ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   ggFTW News (http://ggftw.com/forum/ggftw-news/)
-   -   Donation Program Closure (http://ggftw.com/forum/ggftw-news/82508-donation-program-closure.html)

NoeJeko 09-17-2010 08:30 AM

Donation Program Closure

Hi everyone,

On September 30th a long-running program on ggFTW will be closing -- the donation program. We sincerely appreciate everyone who’s helped support us so far; donations have covered 17.5% of all server/bandwidth costs since our inception. The last day that members can donate and enjoy an ad-free experience forever will be September 30th.

In the wake of the MT fallout I said I'd be transparent on where donation money went and guaranteed that money would only go to server and bandwidth costs. To date, our server and bandwidth cost has been $11,808.43. Total donations have been $2064.89. Every cent of donation money was applied to server costs -- other things we’ve done have either been funded through ad revenue, subscription revenue, or me personally. Unless we receive in excess of $9,738.54 in donations by the end of the month, this will be the last report on donation income.

The current "postbit subscription" will be converted to a "ggFTW Premium" membership. By subscribing to ggFTW Premium (name subject to change), members will enjoy an ad-free experience for the duration of their subscriptions, the ability to customize your forum post backgrounds, and a warm fuzzy feeling of supporting the ggFTW community.

Current site features that are free will remain free, forever. People who have donated to receive a lifetime ad-free experience will also receive that experience forever.

Current ggFTW Premium subscription costs are as follows:

• $5.00 - 1 month
  • $14.00 - 3 months
  • $26.00 - 6 months
  • $50.00 - 1 year
We know that changing your background and ad-free experience isn’t much to offer in terms of benefits for premium members but we’re torn between our guarantee to leave major site features free to use and trying to offer desirable features to premium members. We’re open to suggestions on this one -- just ask yourself "what would make you pay for a ggFTW premium membership?"

Again, a huge thanks to everyone who’s helped support us over the years and a pre-emptive thank you to those who offer your continual support – whether it be as a paying member or just an active community member. Remember, money isn’t the only way you help ggFTW succeed; being active and sharing our community with friends is also very valuable to us and your fellow community members.

More...

SOC 09-17-2010 08:34 AM

So basically donations aren't being closed... just downgraded to a subscription based status where you have to keep donating for donation benefits, and current donors don't have to worry about this?

NoeJeko 09-17-2010 08:40 AM

Eh.. somewhat. Your last point is precisely valid -- no current donor will have anything they've been given removed, ever. We're looking to expand the benefits of Premium memberships and if we add new features to that they will not be applied retroactively to donors because it's handled by two different systems. Current subscribers do not see an ad-free ggFTW -- this will change once donations close down on the 30th.

There's a bit of logic behind this. First, donations appear too "hobbyish" and we are most definitely not someone's hobby. That perception is hampering my ability to work with some major publishers and keep bringing us cool things. Second, any "plugin" we run slows down innovation as we have to check compatibility of all third party plugins before we can deploy new features. This can take hours or days so I'm trying to cut back the number of plugins we use that weren't specifically developed by us.

Harlequin 09-17-2010 10:29 AM

I'm under the assumption that people who are on the postbit subscription (automatic renewal) will just be converted over to the new system automatically, and won't have to cancel it with Paypal and pick it up again, under the new name? :V

NoeJeko 09-17-2010 10:33 AM

Nope, no cancellations or conversions. The subscriptions are a native vBulletin system and are much easier to manage. The donations are a 3rd party plugin.

Harlequin 09-17-2010 10:34 AM

Good good. I'm excited to see what's to come, and I'll continue to subscribe regardless. :v

Kebin 09-17-2010 01:26 PM

I wanted to donate a couple days ago but I dont know how :|

NoeJeko 09-17-2010 01:30 PM

Anyone that wants to get a last-minute donation in can do so here :) :

ggFTW Donations

Kebin 09-17-2010 01:34 PM

Done~ Thanks :0

FlamesBlader 09-17-2010 02:32 PM

I'll try to donate next week ;)

zgmfx19a 09-19-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoeJeko (Post 1346584)
and a warm fuzzy feeling of supporting the ggFTW community.

Laughed at this.

I've always wondered what's the difference between donating and purchasing post-bits. Well I guess that is one less thing to think about for now.

50USD a year subscription is definitely quite attractive in terms of the 10 bucks (which works out to be a decent sum when converted to my currency) discount, but I am not too sure if I will still frequent this forum by then (you never know). So that's my immediate headache for now.

FlamesBlader 09-20-2010 07:14 AM

Donated a little bit ;)

Seru 09-20-2010 11:25 AM

I donated a little as well...I have to admit the warm and fuzzy feeling was what tempted me.

FlamesBlader 09-21-2010 06:16 AM

I feel warm and fuzzy too LMAO ;)

Fuzzy 09-21-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlamesBlader (Post 1350446)
I feel warm and fuzzy too LMAO ;)

I am Fuzzy.

If I had money, I'd so donate... :/

Sandrie 09-21-2010 08:54 PM

Is paypal the only way to donate? :x

Tardar 09-21-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoeJeko (Post 1346584)
Current site features that are free will remain free, forever. People who have donated to receive a lifetime ad-free experience will also receive that experience forever.
More...

So does that mean that those of us donators who have already donated will still keep an ad-free ggFTW?

Ascherit 09-21-2010 09:26 PM

Got my donation in 8D

NoeJeko 09-21-2010 09:44 PM

@Momiji - yes.

Esper 09-21-2010 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandrie (Post 1351030)
Is paypal the only way to donate? :x

I believe that is the only way for donations as of right now.