checks or have violated certain policies. The living conditions are horrible with roach-infested, filthy and unventilated living areas. Nobody was allowed to communicate with each other, they had to run every where, and they always wore black boiler suits. They were allowed to eat but only the leftovers from the “normal” crew. And they’re sleep was limited to 7 hours per day.
Discipline was cruel and strange, with running laps of the ship assigned for the slightest mistake. I should also say that there’s actually a lower level then RPF in the Scientology society. It’s known as RPF's RPF, creative name isn’t it? It’s assigned to someone who does even a worst job then the level “RPF”. Apparently the jobs are even harsher
and they get less resting time.
What I don’t understand is why Scientology is even thought of as a religion. They commit crimes against society. I mean those Rehabilitation programs shouldn’t even be allowed, they’re against our human rights. In fact they’re not allowed to hold restraint against us. But for some reason they can. Are these followers that desperate that they’ll believe anything these undercover CEO’s say? Well whatever it is, you’ll never catch me dead talking about this crappy scam they call a religion.

Copyright. Richard La. 2008 LTD.

FIGURE 1.

i know this isnt the best of essays but I need someone to hopefully just help me patch it up? I think my mergining into new paragraphs is really bumpy. I need knew word for those. All the tips and help would be appreciated.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
12-05-2008   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Juno is on a distinguished road
Guild: Athena

Quote:
Scientology, cult or religion? It’s nothing but a multi-million dollar enterprise. Take a look at the various sectors of Scientology. (See figure 1) Do “Golden Era Productions” and “World Institute of Scientology Enterprises” not sound like corporations? If you look at the rest of the wheel and the other sectors, it seems like one big company with different marketing departments.
One should keep in mind; a member has to pay huge amounts of money to be “educated” and “counseled” in scientology. To rise through the ranks of this society you would have to have both the education and the cash to do so. (redundant)
Take the case of Lisa McPherson. Four years before her death she spent more then $176,000 on Scientology counseling courses and various other things. During the 18 years that Lisa spent this amount of money, she was only able to reach the middle level of scientology. One would think that 18 years of “counseling” would free past experiences from the “reactive mind” as scientology states. But all it got her was a failed second marriage and bankruptcy for Ms.Mcpherson. To make things worst she later went psychotic and was sent to the hospital. The Church took her out and claimed that she had
been “cleared”. But a few days later she died while in the care of the Church.
I’d like to mention a “quote” by L. Ron Hubbard himself (The founder of Scientology) "Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion.” Doesn’t that sound oddly suspicious? I mean (Omit this) he’s basically admitting that he wants to start a religion for his own gains. His little project has grown into a massive empire that collects a gross of over 100 million dollars worldwide each year. What does he do with all this wealth you ask? He purchases a 30 room mansion and a 57 hectare estate in England for his supposed headquarters of Scientology. Did I mention it also comes with young women who light cigarettes and catch the ashes? They record every word he says, including his frequent outbursts of rage. They help him out of bed in the morning, run his shower, dress him. They scrub his office and rinse his laundry in 13 fresh waters. He’s living quite a sweet life isn’t he?
In general, scientologists are idiots. They’re idiots for joining scientology and fools for believing a sci-fi bible. The whole thing is based off a science fiction novel by the crazy L. Ron Hubbard. Scientologists believe that 75 million years ago Xenu was the ruler of a galactic confederacy which consisted of 26 stars and 76 planets. Earth was one of these planets, which at the time was known as Teegeeack. All the planets were overpopulated, so Xenu decided to exterminate the population. To execute this plan he called all the citizens for an “income tax inspection”. When they gathered he paralyzed the citizens with injections of alcohol and glycol and loaded them onto a spacecraft. When the ship reached Earth/Teegeeack the citizens were unloaded around the bases of volcanoes. Then hydrogen bombs were lowered into the volcanoes and detonated. Only a few aliens’ physical bodies survived.
Who would believe that story? Sounds like something from Star Wars. I mean Hubbard has to do better then that. But what I find truly stupid is the following quote.
(why so much space here?)

“Hubbard's original book created a sensation; he claimed to have "cleared" 270 cases of engrams, thus greatly increasing the subjects' I.Q.s and curing them of assorted ills from arthritis to heart troubles. Later Hubbard said that Scientology eradicated cancer and was the only specific cure for atomic-bomb burns.”
I have to admit it’s truly amazing! Scientology can now cure cancer, raise your IQ and heal atomic burns all for the low price of $100,000+. (You must be one heck of a powerful medical god.) But on a more serious note, I have a better chance of growing wings and gaining superhuman strength.
Members of the scientology “religion” put themselves at a huge risk financially and socially, thanks to the Fair Game Policy. (Of course this excludes celebrities like Tom Cruise, after all who want to piss of a powerful iconic figure)
The Fair Game policy states:
"The homes, property, places and abodes of persons who have been active in attempting to: suppress Scientology or Scientologists are all beyond any protection of Scientology Ethics, unless absolved by later Ethics or an amnesty" This Policy Letter extends to suppressive non-Scientology wives and husbands and parents, or other family members or hostile groups or even close friends
So they’re basically threatening every non-believer of scientology. This policy is the main reason why so many members have been exploited and abused. Many of the court cases involve the Fair Game Policy, such as Operation Freak out. The Church attempted to eliminate or at the very at least imprison Paulette Cooper in a mental institution as revenge for her publishing the book The Scandal of Scientology.
As you see there are a lot of controversies revolving around Scientology. They commit burglaries, espionage, kidnapping and trickery to obtain their goals. But you’d think that they couldn’t steep any lower? Guess what, they can! Anyone up for concentration camps? What I mean is Rehabilitation Project Force (RPF). Although these camps aren’t as horrible as the ones ran during WWII they do enough damage to physically and mentally hurt someone. One gets sent there to rehabilitate members who have not lived up to CoS expectations, failed security checks or have violated certain policies. The living conditions are horrible with roach-infested, filthy and unventilated living areas. (This is in present tense but the following sentences are in past tense) Nobody was allowed to communicate with each other, they had to run every where, and they always wore black boiler suits. They were allowed to eat but only the leftovers from the “normal” crew. And their sleep was limited to 7 hours per day.
Discipline was cruel and strange, with running laps of the ship assigned for the slightest mistake. I should also say that there’s actually a lower level then RPF in the Scientology society. It’s known as RPF's RPF, creative name isn’t it? It’s assigned to someone who does even a worst job then the level “RPF”. Apparently the jobs are even harsher
and they get less resting time.
What I don’t understand is why Scientology is even thought of as a religion. They commit crimes against society. I mean (Omit this) those Rehabilitation programs shouldn’t even be allowed, they’re against our (Omit this) human rights. In fact they’re not allowed to hold restraint against us. But for some reason they can. Are these followers that desperate that they’ll believe anything these undercover CEO’s say? Well whatever it is, you’ll never catch me dead talking about this crappy scam they call a religion. (But you're talking about it right now D:

Copyright. Richard La. 2008 LTD.
English isn't my first language, but I've spoken it like 10 years now...but if it looks fishy get a second opinion.

Red text is what I changed.
Purple text has a note indicating why I highlighted it.
Underlined text may need rewording.

12-05-2008   #3 (permalink)
C'est La Vie

O I see thanx. The space was my bad cause I was copy+pasting it quickly from Microsoft word.
I just have a few questions regarding the purple text. Where you said it was redundant that would mean.......??Also by saying Omit those certain phrases; I should get rid of the word you highlighted or the whole sentence in general?

Last edited by Mysteria; 12-05-2008 at 01:16 PM.

12-05-2008   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Both sentences there are saying you need money to rise through the ranks, hence the redundancy. On closer inspection, however, I think you may have meant that rising ranks in and of itself costs money in addition to requiring a certain level of education. You might want to reword that to avoid confusion, but it might just be me ;o;

With the omissions, I meant just the purple text.

note: Ironically, there's a scientology add on this page right now >_>

12-05-2008   #5 (permalink)
C'est La Vie

oo ok Thanx for the help. But dont you think the paragraphs don't mix? Likes kind of bumpy and unrefined? Cause to me it is but i cant seem to reword them so its more smooth.

12-05-2008   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

They could use reworking, yes, mainly near the end. Try to put a clear line between each paragraph and see if that helps you see what needs to change. I can't really give suggestions on that though, I don't really know :<

12-05-2008   #7 (permalink)
C'est La Vie

Yeah Im pretty much as stuck as you :X I need other opinions

12-06-2008   #8 (permalink)
-
Awards Event WinnerSotW Beginner

OrangeJuice will become famous soon enoughOrangeJuice will become famous soon enough

Question: is this a critical essay ('trying to persuade people / defend a thesis' type of essay) or a more personal, opinion essay (saying what you think / kind of more like a blog type of essay)? I'm not really sure since the thread title says "opinion piece" and in your post it says "essay".

Just wanted to know before I suggest anything (I've only really done critical essays; so sorry if it's more of an opinion essay - haven't ever written one of those).

Anyway - I read kind of quick but it was an interesting read since I don't really know about Scientology.