Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
06-16-2008   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Special
Games
Grand ChaseDofusLa TaleGunbound
Awards Retired Forum Moderator

CujoEX is just really niceCujoEX is just really niceCujoEX is just really niceCujoEX is just really niceCujoEX is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to CujoEX Send a message via MSN to CujoEX Send a message via Yahoo to CujoEX Send a message via Skype™ to CujoEX
IGN: CujoEX
Default Decrease Lag

To start, I'm not really a professional when it comes to networking, but I know the basics to lessen the lag in game.

When it comes to Dungeons, the host controls the lag of the monsters. If you're a host, please be sure that your modem can support the game's function. If it can't, you can decrease the quality of the game by pressing F1 a few times (sometimes, the game will auto adjust the quality of the game depending how bad you're lagging). You can also adjust the quality by going to the Options Menu at the top right of the screen. If you would like to increase the quality, you can press F2.

If you're using Windows, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and look under the Progress Tab. If you see that there's a program that's taking a lot of memory, you can try closing it (warning, don't close any program that helps function windows). If you're running any downloads or torrents, close them as well. Most messengers such as AIM won't take much memory, but depending on what you installed for Windows Messenger (MSN) or Yahoo Messenger, there could be additional applications taking up more memory. If so, close them before playing the game.

If you're running any browsers like Internet Explorer or FireFox, close them as well. If you need it open for notes and such, I suggest saving them for offline use, then opening the saved file. Otherwise, if the notes are in text, save them on notepad/wordpad.

---

If you have a wireless router, I suggest you read up on how to keep your wireless router on private. There are times when people nearby may be using your wireless router, causing lag when you play the game. Add a lock/password to prevent any strangers from using your modem.

---

Stolen from Nexon Forums - Fix Your Lag or Just Improve Latency! which works for Grand Chase (requires Service Pack 2):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmgl
This is not a joke. I have been suffering from major lag for a long time, and I have FOUND the problem.

The issue is something known as the "Nagle Algorithm". Anyways I'll keep it simple, this algorithm was created years ago as a way of allowing a steady stream of data to use low bandwidth. It was designed for older dial up modems to prevent online games and other things sending large numbers of small packets from filling up your entire bandwidth sending "ACK Packets". What this does is automatically delay your computer from responding to a single packet by 200ms which allows your computer to respond to multiple packets at once using less bandwidth. What this essentially does, is add up to 200ms to your lag. If you want to know more, do some googling; I don't want to bore you.

Anyways, if you are on a modern broadband connection, you can DRASTICALLY improve your Mabinogi lag by disabling this algorithm. I am unsure of how to do this in Windows Vista, but in Windows XP it is a simple registry edit.

1. Run Regedit
2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameter s\Interfaces\
3. It gets tricky here, there be a bunch of Folders with letters and numbers under this Key, you need to find the one that is your network adapter. Browse them one at a time and look for the ones with similar settings to your network, such as if you have an IP address or a Gateway manually set. If you are unsure, you could always just try adding the line to all of them.
4. Add a DWORD named TcpAckFrequency This is Case Sensitive. If it is already there, skip to step 5.
5. Set the Value of the DWORD to 1
6. Reboot your PC

After this, the Nagle Algorithm will be disabled.

If you wish to test your lag, the best way to do it is by casting the Healing spell. Try casting all 5 charges of your healing spell before this fix, then after. I guarantee you'll cast them twice as fast after this fix if you have had lag issues or are living on the east coast.

For more information read: http://smallvoid.com/article/winnt-nagle-algorithm.html

I was ready to quit this game due to lag issues until I found this. Now all of my problems have completely gone away. If this improves your game performance, please share!
Ignore the test.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-17-2008   #2 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

Vulturas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoEX
(requires Service Pack 2).
Just service pack 2?>.>

06-17-2008   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Leenalia has a spectacular aura aboutLeenalia has a spectacular aura about
IGN: Viola
Class: Rena to_librarian
Level: 60
Guild: PrinnyMages

There's a better way to do this.

Delete all programs and pictures that take space on your computer that you don't need, that or transfer all your less-used but also important programs into an external hardrive.

Keep the basic programs Windows came with like Word and Paint, etc.

Defragment your computer if you haven't done so.

Reformat your PC/laptop if you haven't done so *optional*.

Don't make your internet WEP Encrypted...that actually reduces internet speed. Instead, keep it unsecure but on your main PC (if you are on wireless or not) find the lists of computer MACS in your house. Check your laptop MACS and make sure it's correct, add the MACS to the list. This means that only the specified computers/laptop can use your wireless even if it's unsecured. Don't worry about hackers hacking into your internet, they can't unless they break into your house and steal your harddrive. The MACS is the harddrive that's connected to the internet, so basically NO ONE can access your internet.

Note: *I do the above lol. I got tired of my mom's high speed internet being unsecure and people possibly stealing it so I added my laptop, my other laptop, her PC and my brother's PC MACS onto the list. Hehe, now no one can get my internet unless they steal the respective computers lol*

06-17-2008   #4 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

ookay, you lost me>.>

06-17-2008   #5 (permalink)
PolandSpring wut!?

KuroKoden will become famous soon enoughKuroKoden will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to KuroKoden Send a message via Yahoo to KuroKoden
IGN: KuroKoden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulturas
Just service pack 2?>.>
Vult do you even know what it is?

And yes only SP2. SP3 is coming out somewhere in the near future but I highly recommend you DO NOT download it during its public releace, it WILL have bugs.

06-17-2008   #6 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

That means , SP3 is buggy and so on? or it's junk from start?

06-18-2008   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

I lose everyone o.o;;

A computer MAC is basically the ID# of your computer hard-drive.

06-18-2008   #8 (permalink)
sɪlvər
Awards Retired Content StaffPervert Award

Silver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Silver Rook Send a message via AIM to Silver Rook Send a message via MSN to Silver Rook Send a message via Yahoo to Silver Rook Send a message via Skype™ to Silver Rook
IGN: Silver
Class: Ag
Level: 47
Guild: Transition Metals

Basically, to put it simple:
By allowing a MAC, that would mean the router/ broadband would only allow that single computer to access the internet. Hacking would be impossible because only those computers with authorized MACs would be able to access the router/ broadband systems.

Therefore even if you're leaving your wireless as unsecured, only the computers with registered MACs would be able to access the router/ broadband to access the internet.

Theres are ways of hacking MAC though, not teaching either

Lastly, WEP does lag your internet in comparison to a unsecured network.

This is Kyuubey

06-18-2008   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

You can't hack a MAC unless you either have a copy of the hard-drive or you steal the computer from the house. Seriously, you can't hack a hard-drive...most you can do is fry it with a Trojan virus.

06-18-2008   #10 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

I hate viruses>.> once I bought an anti-virus I found out I had lots of viruses, me thinks I made a record.

06-19-2008   #11 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

sExYgIrL93 is on a distinguished road

This only work if the server if using TCP and if the application itself doesn't disable the algorithm. I haven't played GC/Mabinogi so I don't know what's the case with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenalia
A computer MAC is basically the ID# of your computer hard-drive.
No it isn't, it's the ID of your network adapter. And you can change your MAC address easily, doesn't require any hacking

06-24-2008   #12 (permalink)
Φύλακας πρισμάτων

Zamte will become famous soon enoughZamte will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Zamte
IGN: Zamte
Class: Card Master to_cardmaster
Level: 101

It IS the ID of your network adaptor, AND your computer AND your router AND every piece of networking hardware out there.

The problem is... MAC addresses are controlled by the device itself, not assigned by a service, as IP addresses are. You can change your MAC address to whatever you want it to be.

As for Nagle algorithm, just use this. It automatically does almost all of the steps for you. All you have to do is one quick edit.

Algorithm_s_Lag_Fix_REV002.zip - FileFront.com

It is made for use with Maplestory, specifically OdinMS, since it was hosted in Germany but played mostly by North Americans, but it simply removes the algorithm, and thus works with all internet-related concepts.

07-09-2008   #13 (permalink)
[露丹恵瑠]
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerSotW Beginner

Location: Niagara Falls, Canada Ontario [Yeah stalk me OHOHOHO]
Ronin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Ronin
IGN: Show
Level: Your
Guild: Moves

Not sure if i did this right, but here's a pic.
I have Vista but i prefer the windows 98 skin, none of those crappy effects.