12-24-2009   #1 (permalink)
Φύλακας πρισμάτων

Zamte will become famous soon enoughZamte will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Zamte
IGN: Zamte
Class: Card Master to_cardmaster
Level: 101
Default "No Authentication"

Anybody else getting this error? I got it once yesterday, but it was fixed later on. Today however, I got it the entire time I was on GC, then I went to play Mass Effect, spent probably five hours doing so, checking periodically throughout and after that, and it's still messed up. Tommorrow is Christmas, and following that is the weekend. Is this really not going to get fixed until Monday? If I lose 24 rolls over this, I am going to be ticked off.

EDIT: Figured out the problem. Ntreev has sunken low enough to employ the use of iesnare now. If you block it, as I have previously, you can no longer log into any of their websites. So now this thread is about how angry it makes me that Ntreev is using barely-legal tracking cookies to try to manipulate us.

Last edited by Zamte; 12-25-2009 at 05:46 AM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
12-27-2009   #2 (permalink)
Custom User Title
Games
Puzzle PiratesAtlantica OnlineGrand ChaseRunescape
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Noctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really nice

I'm a computer noob so I was wondering. What's iesnare and what does it do?

12-28-2009   #3 (permalink)
Φύλακας πρισμάτων

iesnare is basically a tracking cookie. What the company that created it does, is keeps a database of specific IDs. Each PC that has iesnare installed in it's browsers gets a specific ID. This allows them to sell the information to various game companies, and other online services. Their supposed intention is to allow them to use the information to track when people make bad credit card purchases, or chargeback, so others can blacklist them. However, it's possible to be, and has been, used for other purposes. Since the tracking cookie keeps tabs of whatever you buy, whenever you buy it, they're basically assembling a database of users who spend money online. This can be used to target specific ads, events, and offers only at users who're likely to spend money. This means game developers using iesnare could decide to offer incentive events, such as cash bonuses, or cash giving events only to people they know have cashed in other games. This would mean that games could, and likely would, become even more split, with the companies able to safely ignore any user who hasn't used cash to purchase in other games, and then GP players could be entirely ignored until/unless they spend cash. This would make the free to play model even worse, as the games would literally be pointless to play, because the developers would have gained the ability to tell who they should ignore and who they shouldn't ignore.

For this reason, I'm totally against it. It's a tracking cookie, it's tracking my purchases, even if it's not saving my credit card info, it's an invasion of my privacy and should not be legally allowable. I've watched the MMO industry from near it's beginnings, and it's only sunk further down the hole as it's gone on. I'd like to see it not continue to do so with the aid of tools like these.

12-29-2009   #4 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerSotW Beginner

Shazbot is a jewel in the roughShazbot is a jewel in the roughShazbot is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Shazbot
IGN: Shazbot
Class: IM/LM/FM/CM/DS/Necro/Witch to_wizard
Level: 64/60/57/42/42/41/41
Guild: Itadakimasu

Should give this a read. Apparently zynga uses iesnare too, and somewhat did wrote things about removing it, I guess? o-o'

http://www.chatotex.com/Mwarscookie.pdf

Read the whole thing, not just page 3. :<

I'm on GW2! Except I don't know my own Account name!

12-29-2009   #5 (permalink)
Φύλακας πρισμάτων

Yeah. Mafia Wars is where I first encountered it, and is the reason I had it blocked. However once Ntreev started using it, it made it impossible to log into their websites, so now I'm forced to allow it access.

12-29-2009   #6 (permalink)
(^▽^#)ノシ
Special
Games
Alicia
Awards Retired Division HeadPervert Award

Kowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Kowiz

Ntreev used it for a while.

And then their forums got spammed.

Then they made it mandatory.

12-29-2009   #7 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Addict

Kupo is on a distinguished road

I remember complaining about this when atlantica online suddenly had it... It was promptly deleted.

01-16-2011   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Zedoshi is on a distinguished road
IGN: Zedoshi, NotCow
Class: Treasure Hunter to_schoolgirl
Level: 14x, 5x
Guild: Pulse

Yeh, figured it out.

My calendar was off. :l

Last edited by Zedoshi; 01-22-2011 at 10:14 AM.