ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community


Go Back   ggFTW Forum > Off Topic > Life & Relationships > Homework Help

Vindictus
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Vindictus

Rating:  

8.2

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
09-26-2012   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
kuryuki's Avatar
Games
Trickster OnlineContinent of the Ninth
Awards Facebook Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 403
iTrader: (6)
kuryuki is a jewel in the roughkuryuki is a jewel in the roughkuryuki is a jewel in the roughkuryuki is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Check siggie?
Class: delicious sheep buns. to_champion
Guild: Requisition/Astro Blitz
Default English help Q.Q meaning of a certain "metaphor"

"MacGyver, his hands untied" was the image/metaphor that I was given, the source is probably MacGyver, but I can't find an universal meaning/translation for this Q.Q please help~!
__________________
....
[ GMT: -7:00 ]...[ Server: Fantasia ]
...
IGN: FishSauce | Hybari | Effervescent | Kishiou
.
[ AniPAN | DeviantArt | Pixiv | Tumblr | YouTube]
 
Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
09-26-2012   #2 (permalink)
Eat.Sleep.Rave.Repeat.
Lala's Avatar
Games
Grand ChaseLuna OnlineKingdom of LoathingTrickster Online
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: EH?!
Posts: 540
Blog Entries: 4
iTrader: (22)
Lala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant future
IGN: Étoilée
Level: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuryuki
"MacGyver, his hands untied" was the image/metaphor that I was given, the source is probably MacGyver, but I can't find an universal meaning/translation for this Q.Q please help~!
Was that all you were given or is there any more to that?

And if not, I'm guessing since MacGyver used the most ordinary and simple things to solve a problem, maybe it has to do with that.

"Find a way to get his hands untied."
__________________
 
09-26-2012   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
kuryuki's Avatar
Games
Trickster OnlineContinent of the Ninth
Awards Facebook Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 403
iTrader: (6)
kuryuki is a jewel in the roughkuryuki is a jewel in the roughkuryuki is a jewel in the roughkuryuki is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Check siggie?
Class: delicious sheep buns. to_champion
Guild: Requisition/Astro Blitz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaidLatte
Was that all you were given or is there any more to that?

And if not, I'm guessing since MacGyver used the most ordinary and simple things to solve a problem, maybe it has to do with that.

"Find a way to get his hands untied."
sadly that's all the information I'm given x.x
some of the other examples include: "Samson, his hair cut" which was a biblical reference about I'm assuming betrayal of one's god.

judging from the other ones I'm given I am assuming that the "action" of having MacGyver's "hands untied" can be summed into a general statement. x.x but reading on the wiki hasn't given me and clues to that.
__________________
....
[ GMT: -7:00 ]...[ Server: Fantasia ]
...
IGN: FishSauce | Hybari | Effervescent | Kishiou
.
[ AniPAN | DeviantArt | Pixiv | Tumblr | YouTube]
 
09-26-2012   #4 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
Harlequin's Avatar
ggFTW Pro
Games
MabinogiDC Universe OnlineVindictusLineage II
Awards Admin AwardStaff AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularMoM AwardSotW SeniorHarem JuniorLucky StreakArtifact HoarderFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 6,300
Blog Entries: 9
iTrader: (1)
Harlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Harlequin Send a message via MSN to Harlequin Send a message via Skype™ to Harlequin
IGN: Kirinne
Class: Grenadier lt_treasurehunter
Guild: <Databased>
Xfire: glarbage
Default

MacGyver as a television character was very reliant on his hands. He was crafty, and would frequently create things such as bombs while in a dire situation. So the idea that his hands are untied would create the image that his ability is completely released.

On the other hand, "Samson, his hair cut" is a Biblical reference like you said. However, it's got an opposite intention to the MacGyver imagery, in that Samson's power was in his hair. So when his hair was cut he lost all of his strength, as opposed to MacGyver whose strength is unleashed when his hands are untied.
__________________
 
09-27-2012   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
kuryuki's Avatar
Games
Trickster OnlineContinent of the Ninth
Awards Facebook Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 403
iTrader: (6)
kuryuki is a jewel in the roughkuryuki is a jewel in the roughkuryuki is a jewel in the roughkuryuki is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Check siggie?
Class: delicious sheep buns. to_champion
Guild: Requisition/Astro Blitz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin
MacGyver as a television character was very reliant on his hands. He was crafty, and would frequently create things such as bombs while in a dire situation. So the idea that his hands are untied would create the image that his ability is completely released.

On the other hand, "Samson, his hair cut" is a Biblical reference like you said. However, it's got an opposite intention to the MacGyver imagery, in that Samson's power was in his hair. So when his hair was cut he lost all of his strength, as opposed to MacGyver whose strength is unleashed when his hands are untied.
thank you so much C: that made a lot of sense~!
__________________
....
[ GMT: -7:00 ]...[ Server: Fantasia ]
...
IGN: FishSauce | Hybari | Effervescent | Kishiou
.
[ AniPAN | DeviantArt | Pixiv | Tumblr | YouTube]
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


zOMG!
Need a new browser game?

Try 

zOMG!

Rating:  

6.2
Hide this banner by registering for our community.