05-25-2009   #1 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

mangoman will become famous soon enoughmangoman will become famous soon enough
IGN: BumSmash
Class: Dacy
Level: 59
Guild: Mivehind
Default MM'S general guide to Grand Chase

Hi everybody! After being a newbie for a few months and eventually learning the ropes, I eventually had the urge to spread all I had learned for any other newbies out there. Okay, no more introduction. On with the guide!

BEFORE WE BEGIN
Note that there are many things in this guide that fall under the umbrella of the word "opinion". While I like to think of my opinions as the 'right' ones, everything should be taken with a grain of salt. Also, the format of this guide frequently inserts an inquirer (marked in bold) and me, the answerer (in normal text). It makes the guide easier to follow, answers questions, and helps cover up my lack of writing ability or creativity. It's also worth noting that most of this guide is told from the perspective of staging, as PvP is a hellish place to be. Alrighty, on with the guide for real this time.

Sections:
I: Socializing: The people of GC and you
II: Gaming: How to lern2GC
1: What kind of game is GC?
2: Questing, PvP, and leveling: GC's bread and butter
3: Gameplay mechanics: monster effects, money, otto attacks, MP, health regeneration, champion mode, etc.
4: Items, emotes, pets, P^ Points, Potions, and an overview of cash and gems
III: Characters: How to pick 'em, and my thoughts on a few
IV: Stuff you probably don't care about

I: Socializing: The people of GC and you

Plainly put, most everybody in GC's community is someone whom, acting similarly in real life, you really wouldn't want to be friends with. It has often been debated as to whether or not your typical GC player counts as a 'person' at all. Of course, that's to be expected. It's a game marketed towards a younger (i.e. infantile) audience with too much time on their hands. Still, prepare for idiocy and all forms of immaturity (on the internet????) to beat down upon you day after day. It helps if you haven't lost faith in humanity just yet, as any cynicism you hold towards your own species will be justified often. If you really can't stand that kind of company, you must either seclude yourself completely with a close group of trustworthy friends, or else play some other game.

What can I do against all this annoyance?
In the "options" menu in the upper right corner of the main screen, under the "game settings" heading, you can check off the "block whisper" box and/or the "auto invite block" box if you find yourself being harassed. You can also file reports on Ntreev's website. It helps if you have a screenshot of the annoyance in question. You can block specific users from your friends menu.

What are some tell-tale signs of idiots/bad players?
Glad you asked! Here are some I've noticed in my own experience, in no particular order:
1. Having a username derived from an anime, manga, comic book, etc.
2. Lack of teh gud grammarz; this includes lack of capitalization, punctuation, proper spelling, etc.
3. Overuse of smilies
4. Overuse of humor-based acronyms (rofl, lol, lmao, etc.)
5. Placement of said acronyms at the end of own jokes
6. Placement of "just kidding", "joking", or "jk" at end of own jokes.
7. Joining rooms their level prohibits them from joining, then beg to stay regardless. In fact, beggars of any sort, especially the ones that ask for help with character quests, which usually goes together with the begger in question being very under-leveled.
8. Tend to ask questions that are easily answered with a 5-minute search on a forum (guilty as charged)
9. ALL CAPS
10. Constantly knocking down a mob (Lires are notorious for this)
11. Limited vocabulary
12. Slow typing speed (Takes them about 10 seconds to say "lol")
13. Aged seventeen and under
14. Getting to the portals last (assuming a relatively similar starting position with everyone else, excepting platforming sections. The important thing there is trying)
15. (Arme only) Charging outside the portals, with the exception of gathering MP to heal a fatal
16. (Amy only) Doing the mp-restoring taunt, with the exception of helping heal a fatal
17. Healing at all, with the exception of healing a fatal or Self Heal
18. Actually being so bad as to necessitate constant healing for survival
19. Refusing to participate in the platforming sections of stages.
20.Not knowing when to do certain stages
21. Leaving in the middle of stages for reasons other then lag or RL obligations
22. Not following the intended purpose of a party (For example, choosing to rush when it said half)
23. Using weaker, longer-ranged attacks when there are stronger melee attacks available for the sake of keeping themselves safe. (Such as using Great Undine when there's plenty of openings for lesser Salamander, etc.)
24. Worst of all, leeching. There's no party kick function, so if you don't notice these guys from the get-go, you'll let them tag along without fighting simply because you don't feel like throwing away the effort. I'm sure they're penalized some for not fighting, though it's pretty minor.

But as I've said before, you'll have to put up with stuff like that frequently if you haven't resorted to isolation. Given this game's low population, you really can't be afford to be too picky. Still, sometimes there's just too many warning signals to ignore.

How about the smart people or good players? How do I know when they're around?
Pretty much take the previous list and apply the opposite. Good grammar, following party guidelines, being skilled, extended vocabulary, etc. (If they use the term "Orwellian", they're pretty much a genius)

Isn't this shallow and stereotyping?
Well yeah. But stereotypes don't come about unless they've got something backing them up to give at least a semblance of truth. We simply don't have the time to get to know everyone as a person. Besides, given the kind of people you're dealing with on GC, judging a book by its cover usually proves accurate.

I know someone that does [blah] and they aren't [blah]!
There's an exception to every rule, I'm well aware of that.

How active are the mods?
They don't work on weekends, so things can "liven up" then. Still, they usually do ban the more extroverted idiots within a short amount of time. (the closet idiots they're not so strict about) However, it's still fairly annoying whenever you see one. The chat suddenly transforms itself into a brown-nosing festival upon their appearance.

Gaming: How to lern2GC
This is a pretty big section, so I'll be breaking it up into sub-sections. We'll start with...

What kind of game is GC?
Grand Chase is an action-MMORPG. Maybe more of a MORPG; not too "massive". It's a 2D side-scrolling platformer, with the game being split up between instanced stages and 2-6 player PvP matches. Each stage has three difficulty levels to it, each being unlocked after you've beaten the one previous to it. The difficulty level also awards more exp, but contains tougher monsters. Stages are split up into multiple rooms with portals connecting each, so there isn't a lot of "side" to "scroll". It relies more on timing and reflexes rather than character builds and a dozen different skills. Also, it has no trading system.

How does staging work?
Using a party list, you can view what parties are looking for members and what difficulty they're planning to do, as well as how much of the stage they want to do (you'll often see terms like 'half', 'rush', or 'full'. More on that later). You may also host parties of your own. Each party consists of 1-4 players.

Does it have a story to it?
Yes and no. "Yes" in that at the end and beginning of the stages you'll see some dialogue between the characters, and the fact that rather than have classes that you can mold to your liking, everyone you play as is a unique character in their own right (meaning their gender is unchangeable. Sorry guys). However, it never goes beyond those few dialogue scenes, most the community at larges pays no attention to. And you can't blame them as the story isn't really anything to write home about. Even the quest text is pretty generic. So the "no" part of my answer would be how little the story really effects anything you do.

So how do classes/races/jobs work?
Well, you can choose from (at current) 8 characters, each with a number of jobs. If you're a newbie, you'll start out with three: Elesis, the swords(wo)man, Lire the archer, and Arme the magician. If you want to play as the other four, you'll have to unlock them through mission scrolls bought from the "Academy" tab in the shop. The scrolls you pay for with real money are much easier than the ones bought with GP. But more on that later. Each character has a number of jobs they can choose from, with later versions not necessarily being better than the earlier. This essentially means that it's okay to stick with Elesis' first job if you're not as fond of her second, and you probably won't lose much power for your decision. And if you have weapons for either job, you can switch between them at any time (any time being before a stage or pvp match, not in the middle of them). The jobs are unlocked in order, meaning you can't get a a character's 3rd job without getting their second. Try and keep in mind what equipment is available for which jobs; sometimes you'll notice that the most powerful weapon you can get belongs solely to a certain job.

Also, once you unlock a character, it's there forever. Yes, you keep all characters simultaneously. They're as easy to switch to as the jobs for each character. The only drawback is the added difficulty to item management. It can get confusing balancing out equipment and items for all seven.

It might seem like a bummer to have most of the roster locked from the get-go, but the first three you start represent the most diverse combat methods. The other four are all essentially derivatives of Elesis, the melee character.

Also, there are no races. At least, none you can choose. Like genders, races are things that you can't change about the characters. If you wanna be the archer, you better not mind being an elf (or a girl) too.

Are there any party "roles" like other MMORPG's?
Not so much. You'll rarely, if ever, see a party asking for a certain class. They're all essentially damage-dealers, the only variation being how they do it. There is some healing, but it's usually a bad idea to heal at all, and there's only one skill that's decent at healing anyway. And that one costs money. While this does remove some diversification, ultimately it makes parties less exclusive.

How do builds and skills work?
The character and job you take pretty much have all the skills they'll ever get. You have no choice over which ones to buff, leave alone, etc. They're all there. Well, minus the cash skills available for some of the first jobs, but more on those later. Heck, you don't even have any choice over which stats to raise. While this may seem a bit stifling, it makes the game simpler for a simpler audience, plus you never have to worry about min/maxing and build respecs.

Questing, PvP, and leveling: GC's bread and butter
If you haven't guessed, the overall goal in GC is to level up, hopefully to the max level at present: 65. There are three ways to do this: questing, staging, and PvP, listed in order of importance and most recommended.

Questing
After you've gotten your first level (you start at level zero), you'll get your first quest. These are fairly self-explanatory, and if they don't tell you enough on their own, you can click on each individual requirement for a more thorough explanation. Something important to note is that if it tells you to obtain an item or beat a stage on, say, difficulty one, you can still do it on something higher. This helps you knock out multiple quests and quest objectives at a time if you group them all under higher difficulties. Quests tend to give you neat rewards and the largest chunks of exp, so you never want to miss any, excepting the mission scrolls you find strewn about stages. These are character-specific, so you have a 1/7 chance of getting a scroll for the character you're playing at that moment. Those you have to activate from your inventory, and the main point of their completion is potions, rather than exp. Always do your quests, except maybe the pvp quests. I'll explain why later.

Staging
You'll notice with staging that there are three difficulty levels for each stage. To unlock 2, you must beat 1, and to unlock 3, you must beat 2. Even if you beat 2 or 3 with a party host that does have them unlocked, you still won't have them for yourself. My advice here is to unlock each stage difficulty solo. This will get you a better feel for the stage itself, its boss, its platforming section, and the mobs. To put it shortly, you won't look like such a noob when you decide to party with others. Even if you get your butt kicked, keep trying to solo a stage's one and two-star versions. It's nice to know what the heck you're doing; particularly when everyone else doesn't. After your quests are done, grinding stages will be your main source of exp. There's a grinding guide on the official Ntreev forums, so I won't post anything like that here. The general rule is that if you want exp and there's no quests around, you do 3-star. There's also some items you can use to really boost your exp in stages, but more on that in the items section.

Stages are essentially a series of rooms connected by portals that eventually lead to the boss of the stage. To move from one room to another, all members must move to a portal. Or at least half of them, though they'll have to wait for a countdown to allow the other players to go in. If they don't, the party will move on with the majority of the players. In the event of a toss-up, I believe the portal the host is on will be the "victor". (though if there's such confusion among which portal to go to, chances are you're partying with morons)

As you go on, more and more stages will have platforming sections, which are pretty much like they sound. One drop, and you've lost a life. Sometimes players refuse to do them for fear of dying, but don't be noobs like them. Please?

Also, the way lag in this game works is a bit different. Everything more or less depends on the host, and if you try hosting yourself you'll soon find out whether or not you're fit to do that. If you get a bad host (about 1/4 of the parties), monsters may freeze in place and not take damage, and you'll see the host seemingly stand still. That's the game-breaker, anyway. Sometimes you'll get hiccups, or you might see some delayed hits. Hopefully not so much as to make it unplayable. It's good to find out early on whether your connection is suitable to host parties, otherwise you should stick to being a "follower".

Can't "Hosters" be "Followers" too?
That's not exactly charitable. Personal experience tells me there's a lot more of the latter than the former. A lot more.

It's important to note if you're doing a "rush", "half", or "full" run. Rush runs take the minimal amount of rooms leading to the boss. Half runs fill out a divided portion of the entire stage (usually which portion will be made obvious by the layout of the rooms). Full is when you do all the rooms. Usually it's best to do half, as that provides the most exp with the least hassle, but if someone's on a quest you'll often be rushing. Most parties will indicate which of the three they're doing, but if not it's best to ask so you don't wind up doing more or less than you wanted.

PvP
Other than the participation quests you get every now and then, STAY AWAY. If you really wanna do the quests where you need a certain amount of wins or kills, do everything you can before you have to interact with the public here. Get some friends, or if you have to buy a second computer, install GC on it, buy a cat and teach it to fight you in pvp. (It's considered an offense if you win in pvp from an opponent who doesn't fight back) You see, the negative effect of idiots can be diluted when they're forced to work together for a common goal, i.e. stages. However, when you pit them against each other and mix in their fragile yet over-inflated egos...the poop just hits the fan. It is probably the least fun thing you'll ever do in GC, which is weird seeing as how the game is actually centered around it.

Also, it's against the rules to let someone win or purposely lose to someone else. GC moderators are intent on making sure you don't weasel your way out of pvp, no matter how many times you headdesk.

Better let me explain that last one. You see, in stages you'll generally use only your standard attacks and 3rd level magic attacks. Only in PvP will you see most of the lower levels of magic utilized, as well as some balance brought to the classes. (It's fairly unanimous who is and who is not the most useful in staging; it becomes blurry when you bring pvp into account) There are so many things utilized in PvP that generally go ignored, or aren't even possible to do when it comes to staging. Seems kinda sad that it's such a bad part of the game, but don't fret. The staging is still pretty fun. You do get experience in PvP, but even if you won every match you got in, you'd have to do so inhumanely fast in order to beat the amount of experience you'd get from stages. Just say no kids, just say no!

Gameplay mechanics
Again, lot to cover. We'll start with...

Monster effects
In dungeons/stages you'll occasionally see mobs walking around with color-coded titles over their heads. These are fairly self-explanatory, such as the red "increased power" or green "restore HP", though some of them mean a hit from that enemy can induce status effects. The higher in difficulty you go, the more monsters will have them and the more each monster will have. (the maximum is three). Thankfully bosses don't get these, but some mini-bosses do. The exception would be champion mode, where EVERYONE, bosses included, has three of them. More on that later.

Money
As there is no trading in this game, money or GP has very little value. The maximum amount you can carry is 999,999 , a limit you can hit once you get into your mid-twenties. True, you can buy some equipment, but usually what'll prohibit you from wearing better gear won't be money, but the level necessary to wear it. Your GP mostly goes to mundane things like pet attacks, upgrading gems, and champion tickets. Practically anything of real value in this game comes from somewhere else. More on all of those previous items later.

HP regeneration
Yup, this happens! Unless you're really good, chances are you'll spend the majority of a stage hovering between 1-33% of your HP. This is the reason healing is so pointless; healers just give what isn't at all difficult for a monster to take back again, putting you back into the regen area. But if you're bad enough to actually need to be restored to full constantly, you really need to play better, not get healed more. However, if you get to zero but not knocked down, you'll spend time in a "fatal" state. Then healing can pull you back.

MP
Your skills are accessed from your mp bar, which rather than being activated by the push of a button, must be used by holding that button for a certain amount of time to "charge". To use a 1 mp skill, you might hold the button for .4 seconds, to use a 3 mp skill, you might hold it down for 1.2, etc. Three is the highest it can go, and consequently where your strongest skills are used. Each skill also grants you invincibility frames for their duration. Activating each skill also freezes any monsters within a certain vicinity, at least if someone doesn't hit them while you're performing the skill. The most basic way to get MP back is to hit monsters with basic attacks. You'll largely be limited to your 3rd MP attacks, as those give the most bang for your magic buck.

Champion Mode
This mode can be accessed from the continent menu under "World Map". This makes staging EXTREEEEEME! Basically it ups the difficulty of any given stage, aligns all the rooms (so there's no difference between rushing a champ. stage and "full"ing it), and gives all monsters and bosses 3 effects to them. The main purpose of this is challenge, exp, and crests. Crests can be seen from your item or "Equip" menu, under the button near the top labeled "collection". If you complete a stage on Champion Mode enough times, you can get it's crest. These are more like XBOX Live Achievements than useful in-game equips, as you must do the stages a lot. We're talking 80 times or so for the best one. The main way to get Champion tickets is either 200k GP a pop at the shop, or else one-a-day through daily attendance. I'll explain that in the third section. Also, don't expect many parties to be around for champion runs; most don't care to do that much work for a measly crest, though a few GC nuts might tag along with you for the very best crest.

Otto
Ah yes, my favorite part of the game. Somehow due to the platforming physics of the game, it's possible for a lot of melee characters to drop through a platform with the "down" key, hit a monster with their jump attack, and remain on the platform after they connect. To put it in button notation, Down + Z, rinse and repeat (or whatever you've set the attack command to). This can be done rapidly for very high damage, though the timing isn't easy. It does have the tendency to push monsters away, though this can be somewhat mitigated by holding the directional key you're facing while you otto. It's also the best way to show off and prove your "alpha" status among your peers. It's banned from official tournaments, but you don't really bother with pvp anyway....right?

Should I otto?
Depends. First you gotta make sure your character can do it. (Most melee characters can; the lone exception I can think of would be Lass' 1st job, Thief) You can usually find this out with a few random Down-Z presses in practice mode. Then it's all a matter of comparing your level of dexterity, timing, willingness to learn, and the difficulty each character brings to otto'ing. For instance, the Dragon Knight's and Spearman's ottos have a pretty big window between the two buttons, while the Druid or the Dancer have such weird windows that I'd have a better time getting 100 Super Jumps in SMRPG. What I will tell you is that otto'ing is one of the most enjoyable parts of the game. However, you'll have to decide whether or not the fun of otto'ing will, in the long run, outweigh the anti-fun of hurt fingers and lost minutes spent practicing for some level of consistency.

Items

Potions
The main source of potions in this game come from quest scrolls dropped from monsters in the dungeons. They're character-specific, so there's a 1/7 chance you'll get one specifically for your character, with that chance being smaller if you've got random distribution on (meaning anyone could get it). Still, they drop often, so if you can manage to get one per stage, you're in decent shape. The most important potions are the health variety, as if you use them when you're about to die (zero HP and about to hit the ground), you'll be able to do a "fake" resurrection.
You can only carry 3 of any kind of potion at a time; regardless of size. This means a maximum of 3 reds in any given dungeon, as opposed to 9 if you carry one of each degree. Magic potions are pretty much worthless; I tend to use them when I realize I barely don't have enough mp to use my 3rd skill. However, you can buy yellow mystery potions from the Power Up shop, giving you a maximum of 6 "save your life" pots instead of 3. The status effect removal potion could save your life, but they aren't too cheap and it's not often you'll die due to a status effect. Still, it happens.

Emotes
There's a separate tab in the Equip menu where you can equip ten different emotes. These are rewarded randomly upon completing dungeons or winning in pvp. Refrain from using, as these too make you look like an idiot. They're more for collection purposes, although you can use them as your "face" for your friends to see you by on their lists. You can combine 3 extras for 3,000 GP in order to get a new one. Like crests, these can be accessed from your collection button.

Quest rewards
You'll notice that almost all the equipment you receive from quests has an expiration date on it. You'll want to play enough so that by the time one set of equipment runs out, you'll have received the next quest set following, at least until you run out of quests altogether. If you don't have that much time or patience to devote to the game, a lot of the duration-based stuff will be lost on you. (including the much-beloved Queen's Jewel).

Power up points
These are obtained from daily attendance; a button at the top-right corner of your screen that will have a red ! when you've played about an hour and ten minutes. You can collect 100 points daily, usually along with a champion ticket. Bonus 100 points for having attended the whole week (you shameless nerd). These can be spent in the power up shop, mostly on potions and stage resurrections, though you can get the slime pet if you've no other options. Everything else in the shop is meh. Speaking of pets...

Pets
These widdle guys are just so cute. Pets have the nifty ability of following your around and boosting your stats by directly adding theirs to yours. If you buy and equip their (under the "Pet" tab under the Equip menu) attacks, they can also use those in stages. They can do a little extra damage, but for the most part they're for stunning a monster whose attack you may have or are eating. They tend to be much more useful in pvp, but I'm assuming you're sane enough not to enjoy that. If you're strictly anti-cash, the slime is your only option. If you do cash, you've got a much better selection. The best pets come from Gacha though. You can see/play that if you go to the shop tab. It's under the "Player Profile" Tab, at the right. Their attacks might be iffy, but I find the main function of pets is for the stat boost, and Gacha ones excel at that. They get experience and eventually level up each time you complete a stage or complete a pvp match. Don't do easy stages in the hopes of that though; it's better to level them casually as you go about your business. Some can also evolve, and it's up to you pay 6$ at level 0, 4$ at level 20, or some GP at level 40. I'd do it as soon as possible, as their level resets back down to 0 once they evolve. Being well-fed helps in their exp gain, and to do this you can either use gems or crystals. Those are your non-cash options, anyway (and the only ones you should consider). I prefer crystals, as they pretty much serve no other purpose, and you'll probably have more than what you know to do with after playing a while.

Gems and upgrading
These are bought (under the academy tab) for two things: Quests and Anklet/necklace fortification. I'll go into the latter. I don't know how it is with the GP options, (Mainly cause they're inferior. Get some money together, you hobo!) but with cash necklaces/anklets, you can upgrade them with gems. At around level 6 (which is easy to get to and will require 100 gems tops), they can no longer fall behind that point. After that it's a bit tougher. In my own experience, I've found the success rates for getting to +7 was 1/3, +8 being 1/9, and +9 (the final level) being 1/27. And it can degrade from 7 or 8, so you'll be wobbling back and forth from 6-8 for some time; anywhere from 500-1500 gems worth, according to some fortification horror stories. It's worth noting that in terms of pure stats, the sprinkler hoses, stupid though they look, give you overall more stat points than any of the full upgraded necklaces. And they're cheaper, to boot! But if having super awshum shinyness on your weapons and skills means that much to you, and you don't mind seeing "UPGRADE FAIL" over and over, by all means.

GP vs. Cash
Frankly put, Ntreev really wants you to spend money. It's no secret that the money-spenders in the game are much appreciated. Cash armor, accessories and weapons are around 1.5x better than their GP counterparts. Sometimes they even occupy level ranges that the GP ones don't. Even the pets are better (Gacha is a casher's game. And what an addictive game it is). Still, you won't see a lot of hardcore cashers running around. Most are fairly frugal, with a gacha pet here and there and maybe some exp-boosting items.

Should I cash?
Coming from a total moron who has spent hundreds of dollars on several MMORPGs, I strongly recommend you confirm your love for GC before you spend money on it. It's common sense, I know, but some of us not-so-frugal types are all too eager to get the most out of the game, only to find out later that the game wasn't all that great to begin with. I also recommend sticking with one favorite character; funding seven of them with cash items, even conservatively, can get pricey.

If you're absolutely sure you wanna spend money, here's a rough cash-by-level guide if you wanna get conservative:

0- Buy a Cash anklet for that character; save up your gems! (1800 points)
5- Get a Slime Helmet (boosts exp by 10%), if applicable (4500 points)
20- A Sprinkler Hose necklace (1600 points)
45- Either Peryton (if applicable) or Tiger Hawk accessories. I prefer Peryton for the attack, but they both equal out in terms of sheer point value. I'd avoid the upper head or the upper armor pieces if you plan to get the VIP items. But if you despise Gacha's luck factor, go ahead. The cost varies depending on if you go for 5 pieces or 3, as well as Peryton or TH. (Peryton is cheaper but not by much)
61- Saint's black armor and weapon

Gacha is optional, though the VIP stuff and the pets are better than your standard fare. What I like to do is buy a nice bushel of coins (I'm a hoar so I go for the stack of 23; you might feel luckier or cheaper than me though) and play until I get the GC Club. Wait until it runs out; you might re-think your character choice and decide to fund someone else. When your club membership expires, play again. Keep doing this until you've gotten the badge. If your character has no Gacha options available to them, try shooting for the best pet at the time. The flaw with this plan is that to get enough VIP badges (4) for the best equips, you'd have to Gacha for four characters, which may be more than you're looking to support. I managed to work around this because I'm afraid of commitment, and have sporadically gacha'd for many characters who I thought were "the one" at the time.

How about the skills under the academy tab?
Almost forgot! The three starting characters + Lass all have skills they can buy for their first jobs. The ones for their 3rd mp bars are just wonderful; much better than the free alternatives. And really that's all you want to buy, with the exception of Athena's Bless for 1st job Arme. It doubles the attack of the entire party, and you don't even have to group them together for everyone to get the same effect. (With the exception of Self Heal; it heals more, but it can't recover anyone from fatal) It also lasts for a good 30 seconds. A 1st job Arme without this usually comes across as a disappointment. Also, if you gacha I wouldn't buy any with the exception of Lass'. You'll get plenty just by trying to get other things. >_>

List of other noteworthy items, cash and otherwise
Queen's Jewel
You get these occasionally from random quests; arguably the biggest help when it comes to grinding. Doubles your exp and gp. Plus, if you're ever wishy-washy about who to level, this is the benefit that'll help no matter who you play. Not everyone in a party needs to carry one, but if you're suspicious like me you'll want to wear it 24/7 anyway in case the carrier leaves the party for whatever reason.

Turtle Shell
Not all characters have these, though they can be handy. At the loss of 10% of your stats, this item will boost your exp yet again. I think it may even benefit others as well, though I haven't confirmed this. Only drawback is that it has a limited number of uses, and they can be used up even if you leave the stage. If you wanna make the most of it, you'll have to stay off ragequitting.

Natal Ring
You can get this from your normal quests, and can equip it like a potion. Unlike the resurrection in the Power Up shop, you may use it as many times in a stage as you wish, provided you have enough uses of the item itself. You should reserve this for when absolutely everyone is dead; but you never know. Maybe the one guy left standing can tough it out.

Characters: How to pick 'em and my thoughts on a few
There's a lot of motivations when it comes to picking a favorite character. There's power, role-playing (I am a guy ergo I must play a guy), etc. Overall, I think the strongest one is simply how much fun you have with their playstyle. You might be in love with Ronan's righteousness and divinity, but you'll be shouting some very unholy things when you find out how low his DPS is. This might not apply to everyone, and I'll admit my reasons for favoritism aren't "deep", but the way a character handles and plays is always tangible and right there, and tends to either make you love them or hate them as you see their strengths and weaknesses. It may be harder to analyze your likes and dislikes regarding sheer mechanics though. Figuring out if you like nature enough to favorite Ryan is easy; figuring out if you prefer melee to ranged combat, as well as if the ability to transform versus other abilities appeals to you may require a bit more thought. Still, it's worth it. On to the characters themselves!

Elesis
1st job: Knight
This is the character I'd recommend for beginners, or for people who are stuck on which of the many many melee characters they want to choose. She's very easy to play and is to GC what Mario is to Smash Brothers. Want more power? Go for Ryan. Want more agility? Go for Lass. Want to block or use buffs? Go for Ronan. Wanna be more annoying? Go for Amy. Her otto is medium difficulty.

Lire
1st job: Archer
Lire's playstyle is completely different from everyone else's out there. Rather than juggle or otto or set up combos, her main hurdle to overcome is manual aiming. This feels weird and clunky at first, but soon you'll feel like a master archer as you start mentally calculating gravity, distance, and position. She can double jump, but isn't too fast. (She's fat and she don't run too fast, but she's faster than me...) That, and her 2nd MP skill is the most fun I've ever had with a single skill. Most people are pretty stupid with her though, and tend to knock-down everything in sight, particularly if it has the skill "shock wave" combined with a status effect. Sometimes they'll continue to shoot at downed opponents, hitting them just as they get up with yet another knockdown. D:

Arme
1st job: Magician
Again, very different playstyle. Her main attacks require a bit of setup, meaning you often have to think farther ahead than most if you wanna get your licks in and survive. Sounds about right for a magician. She has an "otto" of sorts, and it involves hitting an enemy with her jump attack as she jumps between platforms, or between the ground and a platform. The enemy will be continuously juggled, as her jump attack hits more than once. She also has the coolest 3rd MP skill; a meteor swarm that hits just about everything. She can also heal, although you'll often see them give up a potential meteor to do that. Her dash has invincible frames, making it easy for her to get in and out of tight spots, which is good seeing as how she's the least mobile character of the game.

Another feature of hers is the ability to charge MP. Lately people are making me wish she couldn't, though. See, because Arme's are so over powered, anyone that plays her tends to become very self-important. They will often hold up a run for 2-3 minutes (doesn't sound like much, but it tends to grate on you, especially since most runs are 8-10 minutes in length) just so they can sluggishly refill their mp. THE HOLY LIGHT WILL LEAD US. I've decided to turn the sound off of the game just for that. Some of them even have their 3rd MP skill their only means of attack, meaning they'll liken themselves to leeches in every room while they proceed to amaze everyone with TEH POWURH OF TEH MEETEYORE. If they had half a brain they'd realize that they can recharge MP faster if they just fought like everyone else. Problem is that when they do that they tend do disrupt the melee characters by ZZ+Down'ing the mobs into the air. But alas, we are the proletariat, and Arme is the Bourgeois. And like the Bourgeois, Magicians tend to be much more impressive when they've got money. Athena and Fire Storm = <3. Without them = :/ She also wins the award for "Most Likely To Charge MP Instead Of Attempt The Platforming Sections."

Second job: Alchemist
The worst class in the game, as far as dungeoning goes. Try it out once in the practice room for kicks, then never again. Awful mobility, and her main means of attack, bombs, disrupts everyone by making them jump up in the air. Yes, she sucks so bad she has actually made bombs uncool. I hope Morshu drowns her in lamp oil and then lynches her with some rope. She can also restore a decent amount of healing with one bar of MP. That'd be cool, if healing wasn't so pointless and everyone didn't immediately worship her for doing so. She's the self-proclaimed "support" class, which in this game makes her anything but supportive. Avoid.

3rd job:Warlock
This is the one Arme job so far which cannot recharge MP, which lovingly saps the annoyance potential from some of her players. Strange style of play though; all her attacks require her to build up either a lesser or greater spirit with the attack key, then a combination of arrow keys to decide what attack the form takes. Not that it matters much though; 9/10 times you'll rely on Salamander to do your damage. And what damage you do! Finally Arme gets a bit better at close-range. She does have the odd habit of doing more damage with her first mp skill than her 3rd when it comes to single targets. Still bad mobility, still powerful aoe, but better attacks outside of her magic. Very nice. Ah, she can otto too. The damage is so pitiful there's no point, though.

4th job: Battle Mage
Think Magician, but better attacks and even bigger meteor, sans Athena's and Self Heal. Basically if you haven't cashed your 1st job out, there's no reason not to like this one. Better in every way.

Lass
1st job: Thief
Pretty fun. He's agile and has a double jump, and his "otto" isn't half bad either. It's sort of like the Magicians, only you don't have to juggle them. Just *jump* Z *drop* z, etc. You feel pretty assassin-y when you can wipe out an enemy from behind this way. His normal combo is both a curse and a blessing: The first hit accelerates him forward, sometimes passing smaller mobs entirely. One the other hand, it's cool to see yourself zoom in for the kill. His normal combo also doesn't tend to knock down either, so you can gang up on something knowing you're not disrupting anything. He is, however, the most frequently asked-for character on world chat, which means we all hate him deep inside.

Ronan
1st job: Spell Knight
Gotta say this: lamest voice ever. Turn the sound off when he's around. Not much to say about him, really. More or less like Elesis, with the exception of a fairly weak, small, aoe 3rd MP skill, and a minor bless which raises attack power by 20%. Lasts a good while, but needs everyone to be gathered together in order for it to work. His normal combo doesn't knock down, however, which is awesome because the two ice sparks at the end are kicking rad. His otto is about as difficult as Elesis' too. And like I've said before, Ronan in general has possibly the worst DPS in the game, making him a sigh-inducer whenever you see one join a party. But he looks like Marth and has a sword so everyone wants to be him. Hence the term "Ronoob" was created.

2nd job: Dragon Knight
The damage hasn't changed much. His 3rd MP White Magic skill, the dragon, is pretty sweet looking. The damage is still below mediocre though. One of the better characters to practice otto'ing with though. And if you don't have any platforms to use, he can juggle mobs pretty well with his glaive.

3rd job: Aegis Knight
If you can't otto, I'd say drop him. His regular combos outside of that have such pitiful damage in comparison with his other jobs. Not to mention he's a bit slower. However, he does have the ability to block (not as useful as you'd think, given the small window of timing and how often you don't think of using it). And his "Blame Buster" Attack is pretty cool; most likely the first time you'll see 1000 points of damage at once. His otto'ing difficulty is about 3/5.

4th job: Abyss Knight
Guess whose otto became impossible? I'd say it jumped to a 5/5 this time. Kudos if you can manage to do it consistently. His specials have become stronger though, and his sword has attained Zorro-like finesse and agility. And my word, is he shiny! Given Ronan's non-existent damage, I'd always figured his appeal was style. None more stylish than this one. I'd mention the jewel-aspect of his Tyrfing, but you won't use it at all in stages unless you just want to prove that you can.

Ryan
1st job: Druid
Again, very annoying male voice. Coupled with the fact that he's a druid(in essence, nature boy), he seems like a total pansy. Like the Abyss Knight, his otto is pretty difficult. 5/5, easy. Not that it matters; people tend to ditch him as soon as Sentinel becomes available. Until then he's not much fun to play. You'll be spamming his 3 hit combo constantly to avoid knockdown, and your strongest attack is your 2nd MP bar, the 3rd being reserved for the never-used resurrection. People really shouldn't die that often when you're in your twenties. And of course, his transformation is Wolfy the Hedgehog. Joyyyyyy

2nd job: Sentinel
Holy crap! It's like a punch to the face of awesome! All the grinding of the awful Druid was worth it for this. The Nephilim is a total powerhouse, plain and simple. Not only that, but every time he transforms (roughly once a room, if you're good with your MP) he gains a good chunk of HP, not to mention a defense boost that lets him keep it. He just...destroys everything. He does four-hundred points of damage when everyone else is in the 100's. He's essentially an Arme designed for single targets and given much more mobility. Only bad part is that his hitbox is enlarged, making him a bit more vulnerable. Oh, and someone made an attempt at coolness in bfb today about how he and Dark Amnon were brothers. *facepalm* His otto as his normal form is easy; 2/5, but like the Warlock, it's damage is weak, especially compared to the raw ownage of Neph.

Amy
First job: Dancer
Wasn't kidding about the annoying part. Again, turn your sound off for her. She's like Barbie + Sakura + Selphie + every annoying, stereotypical female you've ever played in a videogame rolled up into one. Girly with a capital "G". All men who play her, prepare to be emasculated! She can go between two forms: Dancing and Fighting. For the most part, you'll stick with fighting. The combos are longer. She has the benefit of being more mobile than everyone with her combined powers of double jumping and air-dashing. Finally, no one will say "first" at the platforming sections anymore. Her otto is way hard, by the way. 5/5 yet again. Her 3rd MP is a series of kicks that gives the enemy, even gigantic boss characters, far too long to get out of them. Like Ryan, you'll use her second most of the time. And like Ryan...

Second job: Muse
...she makes a glorious comeback! Muse is all kinds of awesome. Switch to fighting mode to get around and otto the crap out of whatever's unlucky enough to be on a platform. Once everything's grounded, go back to dance mode and fire notes at them while avoiding knockdown. <3 Her 3rd MP in dance form isn't bad, either. Other than her personality and attire, there's nothing about her not to love.

That's it? What about so-and-so? (THE UGLY ONNNNNNNNNE!)
Haven't played them much, so I couldn't say. You'd have to ask someone else.

Stuff you probably don't care about
Sorry for the tl;dr ; you'll be glad to know that my guide is finally over! Yaaaaay! Sorry about the lack of pictures.

Who are you in-game?
Sententious.

I have a question, comment, or critique!
Feel free to mail it to me on here, and if it's not dumb, I'll give it a look-see.

Happy Chasing, everyone.

Last edited by mangoman; 06-16-2009 at 11:43 AM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
05-25-2009   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerSotW Beginner

Shazbot is a jewel in the roughShazbot is a jewel in the roughShazbot is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Shazbot
IGN: Shazbot
Class: IM/LM/FM/CM/DS/Necro/Witch to_wizard
Level: 64/60/57/42/42/41/41
Guild: Itadakimasu

Quote:
However, it's still fairly annoying whenever you see one. The chat suddenly transforms itself into a brown-nosing festival upon their appearance.
Agreed. And I think the GMs should try to work some hours on the weekend, since that's usually the days where the more populated server is occasionally full. :U

I'm on GW2! Except I don't know my own Account name!

05-25-2009   #3 (permalink)
【Sun Knight】
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineEmil Chronicle OnlineGrand ChaseRagnarok Online
Awards Event WinnerMr. ggFTWMoM AwardSotW Junior

Noperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant future

Seems good so far, but you really should have reserved a few posts since this seems like a long guide.

06-02-2009   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler

Cybolt is on a distinguished road
IGN: Cyria

The guide was a pretty good read and quite useful in trying to explain to my friends just what GC is and why I'm still playing it instead of X new game. Also, will you ever get around to so-and-so and the ugly one? Cheerleader and what's-her-face are already up. =P

06-03-2009   #5 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

Thanks Cybolt. Glad to hear it's helpful. Unless they release someone after Sieghart that's more cleric-y than Ronan, I probably won't try anyone else. (They're all cheerleader anyway. Are the girls of GC ever anything less than perky?)

06-03-2009   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

DUHgoBackToBasics is an unknown quantity at this point
IGN: Pye
Level: 54 lass: 55 ronan: 46 lire: 44ryan: 38arme
Guild: none

well I think your guide is quite good. You might want to mention how each character can or cannot air grab.

The future is always a surprise guess we just have to wait til the end comes until then one life, one chance, live life to its finest extent.

Thank You cherrypandah for the gundam signature

06-04-2009   #7 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Regular

Zimonada is on a distinguished road

It's informative, but could be better IMO. TBH, the way you wrote majority of the guide sounds like you're shoving your opinions down our throats, even though I'm guessing that's not the intent. It's fantastic you only like ___, ____, and _____, but that doesn't mean the rest of them are horrible. You might want to focus on the pros/cons of ALL the characters you're listing before declaring them to the newbies reading this as good/bad.

EDIT: I also wanted to mention this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman
What are some tell-tale signs of idiots/bad players?
Glad you asked! Here are some I've noticed in my own experience, in no particular order:
1. Having a username derived from an anime, manga, comic book, etc.
2. Lack of teh gud grammarz; this includes lack of capitalization, punctuation, proper spelling, etc.
3. Overuse of smilies
4. Overuse of humor-based acronyms (rofl, lol, lmao, etc.)
5. Placement of said acronyms at the end of own jokes
6. Placement of "just kidding", "joking", or "jk" at end of own jokes.
7. Joining rooms their level prohibits them from joining, then beg to stay regardless. In fact, beggars of any sort, especially the ones that ask for help with character quests, which usually goes together with the begger in question being very under-leveled.
8. Tend to ask questions that are easily answered with a 5-minute search on a forum (guilty as charged)
9. ALL CAPS
10. Constantly knocking down a mob (Lires are notorious for this)
11. Limited vocabulary
12. Slow typing speed (Takes them about 10 seconds to say "lol")
13. Aged seventeen and under
14. Getting to the portals last (assuming a relatively similar starting position with everyone else, excepting platforming sections. The important thing there is trying)
15. (Arme only) Charging outside the portals, with the exception of gathering MP to heal a fatal
16. (Amy only) Doing the mp-restoring taunt, with the exception of helping heal a fatal.
17. Healing at all, with the exception of healing a fatal or Self Heal
18. Actually being so bad as to necessitate constant healing for survival.
19. Refusing to participate in the platforming sections of stages.
20.Not knowing when to do certain stages
21. Leaving in the middle of stages for reasons other than lag or RL obligations
22. Not following the intended purpose of a party (For example, choosing to rush when it said half)
23. Using weaker, longer-ranged attacks when there are stronger melee attacks available for the sake of keeping themselves safe. (Such as using Great Undine when there's plenty of openings for lesser Salamander, etc.)
24. Worst of all, leeching. There's no party kick function, so if you don't notice these guys from the get-go, you'll let them tag along without fighting simply because you don't feel like throwing away the effort. I'm sure they're penalized some for not fighting, though it's pretty minor.
Honestly, this list would include about 90% of the GC population. I highly doubt that many of us are "idiots". It's true most "idiots" do these things, but you might want to remove some of them. Your experience does not encompass the definition of a GC "noob" for the rest of us. Things that I bolded you should remove, IMO.

One more thing, you should change saying that PvP is horrible. It's quite fun, even if you aren't good, so long as you're able to manage your rage at all the stupid people you'll play against. And on that note, add somewhere that you shouldn't "trade wins", as it's bannable.

So, in a nutshell, it sounds like you're assuming a lot, from my perspective anyway. And when you assume... yeah. I also want to point out I don't think it's horrible, but there are things I think should definitely be changed. This has the makings of a good guide, once refined a bit.

Last edited by Zimonada; 06-04-2009 at 12:52 PM.

06-04-2009   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler

Cybolt is on a distinguished road
IGN: Cyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimonada
It's informative, but could be better IMO. TBH, the way you wrote majority of the guide sounds like you're shoving your opinions down our throats, even though I'm guessing that's not the intent. It's fantastic you only like ___, ____, and _____, but that doesn't mean the rest of them are horrible. You might want to focus on the pros/cons of ALL the characters you're listing before declaring them to the newbies reading this as good/bad.

EDIT: I also wanted to mention this:

Honestly, this list would include about 90% of the GC population. I highly doubt that many of us are "idiots". It's true most "idiots" do these things, but you might want to remove some of them. Your experience does not encompass the definition of a GC "noob" for the rest of us. Things that I bolded you should remove, IMO.

One more thing, you should change saying that PvP is horrible. It's quite fun, even if you aren't good, so long as you're able to manage your rage at all the stupid people you'll play against. And on that note, add somewhere that you shouldn't "trade wins", as it's bannable.

So, in a nutshell, it sounds like you're assuming a lot, from my perspective anyway. And when you assume... yeah. I also want to point out I don't think it's horrible, but there are things I think should definitely be changed. This has the makings of a good guide, once refined a bit.
Well to be fair, MM DOES address the issues that you are bringing up at the beginning of his guide that the entire guide could be seen as being biased through his own perspective and that he is focused on staging/dungeoning as opposed to PvP.

The way I see it, the guide is part humor, satire, and actual information with the author's opinion added to it. The list you brought up is a good example of the aforementioned traits as it starts off believable and quickly becomes ridiculous to the point were the reader has to start making their own judgments. Of course, anyone who has played GC for a few hours can see firsthand for themselves whether it is true or not.

06-05-2009   #9 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

DUH: Well I would, except that air grabbing is a pvp-only function and that, of course, is pure evil.

Zimon: Yeah, a lot of that is my own opinion. I don't find it "ridiculous" though, haha. >_> Regarding that list though, I don't imply that once you do even one of those things you're an idiot forever and ever. Those are just signs that point to incompetency, that's all. Besides, even if 90% of the community was idiotic, that would match up perfectly with Sturgeon's Law. Heck, some might even argue that's low-balling it for the GC community.

And yeah, I know some people find pvp fun. Why they do is beyond my grasp, but I'm aware. I wanted to get into the specifics about why mechanically it isn't very good, but I figured if just about all the people you play it with are horrible, then that'd be enough for a reasonable person to stay far far away. I just don't think it's a fun activity if practically everyone else you play it with reminds you of the AGK. Glad that you mentioned the trading wins thing though, shoulda' put that in there.

07-11-2009   #10 (permalink)
cheese on a stick

Globalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of lightGlobalastro is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Globalastro Send a message via MSN to Globalastro Send a message via Yahoo to Globalastro Send a message via Skype™ to Globalastro
IGN: Globby (Wonderking)
Class: Wizard lt_mage
Level: 4x
Guild: Prinny doods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman

Lire
1st job: Archer
Lire's playstyle is completely different from everyone else's out there. Rather than juggle or otto or set up combos, her main hurdle to overcome is manual aiming. This feels weird and clunky at first, but soon you'll feel like a master archer as you start mentally calculating gravity, distance, and position. She can double jump, but isn't too fast. (She's fat and she don't run too fast, but she's faster than me...) That, and her 2nd MP skill is the most fun I've ever had with a single skill. Most people are pretty stupid with her though, and tend to knock-down everything in sight, particularly if it has the skill "shock wave" combined with a status effect. Sometimes they'll continue to shoot at downed opponents, hitting them just as they get up with yet another knockdown. D:
As a lire who's just returned to grand chase after almost a year, i have to say that while the bolded statement is somewhat true, it's not as annoying as most of the melee player's i've seen lately and therefor the your point has become moot.

While it is true that many lires knock things down at the end of every combo, every room i've been in lately has at least 1 melee character that abuses the dash attack which instantly knocks down the mob in the first hit, then they run to the next. With lires that cannot semi-otto like i do, they still get off 4 shots then the knock down which still gives other melee characters a chance to get some hits in, but if i get one more ronan who dash attacks into the mob(s) that i'm currently ottoing and then runs to the next, effectively knocking down every mob on the map in succession with only landing a single hit, i'm going to SCREAM.