Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
12-01-2008   #1 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
DofusWorld of WarcraftSword 2Soul Master
Awards Facebook Fan

kuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to kuyaBaka Send a message via Skype™ to kuyaBaka
IGN: Euler Breslau
Class: SMN-main, AST.
Level: i200 SMN
Guild: Get Some LLC
Default Southern Secession

Ok, so I hate to finish this paper by Thursday and hand it in that morning.

I've got a prompt for my US History AP class asking me if the South was justified in seceding from the Union or not. I believe they were justified in that the two sides were living in two different environments, making them blind to the reason why they do things the way they do.

Now, since I'm lazy and all, I request help from my fellow Moogles. Would anyone happen to know any good, quality sites that would assist me in typing up this mundane task of a paper? Better yet, what other aspects of the South would drive them to isolate themselves from the nation for good?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
12-01-2008   #2 (permalink)
很可爱已經吃掉了
Games
LuniaMabinogiEden EternalVindictus

Cookies has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to Cookies

Obvious ones:

Slavery
North being too pushy -> Abolitionists
Scared that other people might end up like John Brown <-- I'm pretty sure that you teacher already told you about him
That bloody whatever.... thing.... that happened... yeah it's been a while..

And just click here and there on this wiki page I guess:
John Brown - Abolitionist

Last edited by Cookies; 12-01-2008 at 08:21 PM.

12-01-2008   #3 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

kuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookies
Obvious ones:

Slavery
North being too pushy -> Abolitionists
Scared that other people might end up like John Brown <-- I'm pretty sure that you teacher already told you about him
That bloody whatever.... thing.... that happened... yeah it's been a while..

And just click here and there on this wiki page I guess:
John Brown (abolitionist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)]John Brown - Abolitionist
Bleeding Kansas.
Totally forgot about that whole thing. Thanks~ o/

Still looking for more. Gotta fill up 5 pages minimum.

12-01-2008   #4 (permalink)
很可爱已經吃掉了
Games

5 pages shouldn't be too hard, you could just fill up like 2/3 of it with some John Brown biography.
Add some double-space and bam, 5 pages. At least that's what I did.

Good luck though.

12-01-2008   #5 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
5 pages shouldn't be too hard, you could just fill up like 2/3 of it with some John Brown biography.
Add some double-space and bam, 5 pages. At least that's what I did.
The thing is, how does a biography on John Brown help to justify the Southerner's choice to secede?

12-01-2008   #6 (permalink)
很可爱已經吃掉了
Games

Uh, I think he was the revolutionary abolitionist or something, I meant like the violent things that he did, killing people here and there without getting punished, changing the opinion about violence against slavery in the North, etc etc.
Since the majority (if not all) abolitionists were hippies and wanted "peace", while sneaking slaves away from the South.

Which reminds me... one of the pages I did was all about the details on the Missouri Compromise, and some about the Compromise of 18XX.... can't remember the year .-.
Yeah.... the history book should solve pretty much everything in a History class though.

12-01-2008   #7 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
Uh, I think he was the revolutionary abolitionist or something, I meant like the violent things that he did, killing people here and there without getting punished, changing the opinion about violence against slavery in the North, etc etc.
Since the majority (if not all) abolitionists were hippies and wanted "peace", while sneaking slaves away from the South.

Which reminds me... one of the pages I did was all about the details on the Missouri Compromise, and some about the Compromise of 18XX.... can't remember the year .-.
Yeah.... the history book should solve pretty much everything in a History class though.
There was a compromise in 1820 and 1850 o/

I'd love to use just my text book as an only source, but she wants it to mirror a big-time college term paper, and requiring us to do some outside research.

12-01-2008   #8 (permalink)
很可爱已經吃掉了
Games

Didn't they both affect the secession?

I was talking about the one where they changed the Fugitive Slave Law, making the Southerners have the advantage on slavery. There was a quote that said "[something something] made slave catchers of us all", which raised the tension.

12-02-2008   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Juno is on a distinguished road
Guild: Athena

Try going into the economic reasons for it, I don't remember any good sites but I can almost guarantee no one else will bother going there.

think tariffs...i think...

12-02-2008   #10 (permalink)
too much effort
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAtlantica OnlineGlobal AgendaUrban Rivals

WhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to behold
IGN: WhatThePho
Class: Maniac
Guild: Mooglets v1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno
Try going into the economic reasons for it, I don't remember any good sites but I can almost guarantee no one else will bother going there.

think tariffs...i think...
This. Tariffs protected northern commerce, but it had negative impact on South because they regularly imported European products.

Also, the South has been emphasizing its sectionalistic views even before the abolitionist movements. A good example of this was the Nullification Crisis when South refused to submit to Andrew Jackson's tax and threatened to secede.