ggFTW (
-   Grand Chase Guides (
-   -   In-depth Alchemist Guide (

Cow 10-21-2008 10:55 PM

In-depth Alchemist Guide

Created by Cow

*NOTE* Guide is incomplete, as of now I am also the person that made all the pretty images, aren't I awesome? Hopefully Egeus will make me prettier images :(

October 21st, 2008
* Guide Creation
* Hard Copy Imageless Guide released.
* Incomplete
* Version 1.00
* Subsections added

I'm expecting the whole guide to be created, you can expect releases to be in the order as of the table of contents. The next release is "Strategy II: Fart on Me"

Hint - for a quick jump simply hit control + f and type in the code on beside your respective section.

*[E1] Contact and Opinions
*[E2] Mumbo Jumbo
*[E3] History of Arme - Egeus / Cow Style
*[G1] Introduction of Alchemist
*[G2] Skill Description and Pairing
[G2.1]Booby Trap
[G2.2]Cloud Kill
[G2.3]Big Bomb
*[G3] Equipment
[G3.1] Survival Equipment
[G3.2] Team Equipment
*[S1] Strategy I: Grip and Yo Momma
[S1.1] Delay Grip
[S1.2] Multiple Grip
*[S2] Strategy II: Fart on Me
*[S3] Strategy III: High Fiber Intake
*[S4] Strategy IIII: Bombs Go Boom
*[S5] Strategy V: Antelope Looks Good
*[S6] Strategy VI: Lions However, are Scary
*[B1] Attack Break Down - Combos
*[B2] Speed Break Down - Lightning Dash
*[O1] Map Opinions
*[O2] Item Opinions
*[T1] Fight or Flight Table (Include strat)
*[C1] Credits

If you wish to contact me or relay an opinion on my guide and do not wish to reply in my thread there are multiple ways you can contact me.

The most convenient and easiest way to contact me is via msn messenger:

If you wish to contact me via the official Grand Chase forums then click here

If you wish to contact me through my e-mail please use my msn e-mail

If you wish to contact me through AIM you may contact me via:

Please inform me before doing so as I rarely use AIM.

If you wish to contact me through xfire you may contact me by messaging:

I do not mind if you use my guide in anyway as long as you credit me as the author. If you wish for me to post the guide for you in some other location please inform me and I will do so. The guide took effort to make so please give proper credit where is dueeee.

Thanks, Cow

Current websites that my guide is being posted and developed on:

Grand Chase - Forums

Arme was very unfortunate throughout her childhood, lacking the proper education to place her into a successful atmosphere. It was a cruel, dark, autumn day, September 23rd, when Arme got abducted by the Black Magic Foundation (BMF: CEO and Executive Officer Kaze Aze). Arme was a young unfortunate individual, about 8 years old, and forced to a life of necromancy. Arme however disliked her schooling. Her teacher, Mr. Gardosen, greatly disapproved of Arme's style, which was generally more sacred than the standard ways taught at the school. One Day, Gardosen spoke with the principal, Dark Anmon, about expelling Arme, because she was converting her skills of necromancer into skills of holy light. After reviewing records, Dark Anmon agreed to expel Arme, the first expulsion ever, and opened an abyss for Arme to sink into and be lost forever.

Arme was tossed into this "infinite" Abyss, with nothing but darkness and despair, however... Arme's knowledge of holy magic radiated out to the Knight Master, the Goddess of Bermesiah, Ellia, and Xenia, where judgement was destined to happen. Arme was branded by a mark of the Knight Master, where Holy Light will always shine to guide. The Holy Light appeared into the Abyss, shining a guidelight for Arme to follow. As Arme followed the light, she developed new strength, and eventually left the Abyss, landing in the domain of Wendy, with 2 other companions ousted from their previous lives.

Combining the Knight Master's Holy Abilities ~Cure, Bubble, Alchemy~ and her Necromancer Abilities from her past school ~Land Mine, Cloud Kill, Big Bomb~ Arme travels across the continent destroying those who oppose what she believes is formidable.

Also, Egeus says she found her punch skill on the street while shopping for new shoes. A hobo stopped her and gave her and showed her some shiny custom made scrolls containing special skill. After seeing these scrolls, she comes to conclude that society has FINALLY realized her greatness, to the point where they made skills for her. Arme quickly sees the punch skill, thinking that is perfect for her. When Arme was a child she always wanted big hands, because she always failed at the piano. Arme quickly bought the skill and tested it on the hobo, destroying him. (I guess.) He also wants to inform you how she got 3 lives. She's half a cat divided by 1/7th of a cat (??). That is all.

What Really Happened: Who Cares :(

Credit of Story: Egeus and Cow (not sure if we want to take credit on this haha)

The beauty of alchemist is it's versatility. Literally any player can use alchemist. Alchemist can play many styles: Strategic, Offensive, Defensive, Support, and Hybrid. Moves like her spin provide great offense, cloud and booby trap provide strategy, cure provides great support, cloud and punch provide great defense as well as offense, and all styles can be mixed to create a hybrid alchemist.

On Alchemist one is not limited to just one thing. You can become a great master of grip spamming, with multiledge grips and easy freeze grips. You can restrict player movements with cloud, becoming a sort of crippler. You can create items to give you a great edge, the ability to resurrect, many other things. Alchemist is the most in-depth class in the game, without a doubt, and requires a player to be fully aware of everything she is capable of.

Things to check to make sure you are suitable as an alchemist:

*You are well adapted to judgement, deciding when to cash and how to dash is key. Determining when you can do multi combinations, when you can cloud, all is very key to becoming a good Alchemist. If you are not good at judgement or strategy I suggest a different class.

*You don't mind the low defence or health. Alchemist, being a mage, suffers clearly in health and defence. Every hit is critical, so maintaining a good offense is the best way to maintain your own health.

*You enjoy getting pelted by lire arrows. Yes, it happens. Yes, it is annoying.

*You are a good team player. If you wish to play alchemist outside of survival, you must be adapt and be able to play well in a team. A good alchemist rarelly lets his ally die. Alchemist have the ability to revive a fallen player if cured at the right time.

*You enjoy setting up things that take great precision to perform. Setting up most of the alchemist's combos require great dexterity and precision, as well as excellent timing.

*You loveeeee abusing people with items in non-item mode. Item creating is HUGE, and can give a great edge over players. Use to your advantage!

GP Black Magic:

*[G2.1] Booby Trap: Despite how useless this skill looks, it's actually vital to some alchemist strategies. This bomb provides a good 30 seconds of protection, warning, and combo set ups. Basically you use this skill when you are carefully PLANNING IT. Do not randomally set up bombs, as they provide minimal damage and only accomodate less than a second of protection. Bombs are INVISIBLE so only you will see them.

A few things you can use Booby trap for:

*Place bombs within a screens distance or in front of you to prevent melee from surprising you. If a mine is in front of you, you can be sure a melee won't get off a swing. Make sure to keep it ADEQUATE DISTANCE or a first job elesis will enjoy a cash bonanza on you.

*Place bombs to set up ledge grabs. By placing a bomb a little in and under a ledge, upon impact a character will fly up and be offered to you like a spider is offered a fly. Will be explained later in Strategy section.

*Place bombs to set up spins or clouds. When you place a bomb in easy reach, and you see an enemy running towards it, you can assume they will hit it, explode, and fly up. You may either spin under them, so as they fall they will take MULTIPLE pot hits, or you can cloud their falling point. More of this in Strategy, because a simple cloud may result in minimum damage when they smack into the ground, and a bomb to stand them back up may result in a counter.

A few fun things you can use Booby trap for:

*Place Booby trap on lairs, such as the middle of marsh, and when one trap goes off, the player that activated it will fly all the way to the top.

*Place Booby traps on top of eachother, resulting in damage equivalent to a grip, I really don't suggest this, which is why it's considered "fun"

*[G2.2] Cloud Kill: The main arsenal of an alchemist. Cloud kill is beyond a doubt in my mind the best two bar in the game. It's reliable, provides protection, provides excellent offense, has huge Area of Effect, hastes anyone inside of it, can be comboed with just about anything, and can be stacked on top of itself if enough MP is acquired again.

A few things you can use Cloud Kill for:

*When you need health, you can sit in the corner with a Cloud Kill in front of you. You regain 2 Bars faster than you lose them if you're able to keep a steady amount of Holy Light pouring into you. The only class that can truly hurt you in this situation is lire, perhaps an elesis rushing in with storm blade. More of this in strategy.

*When a player is in your cloud, any skill is amplified by a huge amount on delay. Basically every action in the cloud is "slowed down", when a free animation is casted, the freeze will last longer because of the cloud's haste. When a player falls in the cloud, simply freeze the screen using cure or giant punch to prevent the opponent from an easy escape. More on this in Strategy, including a discussion of ice pixie.

*When a player is in your cloud, throw bombs at them to amplify the stun effect - I personally do not recommend this unless you have absolutely no MP, they just used a 3 bar, or they are going to get out.

*Place clouds on edges where players are likely to fall, and if a fatal player falls off you get the kill.

*Place clouds on ledges, weaken a player, pot spin them off the edge, they'll slowly head towards the edge because of haste, when you can jump down and prepare to multiple hit pot smash as they fall down. More on this in strategy.

*Place cloud kills on idiots that do a get up attack as they get up.

*Place cloud kill in the middle of a mob of people to find a great big smile on your face.

*Jump in front of an a melee with a predictable path to summon a cloud for a good stickage.

*If a player gets froze above you, while in a cloud, wait until they are falling, run under them and spin, you'll get a multihit pot smash, if you are near a ledge they may fall off. More in strategy.

*Set up easy multigrips. Place a cloud near the edge for easy multiple grips if you are bad at normal multiple grips. More on this in Strategy.

*Jump in after a player uses a skill, providing a nice comfy cloud for them to find themselves in. Also you can cloud a player stuck in a stun or pixie animation.

*Grip a player 3 times in a really high edge, drop down holding 2 bars, hit the ground before the player, summon your 2 bar for them to fall in, proceed to pot smash.

A few fun things you can use Cloud Kill for:

*Create a cloud on a portal of Gorge of Oath, punch a player facing outwards, use the teleporter, wait a moment, punch, the player will come flying over into your new punch, and will fly into your cloud again, where you can teleport back over to proceed the ownage.

*Create a cloud to freeze a player, have your crossbow buddy bring on the harpy!

*[G2.3] Big Bomb: This creates 3 big blasts that do a moderate amount of damage to players, reaching in all forward ratios. The delay on it is pretty significant, and really isn't worth it in my opinion. To bring out the higher dice of big bomb, set down a mine and hit a player as they fly in the air in front of you. You may also do bomb combo to lay down a preparing bomb, just z.

I am not at all experienced with Big Bomb and I do not wish to provide players with strategies involving it, as I personally believe 3 bars can be better used for cloud kill / cure combo.

Cash Black Magic:

*[G2.4] Punch: This move is Grrrrrr-eat, if you can afford it, get it. Punch is a high impact cash move that does tons of damage and happens instantly. This move is all or nothing, and has a relatively big AoE. Players hit by punch will fly a full screen's distance (depending on the map) away from the impact.

A few things you can do with Punch:

*When a player is stuck in a cloud you can punch them to get a good amount of damage + a cloud freeze. Before the player flies away, swoop in for a grip to get even more damage. The extended freeze animation will make the player stationary in the cloud for all molestation to occur. If you freeze a player off the ground, instead of gripping, simply pot smash into them.

*Punch a player straight up into the wall, as they come back down, dash into them using the pot smash animation, as they come back down you'll multiple hit them.

*Punch a player away from you if you're tight on space.

*Punch a low health player to get a kill.

*Punch a player right beside you, and dash up and grip them before they fly away (Hard without a little lag.)

*Punch 3 times, then run up and grip them.

*Punch a player while they're in a cloud, run up to a ledge where you know they'll go, block their path of travel, when they nail you, begin multiple grips.

White Magic:

*[G2.5] Cure: This move is excellent as well. Cure heals by %, not by numerics (afaik), so no matter how much vitality the target has, they'll get healed a LOT. 3 cures should full heal a character. In high level games with 1xxx vitality and 1xxx defence, alchemists are a luxury to have as a tank will NEVER die. Cure can also substitute for punch in solo play.

A few things you can do with Cure:

*Heal a teammate, up to 3 (dungeon), 2 pvp.

*Activate freeze grips, as a player gets up cure them in place.

*Freeze a player in your cloud.

*[G2.6] Saver: This move is pretty much garbage... at least in my opinion, hey everyone has their moves I suppose. It creates saver bubbles on everyone on your team - EXCEPT you.

A few things you can do with saver:

*Freeze grip someone as they get up (Not recommended)

*Cast Savers on teammates.

*Freeze an enemy in your cloud.

*[G2.7] Alchemy: This move is excellent if you get a chance to use it. Alchemy enables an Alchemist the awesome ability to create an item in even non-item mode. Items that can be produced are rated on importance (may vary depending on situation):

- Haste
- Mp Restore
- Reflect
- Hp Restore
- Invincibility
- Invisibility
- Wings
- Gold

A few things you can do with Alchemy (ITEM STRATEGIES WILL BE DISCUSSED LATER IN THE GUIDE):

*Duplication, due to lag, two players can get an item. Have the alchemist create an item, as soon as the animation is over, have the second player dash into the item while the alchemist begins her dash into the item. Both players will get the item.

*When no players are attacking you, start creating items to use later in the match.

*When your MP bar is full, go ahead and use some mp to create an item, unless you're going for cloud / punch combo.

A few fun things you can do with Alchemy:

*Play a game with 6 alchemist, have them all create items until you stockpile coins. Have one player collect ALL the coins and then murder him. Watch as tons of coins fly out of him like hes a piece of boss meat.

Equipment is important, beeeery important.

If you can use cash, you can use a castle lord set if you choose to wear a turtle shell with it. Punch should also be included in your arsenal.

If you do not wish to use castle lord, you should stockpile on defence accessories to provide you with suitable defence and vitality, as if a player gets stuck in a cloud combo they are dead anyway. A multihit potsmash will also OHKO.

If you do not use cash, you will want to provide yourself with all GP defence and vitality. Focus on trapping players on your cloud while they are jumping, then freeze with cure. After freezing, proceed to pot smash for an easy OHKO.

If cash is an abundant option, castle lord is definitely the best set option for you. Wear castle lord and a castle lord ring so if you get countered while performing a cloud, you will still retain mp to punch your foe. Also against lires constant counters is very useful as opposed to silly counters.

A full attack set is also an important option for an alchemist. You'll find it insanely hard to actually -kill- a player if you do not have attack. I suggest a high attack (700+) with lower defence and vitality (200+) (200+). If there is a lire, you may wish to buff your defence and vitality as you will most likely be getting hit a LOT more often. Using an attack at 500 is also a great option if other players have balanced stats, as a cloud + punch combo should still manage to knock a player out.

If you're a GP player you're most likely going to want to stack up on defence and vitality. The problem with an all attack build is the lack of punch. When a player gets stuck in your cloud you won't have the attack power to KO them unless they have all attack as well.

Attack is also a plausible option, freezing a player in a cloud as they jump will definitely provide you with a good umph of attack if you decide to swirl under them. You won't need a huge amount of attack for this though, because a good 3x multihit through a cloud will most likely knock a player out.

With cash you have multiple options. Castle lord is still very plausible, and will continue to be as the infinite counter is very important. Warlock tornados can easily be cancelled which is sometimes a threat to cloud campers.

A stat set may also be plausible here. Attack is the highest priority as players with B+ have a good amount of vitality and defence. Generally as an alchemist I like to knock my opponents out in one cloud, otherwise they'll RUN and the opportunity to catch them again is dramatically decreased.

Defensive sets are also plausible, as I said before in the introduction, alchemist is very versatile. By wielding defense you can be sure of survival (for a good part) unless against a lire.

With the lack of punch, your damage will be suffering. High attack + good tactics are required for kills. High attack will provide you with the kill count to win.

Full defensive suits can provide you with the ability to survive so you can steal kills. If it comes down to 1v1 however, the battle will take a long time. If you can't knock out a player in one cloud kill + pot smash you are at a serious disadvantage.

I highly suggest full stats, really no brainer here. Alchemist in a stat-capless survival is a toss up, as knocking a player out is pretty difficult.

I highly suggest sticking to stat grade restricted games.

If cash is an option, you may use a castle lord set + a turtle shell to provide you with your essentials.

I also suggest stacking defence if castle lord is not an option for you, a punch + cloud should automatically knock someone out. It is essential to attempt to survive, as your teammate needs you to heal them. They damage deal, you keep them alive. Cloud will serve as a buff area when you both need to restore.

Focus on stacking defence and vitality. A cloud combo should automatically knock out a player when assisted with a pot smash.

One option is the castle lord set, and providing as a tank for your ally. Basically use the ability to counter as a super ability to rush in and heal your ally when required.

Another option is pure defence. Pure defence sets will keep you alive so you can keep your ally alive.

Focus on stacking defence and vitality, staying alive is the best way to keep your enemy alive.

Same thing, stack your castle lord with accessories to provide you the stat cap. Start to be more defensive than offensive at this point, as the damage output decreases.

Full defensive sets still work well here.

At this point you may struggle to get a full defence set. Wear as much as you can to top defence and put the rest into attack. Make sure you stay alive so your ally can stay alive. If you're a high hybrid attack tank you may want to place clouds and set up combos with your ally.

Stack all your armor. Depending on opponents just try to stay alive so you can keep your ally alive. They will most likely deal damage while you keep them alive. All stats is basically essential. I do not find castle lord to be suitable in high stat games.

Stack all your armor. Stay alive and deploy clouds to keep yourself alive. If there is a lire, pray, I don't think you'll make it unless you have a capable elesis. I suggest sticking to the lower stat games.

Gripping is a popular strategy among Alchemists. Alchemists have a few points that make this strategy just... work for them.

*Slow-mo clouds provide you the necessary time to judge where a body will be and how to react to it.
*There cure has an excellent stun rate and allows you to perform stun grips like none-other.
*Alchemist can multigrip off edges.
*You hit multiple times allowing you to pierce through bubbles.
*You can grip off your punch, watch them fly!
*If you miss your grip your pot smash still hurts.

How can you go about using these tactics you ask? Quite simple actually!

The most popular grips are "Delay grips" so lets start with those. Basic grip styles will not be discussed as of now.

In order to delay grip you must cast a skill with an adequate freeze rate (cure for us) and then grip a person's immobile body.

The most common delay grip is the one on players that are just getting up.

In order to perform this on a player you must follow these steps:
1. Grip a player.
2. As the grip is ending start charging mp
3. As they fall out of your pot smash, immediately release your mp.

4. The enemie will stand up (if they didn't counter) and will be an immobile body.
5. Run up and grip again.

A few warnings about this tactic.

*Spearman get up attacks and Dragon Knight get up attacks are extremely difficult to time with this and you can rarely grip them.
*Spearman 1 bar and 2 bar are ungrippable, as well as warlock 1 bar
*Crossbows and Mages sometimes dash as they get up, making it impossible for you to grip them.
*Be careful not to charge too much MP and release a 2 bar instead.
*Be careful of getting countered by pets.

Even if a player runs away they will still get pulled to you, It's impossible to escape if a player gets up improperly and the delay gripper knows what he's doing.

Delay grips are useful if a player is usually under half health. All 3 bars will result in 4 delay grips, 5 total (you regain 1 bar by the time you use up all 3), and will usually knock a player out.

Very Useful Tactic - LEARN IT!

Multiple gripping is quite easy once a player becomes accustom to it.

In order to grip an opponent multiple times you need a ledge. Have a player stand on the edge of the ledge, just enough so they'll fall off after you grip, then follow these steps:

* Have player set up on edge of ledge.
* Run up and grip player, waiting for all 4 bonks to complete.
* As your grip ends, immediately dash forward and hit z
* You should again grip your enemy as they fall
* Repeat up to 3 more times for a total of 4 grips, enemy will fall on their own

Many strategies can assist with multiple ledge gripping.

Booby traps can be placed slightly under a platform and a little in. When a player hits the mine they will immediately fly up onto your ledge, you may then dash forward and begin gripping them.

You can set up a multiple grip from a great height. After the third grip, jump down after your enemy and spin / place a cloud. It's additional damage you wouldn't of gotten if you instead did the grip.

The meat of alchemist, will be explained in greater detail (hence why I picked this as a stopping point, been typing this for a while.)

Expect a detailed explanation of this strategy, involving the use of Cloud Kill.

*space reserved*

*space reserved*

Cow 10-23-2008 12:31 AM

*space reserved*

*space reserved*

*space reserved*

Kudaranai 10-23-2008 03:59 AM

we can always delete Kowiz's post and you can post your guide. Awesome guide =o

Kowiz 10-23-2008 01:22 PM

that should be enough :o

Zabatoro 10-23-2008 08:08 PM

Good job Cow, good job :)

Milkshakes 10-24-2008 12:06 AM

Good job on the guide, but I'm deeply disturbed, and still laughing at all the fart moves Alchemist has.

Shazbot 10-24-2008 06:26 AM

*last editted by Kowiz*

Shazbot 10-25-2008 04:00 PM

just so EVERYONE knows, cow is lazy, and he seems to be updating the one on the ntreev forums more often. ;o

boooooz I don't see my pretty images here ;-;

Shnao 10-25-2008 04:45 PM

thanks Cow. <3 i love alchemist even moar nao.

Kudaranai 11-11-2008 10:15 PM

what, abandoned.

Egoose, give Cow his images.

Shazbot 11-12-2008 05:17 AM

b-bb-b-b-ut... i just realized they might be too small. ;-;

Shazbot 11-21-2008 05:28 AM

I guess i'll start making the lil pips~ The ones I have are too small, anyway. ._. Need to think of a new design, hmmm.

Pluberus 12-30-2008 04:55 AM

Excellent guide. Helped me a lot when playing Alchie, even though I don't like Alchemist much.. Btw, when are you gonna finish?

Also, someone got annoyed when I kept cure-grabbing them and said they would report me for exploiting a delay bug. Is this real or was this person just bluffing to intimidate me?

Nihil679 12-30-2008 03:30 PM

Bluff to intimidate. There is no such thing as a delay bug, as far as I know. If there was, there would be a world-wide announcement made by the GM.

Shazbot 12-30-2008 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Pluberus (Post 645660)
Excellent guide. Helped me a lot when playing Alchie, even though I don't like Alchemist much.. Btw, when are you gonna finish?

Also, someone got annoyed when I kept cure-grabbing them and said they would report me for exploiting a delay bug. Is this real or was this person just bluffing to intimidate me?

Cow apparently lost him "internet package" and has reverted back to Dial-Up, even though we all know his connection felt lower than Dial-Up anyway. :3 So yeah...he takes even 5 minutes just to load Ntreev's forums, imagine loading MyMMOGames, which almost everything is a custom image. :(