Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
06-15-2009   #1 (permalink)
【Sun Knight】
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineEmil Chronicle OnlineGrand ChaseRagnarok Online
Awards Event WinnerMr. ggFTWMoM AwardSotW Junior

Noperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant future
Default Guide to Ronan

(Currently a Work In Progess)

Well, first of all I'd like to introduce myself. In MMOG I'm known as Noperative (duh) but you can find me as *currently blocked due to mass banning in GC* in the actual game.

This guide was made because: 1) Ronoobs suck 2) There aren't many good Ronan guides that I can find 3) It's summer vacation and I'm bored.

Also, there are many possible biases in this guide, Ronan being one of my favourite characters. So let's get started shall we?

1st Job: Spell Knight

Breakdown: Pretty balanced melee character and very noob friendly. Unfortunately this is also one of his disadvantages, as he has no outstanding traits.
Good Points:
-Balanced character build allows for flexible fighting
-2 sets of skills (some are useful)
-Ragnabolt is good
-Flashy skills
-Noob friendly (but this causes alot of Ronoobs so it might be bad???)
Bad Points:
-No incredibly outstanding abilities
-One of the few (excluding DA) melee jobs with air dash that can't flashstep and has a pretty crappy shadowstep
-While he has 2 sets of skills, the usefulness of 1/2 of them are arguable
-Flashy skills suck in dungeons, but at least you look cool
There are probably various good and bad points I have miss, and probably a few I'm saving for more examining. So let's move on to his skills and attacks.
Basic Attacks:

Combo: ZZZZZ
-Basic combo >.>
-Magic bursts do good damage and don't knock down
- Press > or < during or after the combo to do a critical/double attack
-Press/hold ^ before the magic bursts to change the combo into a juggle combo. While juggling sounds cool, it's uses are pretty small and it's not recommended in either dungeons OR PvP
Dungeon use:
-Use alot if you can't otto/are on ground
-If you don't double/crit you can keep the combo going, most monsters are too stupid to avoid this
-Magic bursts do good damage
PvP use:
-Not recommended to use in PvP, this does not apply to Ronoobs
-If you DO land one, it's best to use a crit before the magic bursts since there is a small window between them that allows running/grabbing
-Easily countered, thought the damage is minor and most people won't care
Dash Attack : >>Z
-Good range and damage, if you miss the grab at least it'll hurt
Dungeon use:
-If you get bored of normal combo and want to make something fly up, use this
-It can juggle so it won't be a total waste
PvP use:
-Decent damage
-Pretty big range
-Moves you forward quite a bit which can suprise people
-With the right timing, you can cancel the dash attack into a grab while still landing part of the dash attack (about 1/4)
*Note: When you use the dash attack in the air, it changes into an air dash attack, basically the critical attack without having to combo. To use the normal dash attack in the air, wait for the initial 'burst' to finish and start running before you press Z. Or run off a platform, that works too.

Ragnabolt: >><Z
-Basically a slower, weaker firebolt with less range (about 2-3 bodyspans)
-Like firebolt, it doesn't knock down but can kill fatal people
-LIKE FIREBOLT, you can use the stun to grab/chain the hit person
-Abuse this when you feel like winning
You might notice that I'm listing a few possibilities in each part, but not going more in-depth. This is intention, I'm saving these for later sections. So for now, we'll move onto skills. Note, most people compare Ronan's skill sets to Arme's, calling them White and Black magic. I disagree though, since both skill sets are for attacking I call simply them Melee and Magic skills.

Skills:

Melee Skills:
1st Bar-Rune Spiral: Hold MP bar for 1 bar, duh
-This is a laughable skill at best, but looks cool so people like to spam this
-Fans of Gurren Lagann and other....drill-related things...... will recognize this as a shiny blue drill made by stabbing your sword through a magic circle
-If it wasn't for skill delay, by the time you make the circle you'd be dead and usually you get grabbed out of this anyway
Dungeon Use:
-If you're using this in dungeons, either you're trying to look cool or you need to read more of this guide (most notably the 'Dungeoning' section I'll add later)
-Knocks down and does weak damage
-Don't use unless you're another Ronoob, in which case I recommend you spam as much as possible
PvP Use:
-Most useful part of it is the invincibility frames and even then the other 1st bar has about as much invincibility AND buffs you
-If you do use this, try to get them in the air for more damage
2nd Bar- Giga Crush:
-Another flashy but useless skill
-If you like big, easily dodged (even by monsters) and weak combos, use this
Dungeon Use:
-Look cool, show off, be a Ronoob
PvP Use:
-Slightly more useful than dungeons, but still fail
-The intial swing usually knocks people right out of the combo, making you look like an idiot as you continue to swing around
-Easily counterable, but after a certain point in the combo it seems to become uncounterable (about 3rd hit I think) so use on people with slow reflexes
-Last hit (the gigacrush part) makes a big fire pillar thing that knocks people up, which you can use for grabbing/chaining
3rd Bar-Kanavan Strike:
-Flashy, easily countered, weak in dungeons, but it's still flashy so people spam it, typical Ronan
-Multiple shiny, blue magical swords coming out of a shiny, blue magic circle and pwn juggling enemies makes little boys happy
-In fact, most Ronoob strategies involve using this skill as much as possible and complaining when they don't insta-win with it
Dungeon Use:
-Once again, pretty damm useless but a good deal better than 3 rune spirals
-It's arguable whether this is better than the Magic 3rd Bar, so I'll consider them tied for now (Both fail anyway)
Magic Skills:
1st Bar-Holy Bless
-Actually a pretty useful skill
-A nice buff-type skill that boosts your attack for about 20 seconds
-You get a cool aura too
Dungeon Use:
-Boosts your attack, also boosts party members' if they're in the circle
-I prefer this over using any other skills, it gives an edge to your attack and increases your DPS(Damage Per Second)
PvP Use:
-Once again, quite useful. It tacks on extra damage to all your attacks and it will add up over time
-Good invinc frames and some people can use it for delay
2nd Bar- Blast Bomb
-Rather weak skill, but has some strategic abilities
-Big meteor falls from sky onto large indicated target that appears on ground. Has burn damage
Dungeon Uses:
-Occasionally I'll chain this with Holy Bless, it's pretty good on giant bosses like Samsara and the actual meteor gives MP too
-Damage is pretty good considering it's a 2nd grade skill, and you can get quite a few of these in during boss fights
PvP uses:
-Ronoobs will try to throw it right on you, which won't work since the delay is too short and the skill is too obvious
-Maximum damage requires target to be in the air, or else they'll just get knocked down
-There are more complicated ways to use this, but more on that later
3rd Bar- Lunatic Force
-Pure awesomeness, in my opinion
-It's basically a slow blue orb (with quite a large hitbox) that travels in a straight line. Upon impact it'll explode in a giant icefield that does some good damage and freezes everything in the radius
Dungeon Use:
-Again, not sure if this is better than Kanavan strike. I'll consider this purely situational, depending if you want a few big strong hits that freeze the opponent, or Kanavan Strike.
PvP Use:
-Definitely has a large number of advantages over Kanavan Strike
-Can't counter out of it
-Traps target in ice for awhile, good for setups
-Slow, but has a larger range than the visible sphere. Possible to hit someone behind you at cast.
-The slowness actually can be used for a few good strategy
Well, now that I've done a decent breakdown of Spell Knight, I'll introduce a few new techniques (some of which I was planning to introduce earlier, forgot and was too lazy to edit).

Various tips and tricks:

Grabbing: (Yes, this was one of the ones I mentioned in the last part)
-Unusuable in dungeons
-Good damage in PvP, and laggy in a good way.
-Single hit (excluding alchs) and undodgable. You can counter at the end but why would you? >.>
-Despite complaints, recommended to use as much as possible
-Important part of PvP, many combos and strategies involve this. LEARN TO GRAB
Ottoshot: V+Z (On platform and hitting something)
-Glitch in game involving game mechanics. Basically jump attack frame cancels.
-Strong as hell in both dungeons and PvP
-Hard to do, good luck practicing
Dungeon Use:
-Sexier than any skills Ronan has. Holy Bless + otto= epic
PvP Use:
-Not recommended in PvP even though it's strong. Many players consider it taboo and even the GMs call it exploitation. I still use it in smashing when it's around though.
-Special PvP fix has been applied that cancels otto after 5 hits, keep in mind.
RocketStep: >>^>>
-Movement technique where you dash up like a rocket
-You will dash up about the same height and distance as a dash jump, but it's pretty fast
-Alternatively, you can simply ^>> for a higher but shorter rocket
-Good for escaping
-Good for surprise grabbing/air grabbing
(Got bored so will resume later)
Grab Chains/Catching:
-Requires slight lag. Normal connection is laggy enough
-Simply grab them close to an edge and grab them again when they fall of the ledge. (TIP: Sometimes you should dash down for a higher chance of grabbing)
-Also, just before a person falls on the ground they are grabable for a split second. With good reflexes and lag, you can grab them again. This is sometimes called 'catching'
Wake-up Attack: Z when knocked down
-A rather strong attack you can use when knocked down. This does about as much damage as a 1bar in PvP. Usually a wake-up attack will 1)Knock down a monster/enemy 2) Aerial a monster(Dungeon) 3) Stun an enemy(PvP)
-While useful in both dungeons and PvP, a wake-up attack is not always the best idea. Wake-up attacks last until your get-up invincibility is gone, AKA you're a sitting duck if you miss the wake-up attack. Smart people like to grab you, dodge the wake-up attack then grab you again.
Well as you can tell, Ronan isn't the most complicated character in the world. (In fact, most people quit him after awhile once the pros start eating them up). Even so, he has a good play style which opens up quite a few possibilities. So now we'll move onto the section everyone's been waiting for:

Combos and Strategies:

Dungeons:
Holy Bless+ Normal Combo/Ottoshot/Blastbomb(On certain bosses)

PvP:

Various combos:

Ragnabolt combo:
-A very common tactic used by Ronan players.
How to: Simply throw a ragnabolt and run after it. If someone gets hit by it you can do a number of follow-up hits.
Follow up 1- Grabbing: This is the easiest to land of the follow-ups and does good damage. One of the more common of the follow-ups due to the fact it has a higher chance of succeeding than the other possibilities.
Follow up 2- Jump attack: Another very common one, hit them with a jump attack and continue with the other follow-ups. This tacks on some more damage to the combo but has a smaller chance of a clean hit (One that stuns them on the ground and prevents them running) than grabbing
Follow-up 3- Dash-attack: Dash attack them >.> Usually what happens if you miss the grab. Probably the weakest follow-up, other than the ones that miss. Also, this has a higher chance of missing than a grab.
Follow up 4- Combo: Seriously hard to land and not recommended. Using the stun from ragnabolt, it IS possible to normal combo the person for lots of damage, but most people see through this immediately and easily own you.
Follow up 5- Skill: I'm a bit stuck as to explain if this is a good follow-up or not. Against less experienced PvPers, it's a decent strategy to use the stun and skill delay to land a skill on someone (Gigacrush, for example). However the skills are easily countered and ones that are harder to counter out of either do lower damage than a grab or use too much MP. That aside, it is also a very bad idea to simply rush in charging MP.
Normal combo set-up:
As I've said before (I think..), the normal combo is a powerful but hard to land attack. This part will show a few ways to land a normal combo.
'Otto' set-up:
-Ottoshot is simply a frame canceling of the jump attack, which we'll use to set-up for a combo. Aside from the basic otto then change into combo, you can also preform your jump attack close to the ground than normal. This will place the stun window close to the point you start the combo (really good timing will mean your jump attack frames cancel almost like an otto).
Holy Bless:
-I AM sure that I've mentioned people use holy bless for delay, though the delay isn't large enough for Ronan to delay grab. Rather, you bless when a person comes in for a grab and have them harmlessly attack in your invincibility frames.
-Once you've finished blessing, there should be enough time to combo the person as he/she recovers from their dash attack.
-It should also be known that most people grab in this situation, rather than using a combo.
Blessed spiral:
-Common Ronoob technique.
-Holy Bless and then switch to Rune Spiral when you get the buff
Now for the more interesting part, strategies:

Blast Bomb:
As mentioned before, blast bomb does have some very useful traits in PvP
Against runners:
-This takes advantage of one of blast bomb's primary disadvantage, the delay that allows the target to jump out of the bomb.
-Simply knock down any runner on a relatively flat area and drop a blast bomb as they air dash away. The initial 'burst' of the air dash will propel them right into the blast bomb and they'll take most of the damage since they are in the air.
NOTE: I believe it's possible to air grab/catch but I've never managed to do it before.
Against campers:
Not the best use for a blast bomb (though blast bomb itself isn't exactly the best 2nd grade skill) but blast bomb can be used to drive away campers.
The big red target on the ground is enough to scare away people from camping, but you can actually do damage using blast bomb in a different way.
-Simply aim the blast bomb UNDER them. They will not be able to see the target since they are too high up, and thus will get hit by the blast bomb. Hopefully you'll have good timing and get them in the air, or else the blast bomb will only hit them once and get the minimum damage.
-This is best for killing a camper at low hp/fatal/waiting to use a 3rd bar when you come.
Lunatic Force:

Last edited by Noperative; 07-03-2009 at 09:26 AM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-15-2009   #2 (permalink)
【Sun Knight】
Special
Games

Noperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant future

*post reserved in case this gets long*

Last edited by Noperative; 06-15-2009 at 01:35 PM.

06-16-2009   #3 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

mangoman will become famous soon enoughmangoman will become famous soon enough
IGN: BumSmash
Class: Dacy
Level: 59
Guild: Mivehind

DO WANT. Seriously though, good guide. If you can somehow reveal the secret to consistently otto'ing with Abk, it'll be the best ever. Ooh, just a side note, an issue I'd like to see discussed is if it's worth it to adopt below-average classes if their weapons are stronger, as there are only so many GP options.

06-17-2009   #4 (permalink)
【Sun Knight】
Special
Games

Thanks, I'll try to put those in.