Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
09-17-2010   #1 (permalink)
Crescent Fresh
Special
Games
Ragnarok OnlineTrickster OnlineLuniaPangya
Awards Facebook FanTwitter Fan

NoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to NoeJeko Send a message via MSN to NoeJeko Send a message via Skype™ to NoeJeko
IGN: NoeJeko
Class: Warrior lt_warrior
Level: 23
Guild: Kirameki
Default Donation Program Closure

Hi everyone,

On September 30th a long-running program on ggFTW will be closing -- the donation program. We sincerely appreciate everyone who’s helped support us so far; donations have covered 17.5% of all server/bandwidth costs since our inception. The last day that members can donate and enjoy an ad-free experience forever will be September 30th.

In the wake of the MT fallout I said I'd be transparent on where donation money went and guaranteed that money would only go to server and bandwidth costs. To date, our server and bandwidth cost has been $11,808.43. Total donations have been $2064.89. Every cent of donation money was applied to server costs -- other things we’ve done have either been funded through ad revenue, subscription revenue, or me personally. Unless we receive in excess of $9,738.54 in donations by the end of the month, this will be the last report on donation income.

The current "postbit subscription" will be converted to a "ggFTW Premium" membership. By subscribing to ggFTW Premium (name subject to change), members will enjoy an ad-free experience for the duration of their subscriptions, the ability to customize your forum post backgrounds, and a warm fuzzy feeling of supporting the ggFTW community.

Current site features that are free will remain free, forever. People who have donated to receive a lifetime ad-free experience will also receive that experience forever.

Current ggFTW Premium subscription costs are as follows:

• $5.00 - 1 month
  • $14.00 - 3 months
  • $26.00 - 6 months
  • $50.00 - 1 year
We know that changing your background and ad-free experience isn’t much to offer in terms of benefits for premium members but we’re torn between our guarantee to leave major site features free to use and trying to offer desirable features to premium members. We’re open to suggestions on this one -- just ask yourself "what would make you pay for a ggFTW premium membership?"

Again, a huge thanks to everyone who’s helped support us over the years and a pre-emptive thank you to those who offer your continual support – whether it be as a paying member or just an active community member. Remember, money isn’t the only way you help ggFTW succeed; being active and sharing our community with friends is also very valuable to us and your fellow community members.

More...
[ggFTW on Twitter][ggFTW on Facebook][NoeJeko on Twitter]

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
09-17-2010   #2 (permalink)
SOC
"God is my Judge."
Special
Games
La TaleFinal Fantasy XIRagnarok OnlineMapleStory
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

SOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to SOC
IGN: Fortuleo
Class: Duelist/Judgement lt_gunslinger
Level: 142/152
Guild: GoldenDawn

So basically donations aren't being closed... just downgraded to a subscription based status where you have to keep donating for donation benefits, and current donors don't have to worry about this?

09-17-2010   #3 (permalink)
Crescent Fresh
Special
Games

NoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to NoeJeko Send a message via MSN to NoeJeko Send a message via Skype™ to NoeJeko

Eh.. somewhat. Your last point is precisely valid -- no current donor will have anything they've been given removed, ever. We're looking to expand the benefits of Premium memberships and if we add new features to that they will not be applied retroactively to donors because it's handled by two different systems. Current subscribers do not see an ad-free ggFTW -- this will change once donations close down on the 30th.

There's a bit of logic behind this. First, donations appear too "hobbyish" and we are most definitely not someone's hobby. That perception is hampering my ability to work with some major publishers and keep bringing us cool things. Second, any "plugin" we run slows down innovation as we have to check compatibility of all third party plugins before we can deploy new features. This can take hours or days so I'm trying to cut back the number of plugins we use that weren't specifically developed by us.

09-17-2010   #4 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
MabinogiDC Universe OnlineVindictusLineage II
Awards Admin AwardMost Valuable StaffStaff AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularMoM AwardSotW SeniorHarem JuniorLucky StreakArtifact HoarderFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Harlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Harlequin Send a message via MSN to Harlequin Send a message via Skype™ to Harlequin
IGN: Cecilia Juelle
Class: Monk/Goldsmith lt_treasurehunter
Level: 50
Guild: Rapscallions
Xfire: glarbage

I'm under the assumption that people who are on the postbit subscription (automatic renewal) will just be converted over to the new system automatically, and won't have to cancel it with Paypal and pick it up again, under the new name? :V

09-17-2010   #5 (permalink)
Crescent Fresh
Special
Games

Nope, no cancellations or conversions. The subscriptions are a native vBulletin system and are much easier to manage. The donations are a 3rd party plugin.

09-17-2010   #6 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
MabinogiDC Universe OnlineVindictusLineage II
Awards Admin AwardMost Valuable StaffStaff AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularMoM AwardSotW SeniorHarem JuniorLucky StreakArtifact HoarderFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Harlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Harlequin Send a message via MSN to Harlequin Send a message via Skype™ to Harlequin
IGN: Cecilia Juelle
Class: Monk/Goldsmith lt_treasurehunter
Level: 50
Guild: Rapscallions
Xfire: glarbage

Good good. I'm excited to see what's to come, and I'll continue to subscribe regardless. :v

09-17-2010   #7 (permalink)
On the Radio
Special
Games
MapleStoryAudition 2PangyaTrickster Online
Awards Event WinnerSotW Junior

Kebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Kebin Send a message via Skype™ to Kebin
IGN: Kevin
Class: (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ lt_bard
Level: 19
Guild: (◕‿◕✿)

I wanted to donate a couple days ago but I dont know how :|

09-17-2010   #8 (permalink)
Crescent Fresh
Special
Games

Anyone that wants to get a last-minute donation in can do so here :

ggFTW Donations

09-17-2010   #9 (permalink)
On the Radio
Special
Games
MapleStoryAudition 2PangyaTrickster Online
Awards Event WinnerSotW Junior

Kebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Kebin Send a message via Skype™ to Kebin
IGN: Kevin
Class: (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ lt_bard
Level: 19
Guild: (◕‿◕✿)

Done~ Thanks :0

09-17-2010   #10 (permalink)
私は君のためなら何でもする, my Love
Special

FlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to FlamesBlader Send a message via MSN to FlamesBlader
IGN: iFlames
Class: Any
Level: 30
Guild: Expired

I'll try to donate next week

09-19-2010   #11 (permalink)
Retired
Special
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterTrickster OnlineLa TaleGunbound
Awards Retired Forum Moderator

zgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to zgmfx19a
IGN: Nek0 / Nek0Yasha(RIP)
Class: Zooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoeJeko
and a warm fuzzy feeling of supporting the ggFTW community.
Laughed at this.

I've always wondered what's the difference between donating and purchasing post-bits. Well I guess that is one less thing to think about for now.

50USD a year subscription is definitely quite attractive in terms of the 10 bucks (which works out to be a decent sum when converted to my currency) discount, but I am not too sure if I will still frequent this forum by then (you never know). So that's my immediate headache for now.

09-20-2010   #12 (permalink)
私は君のためなら何でもする, my Love
Special

FlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud of

Donated a little bit

09-20-2010   #13 (permalink)
Tarpzilla
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineGrand ChaseHello Kitty OnlineLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffMr. ggFTW

Seru has a reputation beyond reputeSeru has a reputation beyond reputeSeru has a reputation beyond reputeSeru has a reputation beyond reputeSeru has a reputation beyond reputeSeru has a reputation beyond reputeSeru has a reputation beyond reputeSeru has a reputation beyond reputeSeru has a reputation beyond reputeSeru has a reputation beyond reputeSeru has a reputation beyond repute

I donated a little as well...I have to admit the warm and fuzzy feeling was what tempted me.

Everyday I look into the mirror in my room and realize that I need a step stool. B> height ;_;

09-21-2010   #14 (permalink)
私は君のためなら何でもする, my Love
Special

I feel warm and fuzzy too LMAO

09-21-2010   #15 (permalink)
User Error
Games
MapleStoryEden Eternal
Awards Event Winner

Fuzzy is a glorious beacon of lightFuzzy is a glorious beacon of lightFuzzy is a glorious beacon of lightFuzzy is a glorious beacon of lightFuzzy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesBlader
I feel warm and fuzzy too LMAO
I am Fuzzy.

If I had money, I'd so donate... :/

09-21-2010   #16 (permalink)
ahhhhh wait
Special
Games
MabinogiDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon SagaDragon Nest
Awards Most Valuable DivisionAdmin AwardMost Valuable StaffMoM AwardWandering Eye

Sandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Sandrie
Class: ~ lt_sorcerer
Level: e

Is paypal the only way to donate? :x

09-21-2010   #17 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Tardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoeJeko
Current site features that are free will remain free, forever. People who have donated to receive a lifetime ad-free experience will also receive that experience forever.
More...
So does that mean that those of us donators who have already donated will still keep an ad-free ggFTW?

09-21-2010   #18 (permalink)
doki doki freestyle only
Special
Games
Sword 2MabinogiTrickster OnlineRagnarok Online
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Beginner

Ascherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ascherit
Level: weak
Guild: SOS Brigade

Got my donation in 8D

these swimming gays ruined my life

09-21-2010   #19 (permalink)
Crescent Fresh
Special
Games

@Momiji - yes.

09-21-2010   #20 (permalink)
The Truth Is, I Love You ♥
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineLa TaleRagnarok OnlineLegend of Edda
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerLucky StreakTreasure HunterFacebook FanTwitter Fan

Esper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond reputeEsper has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: BabyTakumi
Class: Maestro
Guild: FrenchBread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrie
Is paypal the only way to donate? :x
I believe that is the only way for donations as of right now.

Home is where someone is thinking about you ▪ crafting resource guidesymphonyblog
健全なる魂は ◦ 健全なる精神と ◦ 健全なる肉体に宿る ◦